As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Magicians] Fem Bot Nick Fury

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Better fucking be. I’m salty about that as well.

At least I have 10 months to forget about it though.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Better fucking be. I’m salty about that as well.

At least I have 10 months to forget about it though.

So, that said in 2019?
    I had almost convinced myself it said 2018. I mean they've got 8 months left of this year, give us more Magicians.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    He is one of the the possibly 3 people who will do anything to help at this point, so it seems likely he'll show back up.

Everyone else has been neutralized.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Finally watched the finale. Thoughts

Dark side of Fillory! Castle Blackspire! So cool to see that stuff come into play.

The ending? Oof. That's hard to take.

The moment I first fell in love with the show (I watched season 1 first, then went back and read the books, then season 2 and now 3) was when the Beast hacked them up in their first confrontation with them. It was such an amazingly gutsy twist, like having Voldemort wreck Harry and they only survive because Hermione betrayed them.

But somehow that was easier to take than seeing the Library and Fogg smugly take magic from everyone and dole it out in rations. I can't even say they're *wrong*. It's a reasonable, sensible solution to the "is magic even a safe thing to have in the world?" problem. But somehow bureaucratic evil is even more grating than pure horror evil. I'm looking forward to having a true big bad next season.

In order of awesomeness to horribleness:

Elliot and Margo. Yes, you badasses, plotting to shoot the monster with the god-killer bullet was 100% the right thing to do.
    Fen. Long live the acting High King.
    Penny and Josh. You guys are at least there and game for whatever the main characters come up with.
    Fairy Queen. Fine, whatever, it doesn't absolve you of being a dick all those times early in the season.
    Quintin. Screw off, you knew the sacrifice wasn't the best plan, you just wanted to commit suicide by quest and get books written about you.
    Alice. Double screw off. You were better when you were evil.

• Options
    Disagree on Quintin:
    It WAS the right call- look what happened. Not to say shooting the fucker wasn't also the right call, but whatever Q's reasoning it was the right call.

And fuck the Library and Dean. Who are they to say who uses magic? The evil shit isn't even effected by this- we're light on bad magicians.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Oh, one other thing about the ending that I liked
    was Josh calling Margo Janet-- neat little nod to the books (and I'm a sucker for easter eggs like that).

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    From a few episodes back, I think that’s the last we see of
    penny in the underworld. The cupcakes were in the underworld, which is ruled by hades, and penny tasted them so I’m guessing he can’t leave. That’s basically the myth I can’t remeber the name of but involves.... I wanna say pomegranate?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Oh, one other thing about the ending that I liked
    was Josh calling Margo Janet-- neat little nod to the books (and I'm a sucker for easter eggs like that).
    Huh. In season 1 in one timeline she was called Janet, too. lol

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    From a few episodes back, I think that’s the last we see of
    penny in the underworld. The cupcakes were in the underworld, which is ruled by hades, and penny tasted them so I’m guessing he can’t leave. That’s basically the myth I can’t remeber the name of but involves.... I wanna say pomegranate?

Persephone. And she at least only has to stay in the Underworld some of the year (it's one of those myths explaining the changing of seasons, spring happens because she returns to earth).

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Btw I find it a bit weird that apart from Reynard the gods are from the Greek pantheon, or at least use those names and that symbolism.

Wouldn't have minded a more cosmopolitan, American Gods model.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Are EmbUmb Greek?

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Satyrs are a Greek mythological creation, I think.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    It seems really weird to me that the super-double-secret, triple-safe prison at the end of the world isn't Traveler-proof.

Regarding Fogg, I'm guessing either the Library had him over a barrel or he was convinced the Library was going to win and so tried to protect the gang and his/Brakebills' future by buying in with what he believed would be the winning team.

Also it's really fucked up that Q's dad is probably dead and he has no idea and wasn't there for the end because he was off being Brian somewhere.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    It's not a for sure thing he is. I guess that's an upside to this shit:
    Magic isn't back, it's rationed out. I assume they didn't throw some out for cancer.

At least, that's how it was presented.

• Options
    Are EmbUmb Greek?

No that's right those aren't obviously Greek either, except for looking like satyrs. As I recall it, in the books they are more actual rams which fits with them being the Aslan-analogue in totally-not-Narnia.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Damn that was a good season. Just...damn.

• Options
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Are EmbUmb Greek?

No that's right those aren't obviously Greek either, except for looking like satyrs. As I recall it, in the books they are more actual rams which fits with them being the Aslan-analogue in totally-not-Narnia.

Yeah, book Ember and Umber are literal giant rams. I'm failry certain the books had more references to non-Greek gods as well but I can't think of any actual examples.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Can't wait to see the Library get their
    comeuppance.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Holy butts.
    I can't believe they ended the season with everything in such a bad place. That's so god damn cruel. Great season though. Went from a show that I started watching because I needed something new and everyone was like "it's fun but dumb" and it's one of my favorite shows now.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Holy butts.
    I can't believe they ended the season with everything in such a bad place. That's so god damn cruel. Great season though. Went from a show that I started watching because I needed something new and everyone was like "it's fun but dumb" and it's one of my favorite shows now.

I wasn't entirely caught off guard.
    So far, this show is 3 for 3 on oh we're in the shit cliffhanger finales.

• Options
    This is your monthly screw the Library for what they did post.

Still can’t believe the next season is so far away.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Screw Alice, too!

Screw that
    bullet for half assing it, too. It was supposed to KILL a GOD, why is this thing still kicking?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Screw Alice, too!

Screw that
    bullet for half assing it, too. It was supposed to KILL a GOD, why is this thing still kicking?
    Yea I've gotta say the bullet thing seemed pretty stupid. I hope there's some sort of explanation of why it didn't do the one thing it was supposed to do.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Screw Alice, too!

Screw that
    Yea I've gotta say the bullet thing seemed pretty stupid. I hope there's some sort of explanation of why it didn't do the one thing it was supposed to do.
    Weren't they building up the idea that there thing was more powerful than a God? I figure that's how they'll have wave it away.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Screw Alice, too!

Screw that
    Weren't they building up the idea that there thing was more powerful than a God? I figure that's how they'll have wave it away.
    I also thought it exploited the body hopper loophole - bullet only kills the host.

• Options
    Screw Alice, too!

Screw that
    Whether or not it's more powerful is immaterial (and pretty vague -- some gods appear to be a lot more powerful than others and there's even a strict hierarchy of regular vs. elder gods). The 'monster in the castle at the end of the world' was explicitly not a god itself; it was some being created by the gods which they then decided they didn't like.

The god-killer bullet was enchanted to kill gods. If the target is not a god and is not susceptible to death from standard bullets then it makes sense it wouldn't die. Silver bullets kill werewolves by dint of being silver. I wouldn't expect a vampire to die if I shot one with one 'cause it's not a werewolf, it's a vampire.

• Options
    Screw Alice, too!

Screw that
    Whether or not it's more powerful is immaterial (and pretty vague -- some gods appear to be a lot more powerful than others and there's even a strict hierarchy of regular vs. elder gods). The 'monster in the castle at the end of the world' was explicitly not a god itself; it was some being created by the gods which they then decided they didn't like.

The god-killer bullet was enchanted to kill gods. If the target is not a god and is not susceptible to death from standard bullets then it makes sense it wouldn't die. Silver bullets kill werewolves by dint of being silver. I wouldn't expect a vampire to die if I shot one with one 'cause it's not a werewolf, it's a vampire.
    Ahh. Well then... why did they even bring it? Hadn't they already known what it was at that point? If it were that simple why was it never suggested that the bullet wouldn't work here?

• Options
    Screw Alice, too!

Screw that

Ahh. Well then... why did they even bring it? Hadn't they already known what it was at that point? If it were that simple why was it never suggested that the bullet wouldn't work here?
    I seem to recall someone saying it was a dumb idea. They didn't spell it out but I got the impression that outside of Elliot and Margo who had decided to give it a shot they didn't expect it to work. Presumably their reasoning was, "Well, if it can kill a god maybe it can kill the monster too and if not then, hey, we're only as screwed as we would be without trying."

Pretty damn sloppy on the part of the Library, though, to not make sure the thing was either dead or contained once they took over, though.

• Options
    Screw Alice, too!

Screw that

I seem to recall someone saying it was a dumb idea. They didn't spell it out but I got the impression that outside of Elliot and Margo who had decided to give it a shot they didn't expect it to work. Presumably their reasoning was, "Well, if it can kill a god maybe it can kill the monster too and if not then, hey, we're only as screwed as we would be without trying."

Pretty damn sloppy on the part of the Library, though, to not make sure the thing was either dead or contained once they took over, though.
    I can see that. There was a lot of dumb sloppiness going on there. You'd just think at least one of them even after it was shot would have investigated further since they had no reason to believe it would 100% work.

• Options
    That werewolf vs vampire argument is actually pretty good. Damnit.

But good point of them continuing to be shit at monitoring the horribly dangerous situations going on.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

If you donate to this and tweet the receipt, the showrunners will give you your own discipline and specialty.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Hi thread!

I just discovered this show a little while ago and just finished binging the first three seasons. Amagawd, this show is amazing and clever and has actual character development with lasting consequences, and people change and there is really no lasting status quo, and it makes me so happy.

And sometimes it ties up loose ends without a flashy bow but by making you think about it, like at the end of the second to last episode,
    when we basically find out that Quentin is probably his own grandfather... I mean they did travel back in time and all, and he named his son after his father.

That was just one of the many awesome holy shit, sit back and think about the immensity of it all moments for me when watching this damn show. Really good stuff. Need moar!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Except (unless I am remembering wrong) all that stuff was undone, it's just a memory now.

But yeah, good show.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Except (unless I am remembering wrong) all that stuff was undone, it's just a memory now.

But yeah, good show.

I wouldn't necessarily agree.
    its one of those time travel paradox things. If stopping Quentin from going into the clock back in time erases the past, then his letter never gets delivered, letting Julia know to stop him going to the past and aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Lorek on
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »

But yeah, good show.

I wouldn't necessarily agree.
    its one of those time travel paradox things. If stopping Quentin from going into the clock back in time erases the past, then his letter never gets delivered, letting Julia know to stop him going to the past and aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's *handwaves* magic!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    This popped up on my feed again.

https://youtu.be/Z0mfBt3mhtc

And once again, screw the library. Still no word on a release date but they are currently in production.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I got season 3 on Blu-ray because Netflix is taking forever to show it.

It is funny how Alice's
    father immediately trusts her and helped her out with the lamprey.

Also, the first key.
    That was a gruesome end for the priest.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Because of her
    being a (ex)niffin?
    I'm forgetting why he would distrust her.

• Options
    Because of her
    being a (ex)niffin?
    I'm forgetting why he would distrust her.

Well he just believes her right off the bat.

• Options
    You do get the impression Alice's family gets into some crazy stuff.