As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox Live] KoToR, Ninja Gaiden Black, Crimson Skies and more coming to Xbox Original BC

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    On phone so link will have to wait but next months GwG have been revealed. Slime Rancher and Trials Fusion on the Xboxe side. Bayonetta and a Red Faction* game on 360.

*Armageddon I think.

Please god let that be the one with the hammer.

I don't want to PLAY it. I just want to destroy everything on the planet with a giant hammer.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    On phone so link will have to wait but next months GwG have been revealed. Slime Rancher and Trials Fusion on the Xboxe side. Bayonetta and a Red Faction* game on 360.

*Armageddon I think.

I don't want to PLAY it. I just want to destroy everything on the planet with a giant hammer.

I don't think it is I'm afraid. I'm not overly familiar with the series though.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    That aside, yeah, if there's an American company that gets the benefit of the doubt from the government, it's probably Apple. And if there's a tech company that doesn't, it may be Microsoft at this point.
    You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but why do you think this is the case?

It's completely unscientific and based entirely on my knowledge of Microsoft's American reputation before I arrived in the United States. I wasn't living in the country at the time, but I remember reading about the extensive antitrust hearings of United States v. Microsoft in the papers (and on television). Thomas Jackson (who was the case judge), who advocated the breakup, used words like "duplicitous" and "corrupt", and compared Bill Gates to "a drug trafficker" in terms of his behavior, and he made the recommendation to break-up the company. I'm not sure about the recommended break-up, but at least to me, it seemed like the interested American public generally agreed with his ruling--but this was also around the same time where at least one American book had been translated to Chinese explaining how Microsoft had to be stopped and detailing an plan to, if necessary, assassinate Bill Gates. The falsifying of taped video and apparent lies (or at least misleading statements) from Microsoft in at least some cases probably didn't win them any favors.

Of course that didn't happen. Jackson was overturned by an appellate court, apparently because he "ran his mouth"--giving interviews that broke embargo and other very incorrect behavior as he was reviewing the case, and it was suggested by some he should have "recuse" himself. As you might imagine, that second half didn't get nearly the same coverage where I was (I don't think it did in the US either). It was all bunk where I was living anyway, before I went to Japan I lived in a country where there were probably 12 million computers and maybe 40 of them were Macs. At the time, Microsoft didn't seem very imposing next to something like the Evergreen Corporation or our own massive mega-corporations.

Meanwhile, Apple is...the most valuable corporation in the world (and by extension, the United States)? Or very close to it? Publicly the government seems to have treated it with a great deal of deference since I came to the United States (completely different than in Taiwan, where it's a massive customer and a rather small producer, almost to the point of being a novelty). I really can't imagine a judge calling him a "drug trafficker" :lol: .

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    Haha, my cheapskate decision not to buy Bayonetta on Steam is vindicated!

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Huh, I guess I'll try Bayonetta now. dunno why I never bothered with it.

Also, yay @ Red Faction: Armageddon going up.

Perhaps now I can find people to knock out the 25 revives and 4 player infestation game achievements to complete it. <3

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So I'm slowly working through the tons of games I bought in that indie game sale and the summer sale:

The Fall was a pretty fun and solid oldschool adventure kind of game. None of the "puzzles" were super obtuse, didn't have to look up anything to beat it. I did have to look up some of the achievements though. Are they making a Part 2? It says this is Part 1, but I didn't see anything else for it. Maybe just didn't sell well enough.

I finally got all the achievements done in Heart & Slash, which is a solid little hack & slash (get it?) roguelite action game with random weapon and armor pickups. All except there's one for playing on Halloween, which is a real random achievement for this game. I would like to see DLC or something for this to add more areas, enemies, and bosses.

Also recently beat Dragon Bros which is a fun little sidescroller shootemup Contraish game. Really short, but difficult.

I started Jotun, but it just kinda throws you in there and I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to be doing.

Also started Saturday Morning RPG which is a silly love letter to the 80s with turn-based combat with action cues (like Super Mario RPG) for attacks and defending.

Also also started Momodora:Reverie something which is a sidescroller Metroidish style game, but it's kinda boring. Like the rooms don't really feel cohesive and there's not much direction. I feel like I've been wandering and haven't achieved much. I might abandon it.

Also also also started Exile's End. Another Metroidish game, but slower paced. Feels a bit like the old Flashback game. More deliberate. Seems cool so far.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    I've been focusing on finishing games up to get my completion percentage back to close to 90%. ... I am about to recover 80%. :P

Gigantic has been taking up most of my time. I wish there were more small titles with live on the Windows 10 Store. Been gaming more on my new Surface now that the battery life isn't as prohibitive.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I've got The Fall on my list for next month, I picked it up a few weeks back when it was on sale. Looking forward to it, glad to hear you enjoyed it @Forever Zefiro

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

*Armageddon I think.

Guerrilla is the one you are thinking of.

This is the one where they stuck you underground. You can destroy a lot of stuff and the give you a new toy that lets you rebuild things. Decent game but a step back from what RF:Guerrilla did so well.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    oh shit, i almost bought slime rancher on steam too a few months ago

excellent.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    So I'm slowly working through the tons of games I bought in that indie game sale and the summer sale:

The Fall was a pretty fun and solid oldschool adventure kind of game. None of the "puzzles" were super obtuse, didn't have to look up anything to beat it. I did have to look up some of the achievements though. Are they making a Part 2? It says this is Part 1, but I didn't see anything else for it. Maybe just didn't sell well enough.

I finally got all the achievements done in Heart & Slash, which is a solid little hack & slash (get it?) roguelite action game with random weapon and armor pickups. All except there's one for playing on Halloween, which is a real random achievement for this game. I would like to see DLC or something for this to add more areas, enemies, and bosses.

Also recently beat Dragon Bros which is a fun little sidescroller shootemup Contraish game. Really short, but difficult.

I started Jotun, but it just kinda throws you in there and I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to be doing.

Also started Saturday Morning RPG which is a silly love letter to the 80s with turn-based combat with action cues (like Super Mario RPG) for attacks and defending.

Also also started Momodora:Reverie something which is a sidescroller Metroidish style game, but it's kinda boring. Like the rooms don't really feel cohesive and there's not much direction. I feel like I've been wandering and haven't achieved much. I might abandon it.

Also also also started Exile's End. Another Metroidish game, but slower paced. Feels a bit like the old Flashback game. More deliberate. Seems cool so far.

I really liked Momodora. It's not entirely linear though so I could see how you feel like you've just been wandering. I ended up killing second the boss that people save for last, apparently. There are secret items that the bosses drop if you manage to kill them without getting hit, btw ;)

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Yeah so far I killed the caterpillar girl and then the giant demon lady twice, and yeah all flawless. Poison bow is almost OP it feels like.

And despite defeating those bosses, I just don't feel like I've accomplished much. The bells have Warp as an option, but I can't Warp yet. I'm not really discovering anything, there's no real payoff to the exploring to keep me going I guess. Oh, I'm at some white witch boss that shoots lightning. I'll probably give it some more time to see if it catches my interest.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ooh hey, Killing Floor 2 coming to XBone in August. Super fun horde mode technically zombie (I guess?) game. Got some really sweet weapons in there too. Like a sledgehammer that you can load with shotgun shells for an extra oomph, and a microwave gun that makes enemies swell up to comedic proportions.

I have it on PS4, but might double dip if the XBone version allows for user created maps like the PC version. The only complaints I have about the game are the lack of variety with boss monsters (there's only 2) and the CSGO style microtransactions. You'll periodically earn cosmetic loot crates, but you have to buy keycards to open them.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    Yeah so far I killed the caterpillar girl and then the giant demon lady twice, and yeah all flawless. Poison bow is almost OP it feels like.

And despite defeating those bosses, I just don't feel like I've accomplished much. The bells have Warp as an option, but I can't Warp yet. I'm not really discovering anything, there's no real payoff to the exploring to keep me going I guess. Oh, I'm at some white witch boss that shoots lightning. I'll probably give it some more time to see if it catches my interest.

The item that lets you use the bells to warp is optional. I think I ended up finding it at about 60% map completion? It adds new exploration abilities a bit later than other Metroidvanias, which is a shame.

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

*Armageddon I think.

Guerrilla is the one you are thinking of.

This is the one where they stuck you underground. You can destroy a lot of stuff and the give you a new toy that lets you rebuild things. Decent game but a step back from what RF:Guerrilla did so well.

Awww.... Dammit.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Saturday Morning RPG is on Xbox One? Might have to go for that...

On another note, finally took my Kinect and power cord in as suggested, and didn't even have to look at the latter -- Kinect wasn't working on their test Xbox One S, either, and they swapped it out. Looks like I'm back in business and possibly better than before!

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Newbie question on GwG, so please pardon my ignorance: if I "buy" an Xbone game while it's free, then decide to actually buy it permanently, can I do that? It's a pet peeve of mine with PSN, where you can't buy a PS+ game while you're subscribed, as it thinks you own it.

(I know that 360 games are "buy" and it's yours permanently, which is also much nicer than Sony's policy)

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Newbie question on GwG, so please pardon my ignorance: if I "buy" an Xbone game while it's free, then decide to actually buy it permanently, can I do that? It's a pet peeve of mine with PSN, where you can't buy a PS+ game while you're subscribed, as it thinks you own it.

(I know that 360 games are "buy" and it's yours permanently, which is also much nicer than Sony's policy)

Yes, you can buy it. The first button is generally labeled "Get" if you're subscribed. Then there's a button after that saying "or buy for $..."

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017

CORRECTION: I misunderstood your question and recant my previous statement.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I don't want to be a dick, @Le_Goat, but you're spreading misinformation there. That only applies to the 360 titles on the program. The XBO titles work in the exact same manner as the free games on PS+, meaning you lose access to them if your subscription lapses, but you get them back if you resub.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    I don't want to be a dick, Le_Goat, but you're spreading misinformation there. That only applies to the 360 titles on the program. The XBO titles work in the exact same manner as the free games on PS+, meaning you lose access to them if your subscription lapses, but you get them back if you resub.

You do realize that your phrasing means that you intended to be a dick, right? There was no need to accuse him of spreading misinformation, because the insinuation of that particular phrase suggests that his intent is to falsely portray the service when it's just as likely that Le_Goat doesn't know that the Xbox One games require an active sub to maintain access to.

Though technically, one would continue to own the license to title regardless.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I don't want to be a dick, @Le_Goat, but you're spreading misinformation there. That only applies to the 360 titles on the program. The XBO titles work in the exact same manner as the free games on PS+, meaning you lose access to them if your subscription lapses, but you get them back if you resub.
    Then I misunderstood the question and will correct my post. I generally make the assumption that anyone who owns an Xbox One will also have an Xbox Live Gold subscription, and if you had a subscription, would continue to have it. I've had an active subscription for almost 9 years, so I was unaware that the title ownership goes away when Gold is not renewed.

Post has now been redacted.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    eh, the whole GwG thing has a laundry list of caveats to keep track of, but XBO GwG ownership being sub-based was the biggest change to the system.

That said, 360 titles being permanent ownership due to the way it was originally structured is an incredible thing

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Bayonetta will probably bring in some merchandise money.

Because of all the broken controllers.

Some of the quicktime events feel like "Destroy this button in particular..."

Sirialis on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I don't want to be a dick, Le_Goat, but you're spreading misinformation there. That only applies to the 360 titles on the program. The XBO titles work in the exact same manner as the free games on PS+, meaning you lose access to them if your subscription lapses, but you get them back if you resub.

You do realize that your phrasing means that you intended to be a dick, right? There was no need to accuse him of spreading misinformation, because the insinuation of that particular phrase suggests that his intent is to falsely portray the service when it's just as likely that Le_Goat doesn't know that the Xbox One games require an active sub to maintain access to.

Though technically, one would continue to own the license to title regardless.

Yeah, I know I'm a dick. I never said I wasn't one, but rather that I didn't want to be one. But it's just who I am.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    oh man, bayonette and red faction? the boners know what i like

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Beat Mirror's Edge: Catalyst. I was shocked and a bit saddened that the basic "beating the game" achievement is considered rare. I found this one a considerable improvement to the first game in most respects, so the beatdown it took from reviews and the fact that most players clearly bailed on it early is just too bad. It's not perfect by any means and is that typical AAA gaming thing where they overspent on a niche game which ensures it won't get a sequel, but I liked a lot of the changes. Removing gunplay and making combat more about quick takedowns were much better ideas. Plus you're protected from gunfire during a perfect run which removes the luck aspect present in 1. And the main missions focused much more on exciting, action packed RUNS, leaving the puzzle climbs for optional fast travel unlocking missions for the most part.

My two biggest complaints: fuck off with this prequel comic stuff it keeps referring to. Mirror's Edge was never going to be a multimedia blockbuster franchise, they set it up to fail by wasting money on that stuff. And jumping from pipe to pipe is still finnicky. If you're rushing, Faith will sometimes slam into a pipe like it's a wall perpendicular to her direction of travel instead of grabbing on to it. This instantly kills you, usually.

Oh and they should have retained the song "Still Alive" (not the Portal one) as the series' theme. Nothing in the new music was interesting enough to replace it.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I like Warning Call quite a bit.

ME:Catalyst was my game of the year last year.

Must've spent 70 hours in that game.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Free Play Days this weekend, for Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/diablo-iii-reaper-of-souls-ultimate-evil-edition/c2r5r5p2df3c#pdpbundles
    Dunno about dates/times, probably until Monday night like usual.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Free Play Days this weekend, for Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/diablo-iii-reaper-of-souls-ultimate-evil-edition/c2r5r5p2df3c#pdpbundles

MS have been doing a lot of these lately. wonder if its just a summer thing or if its something we can expect to see on a regular basis now.

• Options
    That's the video game equivalent of handing out free crack. Sweet sweet demonic crack...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Note that I'm pretty confident it does not contain the recent Necromancer pack.

• Options
    Correct. Ultimate Evil Edition only has Diablo III + Reaper of Souls expansion. Still a great time, and if you play it and enjoy the game, the Necro expansion is only an additional $15. That sounds hefty for a new character class, but it also adds new enemies and gear to the game. Also the Necromancer is sweet as fuck. Second fave class behind the Wizard.

• Options
    I still need to buy the Necromancer expansion for PC--then again, I'm pretty sure I only got the RoS expansion a few months after it came out.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I've been wanting to try D3 for a while but having never played Diablo 1 or 2 I'm afraid I'd have no idea what was going on in terms of the world/lore/story.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    I've been wanting to try D3 for a while but having never played Diablo 1 or 2 I'm afraid I'd have no idea what was going on in terms of the world/lore/story.

There's pretty deepish lore to Diablo, but you can play Diablo III without having played the first two and still grasp what's going on. Some returning characters might be lost on you, as well as events referenced such as the destruction of The World Stone, but you'll find audio logs through out the game that help fill in the blanks.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Correct. Ultimate Evil Edition only has Diablo III + Reaper of Souls expansion. Still a great time, and if you play it and enjoy the game, the Necro expansion is only an additional $15. That sounds hefty for a new character class, but it also adds new enemies and gear to the game. Also the Necromancer is sweet as fuck. Second fave class behind the Wizard.
    The content added with the expansion of Necromancer is still free, as it was part of an update to D3. I did not buy the expansion and the new content areas are available to me. Essentially, that $15 is just for the Necromancer. I remembered reading that they wanted to ensure those with the Necromancer can still play with those that did not purchase the new class. For a short time, they are bundling all expansions with the core for $40. That's a pretty awesome deal if you still don't have D3.
    Continuing what Skull2185 said, you don't need to have played any of the previous game or have knowledge of the content. The story is pretty cool, but you can easily just glide by it if all you're concerned about is hack-n-slash demon slaying and loot galore.

If you really are concerned about the lore, there are tomes, scrolls, and tons of people to talk to that will pop up in the game that tell you basically everything. There are some things (like the Horadrim; note that the article contains spoilers) which may not be described in too much detail and kind of assume that you know about it enough to get what's going on. Overall, you should be fine. It's a damn fun game and the D3 story won't have to totally lost if you haven't played the predecessors.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    TIL: The Assassin's Creed: Pirates game that I've been pecking away at completion since 2013 released has actually been updated multiple times on other platforms, but never the windows version... which is still Version 1.0.0... The newest version is 2.9.1 (last updated June 2016), and the things that have annoyed me about this game have been long fixed. :hydra:

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Gwent (and its little minigame called Witcher 3) is pretty great.

Sirialis on
This discussion has been closed.