As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Frankly, My Dear, I Don't Give a Dime [Federal Budget]

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Kipling wrote: »
    Trump got what he wanted. The Trump admin wanted Harvey aid linked with the debt ceiling, so it would clear Congress. To Trump, the Democrats agreed if he included the continuing resolution, and he could prove he was right.

Trump took the transaction that gave him what he wanted and punished the group not listening to him. The feedback from positive press as a result of this is going to make him even more adversarial to the GOP when they don't listen to him. Trump now has an option to go to the Democrats and force the GOP into an impossible position. Either they start the GOP civil war, or they bend the knee. Right now, the GOP base appears to be with Trump, not Congress.

Except McConnell and Ryan still control the calendar. The debt ceiling is a ticking time bomb, but not everything is. And I don't put much faith in Trump being consistent for anything. Even out of spite. Mercury is less mercurial.

I agree with you on this, but I also think even a couple weeks of Trump being characterized as working with Democrats could do lasting damage with his biggest supporters. I'm real curious to see what happens over the next week or so.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Kipling wrote: »
    Trump got what he wanted. The Trump admin wanted Harvey aid linked with the debt ceiling, so it would clear Congress. To Trump, the Democrats agreed if he included the continuing resolution, and he could prove he was right.

Trump took the transaction that gave him what he wanted and punished the group not listening to him. The feedback from positive press as a result of this is going to make him even more adversarial to the GOP when they don't listen to him. Trump now has an option to go to the Democrats and force the GOP into an impossible position. Either they start the GOP civil war, or they bend the knee. Right now, the GOP base appears to be with Trump, not Congress.

Except McConnell and Ryan still control the calendar. The debt ceiling is a ticking time bomb, but not everything is. And I don't put much faith in Trump being consistent for anything. Even out of spite. Mercury is less mercurial.

I agree with you on this, but I also think even a couple weeks of Trump being characterized as working with Democrats could do lasting damage with his biggest supporters. I'm real curious to see what happens over the next week or so.

Nah. Been reading his biggest supporters. They still hate the GOPe as much as everybody else (and are setting their efforts on the GOP primaries). The healthcare debacle made them realize that Trump isn't getting any legislation to sign from the GOPe, so there's only Schumer left. I mean, why people should trust a party that spent years talking shit about Obamacare but weren't willing to repeal it?

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Schumer probably also has the advantage of moving in the same circles as Trump, socially.

Clearly what happened was that Sen. Bill Nelson got a fax about repealing the debt ceiling but transparently spun as a conservative, Pro-Trump goal.

Then, as he wadded it up, he realized that there was one person that might have worked on; and got on the phone to Schumer.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Did we mention this word salad explosion from his tax reform speech on Wednesday?
    THE PRESIDENT: Thank you, Harold.

North Dakota is an inspiring example of the amazing things that are possible when we unleash the genius of American innovators, unite the red tape, and I’ll tell you -- and we have to unite everything. And all that red tape becomes beautiful when you get rid of it. And we're getting rid of -- are we getting rid of a lot of red tape, by the way? (Applause.) And we unlock the extraordinary potential of our great American workers.

His possible stroke or whatever starts at 9:10 in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRXjJronDKw

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Debt ceiling extension + continuing resolution + Harvey aid just passed the Senate with 80 votes.

There isn't a record of the votes on the actual bill yet, but the procedural votes leading up to it indicates that all opposition probably came from the Republican side (unsuprisingly).

Especially in light of the Politico article I posted earlier, it'll be interesting to see how Trump responds to this unexpected shift in allegiances.

What I'm most interested in did Ted Cruz prove himself to be a shameless hypocrite by vote for it (after voting against Sandy relief because of over-exaggerated add-ons) or a soulless monster for trying to deny his own state hurricane relief to uphold his ideals.

(Yes, I know the answer is both, but which was it this time?)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Debt ceiling extension + continuing resolution + Harvey aid just passed the Senate with 80 votes.

There isn't a record of the votes on the actual bill yet, but the procedural votes leading up to it indicates that all opposition probably came from the Republican side (unsuprisingly).

Especially in light of the Politico article I posted earlier, it'll be interesting to see how Trump responds to this unexpected shift in allegiances.

What I'm most interested in did Ted Cruz prove himself to be a shameless hypocrite by vote for it (after voting against Sandy relief because of over-exaggerated add-ons) or a soulless monster for trying to deny his own state hurricane relief to uphold his ideals.

(Yes, I know the answer is both, but which was it this time?)

Shameless hypocrite, because voting against your home state's interests is a good way to lose your next election (see: Cantor, Eric.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Did we mention this word salad explosion from his tax reform speech on Wednesday?
    THE PRESIDENT: Thank you, Harold.

North Dakota is an inspiring example of the amazing things that are possible when we unleash the genius of American innovators, unite the red tape, and I’ll tell you -- and we have to unite everything. And all that red tape becomes beautiful when you get rid of it. And we're getting rid of -- are we getting rid of a lot of red tape, by the way? (Applause.) And we unlock the extraordinary potential of our great American workers.

His possible stroke or whatever starts at 9:10 in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRXjJronDKw

He clearly had notes or a teleprompter and misread unite as untie.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Or it was misspelled.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Kinda curious how the right wing media is taking this.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Most of them are shitting on Paul Ryan.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Most of them are shitting on Paul Ryan.

Nice to see everyone on the same page for once.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So the month is almost a third over. Has there been any news about what the hell is going on with the budget that needs to pass by the end of the month?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    So the month is almost a third over. Has there been any news about what the hell is going on with the budget that needs to pass by the end of the month?

It just got passed.

Well, a CR for it and the debt ceiling till December, anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

It just got passed.

Yeah, we're basically still on the last budget that Obama tried to negotiate.

• Options
    Now we just have to do the other half dozen things that need to be done before the end of the month, which are not particularly on topic!

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

It just got passed.

Yeah, we're basically still on the last budget that Obama tried to negotiate.

that'd be Murray Ryan or some form of it no?

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Nuking the debt ceiling would do wonders for this country. At least we wouldn't have fuckery for the GOP cause everyone in the world to start wondering if they would be dumb enough to cause a massive shock to the world markets. Would be nice to kill it with something more resilient than legislation because a group of idiots can always make it law again.

Not surprised that Trump doesn't like the concept. As dumb as he is, the whole idea of debt ceiling is idiotic from a financial setup and is something that some idiot fucker would come up with. I'm also wondering if Kelley might have a hand in this change as well, being a military guy, he probably sees the idiocy around the debt ceiling as a threat to the nation. Since the amendment process is out, given how fucking stupid the GOP is on financial matters right now (run government like a business and demand balanced budgets, even though the government is supposed to help out with emergencies, which by their natures are unforeseen and not something that people can really plan for). The courts are also a bad issue, since right now, it seems like once it's there, we've already taken the economic hit. So the legislation is the only option open right now and that might be achievable if Trump comes out against the concept, then he and the Democrats push for short hikes (no more than three months). Trump might not have figured it out, but Kelley probably knows that both Pelosi and Schumer are capable enough to get all or most of their caucus on board with a vote. So only really need Trump's support which can be used to twist Ryan's and McConnell's arms to let it go to the floor and there are still enough Republicans that agree defaulting is fucking stupid, not to mention that with Trump's support, probably twists a few more arms of Republicans into voting yes. This process ends up being painful for the GOP because it's constantly in the news and it constantly ends up being the Democrats saving the US from cratering it's financing, while the idiotic deadbeat base of the GOP whines about the Government spending too much, but expecting to get shit for free. In theory, this could make The GOP decide that removing the debt ceiling altogether would be a swell idea or we get democrats in charge of Congress and they convince Trump in early in 2019 that getting rid of the damn thing, is still a great idea.

Hell, maybe we get lucky and when does go. Some idiots try to sue the government into not doing it and the courts decide they'll bite. Not because the suing party has a great claim to stand, but to get rid of the fucking thing by deeming it unconstitutional. The US has a budget process that decides how much the nation spends and the nation pays it's financial obligations. Only way we get it into the court system without causing the economy to implode.

If we could get there, that means there would be more energy that could be spend elsewhere (Yes, I'm aware that gives idiots more time to try to fuck people over, but it also means no asshole led Congresses don't have to fuck around with assholes on whether we pay the bills or not). Might actually encourage some series introspection on the budget, namely how we're wasting a shit ton of money on cuddling self-entitled wealthy assholes, while also knee capping our ability to do great things because tax cuts for the rich have become the end all be all for some in Congress.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Can we just add an amendment to any and all funding/budget bills that says, "voting for this is also voting for the funding to pay for it"? Like how it used to be, it the before times, long long ago?

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Can we just add an amendment to any and all funding/budget bills that says, "voting for this is also voting for the funding to pay for it"? Like how it used to be, it the before times, long long ago?

You mean before Gingrich?

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    If Congress let's Flynn get away with ignoring their subpoena can that be used as a precident to ignore subpoena going forward, or will he just become trivia fodder as the man that got away with ignoring congress?

If they let him get away with this, the investigation will collapse, I assume. Which is exactly what the Republicans want. Their party line will be "We investigated thoroughly and found nothing. Democrats wailing that we didn't do our jobs are just in denial that they lost in an honest contest and should put aside their bitterness for the good of the country."

I'm still in shock that they are spending so much time and money shielding someone that they treated as The Usurper not that long ago. It really is just party above all else, isn't it?

Trump will sign their tax cuts. That's all they care about.

Speaking of, is Trump seriously signalling that they might hold the hurricane relief money hostage in exchange for their tax cuts?

Donald Trump is, inexplicably, our president

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Sounds like he's just going to blame them if they drag their feet in passing his friends' tax cuts as the reason why hurricane relief could be delayed.

Cause he is always 100% blameless, at least in his little world.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    go congress go is the name of my presidents of the united states of america cover band.

the statement itself doesn't mean anything, tax reform isn't anywhere even near the table, and has zero chance of happening in this administration. cuts might happen next year under 2017's reconciliation but republicans have no unified goal how they actually want to get that done.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Where was that tweet a month ago, when I was trying to come up with a name for my fantasy football team?

• Options
    If Congress let's Flynn get away with ignoring their subpoena can that be used as a precident to ignore subpoena going forward, or will he just become trivia fodder as the man that got away with ignoring congress?

If they let him get away with this, the investigation will collapse, I assume. Which is exactly what the Republicans want. Their party line will be "We investigated thoroughly and found nothing. Democrats wailing that we didn't do our jobs are just in denial that they lost in an honest contest and should put aside their bitterness for the good of the country."

I'm still in shock that they are spending so much time and money shielding someone that they treated as The Usurper not that long ago. It really is just party above all else, isn't it?

Speaking of, is Trump seriously signalling that they might hold the hurricane relief money hostage in exchange for their tax cuts?

Nothing relieves the total devastation of everything I love, know, and own like a barely perceptible cut in my marginal tax rate.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Nothing relieves the total devastation of everything I love, know, and own like a barely perceptible cut in my marginal tax rate.
    If only you were good enough, smart enough and liked enough*, to have a 7 figure income and an 8+ figure net worth, and a private jet to get you away from the devastation, then maybe you'ld be happy. That you don't, is obviously a character flaw. And you should seriously reconsider becoming rich. It's the smart thing to do.

* That Stuart Smalley is not justa sitting Senator, but a gosh darn good one, fills me with cheer.

• Options
    I thought Congress already passed hurricane relief?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

If only you were good enough, smart enough and liked enough*, to have a 7 figure income and an 8+ figure net worth, and a private jet to get you away from the devastation, then maybe you'ld be happy. That you don't, is obviously a character flaw. And you should seriously reconsider becoming rich. It's the smart thing to do.

* That Stuart Smalley is not justa sitting Senator, but a gosh darn good one, fills me with cheer.

The best way of becoming rich, of course, is to receive a large inheritance. This is completely different from wanting a handout. For some reason. Because we say so.

• Options
    I thought Congress already passed hurricane relief?

That was only for Harvey. And even then, was only a drop in the bucket for what they needed for it

steam_sig.png
  • Options

The best way of becoming rich, of course, is to receive a large inheritance. This is completely different from wanting a handout. For some reason. Because we say so.
    Oh, obviously. That's Cog's (and mine) biggest character flaw. We weren't born into money. Darn us and our failed gumption to not be the progeny of rich sires.

• Options

Oh, obviously. That's Cog's (and mine) biggest character flaw. We weren't born into money. Darn us and our failed gumption to not be the progeny of rich sires.

If you aren't smart enough to build a time machine and go back in time and rectify your lineage, you deserve what you get.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    go congress go is the name of my presidents of the united states of america cover band.

the statement itself doesn't mean anything, tax reform isn't anywhere even near the table, and has zero chance of happening in this administration. cuts might happen next year under 2017's reconciliation but republicans have no unified goal how they actually want to get that done.

Tax cuts have gotten the infamous "we'll have a plan in two weeks" treatment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/white-house-republican-leaders-plan-to-reveal-tax-cut-details-in-two-weeks/2017/09/13/ff88c3b8-988d-11e7-87fc-c3f7ee4035c9_story.html?utm_term=.51337acd17df

Unsurprisingly some GOP lawmakers claim they won't vote Yes and trust leadership to figure out the details later after the ACA repeal debacle. Bill in writing or GTFO. We'll see if their spines remain intact if/when the vote actually occurs.

• Options
    Pellaeon wrote: »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/white-house-republican-leaders-plan-to-reveal-tax-cut-details-in-two-weeks/2017/09/13/ff88c3b8-988d-11e7-87fc-c3f7ee4035c9_story.html?utm_term=.51337acd17df

Unsurprisingly some GOP lawmakers claim they won't vote Yes and trust leadership to figure out the details later after the ACA repeal debacle. Bill in writing or GTFO. We'll see if their spines remain intact if/when the vote actually occurs.

At least the dems can filibuster if it's especially egregious, though I'm sure the Pubs will use that to complain of obstructionism in the face of a government shutdown.

• Options

At least the dems can filibuster if it's especially egregious, though I'm sure the Pubs will use that to complain of obstructionism in the face of a government shutdown.

They are probably going to use the FY-2017 Reconciliation Bill which will make it immune to filibuster, but it has to be either actually budget neutral (hah!) or temporary like the Bush tax cuts.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

They are probably going to use the FY-2017 Reconciliation Bill which will make it immune to filibuster, but it has to be either actually budget neutral (hah!) or temporary like the Bush tax cuts.

Or like all the healthcare bills they proposed, not actually be budget neutral at all in any way, but they'll say it is anyway.

They didn't get far enough to need to nix the parliamentarian (de facto killing of the filibuster), but don't count them out yet!

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular

I shall use my awesome powers of clearvoyance to predict what Ryan will propose in two weeks:

1. Lower taxes on the rich.
    2. Zero taxes on getting rich through inheritance.
    3. Higher taxes on the poor.
    4. Bigger deficit.

Am I Nostradamus or what?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I too enjoy instant recessions.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    enc0re wrote: »

I shall use my awesome powers of clearvoyance to predict what Ryan will propose in two weeks:

1. Lower taxes on the rich.
    2. Zero taxes on getting rich through inheritance.
    3. Higher taxes on the poor.
    4. Bigger deficit.

Am I Nostradamus or what?
    Disagree. Replace the last two with
    "3. Modest tax cuts for the lower classes (that will be more than eaten up by other factors)".
    "4. Revenue neutral by way of increased economic growth (at a level that's never been achieved before, and is in no way sustainable)".

Your 3 and 4 is what will happen. My 3 and 4 is what will actually be proposed, sans the parentheses sections.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    At the least I think they'll try to reduce or eliminate the following:
    1) Capital Gains
    2) Estate tax
    3) AMT

Cutting the capital gains tax has to be near the top of everyone's (Republicans at least) wishlist. The estate tax is a big one too, though its impact is so narrow that it is probably less important. Plus the whole 'death tax' thing doesn't seem to get as much traction as it used to.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »
    At the least I think they'll try to reduce or eliminate the following:
    1) Capital Gains
    2) Estate tax
    3) AMT

Cutting the capital gains tax has to be near the top of everyone's (Republicans at least) wishlist. The estate tax is a big one too, though its impact is so narrow that it is probably less important. Plus the whole 'death tax' thing doesn't seem to get as much traction as it used to.
    Yeah. Just as the right branded it a "death tax" the left (not so much politicians, but the general public leftist) need to rebrand it "snot nosed trust fund baby tax". Because with the exemption threshold set so high, what ~$5M, they're really the only ones who benefit.

You want to carve out an exemption for the family farm, the most common excuse? No problem. But the modern aristocrat class self-perpetuation that just appears to be getting worse, needs to die.

Just look at the current progeny of the President? Do they REALLY need more of a helping hand?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Five million will actually come close to covering a family farm. Four million bucks gets you around 450 acres of land (slightly above the average farm size), which leaves a million to cover the house, outbuildings and machinery. Just make farm equipment exempt from the estate tax and you'd probably be good to go (tractors and combines are expensive as hell).

I think the estate tax cut attempts became harder to defend the longer they were out there. Most people think they'll become rich and/or own enough stock that the capital gains or other cuts will (eventually) benefit them, but not many people are going to think that their parents are going to drop $5M+ in their lap when they die.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!