As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild] Bokoblin Genocide Simulator

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I saw the end credits. I don't feel I've beaten the game yet.. There's still some secrets I need to find, including a couple memories.

Spoilers, though:
    Remember when there was a big hub-ub about playing as Zelda and the thoughts that Link might be female? Now that the game's out and beaten... well.. I see why they made the decisions they did.

Zelda is one of the most badass women in gaming I've ever seen. She is NOT a damsel in distress. She's an asskicker who has been put down all her life, it seems. I just.. I really want to give her a hug and tell her things are going to be okay...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Gerudo dungeon spoiler,
    Genius alternate solution
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq4UqlgXoQo
    I remember spending all night searching for the 2nd metal ball, tucked away up a wall.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    This may be old knowledge, but I discovered something that blew my mind.

I really, really wanted to climb the mountain near Hateno, but I didn't have any real cold resist gear. I know you can cook resistance food or bring a torch or something, but I really wanted to take my time and explore it meticulously, and I didn't want to have to worry about running out/dousing my torch when I had to shoot a bat or something.

But then, as I was fighting a lynel, I noticed something odd.
    When I equipped a frost sword, I noticed my temperature gauge swung down. Does the same thing happen with fire swords? Yup. Does it protect you from high-level cold? Yup. Does it work even when you have the fire sword equipped but sheathed? Yup.

And that's how I spent an hour happily surviving in frostbite weather wearing very little. This game, man.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    I'm getting reaaaal close to the end. I've got 7 shrines left to find, which might take a little bit since I'm not using guides, and am otherwise ready to tackle Hyrule Castle. Not sure how I feel about it. I..just want more to play. I hope the story dlc adds something substantial and not just a couple of quests and shrines.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'm already considering playing again because I didn't take pics of the bosses. But then was I ever going to fill up the compendium anyway? Highly doubtful.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So I was trying to take a pic of a blue lizalfos for the compendium.. and accidentally hit the selfie button.. which for some reason caused him to notice me... but instead of attacking he just stood there in the background... staring... I actually thought the game was frozen until he eventually picked up a rock and threw it at me... and I have the (blurry) pic to prove it!

EjJePK3.jpg

It wasn't until later that I realized the rock had legs

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Those little walking rock monsters,
    You can actually pick them up and throw them yourself! They have such a slow attack animation that it's easy to run up and grab them. Doesn't work on ice variants though, they'll freeze you on contact.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    You can actually pick them up and throw them yourself! They have such a slow attack animation that it's easy to run up and grab them. Doesn't work on ice variants though, they'll freeze you on contact.
    I know! Some of them will actually explode in your hands if you hold them too long.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I tried to take a selfie posing like a lynel was in my hand. He eventually shot some shock arrows at me to express his displeasure.

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    You can also
    pick them up and then just gently put them back on the ground upside-down. They can't get up! (Then they explode for some reason.)

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I love the subtle music in this game, but I do wish it was more prevalent at times. Listening to the soundtrack at work is nice ambiance.
    Rito Village = Dragon Roost Island <3

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    @Variable regarding the boss photos, I just had a thought (first spoiler is mild speculation, second is something I think I read):
    I think you might be able to get them later if
    I heard correctly and there's some kind of boss rush in the final fight.
    Can anyone who's beaten the game confirm or deny that our compendiums are not doomed to incompleteness?

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    @Variable regarding the boss photos, I just had a thought (first spoiler is mild speculation, second is something I think I read):
    Can anyone who's beaten the game confirm our deny that our compendiums are not doomed to incompleteness?

I think that only happens if
    you didn't beat them already
    but I haven't gotten there so I am not sure

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Variable wrote: »
    Variable regarding the boss photos, I just had a thought (first spoiler is mild speculation, second is something I think I read):
    Can anyone who's beaten the game confirm our deny that our compendiums are not doomed to incompleteness?

I think that only happens if
    you didn't beat them already
    but I haven't gotten there so I am not sure
    After some googling it looks like we should be able to buy their pictures at some point.

e:
    Yep, after beating the game an "Elites" photo category unlocks.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I love the subtle music in this game, but I do wish it was more prevalent at times. Listening to the soundtrack at work is nice ambiance.
    Rito Village = Dragon Roost Island <3

Also, does anyone get a Professor E Gad feel from the tech lab themes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xk8-dDqu50

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't have concrete proof, but I'm fairly confidant you can buy missed boss pictures after beating the game. Mild spoilers for post game "changes", but honestly they're really nothing at all.
    It simply reverts to your last save pre Ganon. But there's a star on your file, you get XX/XX counters on all your quest lists and a global counter to 100% on the map. Someone mentioned previously that they couldn't buy the boss pictures (couldn't buy anymore period), which I assume was pre Ganon. I see no reason why they wouldn't unlock in this post state though.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Wait who do you buy pictures from?

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    I totally forgot about selfies. I should have taken one while I was on fire.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Spring of Wisdom unintended ridiculousness spoilers:
    "Congratulations, you have freed Nayra from Ganon's horrible corruption and ended her constant pain."
    *Nayra looks at you happily like a contented Labrador*
    "...now shoot her in the face."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

The tech guy in Hateno that teaches you the whole concept of picture taking.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    "Congratulations, you have freed Nayra from Ganon's horrible corruption and ended her constant pain."
    They needed some way to let you know that it's okay to shoot arrows at the other dragons.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I love fighting these Guardians in the overworld. They keep trying their laser and I keep shield parrying it right back at them. Three shots and they're toast while I have a ready supply of gears, shafts, screws, and cores.

• Options

The tech guy in Hateno that teaches you the whole concept of picture taking.

I basically never went there again after I fully upgraded my slate, neat.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    They needed some way to let you know that it's okay to shoot arrows at the other dragons.
    I spent so long trying to ride on their backs because of them saying the dragons were peaceful.. but hey!
    Madican wrote: »
    I love fighting these Guardians in the overworld. They keep trying their laser and I keep shield parrying it right back at them. Three shots and they're toast while I have a ready supply of gears, shafts, screws, and cores.

Endgame spoilers, really.
    I find it AWESOME that information about this disseminated, because it is a mechanic you need to use in the final battle and yet they never teach or hint at it...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Beat the main quest, fantastic and I have the mightiest urge to start a new game immediately because there's so many things I want to tackle again in a different way based on what I learned before like dungeon order. But I don't want to do that until I manage to find a Switch, I want to replay the game from the start on the Switch version.

So I'll work on trying to do 100% completion on my existing save, mess around with amiibos for now.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Mass Effect is tomorrow.

I haven't even cleared 1 dungeon in this game. I think I'm just done. I've tried, and I can't do it. When I'm at home, and I have gaming free time, I should have been playing Zelda. But weapon durability makes me hate this game.

It's a damn shame because it's a beautiful game world. But that one feature, all by itself, makes me never want to log in and play.

This will be the first main-line Zelda game I have not finished.

Maybe if they patch out durability I'll try it again in the future. But for me personally, this game is unplayable. It is not fun to have my weapon breaking against every enemy I fight. It's seriously like a 1 to 1 ratio of weapon to enemy breaking. It's absolutely ludicrous. And not fun. And a game-ruining experience.

So am hanging up my green tights and I'll just play Mass Effect.

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    Gerudo dungeon spoiler,
    Genius alternate solution
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq4UqlgXoQo
    I remember spending all night searching for the 2nd metal ball, tucked away up a wall.
    I did the same searching until I tried using the Rito dungeon ability and just flew over the door.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    I wanted a challenge in terms of shrines, and boy did i get one when i came to the Shora Hah Shrine.
    It's at the end of the rail line, northern end of the main lake in Eldin Mountain. You have to bring a blue flame from one end of the shrine to another, clearing successive challenges often involving fire extinguishers. There was one where you had to activate two torches that were on platforms moving side to side, with extinguishers on both sides. You could stasis the extinguishers, but since you can only stasis one at a time you had an insanely short time to get one, and get the other, and you had to turn on some updraft fans and get to the other side before one of the flames hit the extinguisher. Wasted a lot of arrows on that one. Although given what the dungeon gives you later on, ice arrows might have solved that whole conundrum.

Funny enough, this was the last shrine I did last night before going to bed. Thought I'd knock it out in a few minutes like most of the other ones. Nope!
    I'm pissed I didn't think of the ice arrows though. I kept trying to use Cryonis to freeze the fountains and was getting angry that it wouldn't work, but never even considered firing an ice arrow at them. I mostly just settled for taking very long shots at faraway torches and eventually getting lucky. I also get very perturbed when I got to the end with the circle of alters surrounded by fountains and realized I needed a torch with a charged attack to light them. Had to haul ass all the way back to the start of the shrine and grab the one by the first alter, then go all the way back to the end.

Was a tough shrine, but in the end I actually ended up enjoying it a lot. It was a good challenge.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    There's only one shrine I've given up on and even then it was only for the bonus chest, I finished the actual shrine.
    Gives you a ball and a hammer and you have to stasis the ball and then thwack it into a hole a ways away. There's a second area where you can do it to get a treasure chest and I just can't get the damn timing/aiming down.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Anything with gyro controls is terrible. It would be nice to be able to just control that crap with the joysticks since the gyro isn't really as responsive as it needs to be anyway.
    The hammer + ball ones are always in slow motion when I use the gyro even if I do the motion IRL fast.

Regarding other puzzles...
    I really like all of the electricity puzzles, because they usually actually feel like puzzles. There is also a puzzle by the goron place that you have to do a bunch of timing shots with arrows and flame, that one was also pretty cool. I also spent like 30 minutes trying to get the cart to work on the rails over lava but could never quite get it to work, so I just climbed a mountain and glided under the rock to the shrine...

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Working the mine carts is easy. You can't magnesis stuff that you're standing on (otherwise you could effectively fly and bust the game wide open), but you can stasis stuff you're standing on. So you get in the cart, stasis, and smack it in the direction you want to go. Just don't go too hard or the cart will derail.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Regarding other puzzles...
    I really like all of the electricity puzzles, because they usually actually feel like puzzles. There is also a puzzle by the goron place that you have to do a bunch of timing shots with arrows and flame, that one was also pretty cool. I also spent like 30 minutes trying to get the cart to work on the rails over lava but could never quite get it to work, so I just climbed a mountain and glided under the rock to the shrine...

Man I wracked my brain trying to get those carts to move, wasting a lot of precious weapons on Stasis and such. Turns out:
    There's a front and and a back end. Use magnesis to make sure it's pointing the right way. The back end has a round cage on it. You can drop/roll a round bomb into that hole and then detonate it safely if you did it right. Smooth sailing.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    There's only one shrine I've given up on and even then it was only for the bonus chest, I finished the actual shrine.
    Gives you a ball and a hammer and you have to stasis the ball and then thwack it into a hole a ways away. There's a second area where you can do it to get a treasure chest and I just can't get the damn timing/aiming down.
    I feel like there has to be some trick to this one.
    I practically got a hole in one a couple of times and the ball continued merrily onward and out, so unless you need a direct hit I don't think you can just hit it "right."

If you could put ice blocks behind the thing somehow... or do ice arrows create a flat platform? Maybe you could create a runway.

edit: actually, I'm not at all sure that you can't just hit it in, but it feels difficult enough that some additional thing you do to make it easier would be v appropriate.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I feel like there has to be some trick to this one.
    I practically got a hole in one a couple of times and the ball continued merrily onward and out, so unless you need a direct hit I don't think you can just hit it "right."

If you could put ice blocks behind the thing somehow... or do ice arrows create a flat platform? Maybe you could create a runway.

Actually you are thinking of a different shrine I think.
    SniperGuy is talking about the shrine where you controller a hammer and hit the ball with it. You're thinking of the shrine you hit the ball yourself. I ended up looking up the answer to the shrine you are talking about because I didn't even realize how weapons interact during stasis.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Mass Effect is tomorrow.

I haven't even cleared 1 dungeon in this game. I think I'm just done. I've tried, and I can't do it. When I'm at home, and I have gaming free time, I should have been playing Zelda. But weapon durability makes me hate this game.

It's a damn shame because it's a beautiful game world. But that one feature, all by itself, makes me never want to log in and play.

Maybe if they patch out durability I'll try it again in the future. But for me personally, this game is unplayable. It is not fun to have my weapon breaking against every enemy I fight. It's seriously like a 1 to 1 ratio of weapon to enemy breaking. It's absolutely ludicrous. And not fun. And a game-ruining experience.

What are you doing with your weapons that they're breaking on every enemy? Do you smash your swords against rocks several times to warm up or something? The only weapon that's going to break that often is, like, a Torch.

Don't forget that you also have bows. A well-placed shot can kill an enemy in one hit, netting you their weapon. And you can collect all the arrows that miss.

Weapons you find in the world will respawn over time, so if you ever find a decent sword lying around somewhere, make a note on the map and come back later to get another one. I will even help! You can find at least a sword and shield in every major town. There's an axe or hammer at every stable!

Lastly, weapons do get more durable as you find better ones.

Honestly, once you've left the plateau, unless you're trying to go somewhere you obviously shouldn't, like straight to Hyrule Castle, there is no excuse for running out of weapons.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Mass Effect is tomorrow.

What are you doing with your weapons that they're breaking on every enemy? Do you smash your swords against rocks several times to warm up or something? The only weapon that's going to break that often is, like, a Torch.

Don't forget that you also have bows. A well-placed shot can kill an enemy in one hit, netting you their weapon. And you can collect all the arrows that miss.

Weapons you find in the world will respawn over time, so if you ever find a decent sword lying around somewhere, make a note on the map and come back later to get another one. I will even help! You can find at least a sword and shield in every major town. There's an axe or hammer at every stable!

Lastly, weapons do get more durable as you find better ones.

Honestly, once you've left the plateau, unless you're trying to go somewhere you obviously shouldn't, like straight to Hyrule Castle, there is no excuse for running out of weapons.

I've found that stealth armor and sneakstrike at night is the way to go on any bokoblin/moblin type enemy

one hit kills save on durability greatly

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Sneak Strike is the best use of the Boulder Breaker.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Breath of the Wild deluxe edition guide pushed back to April 11th with an increased production

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Some people just really don't enjoy the feeling of losing their items, regardless of how easy they are to replenish. I probably would have hated it as well before my Skyrim induced zen experience.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Some people just really don't enjoy the feeling of losing their items, regardless of how easy they are to replenish. I probably would have hated it as well before my Skyrim induced zen experience.

I'll admit I still don't really like it

It's just one of those parts of the game that I'll forgive because everything else is 500% better than any other open world game I've ever played