As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trailers] Attractive singers trying to be actors

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    That shape of water trailer is both really damn weird and actually gets me interested in it. Pretty odd idea for a story.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    or is it abe

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Totally a stealth Hellboy prequel.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    del Toro apparently fell in love with Doug Jones as Abe Sapien.

Movie seems really neat. I worry I was shown too much of it. Then again, with something as strange as that (coming from Hollywood) maybe their idea is to throw a bunch of stuff out there to try and gather a real audience.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »

Don't tease me like this. You're making me feel things like hope. Hope for a Lobster Johnson appearance.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    xre8VzJh.png

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Deans wrote: »

Don't tease me like this. You're making me feel things like hope. Hope for a Lobster Johnson appearance.

Hellboy's movie rights are at Columbia (Sony). The Shape of Water is from Fox Searchlight.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    xre8VzJh.png

Now that's a fucking poster

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Boo 2! A Madea Halloween

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ivKOvIe88I

Who keeps green lighting these?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Executives who like making money?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    xre8VzJh.png

Now that's a fucking poster

Got me interested.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

I read somewhere that the Madea movies bring in a reliable return of good not great every time, so the only concern is making sure that they don't overspend based on those numbers

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    xre8VzJh.png

Reminds me of Modesty Blaise. When that's getting a reboot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeSR7fE3tZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H01na_Xe7g

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

I read somewhere that the Madea movies bring in a reliable return of good not great every time, so the only concern is making sure that they don't overspend based on those numbers

See also: Sandler, Adam.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

I'm pretty sure a big part of this is he's basically a go-to for the US black community so he's developed a built-in secure audience.

Kinda like the way those evangelical christian movies work financially, but more so.

shryke on
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

I'm pretty sure a big part of this is he's basically a go-to for the US black community so he's developed a built-in secure audience.

Kinda like the way those evangelical christian movies work financially, but more so.

Basically, they're the modern variant of the "race films" of the mid-20th century - films targeted at minority viewers, with predominantly minority casts, made because the mainstream film industry is underserving them.

And yes, that's a fucking indictment of Hollywood on race (see also: Disney struggling to cast Aladin.)

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    Boo 2! A Madea Halloween

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ivKOvIe88I

Who keeps green lighting these?

I thought Boo! made a ton of money and was more critically well received that most Madea vehicles?

I like to ART
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular

Is the show less rapey than the book?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Basically, they're the modern variant of the "race films" of the mid-20th century - films targeted at minority viewers, with predominantly minority casts, made because the mainstream film industry is underserving them.

And yes, that's a fucking indictment of Hollywood on race (see also: Disney struggling to cast Aladin.)

I mean, they announced a cast like a day after that rumor. Someone was lying about the casting thing.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I mean, they announced a cast like a day after that rumor. Someone was lying about the casting thing.

Why? Disney announcing the cast right after that came out is hardly incongruous - it comes across as a face-saving measure.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017

Why? Disney announcing the cast right after that came out is hardly incongruous - it comes across as a face-saving measure.

It came across as trying to stir up controversy to me. When the announcement came out, Disney already knew their leading cast.

I wonder if we get Ben Kingsley as Jafar

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Here's the trailer for the new Saw movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPP6aIw1vgY

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Here's the trailer for the new Saw movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPP6aIw1vgY

See it lost me pretty early on and I did like the first 3 films. But I just don't buy it when a woman running through a park turns and looks at what another group of people is looking at which turns out to be someone hanging from a tree, and screams like she's just seen Jason coming for her. No one would react that way, she looks in fear of her own life. It broke the immersion. And so I can no longer support this project as it clearly is not for me.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Options

It came across as trying to stir up controversy to me. When the announcement came out, Disney already knew their leading cast.

I wonder if we get Ben Kingsley as Jafar

And? If Disney was really struggling with finding minority actors, that's a controversy worth stirring up, even if they had finally made a decision.

• Options
    You would be right. I guess I think we just dont have enough transparency to know anything.

• Options
    You would be right. I guess I think we just dont have enough transparency to know anything.

When it comes to race and Hollywood, they've long since lost the benefit of the doubt. There's nothing in the accusations that stands out as unlikely, let alone blatantly false.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That could be good, it looks interesting, but John Wick has set such a high bar for me and action films as of late.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    That could be good, it looks interesting, but John Wick has set such a high bar for me and action films as of late.

I like that movies are getting more innovative and dynamic with their action sequences, but it's a long way up to the king.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options

I like that movies are getting more innovative and dynamic with their action sequences, but it's a long way up to the king.

What I appreciate about movies trying to get more wicked as it were is that wick didn't have one technique people could copy. It was an entirely different way of doing actions, more motions per scene, longer cuts, less jumpy. So if a movie is mimicing that, they are using more of their primary as the action deliverer and less covering up a less physically able actor with stunt work.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    See it lost me pretty early on and I did like the first 3 films. But I just don't buy it when a woman running through a park turns and looks at what another group of people is looking at which turns out to be someone hanging from a tree, and screams like she's just seen Jason coming for her. No one would react that way, she looks in fear of her own life. It broke the immersion. And so I can no longer support this project as it clearly is not for me.

I think the idea is that it's someone she knows.But yeah, it won't be a good movie.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    The Saw movies have always been a guilty displeasure for me. I can't deny my weakness for outlandish plot twists and intricate gambits and traps.

• Options
    MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    Starship Troopers looks like a video game I would totally get into, and a movie I totally would not.

I thought it was a video game the first couple of times I saw the trailer in the "recommended" part of YouTube. I only clicked on it recently and was like "whaa?".

And it looks like they are going full 40k with the Bugs as Tyranids. Rico and Co are now Space Marines. It's Mars, so I'm guessing there are going to be Titans?

Actually, they're going back to the book - the way the suits in that trailer move and work is basically how Heinlein described them.

Also, that trailer makes me sad that Roughnecks never got a proper ending.

Suits look better, but I always envisioned them as more like Space Marine armor from 40k, or E-Frames from Exo Squad. Even though the original movie was a guilty pleasure of mine that completely butchered the book, I could never bring myself to watch the sequels where they were actually (Armored) Mobile Infantry.

I may actually watch this one, but Casper Van Dien still sounds like hes dialing it in, this time possibly literally.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    The Saw movies have always been a guilty displeasure for me. I can't deny my weakness for outlandish plot twists and intricate gambits and traps.

same. Wonder how much of a reboot this is, since a fair few of the traps look very similar. The 5 people chained by the neck thing is lifted from the intro of V, for example...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Oh yuck apparently in the movie description of Proud Mary its a surrogate mother type movie. Because yep that's all women can do.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    To be fair, lots of "hard-ass gun-shoot-rawr with tough-jaded cool-man killing everyone with a blank look on their face"- affairs with male leads often involve some sort of young child or juvenile protegé that the grizzled protagonist reluctantly warms up to and becomes protective towards.

• Options
    True, but in the wake of Atomic Blonde being basically Long Kiss Goodnight without the family, I was hoping we'd get some hard ass women killers without family ties.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
  • Options
    True, but in the wake of Atomic Blonde being basically Long Kiss Goodnight without the family, I was hoping we'd get some hard ass women killers without family ties.

But it's Lady Shaft, and doesn't Shaft have some kind of surrogate father type stuff going on?

I like to ART