As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trailers] Attractive singers trying to be actors

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    deadpool 2 trailer

posting reddit link until theres a better quality youtube video

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/5xcvs9/the_deadpool_2_teaser_was_just_leaked/?st=izuifshu&sh=740b21c1

note that the theater in the background is playing Logan.

Lots of Firefly posters around, too.

And who's Nathan Summers? Cyclops's son?

Yes AKA Cable, a timetraveling frequent partner of Deadpool

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    deadpool 2 trailer

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/5xcvs9/the_deadpool_2_teaser_was_just_leaked/?st=izuifshu&sh=740b21c1

Yes AKA Cable, a timetraveling frequent partner of Deadpool

Oh - hah. Never knew his name other than "Cable." :D

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    deadpool 2 trailer

Yes. AKA Cable.

e) Should have refreshed after an hour idling.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    deadpool 2 trailer

Yes, he's known as Cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylxWmuphQqg

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Word on the street is that Nathan Summers is known as "Cable". Did anyone hear anything about that?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Stolen from [chat].

And a clip
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4we5kJsFZ4

Yes, they changed Motoko's name to Mira. Her surname is altered to Killian or something.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

Yes, they changed Motoko's name to Mira. Her surname is altered to Killian or something.
    wut? why?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Handgimp wrote: »

wut? why?
    They're trying really badly to pretend Scarlett isn't playing a white washed Motoko, despite leaving almost everything else about the character in tact.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I feel like Ghost In the Shell is going to end up being Man of Steel bad

In that they're literally copying the good parts from the source material, but then butchering it all into an unsatisfying mess

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

In that they're literally copying the good parts from the source material, but then butchering it all into an unsatisfying mess

I'm curious if they're going to crib more from Stand Alone Complex than the original Ghost in the Shell movie aside from the movie's broad themes.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I'm curious if they're going to crib more from Stand Alone Complex than the original Ghost in the Shell movie aside from the movie's broad themes.

The trailers suggest the latter, but
    aside from his name being "Kuze" the bad guy seems to be a wholly new creature that's a mix between the Puppetmaster and Laughing Man, through a Western lens that focused on her origin.
    That said, we won't know until we actually see it, of course.

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Stolen from [chat].

And a clip

Please no

everything about this makes me want to scream

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Literally the only absolutely, easily justified and joke of a controversial casting decision was ScarJo as Makoto Kusanagi, japanese name and all.

Like, I'm fucking flabbergasted at the whole OMGBUTJAPANESE outrage, all by people who didnt pay a MOMENT of attention to the source material.

Her(and even that is up to debate!) body dysmorphia and how it effects her is one of the driving, informing points of the character.

Hell, making Makoto "generic(Scar Jo is not generic hot, but follow me here)" hot is basically stone cold perfect casting.

Ugh. In a perfect world, the ScarJo casting+an INTENSELY Japanese cast is my dream ghost in a shell movie
    And now we get the studio folding to ridiculously off base pressure. Which informs you they barely no what Ghost in the Shell is, so it's even worse....

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    that clip looks like they are changing her origin somewhat, looks like she is now adult when she gets cyborg'd up instead of very young/unborn (depending on the source)

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Ghost in the Shell feels more like Robocop with the serial numbers filed off with every clip of it they release.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    "What if you wanted to fuck Robocop?"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Fuckocop

• Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »

Fuckocop

Man "Dead or alive your cumming with me." Really takes on a dark tone.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    They should just go full 4Kids adaption by naming Motoko something like Sally Kennedy and describing her pistol as a donut.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The Assignment Trailer #1, Sigourney Weaver and Michelle Rodriguez AND TONY ADRIAN MONK SHALHOUB :winky: , alright fine I'm game:

https://youtu.be/iH1H4Ph4CEo

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    God that clip..... that dialog jesus christ you guys. :(

edit: seriously guys, that dialog in that GitS clip was film crime.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Literally the only absolutely, easily justified and joke of a controversial casting decision was ScarJo as Makoto Kusanagi, japanese name and all.

Like, I'm fucking flabbergasted at the whole OMGBUTJAPANESE outrage, all by people who didnt pay a MOMENT of attention to the source material.

Her(and even that is up to debate!) body dysmorphia and how it effects her is one of the driving, informing points of the character.

Hell, making Makoto "generic(Scar Jo is not generic hot, but follow me here)" hot is basically stone cold perfect casting.

Ugh. In a perfect world, the ScarJo casting+an INTENSELY Japanese cast is my dream ghost in a shell movie
    And now we get the studio folding to ridiculously off base pressure. Which informs you they barely no what Ghost in the Shell is, so it's even worse....

Really? Scar jo is who you'd choose as a strong commanding woman? Not Charlize Theron or Sigourney Weaver (younger obviously) or really just anyone that doesn't sound like they're always trying to seduce the camera.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Scarlett Johansson sounds like someone who smokes many, many cigarettes (because she did/does), and seems fairly uncomfortable with the sexy image.

Her seductive act seems super-affected. It seems like something the Industry put on her, rather than being Her Thing.

Most Very Attractive People don't know that they are, and are very uncomfortable having that projected onto them; this is especially true for women, even if they've commodified it.

I would absolutely cast her as a commander, and direct her to behave as though she's somebody who's been through a bunch of double-standard, back-dealing bullshit. Because she almost certainly is.

• Options
    NotYou wrote: »
    Really? Scar jo is who you'd choose as a strong commanding woman? Not Charlize Theron or Sigourney Weaver (younger obviously) or really just anyone that doesn't sound like they're always trying to seduce the camera.

In theory she does, she's an excellent Black Widow - unfortunately the director is getting a bad performance from her in the trailers. She has the chops for this, but either she's phoning it in or the director is giving her bad direction. She's far too vulnerable in the trailers for the Major.

The actress they had before her was Margot Robbie, before she left for Suicide Squad.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    The Assignment Trailer #1, Sigourney Weaver and Michelle Rodriguez AND TONY ADRIAN MONK SHALHOUB :winky: , alright fine I'm game:

https://youtu.be/iH1H4Ph4CEo

A transgender action movie, huh? Michelle Rodriguez is the chick playing the dude, playing another chick? It's like Face/Off, only 10 times meaner.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Jojo Teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WaoTEAMTdI

Cautiously optimistic.

• Options
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Jojo Teaser

Cautiously optimistic.
    Yare yare daze.

Should have been a Stardust Crusaders adaption.

Hopefully it'll at least have gravity defying posing to make up for it

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2017

People paid attention to the source material, that's the problem. This goes beyond Scarlet's casting, too (originally the movie was moving ahead with that A list star, Margot Robbie) - it's that they're Americanizing it rather than embracing the series Japanese centric tone. This movie also encapsulates many of Hollywood issues with giving minorities representation in movies, and their lack of caring/institutional racism regarding anyone who ins't a white man, and sometimes a white lady.

Nobody has an issue with the Major's body dysmorphia angle (which I will be interested if the movie is doing anything interesting with where another actress of an Asian decent isn't relegated to give minutes or less screen time because they can't be bothered casting an Asian lead), it's that in this case, and too often in general, it's always a white actor who gets the spotlight. It's not like they can't have a movie about that subject with an Asian actress, after all. Or an Indian actress, or a black actress or etc.
    They're not folding, they're doing PR spin they should have seen a mile away. Scarlet isn't being replaced by an Asian actress here.

I agree that not all anime/manga adaptions require Asian leads, like Attack on Titan or Fullmetal Alchemist. However, like in Hollywood our default is white (though this is becoming less tenuous as a concept due to increasing demographics in non-white populations, which is only going to grow larger over time), in Asia their default is their ethnicity - not white* - and just because Hollywood is making the movie does not overwrite that fact in the IP. That should be where this movie should be starting from, not our viewpoint.

Plus, America is a melting pot - places like Hong Kong and Japan, not so much. And that doesn't get into the cultural issues regarding race they have on their own, which is not identical to America's though there is overlap but starting from their default not ours.

* this also may be contributing to Matt Damon being a success over there, since they're not used to a white lead in their films. For us it's Tuesday, and vice versa.

edit: Wait until we get Death Note and Akira, that's even going to bigger train wrecks on this front.

edit: The fact that they'd rather do this than go through with casting an Asian lead is problematic AF.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/scarlett-johansson-ghost-in-the-shell-tests-to-look-asian-2016-4
    In the wake of the controversial choice to cast Scarlett Johansson as the lead of the Hollywood adaptation of the Japanese anime franchise “Ghost in the Shell,” ScreenCrush reports that producers of the film tested digital visual effects that would make actors look more Asian.

According to a source in the story, producers immediately rejected the idea after tests were completed, but the news is the latest example of Hollywood “whitewashing” — casting white actors in non-white roles — that has been getting a spotlight in recent years.

That this got to the testing stage at all is disgusting.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I honestly wouldn't have much of a problem at all with them casting an American woman for the role, since it's obviously going to be heavily localised to appeal to a wider audience, and Motoko's body is a prosthetic, and is not influenced by genes at all. However, they could have chosen someone with acting chops, the physicality and the slightly 'masculine' bone structure that 1995 Motoko was rocking. If you wanted to go for the Stand Alone Complex appearance, I could understand casting an actress with a bit more femininity, but in my eyes ScarJo is a poor choice. She's always had problems with trying to portray stoic characters, and ends up with a blank face while she mumbles. All that might be forgiven though, if they hadn't taken such massive liberties with the character. They might have done a good job with the setting, but it's the character that matters.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Jojo Teaser

Cautiously optimistic.
    Yare yare daze.

Should have been a Stardust Crusaders adaption.

Hopefully it'll at least have gravity defying posing to make up for it

not just gravity defying, also anatomically impossible:
    sFU7n9I.jpg

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Mehh.. Diamond is Unbreakable.... stardust would have been so much better.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Warcry wrote: »
    I honestly wouldn't have much of a problem at all with them casting an American woman for the role, since it's obviously going to be heavily localised to appeal to a wider audience, and Motoko's body is a prosthetic, and is not influenced by genes at all. However, they could have chosen someone with acting chops, the physicality and the slightly 'masculine' bone structure that 1995 Motoko was rocking. If you wanted to go for the Stand Alone Complex appearance, I could understand casting an actress with a bit more femininity, but in my eyes ScarJo is a poor choice. She's always had problems with trying to portray stoic characters, and ends up with a blank face while she mumbles. All that might be forgiven though, if they hadn't taken such massive liberties with the character. They might have done a good job with the setting, but it's the character that matters.

Motoko's body is explicitly one that is influenced by genes. She chose the most popular model for rich Japanese women in an ethno-centric society where the primary theme besides the ghost was the relationship of Japanese society with the rest of the world. It is not a coincidence that they live in a world of heavy immigration restrictions and most of the problems in their society are a result of that policy.

The inability of Motoko to come to grips with her changing body and how it relates to her soul is mirrored by the inability of Japanese society to come to grips with its changing demographics and realize that it's still Japan even if it's not.

Her choosing an Asian body is (or at least was) not plot independent

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Mehh.. Diamond is Unbreakable.... stardust would have been so much better.

Diamond is a Crash is not nearly as effects heavy as Stardust so it would work better as a first attempt. Besides it's far more character driven and doesn't rely on the monster of the week quite as much as Stardust.

Plus they already tried to condense Stardust and it did not work so well, what with the fight vs Dio taking up the bulk of the story. Still I appreciate that they took the time to include D'Arby in that 1994 OVA.

• Options
    New Void Trailer

Spoiling it just in case.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    New Void Trailer

Spoiling it just in case.

Looks like the movie opens with exactly the kind of thing that keeps me away from horror

Too bad. It otherwise looked like a possibly tasteful Lovecraftian jam

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    A Shadowrun movie trailer, you say?

I was hoping it was that.

Wasn't disappointed.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Red Band for Rough Night, a new Sony comedy film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIB4jNYeRY4

See, I mentioned Sony because that looks like shit and that studio is getting to be below Lionsgate in terms of just pre-cringe judgement. Sort of a genderswap of Very Bad Things. One decent chuckle at the end with the eyes but I've seen that before in other movies/shows, it doesn't bode well.