As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox Live] KoToR, Ninja Gaiden Black, Crimson Skies and more coming to Xbox Original BC

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i honestly have no ideas, it wasn't a part of the store i ever paid much attention to. others might have some recommendations though.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    the 360 indie game store section will close at midnight PDT. last chance to see what treasure may be buried there.

Awww, sad to see it go. There were a few gems in there, like Breath of Death and Cthulu Saves the World by PA grown devs Zeboyd. There was the cringey Comedy Night which was funny for the wrong reasons. The old Dishwasher Samurai games, DLC Quest, Escape Goat and those weird avatar games... weird but good

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Is the Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition just two additional lines of green lettering that says Project Scorpio placed on the console and the controller?

The system itself has some addition little detailing, nothing major, and it comes with the vertical stand. That's basically it.

That and the limited edition controller, yes.

As it happens, I don't think they're being sold anymore. The second run of pre-orders was for the normal SKU, and those ran out at some retailers (like Amazon.com). Unless Microsoft is actually holding onto a whole warehouse of them (which frankly I can't think of why--they might as well just make the normal SKU and save however many cents on the stand/detailing per unit) I don't think you'll see any more Project Scorpio edition consoles that don't come from resellers.

Personally I don't even think it looks much better than the basic SKU (which I do actually think is the nicest looking major console on the market right now)--I just want it for reasons of posterity (on top of really wanting to play enhanced versions of FFXV, For Honor, Forza 7, and various other games beginning in 'F'). Same reason I still have my Day One Edition controller.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Mount your Friends is the best game on the XBLIG

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Iron Wings - the initial load felt a big long, but it revealed to me that you can add skins to your WW 2 era airplanes?

Main menu reminds me of one of the Medal of Honors (old time war room).

The options list are pretty robust. It defaulted to the proper way to fly (inverted-Y). Controls are pretty standard flight. This game uses a throttle setting, shoulder button roll. Zoom to lock onto targets. Some kind of radio scanner minigame. Voice acting is okay.

It is focused on a Tuskegee airman*, and uses the tried and true interview the veteran/flashback narrative. (You can skip the cutscenes). Opening/tutorial mission has the char doing an air show to raise money in NYC. A bit of historical tidbits in there too.

Only annoying thing at this point is that Tutorial mission has an annoying auto-cut if you fly too low to the ground. I recon the later levels will just crash into the ground.

edit: missions have optional objectives in them that you can manually trigger.

edit2: in-flight combat is similar to the dog fight system in Ace Combat: AH? I don't know if it's necessary to do to get kills as I"m still working through tutorial missions, but basically you fly up behind the enemy to engage and such.

edit3: you have the ability to upgrade weapons, and the game has several planes per character) to choose from (you unlock them by earning cash from missions). Also can buy colors. They spelled "lightning" as "lightening" though.

edit4: Jack can fly the P38, P51, C.202, ME262, Spitfire, and P80.

Amelia has her own set of planes as she can do bombing stuff. They are the F4U, DH98, C47, c.200, P61, CR42, and JU-87.

---

edit5: Gotta ding it, the Arcade mode keeps crashing on me, IDK why.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    the 360 indie game store section will close at midnight PDT. last chance to see what treasure may be buried there.

Awww, sad to see it go. There were a few gems in there, like Breath of Death and Cthulu Saves the World by PA grown devs Zeboyd. There was the cringey Comedy Night which was funny for the wrong reasons. The old Dishwasher Samurai games, DLC Quest, Escape Goat and those weird avatar games... weird but good

These are all good, also the PA game episodes 3 and 4 were XBLIG.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    "You cant buy this at the time because your language is set to English"

... What.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Iron Wings note post number 2.

There's a sort of weird dance around some historical components regarding WW2, while the game does feature some less known things too. The Nazis are referred to as the fascists, and then they also mention the Germans: because not all members of the German forces were Nazis. While they retain that level of nuance, they don't go as far as addressing complicity... but still. Of course there is at least one "work camp" where horrible things happen, but the game isn't really fighting Nazi's so much as fighting Axis/Germany.

A fair bit of focus on tech. Magnetrons and chaff play a role.

Key thing to note re gameplay though is the game uses a combat system really similar to Ace Combat: AH. (Infinite ammo and bombs though). Machine guns too. You can switch between Jack and Amelia at any time. Jack has the tech, Amelia has bombs. I want to say that they both use the same type of machine gun but I think Jack has access to the different types but Amelia has just the one (which works well). You line up and engage enemies in what's called the "Tail Chase" and then you just shoot them. Generally, the AI when told to attack a target does a good job of taking it out. Which is good because you need to split up and take out multiple targets for a lot of timed objectives. Ground combat is strafing runs, but you can start them at any angle and you don't ride a rail like in Ace Combat: AH. It locks your vector and then you can slightly adjust to hit targets along the path once you engage.

It also harkens back to earlier Ace Combat games where you have optional objectives to trigger and do before advancing the primary mission chain some. So you complete an objective, you can choose choose to launch into a side mission by tuning into one of the radio distress beacons (they don't say what each one is, unfortunately but they are different), then advance. Or skip the sides. I haven't done that though.

All said, it's pretty neat. It's not AAA quality, but enjoyable.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited October 2017

... What.

sBdohNml.jpg

Sirialis on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Prohass on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I'm kinda curious about Bioshock The Collection if anyone on here has played that.

Do you download the whole thing called "The Collection" or do you just download each game individually?

I've heard some mentions of performance issues in Infinite especially, anyone experienced this? (Sounds like it could have been due to people playing a long time with no pauses too)

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Iron Wings also features one of the most obnoxious sections in a game that I've played this year. I do not understand how someone could have thought it was a good idea to 1) do the section and not explain the additional mechanics. 2) have it go for so long. 3) not have a goddamn checkpoint after each segment of the section. 4) make the things more visible.

edit: the section that comes after is equally annoying.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular

... What.

sBdohNml.jpg

Are you in a country where the default Xbox language is not English? It looks like the store is expecting a "correct" language-region combination, and English+Your Region isn't considered one for some reason.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Opty wrote: »

... What.

sBdohNml.jpg

Are you in a country where the default Xbox language is not English? It looks like the store is expecting a "correct" language-region combination, and English+Your Region isn't considered one for some reason.

Yeah I am... This is probably a remnant of Microsoft making that incredibly stupid limitation that you could only pick the language from the country you were in (which is absurd and multi language countries could go fuck themselves apparently?) and when they eventually "fixed it" years later because of backlash, it seems this nonsensical message persisted.

The main reason I dont want the Xbox in my own language is that I'm tired of watching them not being able to translate a bunch of words correctly... They even misspelled the word "Achievement" no it is not the same as "Completions" as they translated it to, also getting the odd german and finnish words for some reason even though I have nothing to do with either country.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Opty wrote: »

... What.

sBdohNml.jpg

Yeah I am... This is probably a remnant of Microsoft making that incredibly stupid limitation that you could only pick the language from the country you were in (which is absurd and multi language countries could go fuck themselves apparently?) and when they eventually "fixed it" years later because of backlash, it seems this nonsensical message persisted.

i wonder how that even worked in the US since they technically have no official/state language. would think someone might have made an issue of it if they considered English to be the de-facto over there and were locking people out of the store as a result.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    "Get Live Gold" to get this game at 50% off

I get Live Gold 1 month and the game is still being sold for full price... I cant even turn off the autopayment bullshit on Live Gold which was the reason I couldnt stand having my CC on file with Microsoft years ago, I cant remove it because they want to keep taking money for several other months which I dont want to.

I guess I'll see if Xbox.com feel like working, otherwise calling my bank if I have to, in any case back to using cards forever because Microsoft cant be trusted with my CC.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Where are you located and which game are you referring to.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Denmark, Bioshock Collection.

I even had to revert back to my native language because their system was too dumb to do it while having English as language. (But region was still Denmark.)

Edit: Turned off their autorenewal on their home site, still ticks me off that I can do ANYTHING with membership on the Xbox One itself... Except turning autorenewal off.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Denmark, Bioshock Collection.

I even had to revert back to my native language because their system was too dumb to do it while having English as language. (But region was still Denmark.)

Try accessing it via their website. Make sure to log in.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/store/p/BioShock-The-Collection/C2HCDG7L1469

EDIT: I just checked to see if I could turn off auto-renew on my account via the website and the page basically exploded so I'm wondering if they're experiencing technical difficulties at the moment.

EDIT2: Got it to work: had to use Microsoft Edge instead of Chrome though.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    After getting security codes and stuff they would finally let me check price on the site itself, its the price with the discount listed on the Xbox site.

On the Xbox itself? Still says full price.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    After getting security codes and stuff they would finally let me check price on the site itself, its the price with the discount listed on the Xbox site.

On the Xbox itself? Full price.

Yeah, that's really weird. Are you able to purchase from the site?

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, I bought it just now.

I really like the Xbox One despite the problems I post, I even intend to buy an X.

Its just frustrating to deal with the more or less same issues I've dealt with 3 years ago on the X360 on the new console again, also a fair few new issues a little foresight could have prevented easily.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Booted up Bioshock 1 from the Collection, apparently they added a new "Museum" part that will let you walk around inside an ingame Museum that shows Irrationals early ideas and artwork, some of it which made it into the game, some were saved for the sequel etc.

Pretty cool addition to my nostalgia trip back to Rapture.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    tbf, the international trade laws and pricing schemes or whatever haven't changed much since then? IDK.

• Options
    Good thing it has nothing to do with either of those then.

• Options
    Good thing it has nothing to do with either of those then.

Okay.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    This reminded me that I needed to change my PSN email address. I logged in the immediate aftermath of the big security breach to change my password, but hadn't done anything since then.

I don't think I'm going to bother updating the street address though. I was surprised to see I have $7 left on my account--I must've bought a $10 PSN Funbucks card and not spent the balance.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Just realized Super Cloudbuilt was a Deal with Gold for the week! Played the original Cloudbuilt on PC and loved it.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Gave Path of Exile a go this evening. I remember a lot of "This is the game Diablo III should've been! It's so much better!" claims when it first hit PC, and I have to disagree with those. Not digging that game at all. It does seem like it has more class ability options, but it just isnt interesting or exciting at all =/

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Gave Path of Exile a go this evening. I remember a lot of "This is the game Diablo III should've been! It's so much better!" claims when it first hit PC, and I have to disagree with those. Not digging that game at all. It does seem like it has more class ability options, but it just isnt interesting or exciting at all =/

i gave it a quick try on the PC a while back and i think it really needs to be played with a group for it to shine. playing solo it did seem to lack a certain something.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I mean watching paint dry while reading accounting laws and ethics is more fun then diablo 3 . That trash heap is still one of my biggest disappointments. A dull uninteresting story and gameplay mechanics that are about as deep as a puddle. I really like path of exile though , gem links and planning skill tree paths .

• Options
    Craziness!

Diablo III is an immensely enjoyable game.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Craziness!

If you never played any other dungeon crawler sure but at least I found it so basic bare bones fucking simple that I finished it once and just kinda left it there for years . Also didn’t like that the characters don’t really get build so much as they get loadouts. Made everything feel samey and bland.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I've played lots of dungeon crawlers and I love Diablo 3

I also found Path of Exile boring and unfun

So, well, ya know, that's just like your opinion, man

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Craziness!

If you never played any other dungeon crawler sure but at least I found it so basic bare bones fucking simple that I finished it once and just kinda left it there for years . Also didn’t like that the characters don’t really get build so much as they get loadouts. Made everything feel samey and bland.

Did you give up before or after they completely rebuilt the game and tore down the Auction House though? If you gave up before, you're complaining about a version that the devs didn't end up liking either...

• Options
    Nope , played it after . Also guys I’m not trying to convince you to hate the game , I’m just talking and explaining how much I hate it .

• Options
    I usually come away from most dungeon crawlers a little disappointed because even if they're good, they're not as good as Diablo. Really hoping for a Diablo IV announcement in the near future!

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Nope , played it after . Also guys I’m not trying to convince you to hate the game , I’m just talking and explaining how much I hate it .
    I absolutely hated the game when it came out on beta. Bought it last year when it was on sale for I think $20 so I could mindlessly hack-n-slash with a few friends. I've had fun with it, but it's not the goliath that people have made it out to be. To each their own, me says.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Path of Exile just is not as fast as Diablo, straight-up, unless you're running a top-tier build. It's a more methodical game.
    Now I will say, the accuracy system is fucking stupid, and something needs to be done about it, because many melee attack builds immediately rush over to the left side of the tree and grab Iron Grip no matter what (You can no longer miss, but you can no longer crit either) so you don't have to worry about it. It definitely hurts the most in the beginning, with shitty gear and no accuracy skills. Also, boots and gear with +% Increased Movement Speed is a godsend.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Craziness!

I mean you're wrong but ok

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
This discussion has been closed.