As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I really hope we get some meaty story DLC for this game. Can't wait for a sequel.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I had a great moment while I was talking to Nil after clearing a bandit camp.
    My overridden Broadhead (who I named B3-3F) was patiently waiting in the background, and some patrolling Carja guards went past.
    Then a Scrapper attacked them.
    Aloy and Nil calmly continued their conversation while B3-3F saved those guards by kicking the Scrapper to death behind her.
    Then I completely failed to save the video so I could post it, because I didn't know how.

After getting the skill where whistle will summon a new overridden mount if you didn't have one, I had fun using that offensively.

Enemies coming through the gate? Just whistle and watch the carnage ensue!

Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Also I'm in agreement with my brother.

The fact that you can't use a Sawtooth as a mount is some ol' bullshit.

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Btw

Is the ravager a reference to transformers?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dragkonias wrote: »

The fact that you can't use a SawtoothThunderjaw as a mount is some ol' bullshit.

Agreed.

Also, idea for DLC/future games. How about some high-tech stealth armor? If Stalkers have it, surely we can come up with something you can wear.
    It'll be stupidly overpowered, but so what?

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

The fact that you can't use a SawtoothThunderjaw as a mount is some ol' bullshit.

Agreed.

Also, idea for DLC/future games. How about some high-tech stealth armor? If Stalkers have it, surely we can come up with something you can wear.

By the end of that game, I wasn't terribly concerned about any machine that wasn't one of the big four, and humans were a joke. I ran into the last two bandit camps yelling and waving a stick around and just wiped the floor with them in three minutes.

I am curious to see what their DLC plans are, if any. Maybe they're just done. It would be kind of refreshing for them to be like "yep here is our complete game, that's how it's done" and then get to work on the sequel.

Ceno on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Agreed.

Ending thing:
    Was a little sad that Aloy didn't go all Tarzan by recruiting a bunch of Thunderjaws and Stormbirds to beat up on Hades. Ah well.

Also I think that stealth thing is in the game already. Just slap two stealth mods into the stealth armor and laugh and laugh and laugh.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

Agreed.

Ending thing:
    Was a little sad that Aloy didn't go all Tarzan by recruiting a bunch of Thunderjaws and Stormbirds to beat up on Hades. Ah well.

Also I think that stealth thing is in the game already. Just slap two stealth mods into the stealth armor and laugh and laugh and laugh.

Yeah, I'll also confirm this; putting 2 mods into the stealth armour seems to make you more or less invisible against nearly all enemies, except perhaps the Rockbreaker who seems to not care.

Shooting anything else from a distance with that armour set-up seemed to cause a lot of problems for the rest of the enemies.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    So I finally finished the story and got the Plat trophy. Amusingly the last achievement I had to hunt down was to go kill a Charger. Apparently I never had up to that point.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    My fear with the DLC is that'll be "hey here's a bunch of combat challenges or some shit, see you in the sequel!"

Relatedly, that challenge where you have to stomp 2 ravengers with a disc launcher can go step on a lego. Finally got it down, but gosh the timing was tight. Only hard part was lugging the dang weapon from one side of the area to the other fast enough.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Yeah, but I want the cool invisible effect.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

The fact that you can't use a Sawtooth as a mount is some ol' bullshit.

Forget the Sawtooth. After wrestling a Stormbird to the ground and hacking it, I should be able to ride that thing like a dragon!

Mobile-D on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    My fear with the DLC is that'll be "hey here's a bunch of combat challenges or some shit, see you in the sequel!"

Relatedly, that challenge where you have to stomp 2 ravengers with a disc launcher can go step on a lego. Finally got it down, but gosh the timing was tight. Only hard part was lugging the dang weapon from one side of the area to the other fast enough.

The one where you have to control two Ravagers and use them to take down a Thunderjaw is the one that annoyed me the most. You get 2 minutes and 40 seconds to do it IIRC, and I was taking 2:42, 2:47, 2:45, 2:41, etc. And then one attempt everything went perfectly and I got in someone like 1:45.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

Is that with the special armour? I imagine it would make things easier as it seems to stop you getting knocked down while your shields are up.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I actually feel stealth is a bit too powerful and maybe needs to be toned down while offering more ways to avoid detection within the environment.

Cause towards the end I was just walking up and stabbing things.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    But then I have to get my mac working again to use itunes, because itunes on Windows is awful.

Come on Amazon, get your shit together so I can code while listening to soothing music. :(
    Are you already at your limit for uploading MP3s? I'm on Amazon as well, and they allow you to upload up to 250 tracks for free (250,000 tracks for a small yearly fee). If you acquire the soundtrack, you can add it Amazon Music via that method.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Man, stormbirds. Thought it was a flinthawk in the distance and thought it was weird that it didn't crash like it used to. Turned out it was a stormbird. Took me around half an hour to take that thing down.

Also this sight was absolutely amazing.
    685bcij1etxy.jpg

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

Is that with the special armour? I imagine it would make things easier as it seems to stop you getting knocked down while your shields are up.

Never actually got that actually.

It wasnt so much that things were hitting me, as I could stealth burst the launcher off every time. It was more about how long it took to find the cats with the heavy ass gun slowing me down.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

It wasnt so much that things were hitting me, as I could stealth burst the launcher off every time. It was more about how long it took to find the cats with the heavy ass gun slowing me down.

That was the roughest hunter challenge for me as well; but I took the route of overriding the Thunderjaw and then pulling the Ravagers to it. I don't think it matters whether the Thunderjaw uses its disc launchers or just stomps the Ravagers to death, it counts towards the objectives either way.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I'm not that far in the game, so maybe this happens later. But what I'd want to see in the next Horizon game is eventually mankind starts creating robo animals that they crawl inside like a mech and control. No mount controlling bullshit, you ARE the Thunderjaw.

Then they could add a really simple multiplayer aspect to it as DLC, and you have post-apocalyptic Titanfall with giant mech dinosaurs.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options

That was the roughest hunter challenge for me as well; but I took the route of overriding the Thunderjaw and then pulling the Ravagers to it. I don't think it matters whether the Thunderjaw uses its disc launchers or just stomps the Ravagers to death, it counts towards the objectives either way.

Yea, this is the challenge where I learned that even a single tearblast arrow that detaches a weapon is enough to kick a monster out of override. That hurt since I was right next to the Thunderjaw at the time....

What worked for me was crouch up to the Thunderjaw into override range, shoot the tear blast arrow and then begin override. The explosion will rip the launcher just before the override so Mr Bitey will still be friendly. Shoot an arrow or two at the big cats to get them to come play with you and your friend. I just ripped one of them apart immediately with the disc launcher and then waited for the Thunderjaw to soften up the second one to finish it off.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So far the harder challenge for me is the one where I need to kill 3 watchers. I keep getting a fail after killing 2 where it says there are not enough machines.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    So far the harder challenge for me is the one where I need to kill 3 watchers. I keep getting a fail after killing 2 where it says there are not enough machines.

They have to be stealth kills, that might be the problem

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

For that one I ended up booking it right to the Thunderjaw and pissing him off before breaking the disc launchers. Broke them, tied down the thunderjaw so he would shut up, and by then the ravagers were actively attacking me so didn't have to run far from the weapons.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Personally, I found that the soundtrack was my only real disappointment with the game. None of the ambient or combat or theme music really worked for me. There was exactly one track where I thought "well, this is OK" (it plays after you go through the mission where you find out what Zero Dawn is), and I don't like it enough to bother adding to my collection of video game music. Beyond that one track, for my tastes, the music ranged from entirely forgettable to "meh."

Not me. Its ambient stuff as you explore, get in fights, creep through forests is all gorgeous. I want the OST.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    That return back to All Mother after the Sun Ring, what a ride.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The Kill All Acquisitions trophy hasn't popped for me yet and I am hoping I'm not screwed out of a well earned platinum.

My candidate is
    Rockbreaker. Since I have only killed the one in the quarry quest and the two at the corruption zone. The statistics do say "1" after rockbreaker though. All the other types have more listed as killed in the statistics page.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    The Kill All Acquisitions trophy hasn't popped for me yet and I am hoping I'm not screwed out of a well earned platinum.

My candidate is
    Rockbreaker. Since I have only killed the one in the quarry quest and the two at the corruption zone. The statistics do say "1" after rockbreaker though. All the other types have more listed as killed in the statistics page.

Trampler was mine. Popped right after I killed one.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    That return back to All Mother after the Sun Ring, what a ride.

That's the track I was referring to as the only one that I thought rated better than "meh."

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I want to take a moment to recognize how wonderful the character designs in this game are. The first two outlanders you meet, Olin and Erend, are so atypical. Erend with that hair and moustache, Olin being a gruff bald dude with sleeve tats... I love it. They could have easily been "standard fantasy characters 101 and 102," but nope.

• Options
    Rockbreaker didn't do it. Neither did trampler. Really starting to worry now because all the rest have 3 or more kills already on the stats page.

• Options
    Oh, it was me who was being dumb. I thought all names were listed there... but then I noticed Charger was missing. Case closed. :)

• Options
    Oh, it was me who was being dumb. I thought all names were listed there... but then I noticed Charger was missing. Case closed. :)

Ha ha. That's exactly what I posted about earlier today! I think Chargers just show up so late that you don't need basic parts anymore and they aren't aggressive enough that killing them is easier than ignoring them.

• Options

Ha ha. That's exactly what I posted about earlier today! I think Chargers just show up so late that you don't need basic parts anymore and they aren't aggressive enough that killing them is easier than ignoring them.

I don't think I even knew they were different from broadheads. :P

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    That first Cauldron was worth being super late with dinner. So many questions! Also I guess I should get myself over to Meridian so I can buy some of these weapons you all speak of. Being able to put "freeze" on a robit sounds fun!

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Finally beat this! What a great game.
    Good setup for a sequel, with all the AIs running around (with Demeter probably the source of the metal flowers as previously discussed, and also a tribute to Elisabet around her body, as that same triangle surrounded some of the flowers). I am still hungry for answers about the source of the signal that unleashed those AIs (if it's Ted somehow I hope we get to fucking murder him), and I'm curious about the original glitch that caused the swarms to slip their leash. Maybe connected? Who knows.

I have to admit, I wanted a riders of Rohan moment where Meridian was besieged by a great horde of machines and then Aloy crests a rise on striderback, with the army of Nora, and roars "FOLLOW!" and charges down into them. But I have a weakness for melodrama I suppose.

One complaint was a sort of typical ending complaint for genre and action media: the end was just about who's the best at fighting. The final confrontation was Aloy beating the snot out of machines, and Hades having miscalculated her combat ability. That's kind of disappointing. I always like when the ending involves a key decision or a matter of values or philosophy, or at least a cunning plan, or the classic act of sacrifice, or etc. I'm not a big Star Wars fan but it's a great example in genre fiction: the day is won not because Luke is a better warrior, but because he has enough compassion and rock-solid conviction in his father's humanity, somewhere under that mask and years of horror, to save him.

Everything up to that i really loved, and the final explanation for the grim scenes in that first bunker was really powerful. The sacrifice, the desperate hope, the mad audacity of their plan, the people who were unable to handle the idea, etc.--a wonderful subversion of the usual post apocalypse story. Kind of blew me away, and made me think hard about what we're doing to our world, and closely read that article about the loading machine that crushed a woman's head recently...

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

I had to get creative with this one, I tamed the ravager on the right, ran over to the left and had the ravengers fighting each other. Knocked off the disc launcher and killed the victor. Shot the corpse of the other one and got the Blazing Sun.

So long as I don't have to fight 2 burrowers ever again we're cool Horizon, we're cool.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    A person in this thread gave me the idea of using an overridden machine against others. I hadn't thought of it because the last time I had one right next to a machine that was killing me it just sat there, lol. So tip, Chargers will fuck some shit up. But now I have a good grasp on how things went bad. Haven't seen the solution yet, but it'd have to be pretty drastic.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »

They have to be stealth kills, that might be the problem

It was. I did not read that part at first. Thank you, I got it done pretty fast.

Is there a recommended area to kill fish? I need bones for upgrades.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    The lake on the western side of the map is the best for fish.

This discussion has been closed.