As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I've been trying to lure the Ravagers close to the Thunderjaw and then hitting it with corruption arrows but it takes forever.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Yeah, I always found it tricky to rely on them killing each other. Even if it works, it can just take too long with all the dodging and snarling and roaring and so on.
    Much easier to just take their weapons and show them how it's done.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    I have a question for those who've beaten this, as I am only about half-way through I think. If someone could just give a "yes", "no, or "sort of" as a response to my spoiler below, I'd appreciate it!
    So, my wife was watching me play this the other night, when she asked, "where are all the predators?". I hadn't really considered that yet, but sure enough, the only animals I've encountered have been literally raccoons, boars, foxes, rats, and salmon in the water. Does the game ever explain as to why all the predators are gone?" I think I know the answer, but we'll see...

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I have a question for those who've beaten this, as I am only about half-way through I think. If someone could just give a "yes", "no, or "sort of" as a response to my spoiler below, I'd appreciate it!
    So, my wife was watching me play this the other night, when she asked, "where are all the predators?". I hadn't really considered that yet, but sure enough, the only animals I've encountered have been literally raccoons, boars, foxes, rats, and salmon in the water. Does the game ever explain as to why all the predators are gone?" I think I know the answer, but we'll see...

yes! there is are a few journal entries lying around that explain the state of the world in more detail.

practically speaking the fauna is simple because that's not the focus of the game but they have an in-game reason for it.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    @GoodKingJayIII — You're really making me want to dive back into this game and explore the new photography options.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Wait, there are new photography options? Did they add some in a patch? Dammit! I uninstalled it after I beat it, and now my friend has just asked if he can borrow it.

• Options
    yeah I just noticed that. you can pose Aloy in a bunch of funny/saucy positions or just remove her altogether!

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

yes! there is are a few journal entries lying around that explain the state of the world in more detail.

practically speaking the fauna is simple because that's not the focus of the game but they have an in-game reason for it.

I just want to say for about the 1000th time, I love how well the writing tied together and lampshaded different aspects of the world. That the vertebrate fauna of the world that we see is limited to geese, turkeys, boars, raccoons, foxes, rats, trout, and salmon, has an actual explanation that makes sense, and that's awesome.

My favorite thing is the reason why Thunderjaws exist.
    Because GAIA liked dinosaurs.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    GoodKingJayIII — You're really making me want to dive back into this game and explore the new photography options.

More where that came from!

c4he2ovjfhwt.jpg

2sahfo6p48u8.jpg

2t9mwrix3ed3.jpg

kvegsagry8t9.jpg

dpa26kshllak.jpg

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I was more drawn into its conversations and character arcs than any RPG I've played in recent memory, and it helped that the art style was so impressive - at times, it felt like a Fantasy Fantasy game with terrific real-time combat.

In the first few days of the release of the game, a couple of people in this thread were comparing not just the art but the plot to a Final Fantasy game.
    I was in that group! (I think.) I don't know how you would describe that art style - it's like... the FF9 medieval/bronze age high fantasy look? Is there a name for that? Lot of gold colors and crimson and royal blue and elaborate stone work and headdresses and feathers? What would we call that?
    I haven't even attempted most of the trials yet. I'm not really looking forward to banging my head against that.
    Don't sweat it at all, just save it for late-game. Once you're powered up, it's honestly fun and quick. I think I did all of the trials in a couple of hours or less. When I tried to do some near the beginning of the game, I was like, "This is neither fun nor interesting."

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I've been trying to lure the Ravagers close to the Thunderjaw and then hitting it with corruption arrows but it takes forever.

There's some grass near the Thunderjaw that you can get into and whistle it over. Thunderjaws can detect you in grass, but you have enough time before it finds you to override it. Then the hard part is pulling the ravagers to it.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I just want to say for about the 1000th time, I love how well the writing tied together and lampshaded different aspects of the world. That the vertebrate fauna of the world that we see is limited to geese, turkeys, boars, raccoons, foxes, rats, trout, and salmon, has an actual explanation that makes sense, and that's awesome.

My favorite thing is the reason why Thunderjaws exist.
    Because GAIA liked dinosaurs.

Well, that and
    the fact that Hepheastus thinks that we are a problem and thinks we need to be culled.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm max level with stacked purple mods in all my equipment, and based on what I've read the lodge weapons aren't that much better than the shadow weapons. I just don't really like these kinds of trials in games, but I may actually go for Platinum in this game so I'll have to tackle them.

Interestingly, I just grabbed the Shieldweaver armor but I keep using the Heavy Shadow Carja whats-it-called because Aloy looks so fucking dope. That helmet is incredible.

Shieldweaver though... Jesus, it's basically Invincibility mode.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    GoodKingJayIII — You're really making me want to dive back into this game and explore the new photography options.

<SNIP>

You should enter the photo contest!!

• Options
    Yeah, I'm max level with stacked purple mods in all my equipment, and based on what I've read the lodge weapons aren't that much better than the shadow weapons. I just don't really like these kinds of trials in games, but I may actually go for Platinum in this game so I'll have to tackle them.

Interestingly, I just grabbed the Shieldweaver armor but I keep using the Heavy Shadow Carja whats-it-called because Aloy looks so fucking dope. That helmet is incredible.

Shieldweaver though... Jesus, it's basically Invincibility mode.

It's... yeah. It's invincibility. I love it so much.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I know they "nerfed" it a bit, but I love the Shieldweaver armor for actually being a worthwhile thing to obtain and that it can be acquired before the final fight.

• Options
    Kochikens wrote: »

<SNIP>

You should enter the photo contest!!

Ooh, thanks! I did just that.

• Options
    Also, I took this vod last night. Behold, the majestic Storm Bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSBgFzOwKAM

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I'm bad at games, and I didn't find the trials to be too bad on the whole. I never had to do any of them more than 5 times, and most were done on my first or second try.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Also, I took this vod last night. Behold, the majestic Storm Bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSBgFzOwKAM

I didn't watch this when you sent it to me last night and just got around to it. I had to basically put my head under my desk at work to avoid bursting into laughter.

Reminds me of this BF1 glitch that I saw on reddit yesterday:

GMaster7 on
  • Options
    I definitely could not stop laughing when that happened.

That said, the I have encountered three total bugs in 52 hours of play. The game is incredibly well constructed.

• Options
    I tired the Thunderjaw to the ground and it subsequently yanked the fucking boulder out of the ground and hit my with it (completely by chance but still!). This fucking game

• Options
    I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. I can't stop.

fpzlqnv0yemm.jpg

mrkhpgp0b3zc.jpg

2n1615dyrpqc.jpg

• Options
    Another weird/cool thing I noticed

I ran across some npcs ambushing a shellback - I think they even had a tripwire down??? I might have imagined that. But anyway they blew its shell off.

But I overrided it before it died and the dudes stopped attacking it. So it saunters back over to its shell and puts it back on! And it has to use its claw it hold it in place because it was blown off.

I loved it! It looked so awkward and awesome

• Options
    I have two main quests left, both of which reward a skill point. I am max level with every skill except for one. I will be literally one skill point short when I finish the game, meaning I missed a skill point somewhere. No idea where that's going to be since I've done all the Tallnecks. Hopefully it comes from the flowers, banuk figures, vantage points, or the hunting trials. I've done every side quest I've found, so maybe I'm missing one of those?

This is why I don't plat games, there's always one little fucking thing.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    How did that happen? I maxed out all the skills before even hitting max level or getting close to the end. Didn't even touch the hunting trials and I'm pretty sure the collectibles don't give any. That's real weird

• Options
    I have two main quests left, both of which reward a skill point. I am max level with every skill except for one. I will be literally one skill point short when I finish the game, meaning I missed a skill point somewhere. No idea where that's going to be since I've done all the Tallnecks. Hopefully it comes from the flowers, banuk figures, vantage points, or the hunting trials. I've done every side quest I've found, so maybe I'm missing one of those?

The hunting trials do give skill points, so that will sort you out.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

The hunting trials do give skill points, so that will sort you out.

Yep. Skill point for each hunting ground you get all blazing suns on, so five total available that way.

I think my biggest complaint against this game is how annoying it is to restock your healing in general. It gets expensive in shops.

I also maxed out the maxed resource satchel today. I had like ten stacks each chillwater and blaze, since my usual hunting strategy for anything is just smash it with the sharpshot bow and triple nock. I rarely bother with elements because most canisters are a pita to hit if I'm not ambushing them. Everything that's easy to nail just blows up to tear damage.

Hardpoint arrows on the shadow hunter bow are great though as a cheap alternative to the sharpshot bow for breaking things.

Also, finished the hunters lodge quest line and bought the last purple weapon from the shops. Just have to finish the trials and I should have all the weapons (I skipped the vast majority of blues, but meh).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Ok, vods this time!

I hate rockbreakers, so I'm happy to cheese them at every opportunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04EsFt4W_gE

And a quick one, the result of fun with proximity bombs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7cn1lx72P4

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Man, I'm real glad people are still getting into and playing this game. It's just so dang good.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Just platinum'ed this out last night. Going to keep playing though because I'm not far off the 100% completion and it's such a good game.

I really really loved this game, was actually kinda sad that it finished really. Would've happily played for another 10-20 hours of story, so I'm definitely looking forward to any DLC they offer.

The only things I have issue with are the slow gathering of healing herbs and the melee combat. Everything else is near perfect.
    klemming wrote: »
    The kill 2 Ravagers with the Thunderjaw trial is insanely difficult.
    Triple tear blast arrows to rip off a disc launcher, rope down the Thunderjaw, then it's just a matter of reaching the Ravagers (and I usually lured one into chasing me as I headed for the Thunderjaw, so that saved time.
    If you don't attack it, the Thunderjaw will stay tied down for more than long enough.

That's the only trial I came close to the time limit for, but it still only took me two attempts. (A useful general fallback is to just go after your objective with single-minded efficiency, and just spam health potions as needed)

I took that trial on my third attempt. My strategy was to go down the left side (because there's a nice ramp up to it for walking from the Thundermaw area), cause a fuss and then rope down both Ravagers so I knew where to find them. Tearblast arrow off the disc launchers. Grab one and move as quickly as possible and destroy one ravager. Run back down grab the other disc launcher and go kill the other one. It also stops the Ravagers from dodging the disc launcher because they were stupidly squirrelly for me. I was super close on my second attempt (maybe 10 seconds off) so I knew I had the right strategy, I just needed to get a little luckier with the disc launcher drop placements.

Though this method definitely wouldn't be possible without the fast moving with heavy weapons skill.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Before you even start the trial, knock the disc launchers off (you'll probably have to kill the Thunderjaw to safely retrieve them) and drop it at the bottom of whichever zipline you prefer, then climb up and start the trial.

All the enemies reset for the trial, and the launchers are ready and waiting without anything even being aggroed. Then it's just a matter of grabbing them up and obliterating the Ravagers, the time limit is no problem.

• Options
    Oh I got it done immediately after bitching about it, as is the law of gaming in the age of internet forums :lol:

I tired the Thunderjaw down, blew off the disc launcher and then the Ravagers found me. I still had 30 seconds on the clock.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I kept failing one of the stealth trials cause I am dumb and did not read what I needed to do. Someone here pointed it out to me. I felt silly but then got a good medal right away.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Rockbreaker corruption zone is going to be my toughest challenge. Taking out two of them will not be easy.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Rockbreaker corruption zone is going to be my toughest challenge. Taking out two of them will not be easy.

I waited to do that one til after I got the endgame special armor. STILL barely beat it!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

That I do have a solution for.

There's a large rock formation there that you can jump onto. Once you're up at the top it's easy enough to use the stealth crouch to hide on the other side of it from their ranged attack, and they'll never get you with melee because you're not on a surface they can tunnel to.

After that it's just about using tearblast arrows to remove their digging arms so they're above the ground permanently, then I personally went for the freeze via war bow for stupendous damage on the exhaust port with triple hardpoint arrows.

Edit: Explanatory pictures (because who can resist an opportunity to use Photo mode)
    This rock:
    e1KFvsx.jpg
    And you want to be here:
    FDcx5Km.jpg

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    I finished all the challenges today. I was surprised at how straightforward they were. Nothing tripped me up too bad. The worst challenge for me, funny enough, was looting shellwalker crates. It took my 3-4 failed stealth attempts before I said "fuck it" and blew them all up with tearblast arrows.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

That I do have a solution for.

There's a large rock formation there that you can jump onto. Once you're up at the top it's easy enough to use the stealth crouch to hide on the other side of it from their ranged attack, and they'll never get you with melee because you're not on a surface they can tunnel to.

After that it's just about using tearblast arrows to remove their digging arms so they're above the ground permanently, then I personally went for the freeze via war bow for stupendous damage on the exhaust port with triple hardpoint arrows.

Edit: Explanatory pictures (because who can resist an opportunity to use Photo mode)
    This rock:
    e1KFvsx.jpg
    And you want to be here:
    FDcx5Km.jpg

I just went to the other side of the river. They don't cross it. It becomes a matter of just waiting for them to pop up, dodging the ranged attack, and slowly chipping them down. Also, there's a patrol nearby that can aggro onto the Rockbreakers.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

There's some ravagers nearby; a couple of Ravager cannons can be a big help with that one. It definitely felt like the hardest of all the corruption zones, though.

This discussion has been closed.