As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Battle Over Voting Rights (also Gerrymandering)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It's the Friday before the 4th weekend. I'm actually surprised at the amount of people at the office.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Nation writer and voting rights expert. 24 states have refused.

That's a rather misleading tweet. I already posted that WI will provide all info that it would provide to anyone else asking a similar request. Sure, that's not everything asked for, but everything they asked for would be insane to provide, let alone collect.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    The thing that seems strangest is that voting g record IS public in a lot of places, which already seems crazy.

It's not about just getting the general registration record, it's about the White House putting them all in one place along with additional bells and whistles making it trivial to identify and locate particular voters. It's a lot harder for people outside of the government to put together Lists when they have to wade through fifty state bureaucracies.

Yeah I'm sure we won't see half a million voters names Juan Rodriguez get dropped from the rolls for being duplicates
    They can't; the feds don't have control over the voter rolls in the states. Maybe that's the long term play, find a fig leaf for instituting federal voter suppression measures.

No they'll just gather the data for the states that want to suppress the vote

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Nation writer and voting rights expert. 24 states have refused.

And one is just an evil moron;
    Multiple states plan to buck Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach’s request for personal information on voters on behalf of a presidential commission.

Kobach said Friday that Kansas, at least for now, also won’t be sharing Social Security information with the commission, on which he serves as vice chairman. The state will share other information about the state’s registered voters, including names and addresses, which are subject to the state’s open records laws.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Kevin Drum lays out what he sees as the conservative gameplan here.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/06/kris-kobach-is-playing-a-familiar-game/
    Kobach doesn’t have the resources or the remit to pursue any fraud cases. What he wants to do is come up with a number for people registered twice. Or dead people who are registered. Or people registered at two different addresses. He will then claim that all of them are examples of fraud and announce that 23.7 percent of all registration is fraudulent. We’ve already seen this movie, and the sequel is bound to be the same.

In reality, none of this matters, and Kobach knows it. Double registrations invariably turn out to be different people who happen to have the same name and birthdate. Dead people invariably turn out to be…dead people. It just takes a while for them to be removed from the rolls. And people registered at two different addresses are just people who have moved. Their old registration will get purged eventually, but it doesn’t happen instantly. We go through this game in California every time a Republican loses a close election, and in every case the amount of actual registration fraud is zero.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    Kevin Drum lays out what he sees as the conservative gameplan here.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/06/kris-kobach-is-playing-a-familiar-game/
    Kobach doesn’t have the resources or the remit to pursue any fraud cases. What he wants to do is come up with a number for people registered twice. Or dead people who are registered. Or people registered at two different addresses. He will then claim that all of them are examples of fraud and announce that 23.7 percent of all registration is fraudulent. We’ve already seen this movie, and the sequel is bound to be the same.

In reality, none of this matters, and Kobach knows it. Double registrations invariably turn out to be different people who happen to have the same name and birthdate. Dead people invariably turn out to be…dead people. It just takes a while for them to be removed from the rolls. And people registered at two different addresses are just people who have moved. Their old registration will get purged eventually, but it doesn’t happen instantly. We go through this game in California every time a Republican loses a close election, and in every case the amount of actual registration fraud is zero.

That's pretty much what he did in Kansas for the past 6 or so years. Lead to a single digit number of prosecutions, half of which were thrown out of court and only one of which ended up with any sort of fine.

So, it's all for show.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    And, reinforcing the argument that voter fraud is a real thing.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Next up; Bannon says the commission isn't getting the data from Mordor.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Who would a thought their White nationalists with terrorist leanings base valued privacy above all else?

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I am pretty sure creating a national database of state information like that is something conservatives would be apoplectic about under a Democratic president.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

I am pretty sure creating a national database of state information like that is something conservatives would be apoplectic about under a Democratic president.

Well that happened quickly and of course unsurprisingly.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Very distinguished, best disenfranchisers in the business.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Happy to report I was wrong and the Oregon SOS will not be complying with the request.

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/06/dennis_richardson_denies_trump.html

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Has any state said they will definitely comply?

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

I think Kobach is still SoS of Kansas, so they're partially complying. He won't include the last 4 digits of the SSN's.

Yep, you're reading that correct: Kobach won't (fully) comply with his own demands. :rotate: I think that's just a lovely summary of the Republican party right now.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Have any of them flipped if they did?

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I've seen a lot of the states say they will partially comply, but only with information in the public record. Which the Commission could have gotten anyway.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I've seen a lot of the states say they will partially comply, but only with information in the public record. Which the Commission could have gotten anyway.

You know, if they knew how to use the internet, or do basic research.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

It's not about that. It's about Sending A Message™.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

I would phrase it as Establishing a Narrative™ but yeah. The request is step one is manufacturing backing for tougher voter ID laws and having something to point to when they have to defend such laws against judicial review.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular

That still means they aren't complying.

• Options

I would phrase it as Establishing a Narrative™ but yeah. The request is step one is manufacturing backing for tougher voter ID laws and having something to point to when they have to defend such laws against judicial review.

Yeah, that's not what they actually want. Nor is this (thanks, SIG, for the good news and the link):
    In his letter, Richardson told Kobach "We believe the best way to prevent voter intimidation or disenfranchisement is to follow the Oregon model of trying to get every eligible voter on the registration rolls through automatic voter registration and outreach efforts, and then, sending every registered voter a ballot."

"Every eligible voter" voting is the death knell of the Party, and they know it.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Yeah, that's not what they actually want. Nor is this (thanks, SIG, for the good news and the link):
    In his letter, Richardson told Kobach "We believe the best way to prevent voter intimidation or disenfranchisement is to follow the Oregon model of trying to get every eligible voter on the registration rolls through automatic voter registration and outreach efforts, and then, sending every registered voter a ballot."

"Every eligible voter" voting is the death knell of the Party, and they know it.

It doesn't have to be.

All they have to do is move left.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

You have misconstrued the intended subject in the last two posts. I was (and strongly suspect that ArcTangent was) referring to the Commision and not the SoS's.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    My intent was to agree with and further extend their point regarding the actual aim of the Commission, not the SoS's, who are naturally opposed to it.

Cantido: Won't happen, at least not with this party. They're just gonna keep sliding right until they finally do find the edge of the world, and fall over it. Maybe someday we'll get another reasonable conservative party again (probably when the Democrats fracture, as a result of having taken on all the disillusioned but actually sane people under their increasingly crowded big tent.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    They are so right that they are starting to consider literal historical Nazis left wing. Can't get much more right without implementing Ayn Rand's ideas.

As for all the sane people becoming Democrats, it doesn't entirely seem to work that way. Some do, but others change themselves if they are too left for the Party.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Mayabird was warned for this.
    A few on the bleeding edge are further right than Ayn Rand, as she still believed governments had a role in maintaining weights and measures standards, that sort of thing, which some idiots want to abolish as government overreach and misuse of taxes. You know, because any use of taxes that isn't killing people in other countries or oppressing people in this country is a waste of taxpayer money.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    BlackDragon480 was warned for this.
    Mayabird wrote: »
    A few on the bleeding edge are further right than Ayn Rand, as she still believed governments had a role in maintaining weights and measures standards, that sort of thing, which some idiots want to abolish as government overreach and misuse of taxes. You know, because any use of taxes that isn't killing people in other countries or oppressing people in this country is a waste of taxpayer money.

Let's make a kickstarter/gofundme for these guys, so we can transplant them all to Southern Iraq and let them prove their Galt like superiority by going back to civilization's roots and see if they can manage to raise Ziggurats to their anarcho-libertarian gods using the mud and reeds of the Tigris and Euphrates.

No modern equipment, no modernly cultivated food stuffs, no post-bonze age technology. They can rejoin the rest of reality if they manage to survive till their own industrial revolution.

So It Goes on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular

They were, indeed.
    [Federal overreach is] what Missouri Republicans called it four years ago when the administration of Gov. Jay Nixon (a Democrat) sent driver’s license records to a federal agent in the Social Security Administration who was investigating fraud. Some of the information, all allowed under state law, included concealed-carry permits, because it was at the time connected to the driver’s license data.

Republicans went ballistic.

“Missourians are very much opposed to this type of government overreach and intrusion,” said then-Speaker of the House Tim Jones, R-Eureka.

Republicans held news conferences and called for hearings in which they blasted Nixon for daring to turn over Missourians’ private information to the federal government. Surely, Obama would come for their guns, they surmised. The Missouri Legislature changed the law, separating concealed-carry information from driver’s license records.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Republicans are at least achieving the goal of making people hate the federal government

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    Republicans are at least achieving the goal of making people hate the federal government

Yes, they've been doing that for quite some time now.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »

Yes, they've been doing that for quite some time now.

This goes back to the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017

This is about being able to say X% of registered people are duplicates and/or dead so they are fraudulently registered and therefore voter fraud fraud is real. From there Trump will continue saying he won the popular vote and use this as his proof to distract us, while Kobach tries to quietly change all voting laws using this as the proof of their need to be "updated" regardless of what reality says.

It could also be a Russian plot to collect as much information on just about everyone in the US as possible. But that would be Looney tunes conspiracy land, right?

Right? :cry:

Veevee on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Asking for the information is getting some extreme paranoids to deregister. :(

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

All according to keikaku*.

*keikaku means destroying America

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular

Just how large a portion of them is likely GOP voters?

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »

Just how large a portion of them is likely GOP voters?

I was about to ask if that benefits either major party, since I would not be surprised if these were the guys that wrote in people that never when or back parties more bug fucking crazy than the modern republican party.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    This thread is about voting rights, not the Right generally. Stay on topic.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    madparrot wrote: »

They were, indeed.
    [Federal overreach is] what Missouri Republicans called it four years ago when the administration of Gov. Jay Nixon (a Democrat) sent driver’s license records to a federal agent in the Social Security Administration who was investigating fraud. Some of the information, all allowed under state law, included concealed-carry permits, because it was at the time connected to the driver’s license data.

Republicans went ballistic.

“Missourians are very much opposed to this type of government overreach and intrusion,” said then-Speaker of the House Tim Jones, R-Eureka.

Republicans held news conferences and called for hearings in which they blasted Nixon for daring to turn over Missourians’ private information to the federal government. Surely, Obama would come for their guns, they surmised. The Missouri Legislature changed the law, separating concealed-carry information from driver’s license records.

Completely missed this post yesterday.

God, I hate my state sometimes. I'd hoped that they'd give Kobach and his "investigative panel" the middle finger just as a "screw you" to Kansas. Apparently party truly comes before everything, even 160 years of unbridled hatred and loathing that in earlier eras of mankind would've been the stuff foundational myths are based on.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.