As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Switching to [STEAM] could save you 15% or more!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I'm... confused about what's going on in here

You see in real life the police are really nice to white supremacists

so the premise of the joke is that in this game you will be nice to them too

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I've never really understood character customization in a single player game with a first person view

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Pinko commie lieberals such as what typically occupies this forum often criticize the behaviour of police officers

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I've never really understood character customization in a single player game with a first person view

there's multiplayer

plus you make sounds and see your hands

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017

American Police are historically reluctant to take harsh action against white people with guns

The most recent high profile example being when Cliven Bundy and other idiots like him took over federal land and the police and FBI kinda did nothing but show up and keep an eye on them even when they were doing shit like pointing guns at federal agents and going into town to resupply

edit legitimate fears of another waco aside it was still an incredibly muted response to essentially an armed insurrection

edit edit so all the shit people are saying are things that have happened and some of them fairly recently

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

A quick google says FC5 will have a Co-op Campaign.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Ok the cult being an outside force that basically invades the area makes me feel better about FC5.

I'm still not sold they can stick the landing, considering how bad the writing in 3 and 4 was, but we'll see I guess.

Dog buddy sounds fun though.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Also the sweet sweet satisfaction of knowing that I'm playing a black woman murdering some white supremacists.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    I can't make black characters in character creators any more after Get Out.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

there's multiplayer

plus you make sounds and see your hands

Plus there is the intrinsic benefit some people get from being able to know that the character they are playing as is the one they themselves made. Even if they never see it in-game, they know it is there.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I haven't seen the film yet, and probably won't for ages, but I'd be very curious to hear a brief explanation of why.

• Options

I haven't seen the film yet, and probably won't for ages, but I'd be very curious to hear a brief explanation of why.

The explanation would involve too many spoilers.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I wonder how characters will respond to you if you play a POC and/or lady, as opposed to a white fella.

• Options

Thematic spoilers for Get Out:
    A large part of the themes of Get Out revolve around white people wanting to be black. It's about weaponised cultural appropriation.

• Options
    I wonder how characters will respond to you if you play a POC and/or lady, as opposed to a white fella.

I hope they don't actually do a difference because if they did, what they would say would HAVE to be extremely uncomfortable to hear.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    My main concern is that most of the open-world games I've played leave you the option to play as a "bad guy." And if they expand that too far in this game, that would be incredibly catastrophic. "You know what, Player Character? You're right, the white race is being unfairly oppressed in this country! Here's a rope."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

I hope they don't actually do a difference because if they did, what they would say would HAVE to be extremely uncomfortable to hear.

Yeahhhhh I don't know how they'd do that without it just being awful. Like, people play games to escape, I wouldn't want to be a POC playing a POC in a game and have to be subjected to racist shit.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Yeahhhhh I don't know how they'd do that without it just being awful. Like, people play games to escape, I wouldn't want to be a POC playing a POC in a game and have to be subjected to racist shit.

I absolutely admit that I'm coming from a position of super duper white dude privilege and ignorance here, but I kinda just wonder what the point of even including the option is in a very specific premise like this, if there is no contextual repercussions.

If there's no change then it just seems... shallow? I'm not sure.

• Options

I absolutely admit that I'm coming from a position of super duper white dude privilege and ignorance here, but I kinda just wonder what the point of even including the option is in a very specific premise like this, if there is no contextual repercussions.

Because it lets people represent themselves in games. POC/nonbinary/trans/etc characters are so underrepresented as main characters in video games that people like having the option to play as someone like them. That's what I've been told, anyway.

• Options
    edited May 2017

It still adds a level of immersion and representation that is sorely needed.

I mean, if they added a checkbox when you made your character that just added a sexual preference title on the stat screen and that affected literally no other aspect of the game at all, I would still be over the moon about it.

Magic Pink on
  • Options

How about if you play as a POC who gets subjected to racist shit and then gets to blow the local racist sheriff into low orbit? Eh?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

How about if you play as a POC who gets subjected to racist shit and then gets to blow the local racist sheriff into low orbit? Eh?

but they always try to drag it out to increase the tension and subject you to more of it. you'd have to put up with that racist shit till the end of the game. I know I couldn't do that

• Options
    I was thinking the other day of how they'd handle trans stuff in games, because it'd be nice to have that segment of the population able to see themselves in games more

and I think it's best done if it's just... not a thing? Like, just make it an option in the gender selection thing but let you choose everything else as you wish. Any other option seems like it'd come off as shitty.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Austin wrote some stuff based on the advanced looked have had at the game

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

I feel like this is at least in part what Mafia 3 was going for

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

I feel like this is at least in part what Mafia 3 was going for

Mafia 3 at least has some historical context to the racism, too. Not to imply that America is less racist now, it was just... significantly more overt and less dogwhistle-y then.

• Options
    I was thinking the other day of how they'd handle trans stuff in games, because it'd be nice to have that segment of the population able to see themselves in games more

and I think it's best done if it's just... not a thing? Like, just make it an option in the gender selection thing but let you choose everything else as you wish. Any other option seems like it'd come off as shitty.

Giving the player power to choose any race or gender without NPCs giving you any shit about it definitely has a place in modern gaming, and I think it could be very powerful. But having NPCs express racist or sexist or generally white patriarchalist sentiments and giving the player the power to oppose these is equally powerful. Both approaches are positive.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm pretty okay with that

Like the idea that the rest of the community is not cool with these white extremists is perhaps fancifully optimistic, but I don't know that I super needed a game about how crushingly terrible everyone is.

• Options

Like the idea that the rest of the community is not cool with these white extremists is perhaps fancifully optimistic, but I don't know that I super needed a game about how crushingly terrible everyone is.

yeah we have Bloodborne for that

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

Instead, though, Ubisoft is promising pressure. And to have pressure, you need to sell not only the terror of the villain, but the humanity of the victims, too. You need to show people at work and at rest, but never able to be at peace.

At this point, it's hard to know whether FC5 will nail that, but at the very least, Ubisoft Montreal is smart enough to foreground Montanans as average Americans (and their own incredibly pulpy saviors) in the debut trailer and a set of series of character vignettes that released today. We get mechanics working on engines, and an old man sitting with his dog. We get a local, no-bullshit bartender whose family was targeted by the cult, and the crop duster who has reason to consider a vigilante use for his planes. And we get a Black preacher—the first positive image of faith in the game's PR push—pining for vengeance in a bombed out church. Pressure.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    i definitely get the feeling that any race or political issues will be largely sidelined or implied, yeah

seems like they want people focusing on the crazy religious cult angle

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

I think that's really interesting. I can see that angle, but I don't really share the view - it's very, very rare that I feel myself as "inhabiting" a video game protagonist. 99% of the time, it's the same as a movie protagonist, for me. I'm here to see their story, not mine, if that makes sense.

So when I build a PoC protagonist, it's me creating the protagonists I want to see more of in stories, and never a representation of how I see myself or how I want to be seen.

• Options
    Man, who is that voice

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I think that's really interesting. I can see that angle, but I don't really share the view - it's very, very rare that I feel myself as "inhabiting" a video game protagonist. 99% of the time, it's the same as a movie protagonist, for me. I'm here to see their story, not mine, if that makes sense.

So when I build a PoC protagonist, it's me creating the protagonists I want to see more of in stories, and never a representation of how I see myself or how I want to be seen.

I feel you. When I'm playing a game I never ask myself "What decision should I make here?" but always "What decision do I think this character should make here?" It's a subtle distinction, but it's a pretty big perspective differene.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular

This is why cipher protagonists (like Gordon Freeman or Chrono) lose me. I'm me all of the time. I enjoy it, but I don't need to be me in a game.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Oh you're an American cop vs white supremacists? Man, I wonder how they're going to handle the bringing them sweet tea gameplay. Like, will they have a QTE for the brewing and pouring, or do you just like "pick up sweet tea" and it's in your inventory? I wonder how many different options they'll have for you to say "do you feel like giving up now? It's totally fine if you don't"

Wait, sweet tea? Does the game relocate Montana to be between Alabama and Louisiana?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
This discussion has been closed.