As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Magicians] Fem Bot Nick Fury

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Only thing bugging me about the episode is I'm still annoyed at the whole penny thing

Yeah, like what the hell? Did the writers forget about him? Sure looks like it.

Nah, he ate the Underworld cupcake. He's gone for good.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Even if he is (that be some bullshit) all the characters in the show shouldn't be accepting that.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Even if he is (that be some bullshit) all the characters in the show shouldn't be accepting that.

They dumped him for alternate universe Penny. Also, to make things more awkward, this one is into Julia.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    They shouldn't be accepting that! Well, Julia can do what she wants, but otherwise!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    They for real dont have a way to rescue real Penny. Maybe later but for now OG Penny is dead. His body is dead. He went to the underworld. He ate the food.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    They have magic. They can do anything (soon as they get it back). They aren't even mentioning him now, though. Especially Kady, though she gets short shrift too a lot. Why the hell is not helping (or not for reasons) Alice?

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    They have magic. They can do anything (soon as they get it back). They aren't even mentioning him now, though. Especially Kady, though she gets short shrift too a lot. Why the hell is not helping (or not for reasons) Alice?

There are some things magic cant fix.

No one is helping Alice because she betrayed them. They also have other things to deal with. Kady may well be making a plan to get OG penny out. After all she did do the thing last episode

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Magic can fix anything, except what they decide it can't. Alice burned up and look at her! They also rationed out some for fucking magic cancer so really the possibilities are endless here.

I meant that more as why haven't we seen him since Alice has been in the same location. Yeah, they are busy/have reasons to ignore her. But the viewers should be reminded of him if nothing else.

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Question
    Do we know what that animal was in Josh's bed? I don't want to think it was Kady's puppy, but this is the show that exploded a cat as an alarm.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    So far nobody has had any time to address the Penny situation. Now that they've got their identities back and repaid the debts incurred in doing so they only have the looming threat of Dark Elliot to worry about, so maybe somebody will think about Penny. If they're able to bring original recipe Penny back at all I think it would probably be as a side-effect of taking the reins of power away from the Library. He's in the Library Afterlife Annex or whatever, after all. If anyone has a way to come and go from there it'd be the Library.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Magic can fix anything, except what they decide it can't. Alice burned up and look at her! They also rationed out some for fucking magic cancer so really the possibilities are endless here.

I meant that more as why haven't we seen him since Alice has been in the same location. Yeah, they are busy/have reasons to ignore her. But the viewers should be reminded of him if nothing else.

Alice is in the Library. Penny is in the afterlife. They are not in the same location.

Just about every time new Penny talks he reminds people that he is not OG.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

Alice is in the Library. Penny is in the afterlife. They are not in the same location.

Just about every time new Penny talks he reminds people that he is not OG.

If I had to idly speculate I would guess that at some point Julia and him are going to go all head over heels for each other.

And after that Kady is going to perform some ritual that swaps Penny Cola Classic for New Penny and it's going to be something.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Yeah. A Penny swap would setup some drama.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    I’d be surprised if that happens anytime soon. That’s the kind of thing writers seed in with the idea that maybe they cone back to it in a few years or maybe never.

But the intention was to leave him down there as “permanently” as much as anything can be permanent on a show with magic and time travel.

• Options
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    I’d be surprised if that happens anytime soon. That’s the kind of thing writers seed in with the idea that maybe they cone back to it in a few years or maybe never.

But the intention was to leave him down there as “permanently” as much as anything can be permanent on a show with magic and time travel.

I dunno. The swap that we already got just sort of happened out of left field. They'd introduced the idea of crossing timelines but had already used it in other ways so it's not like it was Penny-specific. And the 'we need to rescue Penny' plot line certainly seemed like it was going to end with, in fact, rescuing Penny right up until it didn't.

The Penny plotline actually makes me wonder whether all the stuff about rescuing Elliot while not-Elliot assures them it's impossible will also be a fake-out where real-Elliot ends up dead and we have Alternate Universe Elliot or Elliot's soul in Todd's body or something.

• Options
    Elliott is in limbo somewhere.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Elliott is in limbo somewhere.
    Maybe. Or it's some other Elliot or Elliot-alike or the Monster's idea of Elliot or it's a prison inside the Monster's mind which will collapse and kill Elliot if it dies. Who knows.

My point is, showing us Elliot with the implication that he's save-able is very similar to what they did with showing us Penny trying to find a way out of the Library Afterlife Annex while the gang pursued plans to rescue him. I don't think they'll pull the same bait-and-switch sort of thing again but you never know.

They also just introduced an almanac for other universes so who knows how that might play into the rescue/replacement of Elliot and Penny.

• Options
    Current ep. discussion
    This show keeps hitting on all cylinders. There was so much great stuff in this episode, not the least of which the scenes between Quentin and Alice.

But ultimately, someone in that writers room was very proud of themselves for "Brace yourselves, it's all dicks and daddy issues from here on out."

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Amazing callback to a great episode from last year. I never thought they would revisit it but they did.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Penny
    looks like next episode brings back OG Penny into the mix

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Amazing callback to a great episode from last year. I never thought they would revisit it but they did.

I'm glad they did. That was probably my favorite episode of season 3.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Refresh my memory, what happened last year?

• Options

I'll throw it in spoiler tags, just in case. This covers S3E05.
    Quentin and Eliot went 50 years into the past to recover one of the keys, but because of the nature of the key/quest, it took them that long to find it. A few years in, they met a fillorian girl who sold peaches and plums, and Quentin started a family with her and had a son-- she left/died/??? and Quentin and Eliot raised the kid. At the end of the episode the two of them were eating from a gift basket for the coronation, and they remembered the 50 years their alternate selves lived. Q's relationship with Eliot became that much deeper, and you see a bit of that intimacy later in the season. So peaches and plums is kind of a code that wouldn't make sense to anyone but them.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »

Quentin and Eliot went 50 years into the past to recover one of the keys, but because of the nature of the key/quest, it took them that long to find it. A few years in, they met a fillorian girl who sold peaches and plums, and Quentin started a family with her and had a son-- she left/died/??? and Quentin and Eliot raised the kid. At the end of the episode the two of them were eating from a gift basket for the coronation, and they remembered the 50 years their alternate selves lived. Q's relationship with Eliot became that much deeper, and you see a bit of that intimacy later in the season. So peaches and plums is kind of a code that wouldn't make sense to anyone but them.

Spoiler, I guess cause I don’t want to accidentally reveal current season stuff?
    there’s also a call back to the emotion-drunk threesome, which Eliot remembers clearly, and feels remorse over, indicating he was maybe more lucid in that moment then previously thought...

And then there’s the Alice/Quentin stuff that could just be melodrama or possibly a real deal “gtfo Alice” moment for Q

All of which makes me think a current-timeline Eliot/Quentin ship may be in the cards

• Options

And now I’m going to rewatch that one again.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Man, I'll just say that this show continues to be one of my favorite shows currently on television.

Each episode is just so strong.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Man, I'll just say that this show continues to be one of my favorite shows currently on television.

Also, I didn't notice if anyone mentioned it already, but it's already been renewed for a fifth season, so weee, never stop please.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Spoiler, I guess cause I don’t want to accidentally reveal current season stuff?
    there’s also a call back to the emotion-drunk threesome, which Eliot remembers clearly, and feels remorse over, indicating he was maybe more lucid in that moment then previously thought...

And then there’s the Alice/Quentin stuff that could just be melodrama or possibly a real deal “gtfo Alice” moment for Q

All of which makes me think a current-timeline Eliot/Quentin ship may be in the cards

I’m kinda way more here for the boldest than I thought I would be, but that episode definitely makes it feel earned.

Also this latest episode made me realize something. When did SyFy stop censoring out the word “fuck”?

LostNinja on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Since at least before Magicians season 1

This show provided one of my now-favorite words

“Befucked”

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

I’m kinda way more here for the boldest than I thought I would be, but that episode definitely makes it feel earned.

Also this latest episode made me realize something. When did SyFy stop censoring out the word “fuck”?

I think last year. It was getting odd on demand there was no censoring but on live it was censored. I think somebody finally got through to them that this was stupid and they are not a network tv so don't need to censor things any more than HBO does.

• Options
    Oh I never watch live- seasons 1&2 were streamed and I now watch a day later on demand since last season

• Options
    Honestly this would be a great show to get some wang on tv

• Options
    I'm just gonna say it, now that we've left the books behind outside of some cameo characters and such, it's gotten better. Not that it was bad before, but it's better now.

That said, the appearance in the preview for next week has yet another book cameo:
    Stoppard. After we've already seen Lionel and the bird earlier in the season. I'm getting pretty hype at the possibility we get some sort of version of the heist plotline.

Now combine their general willingness to bring back book characters with something we saw last week:
    Margo's birthright box contained a talking lizard of the *dune*. There's something weird going on in Fillory that she may have to go out in the world to figure out, and she appears to be more or less on her own and will involve her growing into being a ruler the same way Elliot did. And now it's got a connection to the dunes. Are we going to see a TV version of the Foremost chapter?!!?!?!! *squee*

• Options
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    I'm just gonna say it, now that we've left the books behind outside of some cameo characters and such, it's gotten better. Not that it was bad before, but it's better now.

That said, the appearance in the preview for next week has yet another book cameo:
    Stoppard. After we've already seen Lionel and the bird earlier in the season. I'm getting pretty hype at the possibility we get some sort of version of the heist plotline.

Now combine their general willingness to bring back book characters with something we saw last week:
    Margo's birthright box contained a talking lizard of the *dune*. There's something weird going on in Fillory that she may have to go out in the world to figure out, and she appears to be more or less on her own and will involve her growing into being a ruler the same way Elliot did. And now it's got a connection to the dunes. Are we going to see a TV version of the Foremost chapter?!!?!?!! *squee*

I think that was confirmed at one of the Comic-Con panels they did for the show. Or that the director is working out a way to work it into the story without it being shoehorned.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I don't really know how to expound on it with any elegance, but as a totally straight dude, the Quentin/Elliot storyline brought over and referenced last night from "A Life In The Day" was one of the most lovely things I've seen on broadcast TV in a long, long time.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    To go with the last episode, I am not crying just cutting onions over here...

God that was good TV.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Yea. It was. I cried too

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »

Also, I didn't notice if anyone mentioned it already, but it's already been renewed for a fifth season, so weee, never stop please.

Oh that's neat, for some reason I thought it was one of the many, many shows that were ending this season

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think Alice is now:
    wandering around like Caine from Kung Fu. Going where she is needed and then leaving after her work there is done.

Also I am not too thrilled that they just swept OG Penny off to the side. I have a different path to go now. You're the one needed in timeline 40. And BTW, tell Kady sorry but I'm never going back. See ya!

• Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I think Alice is now:
    wandering around like Caine from Kung Fu. Going where she is needed and then leaving after her work there is done.

Also I am not too thrilled that they just swept OG Penny off to the side. I have a different path to go now. You're the one needed in timeline 40. And BTW, tell Kady sorry but I'm never going back. See ya!

Uh
    how does that jibe with Alice fucking up someone else’s (maybe many someone’s) lives again with magic?