As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Battle Over Voting Rights (also Gerrymandering)

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Usually the example given is Daley putting dead people on the ballot for JFK. But even that was 50 years ago.

Kris Kobach tried as hard as he could to find evidence of the massive voter fraud he was convinced was going on. All he got were a lot of false positives and a lot of wasted taxpayer money.

And a contempt of court charge.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    In instances of technical voter fraud we have a black woman in texas who voted in the 2016 via provisional ballot at her church not realizing that an earlier felony conviction barred her for doing so, and a white woman in Iowa that knowingly voted for Trump twice.

Black woman gets 5 years in prison.
    White woman gets 2 years probation.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Getting caught commiting a right wing Boogeyman crime in a red state is some rough luck.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Getting caught commiting a right wing Boogeyman crime in a red state is some rough luck if black.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Getting caught commiting a right wing Boogeyman crime in a red state is some rough luck if black.

I think that's kind of baked into the Boogeyman.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I went and read a lot of articles about fraud in the 40s and the overwhelming examples of corruption with a lot of evidence were....

1) bribing voters -> Lots
    2) corrupt officials sabotaging machines -> Lots
    3) corrupt officials miscounting ballots -> Lots
    4) corrupt party officials controlling the votes of large union groups and witholding those votes until the candidates bribed them -> Some
    5) People voting in the wrong precinct -> Rare
    6) Ineligable votes -> Anecdotal

I did look, but I can't find any real details about people voting in 10 places, or dead people voting. I can find anecdotes about that happening, but no real contemporary accounts and articles saying "We uncovered 10000 votes cast by 500 people who voted 20 times!"

The other 'centralized/bribery' ones are full of good examples and research. They did happen a lot. But, they were stopped with other laws, not with careful lists of ballots.

And, honestly problems 5 and 6 even at the anecdotal level predate voting ink. Dip the thumb nail in the silver nitrate ink and the issue vanishes. Voting in the wrong precinct MIGHT still exist, but honestly, if there is a massive incentive for people to do that then your districting is broken and you should fix that instead.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I went and read a lot of articles about fraud in the 40s and the overwhelming examples of corruption with a lot of evidence were....

4) corrupt party officials controlling the votes of large union groups and witholding those votes until the candidates bribed them -> Some

I did look, but I can't find any real details about people voting in 10 places, or dead people voting. I can find anecdotes about that happening, but no real contemporary accounts and articles saying "We uncovered 10000 votes cast by 500 people who voted 20 times!"

The other 'centralized/bribery' ones are full of good examples and research. They did happen a lot. But, they were stopped with other laws, not with careful lists of ballots.

And, honestly problems 5 and 6 even at the anecdotal level predate voting ink. Dip the thumb nail in the silver nitrate ink and the issue vanishes. Voting in the wrong precinct MIGHT still exist, but honestly, if there is a massive incentive for people to do that then your districting is broken and you should fix that instead.

I'm fairly certain a lady voted with her dead husbands mail in ballot for Trump.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

I'm fairly certain a lady voted with her dead husbands mail in ballot for Trump.

Yeah, but my point here is that even if we go back to the 40s (when there was a lot of voter fraud) I can't find good examples of mass fraud which would have been stopped by good, accurate lists of voters. Its overwhelmingly corrupt election officials and bribery.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Yeah, but my point here is that even if we go back to the 40s (when there was a lot of voter fraud) I can't find good examples of mass fraud which would have been stopped by good, accurate lists of voters. Its overwhelmingly corrupt election officials and bribery.

This has basically been the case for all of human history. The biggest place for fraud is the person counting the ballots.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Or paying mercenaries to hold the ballot boxes hostage so that only the tribes that will support you can vote... Wait, sorry, that was a democracy, not a republic.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Or paying mercenaries to hold the ballot boxes hostage so that only the tribes that will support you can vote... Wait, sorry, that was a democracy, not a republic.

Okay, yeah. But basically, any fraud, to be effective, has to be more than the individual level.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    OMG. The federal judge sanctioned Kobach with 6 hours of continuing legal education that "pertain to federal or Kansas civil rules of procedure or evidence."

HuffPost reporter:

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I didn't think I'd ever see a Government Official sentenced to summer school, but there you go.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Absolutely appropriate.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    It's a petty victory but in light of current events I'll take the shameful judicial remand to 1L CivPro for an alleged practicing attorney

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That's good judging.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Aww, I just came here to post that.
    Ah well, as a Kansan, it pleases me to no end to see Kobach getting literally schooled.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I can see it now in the attack ads:

"Do you really want a governor who is so inept that he was order by a court of law to go back to school?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

"Do you really want a governor who is so inept that he was order by a court of law to go back to school?"

Kansas: yes actually!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »

Kansas: yes actually!

No see he went to school and learned. The anti intellectuals despise improving yourself

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    http://www.cjonline.com/news/20180620/kobachs-office-tells-counties-to-keep-enforcing-proof-of-citizenship-law
    The elections director for Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach told county clerks in a conference call Tuesday to continue enforcing a proof of citizenship law that a federal judge ruled unconstitutional.
    “I think ‘immediately’ is kind of open to interpretation,” she [Kobach's spokeswoman] said.

Getting charged with contempt of court to own the libs.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    http://www.cjonline.com/news/20180620/kobachs-office-tells-counties-to-keep-enforcing-proof-of-citizenship-law
    The elections director for Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach told county clerks in a conference call Tuesday to continue enforcing a proof of citizenship law that a federal judge ruled unconstitutional.
    “I think ‘immediately’ is kind of open to interpretation,” she [Kobach's spokeswoman] said.

Can I get a written notification as to when words will start meaning things once again?

Or is this one of those catch-22 situations?

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    "As soon as possible" is open to interpretation. "Before the next election" is open t interpretation. "Immediately" is pretty damned clear cut. There is "aleady done" then "immediately" and then "literally any other point in all eternity."

Oh, you want to play games with the judge who just sentenced you to remedial summer school? Let me know how that works out for you.

Hevach on
  • Options

Can I get a written notification as to when words will start meaning things once again?

He's playing the Jackson card of "now let them enforce it"

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Can the judge send him to a 3rd grade english class to learn the definition of immediately too?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I'm guessing Kobach's definition of "immediately" is Oct. 16 at 11:59pm.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

He's not the president. He can be tossed in a holding cell for contempt of the court order. So can his underlings.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

He's not the president. He can be tossed in a holding cell for contempt of the court order. So can his underlings.

And this judge ordered him to take classes because his knowledge of the law was so poor. I don't think she will have any issue throwing his ass in jail.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I welcome it, to be honest. The government in Kansas is out of step with the people of Kansas.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    I welcome it, to be honest. The government in Kansas is out of step with the people of Kansas.

Well, you'd fucking hope so at this point. We'll see in November.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

And this judge ordered him to take classes because his knowledge of the law was so poor. I don't think she will have any issue throwing his ass in jail.

Counterpoint: "Well I guess I'm just too stupid to understand what the court is asking us to do!"

• Options

Wow. Judges do not like being told "fuck your decision".

• Options

He's gonna find out exactly what immediately means

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

He's gonna find out exactly what immediately means

In that the judge is going to order his ass thrown into jail for contempt - immediately?

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Later: "Ok, ok, I've complied with your decision. Can I get out of jail now?"
    Judge: "That's open to interpretaion."

• Options
    @So It Goes @ElJeffe

Flagging the mods, because I'm not 100% on gerrymandering measures going in this thread, but Michigan's effort to eliminate it is officially on the ballot as of today. I also posted it in the Michigan thread. Details on this system are here:

https://www.votersnotpoliticians.com/

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    @So It Goes @ElJeffe

Flagging the mods, because I'm not 100% on gerrymandering measures going in this thread, but Michigan's effort to eliminate it is officially on the ballot as of today. I also posted it in the Michigan thread. Details on this system are here:

https://www.votersnotpoliticians.com/
    The Commission would consist of 13 registered Michigan voters who are randomly selected from people who apply. The Commission is designed so that all Michigan voters are represented, as fully as possible, in the process of drawing our districts. The final breakdown of the 13 members will consist of: four Republicans*, four Democrats*, and five independent members who affiliate with no party or a third-party.

This seems flawed.

I'm a "Republican."

The lady who wouldn't sign gay marriage certs was a "Democrat."

All manner of extreme left and right are technically "neither"

Party registration seems like a bad metric on which to judge partisan bias. Especially with the independent / third party group. You're better off letting the state parties put up their own candidates, then using a coin toss tie breaker.

(Which you're essentially doing with the randomly selection of five (I) members.)

• Options
    Yeah, I'm not super happy with this system. However, it literally could not be worse than the one we have now, where the legislature is rigged for permanent Republican majorities.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I mean, that's effectively what CA does:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Citizens_Redistricting_Commission

The 14-member commission consists of five Democrats, five Republicans, and four commissioners from neither major party.

I really like our maps that have come out of this.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I mean, that's effectively what CA does:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Citizens_Redistricting_Commission

The 14-member commission consists of five Democrats, five Republicans, and four commissioners from neither major party.

I really like our maps that have come out of this.

I know I feel represented. Every time Ted Lieu tweets I want to make that airhorn *BWAH baw bew bew BEEW*

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.