As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Frankly, My Dear, I Don't Give a Dime [Federal Budget]

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Here it is. (head of TPM)

If your brain doesn't seize up and have an aneurysm trying to understand it.

How even does he not understand that the stock market and the national debt are not the same thing?

I can't anymore with this man. I simply cannot listen to anything he says. He doesn't need a "tell", his whole physique shifts as his words move from something he actually knows to something he's making up. He would be the world's worse poker player. He cannot bluff to save his life.

As for the content, this seems to be proof that he thinks that a country and all of the accompanying administration that goes with it works as it would in a business. So that when the nation's currency increases in value w.r.t. other currencies it is like when a stock goes up in value. Somehow he thinks that means the nation gets that money to run things. Which seems to explain his whole view on taxes. Maybe that explains how a lot of people view taxes. If our money is so valuable and used everywhere, why do I have to pay taxes?

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Once again Trump and his ilk proving they don't have a fucking clue.

Also I feel like we really should start looking at US spending and revenue as percents. It would be easier to understand and harder for people to pull this shit of look at this really big number, it's so huge, huger than these past number, while those people ignore any and all context (inflation pretty much ensures numbers will creep up and if economic growth is good, that's going to push numbers up).

Everywhere that takes fiscal policy seriously already does and has since...well, math was invented.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    The DJIA gained 150% from 2009-2017. Even if the relationship he is suggesting existed, he would still not be the hero.

But.

I will make the following deal with Trump: If you double my 401k in the next 3 years, I will personally claim that you did just as well as Obama "maybe better!"

Extra fine print: (But only on my 401k)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    He isn't trying to be consistent or explain anything. He's just bullshitting. That last guy did terrible thing. Me? I did awesome thing.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Once again Trump and his ilk proving they don't have a fucking clue.

Also I feel like we really should start looking at US spending and revenue as percents. It would be easier to understand and harder for people to pull this shit of look at this really big number, it's so huge, huger than these past number, while those people ignore any and all context (inflation pretty much ensures numbers will creep up and if economic growth is good, that's going to push numbers up).

Everywhere that takes fiscal policy seriously already does and has since...well, math was invented.

If only everywhere would or at least schools and the media.

No if you'll excuse me, I need to remind myself this shitty admin has only bee n office for 9 months instead of the eternity that it has felt like.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

How even does he not understand that the stock market and the national debt are not the same thing?

I can't anymore with this man. I simply cannot listen to anything he says. He doesn't need a "tell", his whole physique shifts as his words move from something he actually knows to something he's making up. He would be the world's worse poker player. He cannot bluff to save his life.

As for the content, this seems to be proof that he thinks that a country and all of the accompanying administration that goes with it works as it would in a business. So that when the nation's currency increases in value w.r.t. other currencies it is like when a stock goes up in value. Somehow he thinks that means the nation gets that money to run things. Which seems to explain his whole view on taxes. Maybe that explains how a lot of people view taxes. If our money is so valuable and used everywhere, why do I have to pay taxes?

Honestly, the more you watch him the more he makes me question the intelligence of every person even tangentially involved in NY real estate. He is the worst liar, the worst bullshitter and the worst salesman I think I have ever seen. And he's just irritating as fuck to listen to.

Every time someone talks about how he's "charming in person" I feel like checking their hairline for scars.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Honestly, the more you watch him the more he makes me question the intelligence of every person even tangentially involved in NY real estate. He is the worst liar, the worst bullshitter and the worst salesman I think I have ever seen. And he's just irritating as fuck to listen to.

Every time someone talks about how he's "charming in person" I feel like checking their hairline for scars.

He had money, property, and was backed by his father. That explains it really.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

The thing is, he's not even in the top 10 for NYC real estate deals. There are a bunch of smart, inventive people in that market, but Trump's not even a real player, just riding daddy's coattails.

schuss on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    If our money is so valuable and used everywhere, why do I have to pay taxes?

I know so many people who think this. They think the government is stealing their money via taxes and try to do everything in their power to pay as little as possible. And then they bitch that taxes are so complicated.

I've said in the tax thread that a lot of people feel taxes (and by extension, the budget) is a "success fee"

Trying to get back on topic, has the new budget that some people in Congress were trumpeting (heh) last week actually seen the light of day?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Do you know when everybody in Real Estate gets paid? When a deal happens.

Do you know what everybody in Real Estate gets paid if they stop the deal because this guy is clearly a fucking idiot asshole who won't stop lying? Nothing.

Real Estate deals have a huge inertia behind them and most involved folks have a lot of incentive to have them happen. Add in a little light glad handing/favor doing/bribery to those who don't and you pretty well explain Trump.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Trump is kind of a joke in NY real estate really

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Trump is kind of a joke in NY real estate really

Plus, it's kinda hard for someone in NYC real estate to not have made money over the last 30 years.

Cauld on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Inheriting it when he did?

You'd have to be functionally braindead

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Inheriting it when he did?

You'd have to be functionally braindead

Given that financial analysts say he'd be richer today if he had just stuck that inheritance in the safest, lowest-return investments possible and left it there, I'd say we have an answer to that.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/10/19/republicans-have-the-budget-votes-they-need-but-democrats-prepare-to-make-it-painful/
    The Senate approved the Republican-backed budget Thursday night, a major step forward for the GOP effort to enact tax cuts.

The budget’s passage will allow the GOP to use a procedural maneuver to pass tax legislation through the Senate with 50 or more votes, removing the need for support from Democratic senators.

“Tonight, we completed the first step toward replacing our broken tax code . . . We have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to replace a failing tax code that holds Americans back with one that actually works for them,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said following the 51-49 vote.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who believes the budget ought to reduce the deficit, was the only Republican to vote against it.

This sounds really bad, but ignoring the whole Tax thing (since that's a different thread), what other kind of normal budget related fuckery did they sneak in there? Unfortunately, the article is pretty much worthless on that kind of thing

EDIT: found a better article: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/breaking-fiscal-2018-budget-passed-senate/story?id=50609167
    KDbBO12.png?1
    Oh, and it also opens up drilling in ANWR, because that's clearly budgetary

EDIT2: rehosted to shrink down the image. I can't find the actual rules for the dimension limits, only the 1mb thing?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Comprehensive tax reform" = tax breaks outright given to the wealthiest aaaaarghgh fuck this

• Options
    Worth remember that this still has to be passed by the house and that might be iffy. We'll probably see some shitty compromise bill out of reconciliation committee (it's not going to be shitty because it's a compromise, it'll be shitty because it backs shitty harmful policies). Given how things are going in the GOP inside congress and outside of congress, it's hard to say they pass something for sure. ACA repeal had only one divide, there are a ton when we get the budget and the GOP has become the party that loathes compromise because they view it as being weak.

Also worth noting a number of house members have decided their going to base their re-election next year on running against the Republican Senate because they have to blame something for not being able to get any of their agenda done and they refuse to admit they could be at fault. Not going to turn this into a election thread, but knowledge worth knowing because if they fail to get a budget through, that could be the sole reason that results in neither chamber being able to compromise.

Finally, the one good thing even though the budget is shit if they pass something. At best we get another CR, which isn't great either since that doesn't account in changes in priorities or breakthroughs that change the costs of spending. The budget is a framework on how they'll spend and raise money. Everything beyond that has to be enacted by a bill, which means many of these efforts can be shut down. This is one of the reasons why they don't have to worry about POTUS (I'd say in theory Trump could avoid having to any part of the why it fails, but it's Trump and he'll stick his dick in this and likely emboldened the worst elements of the party in Republican House Caucus from even being interested in compromise).

• Options
    Budget bills aren't appropriations bills, and I don't think they're even binding within the committees, just guidelines/suggestions. Still shitty, though. And clearly demonstrating their priorities and what they want appropriations to look like after lobbyists keep their niche from being eliminated.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this isn't the actual spending, this is just necessary so they can get reconciliation on the table

• Options
    Vox had a nice article written up for why we might actually witness a government shutdown despite having a Republican President and Republicans in full control of Congress. This would be pretty unprecedented and I doubt they'll be able to pass it off as the democrats fault, even though the start of this mess comes down to needing 60 votes in the Senate.

In theory, get that wouldn't be too fucking hard if McConnell settled for a CR. Hell, if the agenda had stayed the way they thought it would be, they might have been able to reach a few compromises to be able to run with something that isn't a CR reauthorizing current spending. I'd say that is a big if given the current Congress, but there were concerns we'd get a shutdown in April. Alabama's special election is probably going to be a factor here (I'm assuming the winner would be able to vote on this and that is will be up for a vote). A Moore win is likely to make it harder to get a CR, let alone something new. A Jones victory would make it easier to get a CR, but probably wouldn't help with getting something new.

Plus, thanks to Trump, the GOP has even less time to try and hammer out something new, which is going to require work. They can't exactly afford to wait too long on re-instating CRS payments for health exchanges (granted courts might save them here, if they rule that the payments are legal and most continue). They really can't afford to wait on helping dreamers and there are likely to be no court rulings that will save their asses if they screw around too long. CHIP is another thing that needs to happen and they'll likely take flack if they don't treat carefully there, optics limit how badly they can jack that up, but it doesn't strike me as something they can get away with ignoring forever. No, of these are things the GOP have easy answers for because the party is batshit crazy, if they were saner, these probably would have all been dealt with by now.

Plus, there is their precious tax reform that they want to get done before the end of the year and that isn't proven to be something that won't be as straight forward as they thought it would. Just check out the thread on it, to see how much of train wreck that is shaping up to be.

Finally, since it's Trump and well in the real world, shit happens. The priority to do list will keep growing. So the longer some of this takes, the less time the GOP will have to get something done. I see little reason for the Democrats to save the GOP from having to fully own a shutdown, and they will get to fully own this one if it happens, if the GOP refuses to act on those current list. Hell, we're dealing with Trump and his batshit crazy wing, who seem keen on a shutdown being okay. So they might feel up to sticking their tongues into the electric socket now because they honestly believe this would help them.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I fully expect Trump to say in public (let's be serious, it'll be a tweet) that the reason the budget doesn't get done is because the Dems refuse to play ball and don't want to get rid of divisions between the parties, blah blah blah. Even though the real reason is that all the deals they (Reps) put on the table were going to get shot down at first glance.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Do you know when everybody in Real Estate gets paid? When a deal happens.

Do you know what everybody in Real Estate gets paid if they stop the deal because this guy is clearly a fucking idiot asshole who won't stop lying? Nothing.

Real Estate deals have a huge inertia behind them and most involved folks have a lot of incentive to have them happen. Add in a little light glad handing/favor doing/bribery to those who don't and you pretty well explain Trump.

Not to divert this thread off-topic, but the Toronto Star did an in-depth piece on the Trump Tower Toronto fiasco. I think the headline will explain why I post it in response to DA's post: How every investor lost money on Trump Tower Toronto (but Donald Trump made millions anyway)

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Vox had a nice article written up for why we might actually witness a government shutdown despite having a Republican President and Republicans in full control of Congress. This would be pretty unprecedented and I doubt they'll be able to pass it off as the democrats fault, even though the start of this mess comes down to needing 60 votes in the Senate.

In theory, get that wouldn't be too fucking hard if McConnell settled for a CR. Hell, if the agenda had stayed the way they thought it would be, they might have been able to reach a few compromises to be able to run with something that isn't a CR reauthorizing current spending. I'd say that is a big if given the current Congress, but there were concerns we'd get a shutdown in April. Alabama's special election is probably going to be a factor here (I'm assuming the winner would be able to vote on this and that is will be up for a vote). A Moore win is likely to make it harder to get a CR, let alone something new. A Jones victory would make it easier to get a CR, but probably wouldn't help with getting something new.

Plus, thanks to Trump, the GOP has even less time to try and hammer out something new, which is going to require work. They can't exactly afford to wait too long on re-instating CRS payments for health exchanges (granted courts might save them here, if they rule that the payments are legal and most continue). They really can't afford to wait on helping dreamers and there are likely to be no court rulings that will save their asses if they screw around too long. CHIP is another thing that needs to happen and they'll likely take flack if they don't treat carefully there, optics limit how badly they can jack that up, but it doesn't strike me as something they can get away with ignoring forever. No, of these are things the GOP have easy answers for because the party is batshit crazy, if they were saner, these probably would have all been dealt with by now.

Plus, there is their precious tax reform that they want to get done before the end of the year and that isn't proven to be something that won't be as straight forward as they thought it would. Just check out the thread on it, to see how much of train wreck that is shaping up to be.

Finally, since it's Trump and well in the real world, shit happens. The priority to do list will keep growing. So the longer some of this takes, the less time the GOP will have to get something done. I see little reason for the Democrats to save the GOP from having to fully own a shutdown, and they will get to fully own this one if it happens, if the GOP refuses to act on those current list. Hell, we're dealing with Trump and his batshit crazy wing, who seem keen on a shutdown being okay. So they might feel up to sticking their tongues into the electric socket now because they honestly believe this would help them.

For those who didn't read TFA, it doesn't paint a rosy picture. There's no telling what's going to happen and the rather unsurprising brinkmanship coming from the GOP base appears to be egging them on to oblivion.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-democrats/trump-i-dont-see-a-deal-with-democrats-on-keeping-government-open-idUSKBN1DS1US

Reuters is a news service.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said he will meet on Tuesday with the Democratic leaders of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi, to discuss keeping the government open but cited differences with them.

“Meeting with “Chuck and Nancy” today about keeping government open and working. Problem is they want illegal immigrants flooding into our Country unchecked, are weak on Crime and want to substantially RAISE Taxes. I don’t see a deal!” Trump said in a Twitter post.

We... are likely headed for a shutdown. But hey, who knows. He might cave.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    The government shutting down due to Trump when the GOP controls both houses...

How does he see that ending positively for him?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

Blame democrats and retain the base that got him elected

Same as all of his other plans

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Hell, and considering the mess he is getting us into by actively destroying government agencies, this may be one of the few times in our history where (other than for the hardworking men and women who will lose their well deserved wages) a government shutdown will actually help advance the agenda of government.

If the government is shut down, then it is a crime to say, fire your science specialists and replace them with industry stooges. Or have meetings over tax cuts for the rich at the expense of workers in blue states.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Oh
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-democrats/trump-i-dont-see-a-deal-with-democrats-on-keeping-government-open-idUSKBN1DS1US

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said he will meet on Tuesday with the Democratic leaders of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi, to discuss keeping the government open but cited differences with them.

“Meeting with “Chuck and Nancy” today about keeping government open and working. Problem is they want illegal immigrants flooding into our Country unchecked, are weak on Crime and want to substantially RAISE Taxes. I don’t see a deal!” Trump said in a Twitter post.

I thought they weren’t going after Trump called the meeting pointless on twitter before it even began

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    Oh

I thought they weren’t going after Trump called the meeting pointless on twitter before it even began

Might just wanna stealthily show that there's at least some responsible adults in the room.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Oh

Might just wanna stealthily show that there's at least some responsible adults in the room.

It looks like that article was posted about 4 hours ago, right after Trump's tweet. It has since been cancelled by the Dems.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Oh

No they're right. Apparently right after Trump said this, Dems declined the meeting.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Ahh, I stand corrected.

Then they're being the adults who don't have time for the wailing of a spoiled toddler.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Too bad it will be seen as them childishly refusing to meet with a president they don’t like because he was mean on the internet.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Too bad it will be seen as them childishly refusing to meet with a president they don’t like because he was mean on the internet.
    And how tough and imposing that the President is, that just his words were enough to do so.

Ignoring the fact that the President and Congressional Leadership need the Democrats or they fail. Hard.

Really is a fucking clownshoes parade in Washington. And if the media don't get their act together and report accurately (example, don't resort to a "both sides are to blame"), then burn it all down. Fucking tired of the media being wishy washy over appearing partisan by reporting the truth. Guess what, media? You're going to get called on it anyway, so you might as well do. your. fucking. job.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

He's a moron.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »

I'm not seeing anyone report on it this way. Although I don't bother with places like Fox where that is a foregone conclusion.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Because McConnell's promises are worth... anything? Fuck any Republican who believes his "promise", especially since their objections are sometimes counter to one another.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Goodbye higher education.