As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Battle Over Voting Rights (also Gerrymandering)

• Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    JoeUser wrote: »

Ari forgot to add CT to that list, but it's OK, everybody forgets about CT, including people who live/have lived in the state (hi!).

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    NC one of the most important ones on that list.

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    Echoing SIG, emailed the WA SOS as well.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    It's nice to see people know what's really up with this Election Integrity Council, and are trying to preserve democracy in America, to the extent that's still possible.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    John Husted in Ohio's said they won't give anything that isn't already publicly available.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    A step too far even for that asshole. Wow.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Here's the email I sent to the Washington Secretary of State. (kim.wyman@sos.wa.gov)

Secretary Wyman,

As you are aware, the Trump administration has taken the unprecedented step of demanding sensitive voter information from the states in order to intimidate and suppress voters as well as to try and find support for his dubious claims of massive widespread voter fraud.

Further, it has come to my attention that the administration requested such information be transmitted to them over an insecure email connection, leaving it vulnerable to hackers from Russia and elsewhere.

First, I urge you to reject the administration's request, and protect the personal information and voting rights of Washington's voters.

Second, if you decide you must send certain information to the administration, I urge you to do so in a way that ensures the security of the information.

Respectfully,
    Daniel [my last name]
    Voter, [my County]

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    One thing I'd suggest to people is making note not just of the security angle in that sense, but the fact that the White House intends to make whatever database they're compiling public, with the implication that your cranky neighbor who has some arbitrary problem with you will be able to look you up and get on your case - or worse - because of your party registration.

There's no way that list goes public without massive voter intimidation campaigns, and not just from governments. It's not just likely to be abused, it's almost certainly designed to be.

• Options
    Kobach now says that Kansas can't give over the SSNs. What a fucking moron.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Worried to not see the Republican secretary of state from WA on that list already...

Wyman is a Republican. Are you really that surprised?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Wisconsin will comply with some of Trump commission's demands for state voter data
    Wisconsin elections officials said Friday that they'll sell some voter information to a presidential commission investigating election fraud, but some data is off-limits.

President Donald Trump's Advisory Commission on Election Integrity sent a letter to all the states and the District of Columbia on Wednesday giving them two weeks to provide about a dozen points of voter data, including birthdates, the last four digits of Social Security numbers and any information about felony convictions. Some Democratic election officials have refused to comply.

The Wisconsin Elections Commission oversees state elections. The six-member commission is split evenly between Republican and Democratic appointees chosen by Republican Gov. Scott Walker and each party's legislative leaders.

Administrator Mike Haas issued a statement Friday saying most of the information in the state's voter registration system is public, including voters' names, addresses and voting history. The state doesn't collect any data about a voter's political preferences or gender, he said.

The data is available for purchase and the commission must release it to buyers, Haas said, adding that the commission routinely sells the information to political parties, candidates and researchers. The commission would charge the presidential panel $12,500 for the data, the maximum amount allowed under agency rules, he said. State law doesn't contain any provisions for waiving the fee.

Haas said Wisconsin law allows the commission to share voter birthdates, driver's license numbers and Social Security numbers only with police and other state agencies, and the presidential commission doesn't appear to qualify

I guess it's good to know the Russians won't be getting any of my information they don't already have.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Wisconsin will comply with some of Trump commission's demands for state voter data
    Wisconsin elections officials said Friday that they'll sell some voter information to a presidential commission investigating election fraud, but some data is off-limits.

President Donald Trump's Advisory Commission on Election Integrity sent a letter to all the states and the District of Columbia on Wednesday giving them two weeks to provide about a dozen points of voter data, including birthdates, the last four digits of Social Security numbers and any information about felony convictions. Some Democratic election officials have refused to comply.

The Wisconsin Elections Commission oversees state elections. The six-member commission is split evenly between Republican and Democratic appointees chosen by Republican Gov. Scott Walker and each party's legislative leaders.

Administrator Mike Haas issued a statement Friday saying most of the information in the state's voter registration system is public, including voters' names, addresses and voting history. The state doesn't collect any data about a voter's political preferences or gender, he said.

The data is available for purchase and the commission must release it to buyers, Haas said, adding that the commission routinely sells the information to political parties, candidates and researchers. The commission would charge the presidential panel $12,500 for the data, the maximum amount allowed under agency rules, he said. State law doesn't contain any provisions for waiving the fee.

Haas said Wisconsin law allows the commission to share voter birthdates, driver's license numbers and Social Security numbers only with police and other state agencies, and the presidential commission doesn't appear to qualify

I guess it's good to know the Russians won't be getting any of my information they don't already have.

At least they're making money off it?

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Sort of? IF I read that correctly?

As in, they'll sell the data that's already available that they sell to other people.

I imagine the Russians have the whole thing already, though.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    God dammit Wyman. It seems obvious she's just waiting to see what other states do.

• Options
    Mississippi tells them to fuck off. Technically "jump into the Gulf of Mexico."

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Illinois says it hasn't received a request for voter data yet.

SoS doesn't handle those requests here though.

So, I'm guessing they sent it to the wrong place.

:rotate:

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Wyman seems to be taking the track of willingly handing over public data, instead of making them dig it up themselves.

I tried to call and tell her she should tell Kobach to fuck all the way off, but unsurprisingly there was no answer and their VM box was full.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    They probably have to give public data, but that seems to be the norm among SoS' reactions.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    They probably have to give public data, but that seems to be the norm among SoS' reactions.

in theory they could push back and at least make the fed jump through whatever hoops, even if state law obligates supplying the data

like, "oh no, this form letter you sent to every state isn't a valid request. Please fill out form 234H23-B and submit the blue carbon copy to our office in person and we'll review your request and get your data in 16-20 weeks"

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    The thing that seems strangest is that voting g record IS public in a lot of places, which already seems crazy.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Probably not. They could force the Feds to go through the same procedures a private person would have to... Which could mean an individual lookup via online form...

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    @knitdan mind if I steal that (with some modification)?

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Feel free, that's why I posted it

:)

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    The thing that seems strangest is that voting g record IS public in a lot of places, which already seems crazy.

It's not about just getting the general registration record, it's about the White House putting them all in one place along with additional bells and whistles making it trivial to identify and locate particular voters. It's a lot harder for people outside of the government to put together Lists when they have to wade through fifty state bureaucracies.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

It's not about just getting the general registration record, it's about the White House putting them all in one place along with additional bells and whistles making it trivial to identify and locate particular voters. It's a lot harder for people outside of the government to put together Lists when they have to wade through fifty state bureaucracies.

For the most part it is all so readily accessible, that there is virtually no way the RNC doesn't already routinely collect it and have it on hand.

I'm just confused why the White House is doing this, why they're making it a (functionally) public demand, when they could have just gotten it without any fuss, demands, or media hoopla.

It's one of those things where I'm genuinely confused as to whether it is straight up incompetence or more nefarious, if they have some ulterior motive in making it all a public spectacle. And then wracking my brain thinking of the scenarios that would allow the White House to say "see? if the states had given us that information, we could have prevented <thing>!" in order to force more draconian information collecting and tracking.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    The RNC's one thing; I'm more worried about, say, the nastier corners of Reddit or the chans finding convenient clearinghouses for that.

The demands do include stuff other than just the basic registration information though. One thing Kobach is requesting is lists of voters who hold dual citizenships, which isn't even remotely relevant to their franchise but is a red flag to, ah, certain people.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The problem is not the collection of public information. The lroblem is that they wanted a bunch of stuff that is absolutely not public

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I'm sure Christie will roll over and play dead

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Yeah I'm sure we won't see half a million voters names Juan Rodriguez get dropped from the rolls for being duplicates

• Options
    edited June 2017
    The RNC's one thing; I'm more worried about, say, the nastier corners of Reddit or the chans finding convenient clearinghouses for that.

The demands do include stuff other than just the basic registration information though. One thing Kobach is requesting is lists of voters who hold dual citizenships, which isn't even remotely relevant to their franchise but is a red flag to, ah, certain people.

lol why would he think state SoS's would even have that info

Aioua on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Won't turn it over = evidence of dem obstruction to keep voter fraud going?

I mean the whole commission is an act to give credence to these baseless claims.

• Options
    That too, yeah. The commission's absolutely starting with the conclusions Trump's requested, since he can't let go of losing the popular vote.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

I mean the whole commission is an act to give credence to these baseless claims.

fucking kentucky refused to hand this information over.

There's like four democrats in the entire state.

• Options
    Trace wrote: »

fucking kentucky refused to hand this information over.

There's like four democrats in the entire state.

At the presidential level. The Secretary of State who refused the request is a Democrat. They had a Democratic governor like three years ago.

• Options

Nation writer and voting rights expert. 24 states have refused.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular

Yeah I'm sure we won't see half a million voters names Juan Rodriguez get dropped from the rolls for being duplicates
    They can't; the feds don't have control over the voter rolls in the states. Maybe that's the long term play, find a fig leaf for instituting federal voter suppression measures.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Nice mix across the political spectrum there.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    So many states telling Kobach to get stuffed is giving me some rarely found hope.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

Not seeing Florida on that list. Typical.

This discussion has been closed.