As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Frankly, My Dear, I Don't Give a Dime [Federal Budget]

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they've done studies on what's bought with SNAP and turns out it really isn't any different from the average person. What's on sale, good volume, good price, etc, etc. None of these "anecdotes" where people claim to see SNAP recipients loading up their cart with lobster and wine, wearing designer clothes, before they take it out to their brand new Mercedes Benz.

Which is a whole other kind of bullshit I'd like to see put to rest because it's a pack of lies.

This article is fairly judgy but seems to indicate that SNAP households buy food that's pretty much the same as the average American. A smidge less healthy - about 9% on sugared drinks rather than 7% for non-poor families.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/13/well/eat/food-stamp-snap-soda.html

The "cart full of steaks" thing comes from fraud, because some people sell the high-priced food to people they know for cash. Not because poor people have luxurious tastes!

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    The debt ceiling extension is good. Maybe when we’re in power we can abolish it. It’s not a hostage we want to take, so better to keep it safe for now.

We'll never be able to abolish it when we're in power short of holding the presidency and the house and a filibuster proof majority in the Senate, because the pubs will absolutely not let us otherwise. Threatening to blow up the economy is too valuable a weapon to them when they're in the minority, and they won't give it up.

I do wonder if we might be able to briar patch them into giving it up while they control everything, though. Do their stupid default dance, get people riled up about it, make them think the only way to keep dems out of their hair is to remove the debt ceiling, make Trump think he's really sticking it to the dems by making it into law.

It's a stupid cartoon strategy, but we live in a stupid cartoon country these days, so who fucking knows.

"Be vewwy vewwy quiet..."

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Space tourism to the ISS to help pay for resupply costs? Maybe private sponsorship of science modules for prestige. Build a Trump Tower in space attached to the ISS.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Is this the thread to talk about the proposal that they replace SNAP with a box of food mailed to you, and how dumb and terrible that is?

that is a hilariously bad idea and positively communist in its implementation

food stamps are a super market-friendly solution

Kind of a shame that black people benefit from it though, so what ya gonna do, let them continue benefitting from it?

Obviously not.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I read up on the white house budget proposal and its in fucking sane. Like the infrastructure spending is on a 20% federal 80% local split are you fucking kidding me?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I read up on the white house budget proposal and its in fucking sane. Like the infrastructure spending is on a 20% federal 80% local split are you fucking kidding me?

I actually looked for a gif of Boss Hawg from The Dukes Of Hazzard doing his trademark smug chuckle but I couldn't find a good one. Please imagine it instead.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Their infrastructure plan has the refreshing perk of just being comically stupid rather than aggressively malicious.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Their infrastructure plan has the refreshing perk of just being comically stupid rather than aggressively malicious.

They both do the same amount of damage so I don't see much of a difference.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/12/news/economy/food-stamps-box-blue-apron/index.html
    Think of it as Blue Apron for food stamp recipients.

That's how Budget Director Mick Mulvaney described the Trump administration's proposal to replace nearly half of poor Americans' monthly cash benefits with a box of food. It would affect households that receive at least $90 a month in food stamps, or roughly 38 million people.
    Ouch, my brain.

So it will be extremely wasteful and more expensive than the alternatives?

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Blue Apron costs significantly more per person that buying ingredients at the store and oh my god why is everything in the budget so incredibly stupid...

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Call it a hunch, but I suspect the Blue Apron comment early on this page is an inside joke for those of us who listen to Pod Save America/Lovett or Leave it, etc....
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/12/news/economy/food-stamps-box-blue-apron/index.html

That's how Budget Director Mick Mulvaney described the Trump administration's proposal to replace nearly half of poor Americans' monthly cash benefits with a box of food. It would affect households that receive at least $90 a month in food stamps, or roughly 38 million people.

... god damnit.

OR we just established that Mulvaney is a Friend of the Pod!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Ouch, my brain.

If it costs more money then it’s worth it to make sure these people get their allotted bread crust, block of cheese, and cabbage for the month and not be able to just buy something like Ice Cream which is too good for them.

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Blue Apron costs significantly more per person that buying ingredients at the store and oh my god why is everything in the budget so incredibly stupid...

And wouldn't this possibly put little stores out of business? or least significantly impact their business? If a sizable portion of their customer base is getting food from some central food distribution location, and their customers no longer have food cash to spend, then I could see things going badly for little businesses that are trying to serve lower income people.

The GOP likes to say they care about small business, but this would be a case of likely preferring the larger business (cause you know some large company would get the contract, probably someone with a Mar-a-lago membership).

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »

And wouldn't this possibly put little stores out of business? or least significantly impact their business? If a sizable portion of their customer base is getting food from some central food distribution location, and their customers no longer have food cash to spend, then I could see things going badly for little businesses that are trying to serve lower income people.

The GOP likes to say they care about small business, but this would be a case of likely preferring the larger business (cause you know some large company would get the contract, probably someone with a Mar-a-lago membership).

they do!

they fully support bakeries that refuse to make cakes for gay couples, ummmm chick-fil-a is small right?, and coal. also farmers*

whatever the hell they are anymore

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Is this the thread to talk about the proposal that they replace SNAP with a box of food mailed to you, and how dumb and terrible that is?

Blue Apron really finally got that sweet federal contract huh?

(this is facetious)

It's nothing at all like Blue Apron. Blue Apron sends out boxes of fresh, healthy foods tailored to your family's needs. This would be much the same as a food pantry box, just canned and dry food.

Did anyone else have a video about the nutritional value of crickets at the end of that article?

Because it could also be crickets.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    As terrible as this is, it won’t even come to a vote right? I mean the last CR was essentially a two year budget blueprint that’s ready to be passed right?

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Blue Apron really finally got that sweet federal contract huh?

(this is facetious)

It's nothing at all like Blue Apron. Blue Apron sends out boxes of fresh, healthy foods tailored to your family's needs. This would be much the same as a food pantry box, just canned and dry food.

Did anyone else have a video about the nutritional value of crickets at the end of that article?

Because it could also be crickets.

Everyone aboard the Snowpiercer.

• Options

Family owned businesses like Walmart, who the CNBC article said probably takes in 20% of SNAP benefits, which account for 7.5% of grocery sales nationwide.

Here's the part the really torques me though, and shows you where their head is at:

The USDA claims they can deliver the food at half off retail. And the WH claims its immune to fraud and abuse (see previous sentence...).

And even if that's all true:
    The proposal would save nearly $130 billion over 10 years

They're pocketing the excess instead of just giving them more food.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    It also hurts farmer's markets where people can use SNAP benefits!

So extra bonus.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Family owned businesses like Walmart, who the CNBC article said probably takes in 20% of SNAP benefits, which account for 7.5% of grocery sales nationwide.

Here's the part the really torques me though, and shows you where their head is at:

The USDA claims they can deliver the food at half off retail. And the WH claims its immune to fraud and abuse (see previous sentence...).

Sure they could do that

It'll be like sub school lunch quality(which is a giant dump for foods to crappy to sell in stores)

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Ouch, my brain.

If it costs more money then it’s worth it to make sure these people get their allotted bread crust, block of cheese, and cabbage for the month and not be able to just buy something like Ice Cream which is too good for them.

The money will also go to the food distributor who gets the no-bid contract rather than poor people who qualify for the assistance.

I would say that the irony of Republicans advocating a communistic centrally planned food distribution scheme to replace cash equivalent vouchers that support market competition is hilarious, except it isn't. The utter lack of shame, consideration, and humanity is just sad.

• Options
    edited February 2018

Sure they could do that

It'll be like sub school lunch quality(which is a giant dump for foods to crappy to sell in stores)

You can never have too much cricket peanut butter!
    moniker wrote: »

Ouch, my brain.

The money will also go to the food distributor who gets the no-bid contract rather than poor people who qualify for the assistance.

Monsanto will get the supply gig, to make up for cutting farm subsidies, and Walmart will get the distribution contract to make up for the loss of SNAP revenue.

Then they will allow a merger between the two on the premise of saving even more money when they outsource the USDA to them.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Sorry, I blacked out for a moment and when I came to the USSR national anthem was playing and I was making all these molotovs.

Tell me about the budget again.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    How accurate is the 2010 USDA study estimating SNAP funds to have a 1.79 multiplier on GDP growth?

Because I would very much like to have "The SNAP cuts alone will shrink GDP by almost a quarter trillion dollars over 10 years relative to current projections" in my back pocket if it's a credible factoid.

I thought I'd read a higher multiplier more recently, but google keeps sending me back there.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I don’t know the current numbers exactly but yes, SNAP makes us more money than it costs.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Yeah, dunno about current effects but SNAP is one of those things that is actually a huge boon to the economy

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I don’t know the current numbers exactly but yes, SNAP makes us more money than it costs.

Though the Federal Government doesn't actually make that back in it's coffers, just in overall GDP growth. Though some of it does wind up in State/Local sales tax revenue.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Sorry, I blacked out for a moment and when I came to the USSR national anthem was playing and I was making all these molotovs.

Tell me about the budget again.

Let's please try to contribute more than a joke post when discussing budget stuff in this thread.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure they've done studies on what's bought with SNAP and turns out it really isn't any different from the average person. What's on sale, good volume, good price, etc, etc. None of these "anecdotes" where people claim to see SNAP recipients loading up their cart with lobster and wine, wearing designer clothes, before they take it out to their brand new Mercedes Benz.

Which is a whole other kind of bullshit I'd like to see put to rest because it's a pack of lies.

This isn't the thread for it, but I will point out that this isn't a total lie at all. My fiancee use to get super mad because people would spend their EBT cards on expensive wedding cakes when she worked at a bakery and when she was a checkout clerk she would see people with kids just get junk food. Both of us don't like seeing that but at same time its their choice, it just burns my hide because I remember getting by on hot dogs and creamed corn and would love if my parents had the option of fresh fruits and veggies.

And I personally know a few people who scam the program and sell their food stamps for cash every month. Its crap, but I also fully support the SNAP program. Though I would love to see it expanded to allow people to purchase toiletries and pet food.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    It also hurts farmer's markets where people can use SNAP benefits!

So extra bonus.

Yeah I read and article about this today, like I know my local farmers market takes SNAP but I didn't even think about it. I think thats a wonderful idea/program and should continue.

Edit: I would love to somehow see what I call the "Wal-Mart Cycle" end. When I worked there pretty much everyone who was a full time non-management employee was on SNAP, myself included, and it was easier to just shop on your break or right after your shift then go to another grocery store, and it sucked that the money was going right back to Wal-Mart.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

To completely butcher two quotes, "Sufficiently advanced ignorance is indistinguishable from malice".

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Bucketman wrote: »

This isn't the thread for it, but I will point out that this isn't a total lie at all. My fiancee use to get super mad because people would spend their EBT cards on expensive wedding cakes when she worked at a bakery and when she was a checkout clerk she would see people with kids just get junk food. Both of us don't like seeing that but at same time its their choice, it just burns my hide because I remember getting by on hot dogs and creamed corn and would love if my parents had the option of fresh fruits and veggies.

And I personally know a few people who scam the program and sell their food stamps for cash every month. Its crap, but I also fully support the SNAP program. Though I would love to see it expanded to allow people to purchase toiletries and pet food.

Just to build on this a bit, I also know a few people who sell their stamps, and mostly they do it because the limitations prevent them from getting what they need. So they sell their stamps to get less overall but more flexible cash. In these particular cases it’s often for baby supplies because it doesn’t go as far as you want, or you’re also looking after somebody else’s kid for a while.

I won’t say none of it goes to vices, but, fuck, who am I to judge somebody in that circumstance. People make worse choices under stress. It’s coping. Most of us aren’t paragons of rational spending, we just have a better capacity to get away with it. They need more help and resources, not fewer options and a paternalistic food box.

There definitely exist a relative handful of people who are somewhat abusing the system, but a non-profit acquaintance of mine once said that any benefit system that is too tightly controlled to allow for any fraud is probably helping a lot less people than it could. Sounded right to me.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Oh totally, and I don't judge the people that sell them. And yeah we really should be expanding what it covers, not excluding.

Also I want to give a big shout out to the people in the benefits office. When I was on food stamps they were always overworked and understaffed but were also always extremely helpful and friendly, even when someone was screaming at them.

Double shout out to the lady who was looking over my case at the 3 month mark and realized that the person who entered my original data put a decimal in the wrong place and I was getting about $100 less a month in benefits then I should have been. Going from $70 a month to $170 I felt like I was cheating somehow.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I used to work for a large, semi-famous low income housing development with a large, mostly Muslim refugee, population.

I saw all kinds of shenanigans with abuse of welfare benefits, most egregiously the men with four wives, three of whom were technically single mothers under the eyes of the law and recieved considerable money in food stamps, housing assistance, and child subsidies. Guys barely needed jobs and could just cycle between their households.

It made me mad, sure. The polygamy thing alone was troubling. But the landlord knew about it and bent over backward just to keep them happy because they didn't need the trouble of the community starting to think that they didn't respect their religion. The landlord raked it in from Section 8 housing, and didn't want to upset the boat.

They also didn't report when they offered a full time translator job to a tenant and she refused because she would actually lose money in the exchange when she counted the benefits she got for not working. Technically she should have lost at least her unemployment for having been offered a full time job and refusing it.

So two things you can take from this. First, there are businesses that are complicit in the government benefits biz, and you can hardly blame people for making the best of what resources they have. Secondly, the vast majority of people who recieve food stamps and the like are legitimately going through hard times with few opportunities, and some, like the tenants that I worked with, literally fought their way out of a lawless war zone and crossed halfway around the world to a land where nobody speaks their language and a third of the population hates them for the color of their skin.

I'm not about to start quibbling over whether they buy a wedding cake with their food stamps.

The fact that the current administration wants to not only end the programs that saved these people from war and famine, AND pointlessly and cruelly change the system that lets them feed their families with a modicum of dignity...THAT is the thing that angers me.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    So... it turns out the reason for the food parcel proposal to save money by having people not able to travel to pick up the parcels, instead going hungry. I believe @CelestialBadger picked that first. And the reason it got scuppered, was because Walmart wouldn't benefit. @ArbitraryDescriptor gets the win on that one.

https://splinternews.com/white-house-reportedly-had-a-sinister-ulterior-motive-f-1822992435

These f'n guys... are assholes.

I don't mean in the atypical "bootstraps" mentality way. I mean in the most craven assholish way possible. Slashing food assistance budgets to literally make people go hungry, and only stopped by pressure from their corporate overlords.

I just... can't even...

• Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    The food box idea neatly encapsulates the reality that the Republican party is only for limited/less intrusive government when it comes to rich white men.
    MorganV wrote: »
    And the reason it got scuppered, was because Walmart wouldn't benefit. @ArbitraryDescriptor gets the win on that one.

Walmart quite frankly would not have been able to expand to their present size without food stamps; they pay their workers crap in order to force them to have to sign up for government benefits, and then get that additional EBT revenue from their own workers (in addition to other shoppers that need EBT).

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    It’s a bad idea on frankly a baffling number of levels

Grift and giving poor people shittier food are legit the only possible justifications

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I used to work for a large, semi-famous low income housing development with a large, mostly Muslim refugee, population.

I saw all kinds of shenanigans with abuse of welfare benefits, most egregiously the men with four wives, three of whom were technically single mothers under the eyes of the law and recieved considerable money in food stamps, housing assistance, and child subsidies. Guys barely needed jobs and could just cycle between their households.

It made me mad, sure. The polygamy thing alone was troubling. But the landlord knew about it and bent over backward just to keep them happy because they didn't need the trouble of the community starting to think that they didn't respect their religion. The landlord raked it in from Section 8 housing, and didn't want to upset the boat.

They also didn't report when they offered a full time translator job to a tenant and she refused because she would actually lose money in the exchange when she counted the benefits she got for not working. Technically she should have lost at least her unemployment for having been offered a full time job and refusing it.

So two things you can take from this. First, there are businesses that are complicit in the government benefits biz, and you can hardly blame people for making the best of what resources they have. Secondly, the vast majority of people who recieve food stamps and the like are legitimately going through hard times with few opportunities, and some, like the tenants that I worked with, literally fought their way out of a lawless war zone and crossed halfway around the world to a land where nobody speaks their language and a third of the population hates them for the color of their skin.

I'm not about to start quibbling over whether they buy a wedding cake with their food stamps.

The fact that the current administration wants to not only end the programs that saved these people from war and famine, AND pointlessly and cruelly change the system that lets them feed their families with a modicum of dignity...THAT is the thing that angers me.

Something about this should be illegal, and I'm inclined to say its offering a below living wage job.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The way Walmart benefits from food stamps is a fairly beneficial symbiosis. They may profit well, but they also ship a wide range of nutritious fresh foods to poor areas. The minimarkets that would exist otherwise generally only stock a small range of half-spoiled fresh food.