The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Switching to [STEAM] could save you 15% or more!

24567101

Posts

  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Torment intro
    Got the Terminal Velocity achievement on my first character.

    Whoops.

    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    captainkMidnite
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 3
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I really gotta play more PoE

    Considering cranking the difficulty down, but I do want to engage with the mechanics. I just need to learn them more, I suppose.

    Edit: I may actually make a new character, because I'm not sure Chanter is really my shit. A very cool concept, though.

    I recommend going priest, because learning buffs/debuffs and how they affect the fights is a great way to learn the system. Also it allows you to ditch Durance if you'd rather he die in a fire, though I believe his story is one of the more interesting ones.

    Also I thought the expansion stuff was better than the main game.

    TheStig on
    the-place-beyond-the-pines-03_thumb_zps3d4e0ec7.jpg
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStigCFN: Stiggles
  • ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere Clock King Registered User regular
    people seem really hyped about the new nier

    which feels odd, because I was under the impression that the first one wasn't that good?

    DisruptedCapitalistBucketman
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO ROLLING STAAAAAAAAAAAAART Registered User regular
    people seem really hyped about the new nier

    which feels odd, because I was under the impression that the first one wasn't that good?

    the main gameplay was moderately interesting and did some cool creative stuff, and the story was great, but it was all marred by shitty shitty grindy optional sidequests

  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. If one day - you have someone that you like Please tell me. Alright?Registered User regular
    people seem really hyped about the new nier

    which feels odd, because I was under the impression that the first one wasn't that good?

    the gameplay was not particularly praised, but the story and conceptual ideas were very b-tier beloved


    and now the gameplay is being done by the guys who did Metal Gear Rising, while the regular people are behind story, so

    Stilts
  • PeewiPeewi Ya!!! Bub! Registered User regular

    Oh good. I was worried that the release date not having been announced meant that is be months later.

    Switch: SW-6132-4331-5349 || Steam
    sigww
    BahamutZERO
  • MorivethMoriveth Nobody suspects a thing... Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I really gotta play more PoE

    Considering cranking the difficulty down, but I do want to engage with the mechanics. I just need to learn them more, I suppose.

    Edit: I may actually make a new character, because I'm not sure Chanter is really my shit. A very cool concept, though.

    I recommend going priest, because learning buffs/debuffs and how they affect the fights is a great way to learn the system. Also it allows you to ditch Durance if you'd rather he die in a fire, though I believe his story is one of the more interesting ones.

    Also I thought the expansion stuff was better than the main game.

    Isn't Durance dying in a fire exactly what he wants, though?

    3ds friend code: 2036 9837 9754
    DubhStraightziOats
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO ROLLING STAAAAAAAAAAAAART Registered User regular
    basically you have me at "Platinum action game with what appears to be an actual budget" and then you throw in that it's also a Yoko Taro project
    skIpPp6.png

    el_vicioDisruptedCapitalistSirEtchwartsBucketmanStiltschocoboliciouswanderingturtleant
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I really gotta play more PoE

    Considering cranking the difficulty down, but I do want to engage with the mechanics. I just need to learn them more, I suppose.

    Edit: I may actually make a new character, because I'm not sure Chanter is really my shit. A very cool concept, though.

    I recommend going priest, because learning buffs/debuffs and how they affect the fights is a great way to learn the system. Also it allows you to ditch Durance if you'd rather he die in a fire, though I believe his story is one of the more interesting ones.

    Also I thought the expansion stuff was better than the main game.

    Isn't Durance dying in a fire exactly what he wants, though?

    I'm okay with a mutually beneficial outcome.

    the-place-beyond-the-pines-03_thumb_zps3d4e0ec7.jpg
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStigCFN: Stiggles
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. If one day - you have someone that you like Please tell me. Alright?Registered User regular
    yoko taro might be a better interview than swery, which is something

    BahamutZEROMaddocMidnitemasterofmetroidBucketmanStiltschocoboliciousgtrmpturtleant
  • DubhDubh Suggests Bastet EgyptRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I really gotta play more PoE

    Considering cranking the difficulty down, but I do want to engage with the mechanics. I just need to learn them more, I suppose.

    Edit: I may actually make a new character, because I'm not sure Chanter is really my shit. A very cool concept, though.

    I recommend going priest, because learning buffs/debuffs and how they affect the fights is a great way to learn the system. Also it allows you to ditch Durance if you'd rather he die in a fire, though I believe his story is one of the more interesting ones.

    Also I thought the expansion stuff was better than the main game.

    Isn't Durance dying in a fire exactly what he wants, though?

    ciphers are fucking weird/neat

    not sure what you're feeling, tbh

    Psn: Doobhbutt
    Steam: Doobh
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 3
    Mori said chanters, which I also felt were bland

    TheStig on
    the-place-beyond-the-pines-03_thumb_zps3d4e0ec7.jpg
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStigCFN: Stiggles
  • DubhDubh Suggests Bastet EgyptRegistered User regular
    I, uh, said ciphers

    Psn: Doobhbutt
    Steam: Doobh
  • FishmanFishman We've won the race, we've claimed our place Forever cold and lost in spaceRegistered User regular
    The Final Mission.

    OPERATION AVENGER
    This was a test of everything that came before... everything we had learned and struggled against, every challenge and obstacle that XCOM had fought to overcome.

    From the moment they entered the ship, our team of heroes had to fight their way past all of the enemies we had encountered in the campaign to defend Earth, escalating in danger and threat index.

    When at last the final guardian fell, the way to the bridge lay open, and the Ethereal leadership contained within. Revealing themselves at last to Earth's champions, they were struck with an awesome sense of power that lasted but a moment before it was interrupted...

    20170302224856_1_zpsnjlzjven.jpg

    ... before being silenced completely.

    20170302224923_1_zps497svzo0.jpg



    As the unleashing of powerful psychic energy tore at the ship, the team was caught as the vessel threatened to collapse around them.

    But one of them knew what was required.

    20170302225003_1_zpstt1ngqxm.jpg

    There would be no Armageddon today. No self immolation of the alien mothership, no raining ribbons of energy to fracture the Earth. The invasion would be repelled, the aliens cut off, and the world saved. All that was required was the will to make it so.

    Fin.

    And thus the world was saved, the millions of lives owed to the actions of the few; those that had sacrificed so much: their minds; their bodies; their very lives. The vast majority of the people they saved would never know their names, but to those who knew and witnessed them, they would never be forgotten.

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    cB557SorceKarlIolochrishallett83Crippl3sarukun
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I, uh, said ciphers

    thought you were refuting the chanter statement

    the-place-beyond-the-pines-03_thumb_zps3d4e0ec7.jpg
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStigCFN: Stiggles
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    people seem really hyped about the new nier

    which feels odd, because I was under the impression that the first one wasn't that good?



    Nah it was an amazing game. the sidequests were my favorite part

  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. If one day - you have someone that you like Please tell me. Alright?Registered User regular
    people seem really hyped about the new nier

    which feels odd, because I was under the impression that the first one wasn't that good?

    IoloBucketman
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist Registered User regular
    So in summary: Yoko Taro is a crazy genius, so if you like the creative work of crazy geniuses, then you'll like Nier:Automata?

  • StraightziStraightzi So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear, Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.Registered User regular
    Ciphers, Chanters, and Barbarians are my favorite classes to play in PoE. I really want to like Monks because I find their mechanic fascinating, but I have not gotten into them yet.

    Though I might experiment with multiclassing in the sequel to get that Cipher/Rogue thing going, I feel like that's got to be a good time.

    Bucketman
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    50 minutes left to jump on the Humble Bundle monthly if you want Total War Warhammer and some mystery games for $12. :)

  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The last set included Abzu and SteamWorld Heist, so they can be pretty strong sometimes

    6F32U1X.png
    Iolo
  • ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere Clock King Registered User regular
    people seem really hyped about the new nier

    which feels odd, because I was under the impression that the first one wasn't that good?


    I think I might actually know less about Nier after watching that

    I have aquired negative knowledge

  • MorivethMoriveth Nobody suspects a thing... Registered User regular
    Yeah, I might give Cipher a chance

    plus I do like Chanters, and I have Kana for that

    3ds friend code: 2036 9837 9754
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Thats not the best nier summary

    Clemps does a good video series on it that doesnt skip over like half the build up of thr plot

  • StraightziStraightzi So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear, Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah, I might give Cipher a chance

    plus I do like Chanters, and I have Kana for that

    Downside - you will have to hang out with Kana.

  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So should I play Torment or go play Planescape Torment first?

    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    The Final Mission.

    OPERATION AVENGER
    This was a test of everything that came before... everything we had learned and struggled against, every challenge and obstacle that XCOM had fought to overcome.

    From the moment they entered the ship, our team of heroes had to fight their way past all of the enemies we had encountered in the campaign to defend Earth, escalating in danger and threat index.

    When at last the final guardian fell, the way to the bridge lay open, and the Ethereal leadership contained within. Revealing themselves at last to Earth's champions, they were struck with an awesome sense of power that lasted but a moment before it was interrupted...

    20170302224856_1_zpsnjlzjven.jpg

    ... before being silenced completely.

    20170302224923_1_zps497svzo0.jpg



    As the unleashing of powerful psychic energy tore at the ship, the team was caught as the vessel threatened to collapse around them.

    But one of them knew what was required.

    20170302225003_1_zpstt1ngqxm.jpg

    There would be no Armageddon today. No self immolation of the alien mothership, no raining ribbons of energy to fracture the Earth. The invasion would be repelled, the aliens cut off, and the world saved. All that was required was the will to make it so.

    Fin.

    And thus the world was saved, the millions of lives owed to the actions of the few; those that had sacrificed so much: their minds; their bodies; their very lives. The vast majority of the people they saved would never know their names, but to those who knew and witnessed them, they would never be forgotten.



    Good game guys. Ready for none of it to have happened when you start XCOM 2? :P

    rSjqbNT.jpg?1
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    So should I play Torment or go play Planescape Torment first?

    It's all subjective, of course, but Planescape is kinda hard to get into these days, I think. The UI is garbage, and a lot of the mechanics are complicated and obtuse. And I hope you know how AD&D rules work, because the game will not explain any of that.

    Torment has a much smoother onboarding, and doesn't require any knowledge of Planescape. But Planescape is a classic for a reason, so if you are undaunted by "thrown in the deep end" experiences, it can still be rewarding.

    IoloMidniteBrolo
  • JedocJedoc That citation you've neededRegistered User regular
    The new Torment isn't any kind of direct sequel to Planescape. It's set in a completely different fiction with no overlapping characters or settings (unless there are some easter eggs I haven't heard of.) So you won't be missing out on any story beats by not playing Planescape first.

    That being said, Planescape is a really, really good story, and I think it's one of the few old CRPGs that's absolutely worth wrestling with the interface and combat systems to experience.

    GDdCWMm.jpg
    A Dabble Of TheloniusMidniteBucketman
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah, Planescape Torment is mentioned among the PC greats, especially on this forum. I think just via osmosis I know the ending of that game, but also that there's a blue dude with dreads and a goofy talking skull.

    But if the dialogue and character work is as good as Torment is being described as having, then I might still be interested.

    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Every time I play though Torment I cheat myself up so I start with 18 in all stats so that I can do all the fun stat checks and be tough and not bad at combat. 18 is high enough for most stuff but not so high that the extra point you get each level is useless.

    I also usually play as a mage, but this last time I did fighter, and it's so much easier. Especially with 18 STR/DEX/CON. But there's lots of cool shit you can do as a Mage, too.

    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • JedocJedoc That citation you've neededRegistered User regular
    I think that's a pretty valid way to play. I never once remember finishing a fight in Planescape and saying to myself, "Wow, what a fun and exciting fight! I'm sure glad those enemies were there to keep me from the next weird conversation!"

    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/532320/

    de Blob is coming to Steam! I'm screaming rn

    rSjqbNT.jpg?1
    ThatDudeOverThere
  • DubhDubh Suggests Bastet EgyptRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah, I might give Cipher a chance

    plus I do like Chanters, and I have Kana for that

    Downside - you will have to hang out with Kana.

    no matter how irritating Kana can be

    he is still no Durance

    Psn: Doobhbutt
    Steam: Doobh
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    people seem really hyped about the new nier

    which feels odd, because I was under the impression that the first one wasn't that good?


    I think I might actually know less about Nier after watching that

    I have aquired negative knowledge

    YOKO TARO

    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

    Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Revenge of Purple Steve Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/532320/

    de Blob is coming to Steam! I'm screaming rn

    I'm amazed it wasn't already on Steam.

    steam_sig.png
    el_vicio
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    So should I play Torment or go play Planescape Torment first?

    It's all subjective, of course, but Planescape is kinda hard to get into these days, I think. The UI is garbage, and a lot of the mechanics are complicated and obtuse. And I hope you know how AD&D rules work, because the game will not explain any of that.

    Torment has a much smoother onboarding, and doesn't require any knowledge of Planescape. But Planescape is a classic for a reason, so if you are undaunted by "thrown in the deep end" experiences, it can still be rewarding.

    read/watch an lp of planescape

    it's one of my favorite games, but fuck me if I can actually recommend playing it, especially if you're unfamiliar with ad&d rules

    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

    Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
    KwoaruIoloMidnite
  • StraightziStraightzi So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear, Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah, I might give Cipher a chance

    plus I do like Chanters, and I have Kana for that

    Downside - you will have to hang out with Kana.

    no matter how irritating Kana can be

    he is still no Durance

    I'm not sure which one I dislike more, honestly. Durance, Kana, and Aloth are all in my bottom three, and they constantly swap around.

  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I've gone over this before but I really like the poe priest design. it's a much better take over the traditional priests are here to heal. fuck heals, drop pillars on everyone

    A Dabble Of Thelonius
  • DubhDubh Suggests Bastet EgyptRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah, I might give Cipher a chance

    plus I do like Chanters, and I have Kana for that

    Downside - you will have to hang out with Kana.

    no matter how irritating Kana can be

    he is still no Durance

    I'm not sure which one I dislike more, honestly. Durance, Kana, and Aloth are all in my bottom three, and they constantly swap around.

    the blatant sexism puts durance waaaaaaaaaaay at the bottom for me

    Psn: Doobhbutt
    Steam: Doobh
This discussion has been closed.