Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[13th Age WM]Hunt for the Missing Hunters! Adventure Thread

Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
The group gathered themselves together and took the Guide's note from the bulletin board. They found the legendary wood elf in the Tannery, curing leathers and smoking deer meat. A few other hunters were talking with him. "They knew what was out there. Bojon saw them monsters with his own eyes. Why would he lie?" The Guide gave the hunter a stern look. "First, Bojon got one good eye and can't see beyond the tip of his nose because he drinks like a bluegill. Second, we look out for each other. Always have, always will. That's how we run this. We take care of our own." The Guide sees the group. "Which is why I asked the new Adventures' Guild for help." This gets a sour look from a few hunters but most seem pleased to see someone help them out. "If that is what you are here for..."

@discrider @Hellbore @tinwhiskers @QuantumTurk

«13456

Posts

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Guile

    As Guile enters the room, he nods a greeting at a few of the more familiar faces.

    A smile cracks across Guile's face.
    "Yes, that would be us! What trouble have you guys gotten into this time?"
    Geth roll 1d6 for Positive Captain
    Geth roll 1d6 for Positive Guide
    Geth roll 1d6 for Negative Exiles

    Positive Captain:
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]
    Positive Guide:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]
    Negative Exiles:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

  • HellboreHellbore There are no strings on me Registered User regular
    edited February 26
    Zariya

    Following a moment behind, Zariya sweeps into the room, scanning the faces before settling her eyes on The Guide. With a nod of greeting, she stands behind Guile, ready.
    Geth roll 2d6 for The Captain [that right?] (positive)
    Geth roll 1d6 for The Boss (negative)

    The Captain (positive):
    2d6 9 [2d6=6, 3]
    The Boss (negative):
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]

    Hellbore on
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Bud

    Bud turns and addresses the hunter who spoke first.

    "What menace did Bojon say he saw? A pack of howlers up from the south? A grey cat or two from the mountains?"
    Geth roll 1d6 for Positive Barkeep
    Geth roll 1d6 for Positive The Boss
    Geth roll 1d6 for Positive The Martyr

    Positive Barkeep:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]
    Positive The Boss:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]
    Positive The Martyr:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited February 26
    Mort *thanks for anyone who is bearing with my bumbling with forum formatting, I've never used it much*
    Addressing the hunters:
    I'm sure you all could handle it, but we'd rather free you up for feeding all the other fine folks!
    Turning to Guile with what he hopes is an ingratiating smile, so what's the plan, your righteousness?
    Geth roll 2d6 for The Barkeep (positive)
    Geth roll 1d6 for The Dryad (conflicted)


    The Barkeep (positive):
    2d6 4 [2d6=3, 1]
    The Dryad (conflicted):
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]

    QuantumTurk on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 26
    Mort *thanks for anyone who is bearing with my bumbling with forum formatting, I've never used it much*
    Addressing the hunters:
    I'm sure you all could handle it, but we'd rather free you up for feeding all the other fine folks!
    Turning to Guile with what he hopes is an ingratiating smile, so what's the plan, your righteousness?
    Geth roll 2d6 for The Barkeep (positive)
    Geth roll 1d6 for The Dryad (conflicted)


    "Well", Guile starts raising an eyebrow, "I figure we get pointed in the direction of their lost brethren, and then we go and drag them back!"

    Eyes saddened for a second, you also catch him mutter "Gods' willing, they'll be in better shape than you."

    discrider on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Sorry for the lateness, weekend kicked my ass. For Icon Tokens, we have Guile with a Negative 5 The Banished, Zariya with a Positive 6 The Captain, Bud with a Positive 5 The Martyr, and Mort has none. Sorry, Mort.

    The Guide looks at Guile, "It's pretty much what I stated in the note. We had a hunting party, 4 men, two of them had years of experience, the other two were green. They were suppose to go out for three days. It's been seven. Ain't none of my boys seen a hide or hair of them. Bojon's story of dire beasts in the woods is got me concerned, but the only person who has seen them is Bojon, so I'm not putting my full faith in it. The Banished like them woods, well, they like anywhere really, but my guess the hunters and the Banished got into some trouble. The boys where suppose to head to the west, which is all I can say to where they were going. They really didn't have any set place they were suppose to go. The Game has all but gone away now, and pushing out further than we are now is a risk. Which is why I hope you guys get to finding and starting outposts soon. Having save spots my boys can stay at would make these trips less dangerous than they are."

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Mort:

    Well then lets get to it, westward ho people! (Mort and muggs are raring to go, but will be amenable to things the living need before striking out if you remind him....also I'm assuming I just have my zombie dog all the time until it dies, and then I need time to raise him ALSO Grunt's, you are running at least two sessions, don't sweat it, hope things are good)

    I say we strike out towards the hammer and pick on the map, and see what signs we can see from there.

  • HellboreHellbore There are no strings on me Registered User regular
    "I don't like the idea of the Banished taking our hunters," Zaiya said, crossing her arms. "To think they have grown so bold..."

    She trails off, seemingly lost in thought.

  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Bud shoulders his pack.

    "We should probably get a move on, lots of rough land out west."

    Mort, The mines are to the east not west.
    Does anyone have anything skills/background that will make this less of a goose chase.

  • HellboreHellbore There are no strings on me Registered User regular
    I'll have to double check how background skills work, but maybe my Outlaw Hunter background could help?

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Bud shoulders his pack.

    "We should probably get a move on, lots of rough land out west."

    Mort, The mines are to the east not west.
    Does anyone have anything skills/background that will make this less of a goose chase.
    My tending the border background should cover everything woodsman including tracking, as it's abouting beating the bush back as well as anything in it.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    @tinwhiskers you'll need to decide whether your relationships are positive, conflicted or negative with your Icons and/or record this on your character sheet. As you might guess, positive means they view you as an ally, negative as an enemy and conflicted depends on who's looking usually :P so like a debt is owed, or as a trouble maker, or as a liability for example

    Guile

    "Well, if that's as much as we know, then I guess we're off.
    And if you don't hear back from us in like a week, we're probably dead too.
    Perhaps best not to send any more villagers out in that circumstance."


    Meeting the others down at the West gate, after checking with the other guards that indeed the hunters in question did set out this way a week ago, Guile gives one last look over the pack The Captain's Lieutenant had given him when he had left for the Adventurer's guild.

    Traveling gear, a lantern and oil, an extra ration on top, and some grappling hook some smart-arse had packed.
    Also some spare change, although what good gold will do outside the wall is another question entirely.

    Not to mention his standard attire.
    Two braces of hand-axes cross at his mid-riff, the rationale being it's hard to find a good whetstone when you're away from the wall.
    Some relatively good half-plate armour, a standard kite shield with the city emblem splayed across the front, and a sheathed longsword complete the picture.

    "Everyone else ready?", asks Guile.



    After they finish preparations, Guile starts leading them into the underbrush.
    (So that's level + Wisdom + background for tracking?)

    Geth roll 1d20+7 for Tracking

    Tracking:
    1d20+7 23 [1d20=16]

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    So yeah, any background about live in the wild can be used for tracking, which is normally a Wis skill. So Outlaw Hunter and Tending the Border both are good skills for this. I'll let everyone have a post if they need to buy final gear then we'll deal with Guile's roll.[/color]

  • HellboreHellbore There are no strings on me Registered User regular
    edited February 28
    Zariya

    After grabbing a few extra days of road rations (3 days worth [1.5gp]), Zariya meets with the others at the west gate, shouldering her pack and shield over her plate armor, the darkened metal barely gleaming in the sunlight. She fiddles with her helm in one hand, an awkward piece designed to fit around her prominent horns.

    She nods to Guile, adding, "We should still have plenty of light left. We should try to catch up while we can." With that she dons her helm, and follows Guile into the woods.

    Hellbore on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 28
    Hellbore wrote: »
    Pffffffft
    What is this "being good at throwing axes" thing?
    Everyone knows you need a throwing axe brace full of axes for when you inevitably miss the first 5 shots!
    Also for chopping trees.

    I'm rather amazed how close I've accidentally built my commander to the other paladins...
    Possibly due to the high lethality that was forewarned.

    Oh well.
    I'll have to differentiate myself by musing about the wall a lot :rotate:

    discrider on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Alright, moving on.

    Leaving Havenhold out the west gate, the group travels past the farm houses that are struggling to feed everyone. It's late in the morning and many of the farmers are out in their fields, trying to get their crops to grow after the late start to the growing season. Many give the group friendly waves, nods of their head, or even hellos as they pass. For some, these adventurers might be the last hope for civilization...

    As the day creeps into the afternoon, the group reach the thick forest. Just known as the Western Woods by the hunters, the evergreen trees here are tall and block out most of the sunlight, giving the area a dark, green shade for the little bits of light that does pass through. Guile spots a tree with a bow and arrow craved into it, a sign by the hunters of one of the paths they use as they travel through the woods. The rain from the night before had dampen the ground, which was good for hunters as it soften their steps on the wet, spongy forest floor below.

    The group followed the bow and arrow trail, figuring out that the direction of the arrow was the direction the hunters would take. Some time in the afternoon, they found a small hut. The wooden hut was meager in size, just large enough to house a person and some of their goods. There was a tanning stand with a boar skin stretched across it. There were a few hunters around a campfire, cleaning their kills and laughing about some joke that one of the dwarven hunters was telling. "Then he wakes up and says 'Why I got this slime on me?' Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha."

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Guile attempts to place their faces among the hunters he saw cross the wall each day.

    Geth roll 1d20+8 for Does Guile recognise them?

    Does Guile recognise them?:
    1d20+8 24 [1d20=16]

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Guile knows this group well. There is Norgen of the Woodore Clan, a blonde dwarf that telling no doubt a crude joke, and Malnir Springhollow, a wood elf that likes to use daggers to hunt, which would be laughable if it wasn't for the fact that he could hit anything just as well, if not better, than most hunters with a bow. And there was Lady Haswell, one of the "noble" women, who spent more time in the woods hunting than she did in town. Her brother was The Boss's right hand man, so it wasn't a wonder why she wouldn't want to be in town. And the last of this group was a fresh face, Cobblie, a boy barely 13, who was orphaned after a troll attack on his family farm. He was technically a ward of Lady Haswell but he was always seen with Norgen than anyone else. It was Malnir that spotted Guile and the rest of the group.

    "My eyes must be going dull. I thought surely we were farther from town than to have the wall guards show up out here. Must be something in my drink!" the wood elf laughed as he stood up to meet with the group.

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Mort strides forth in front, "What ho my good fellows!" if we could share some of your fire and bend your ear a bit I might be able to repay the favor with a song. Perhaps you know "The Lusty Beard"? *waggling his eyebrows at the dwarf who told the joke as he plays the first bar on the lute.*
    We were hoping to know what foul beasts you've seen around, and if you've seen any sign of the lost party. We aim to bring them home."
    (I'm rolling based on wandering trouper:4, salesman:1, and cha:+3, GM mod if you disagree obv.)
    Geth roll 1d20+8 for Will they trade info for a song from Mort?

    Will they trade info for a song from Mort?:
    1d20+8 14 [1d20=6]

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    And plus one for level taking it to 15

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Norgen points at a large boar body laying near the hut. "That's the second dire boar we saw out here this week. Took us nearly an hour to bring it down. We've seen larger than normal wolf tracks as well. My best bet is that they are from a dire wolf. And then there is the dire turkey, if you want to believe old Bojon's stories. Although I hope that one is true. It would be a crazy catch to bring back to town."

    "As far as your hunters, we've only seen Jolie and her group, about a week ago. They were heading towards the Blackwire Camp southwest of here, about a day's travel. After that, they should have done some hunting and headed back. Any more south they would ruin into the hills, any more west they would run into the Exiled at their damn keep."

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "Have you lads had much trouble with the Exiled?
    Most we get at the wall are a few ill-advised raiding parties attacking when and where they think we're weakest."
    Guile cracks a smile.
    "Turns out they're not so great at climbing after they've lost a few limbs!"

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Some of the hunters laugh at that comment. Lady Haswell doesn't. "The Exiled are problematic. Ever sense The Banished got the tribes together under his banner, they've become more of a threat than most people realize. We've seen them training for combat in their camps. I believe they are planning a major assault on Havenhold, or maybe they plan on cutting down the adventurers, no doubt news of the Guide has reached their ears. I fear you might find them to be more than a match once there is no wall to give you advantage."

  • HellboreHellbore There are no strings on me Registered User regular
    "Is the Captain aware of these camps? Their location? Numbers?" Zariya said, stepping forward intently.


  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    "No, the Exiled are smarter than that." Lady Haswell says. "They move their camps often, unless it's a strong, defensible place. Way up north there is some ruin keep I've heard has a large group that's been there for awhile."

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited March 1
    Mort: "and you have not sent word back to havenhold, or you have and the captain doubts you?"
    (Saying +2 from icon barkeep.)
    Geth Roll 1d20+2 for has Mort heard any rumors of the exiled or banished at the bar?

    has Mort heard any rumors of the exiled or banished at the bar?:
    1d20+2 13 [1d20=11]

    QuantumTurk on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    You don't get bonus from your Icon Relationship. If you rolled a 5 or 6 on your relationship rolls in the beginning of the adventure, you would have a token you can use, but you weren't that lucky. If you can figure out a way one of your background to work, you could find out something.

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I might argue for the wandering trouper +4 picking up rumors in taverns for both safety and songs makes sense, but I can accept a flat roll if you disagree, and anyway I don't want to slow things down too much, it's not a big hitch if Mort just does not know

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    You would also still get your relevant attribute (Cha) plus your level I think... (so +4)

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Yeah, that works.

    Mort has heard just normal things, Exiled camps being spotted every now and then, raids on the wall, but for the last few days, Mort's conversations with the Barkeep hasn't had anything to do with Exiles, instead focusing on his personal requests.

    I would have normally given you more, but because of the things we talked about in PMs, it doesn't make much sense for Mort to be paying attention to that when his attention has been on other subjects...

    QuantumTurk
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Bud approaches Cobblie, and offering him a couple pieces of candy.

    Idk if Bud might has met him before because of his relationship with The Martyr and him being an orphan, but I'm going to try and see if the kid has anything to mention that the more experienced hunters might be dismissing.

    "Hey little man hows it going? Seen anything cool out here?"

    Geth Roll 1d20+3 for ask the teenager about his time in the woods.

    ask the teenager about his time in the woods:
    1d20+3 19 [1d20=16]

    QuantumTurk
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Cobblie looks up at the cowboy and takes the candy from Bud. "We saw that big boar. It was huge, like the size of a horse. And it was really mean, tried to attack me before we even hit it. It had these massive tusks and bone spikes coming out of it's body. It was really cool."

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    So I think we are heading towards the blackwire camp where they were last heading, unless one of you had more to do here? I can't really say Mort can track, or would even know the way, but figure the hunters gave us a heading, and you three seem competent. And I don't think Mort likes the sound of a whole banished/exile camp at all.

    Mort: "Well, we sure are glad you took him out, surely there can't be too many of those about." *Muggs gives some sniffs around the dire boar hide, but seems put off by whatever he smells there.*

  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    If I'm understanding the timeline right it's getting dark out.

    Bud: "How much light we got left out in this woods? If we got a good chunk of day still we should carry on, but I aint partial to running into a direwolf in the dark. Perhaps we're better off settling in here with these fellers, and continuing on our separate ways at dawn"

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    It's evening and the camp is a day's travel, still a few hours of day light, but not enough to make it to the Blackwire Camp before dark.

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Mort:" If they'll have us, and you all want to get out your bedrolls, Muggs and I can take...well...all the watches? If there is a good vantage point? We don't seem to sleep anymore anyway."

  • HellboreHellbore There are no strings on me Registered User regular
    "Agreed. Better to set out with a full day's light than be stumbling around in the dark."

    She removes her helm and looks to the hunters. "If you'll have us."

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    "The camp belongs to everyone." Lady Haswell says. "You'll have to sleep outside with us. the hut is filled with hunting supplies and stuff being one of our main sites. But with the fires kept going all night, we shouldn't be bothered by the animals.

    So night one draws close for you guys. Decide how you want to do wait. Any of the hunters can do watches too.

  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    One night and no deaths, I'd call this a rousing success. And surely nothing will happen in the night.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Guile figures, so long as the group is camping the night, he may as well hunt a bit in the remaining daylight hours.

    "Am I right to go out and search for some small game?
    I'm a little uncertain as to whether I could take down a brute such as this one by myself if I came across it."

«13456
Sign In or Register to comment.