Options

[Hollow Knight] Sequel: Now has a store page; still no release date

1262728293032»

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Being well up on current events, I just started Hollow Knight this weekend. Just beat Soul Master and so far so v enjoyable metroidvania. I am slightly concerned its difficulty will out last my patience, but it’s all good so far. Nothing trickier than say Metroid Dread.

The cute cartoon bug aesthetic mixed with the heavily cribbed from dark souls lore is very nice, but I’m as yet not quite getting the rabid love of the fan base.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Being well up on current events, I just started Hollow Knight this weekend. Just beat Soul Master and so far so v enjoyable metroidvania. I am slightly concerned its difficulty will out last my patience, but it’s all good so far. Nothing trickier than say Metroid Dread.

The cute cartoon bug aesthetic mixed with the heavily cribbed from dark souls lore is very nice, but I’m as yet not quite getting the rabid love of the fan base.

Bapanada

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm Necroing this thread because Silksong got both an XBox page and a Nintendo page with an ESRB rating.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/hollow-knight-silksong/9n116v0599hb

Signs of life stir.
    Barrakketh wrote: »

This is just as far as they were willing to go with an April Fools joke. If they'd posted like a fake release announcement or something, then when they realized it was a joke I believe the fanbase would have descended upon Australia and devoured Team Cherry alive.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I think actually releasing on April 1st would have been the funniest thing ever.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular

I think it's tremendously well designed in terms of levels, abilities, encounters etc. I'm not a particularly skilled player, but I enjoyed learning how to overcome the game's challenges, probably more so than with the vast majority of games. What makes Hollow Knight sing for me, though, is how all of this meshes with the vibe of the game: the melancholy, the music, the way that penultimate battle becomes something sad much more than it is triumphant. (That battle feels as mournful to me as the death of all the colossi in Shadow of the Colossus.) To some extent, Hollow Knight does the Soulsborne thing better (or at least more effectively) for me than any of the actual Soulsborne games since Demon's Souls.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular

I just really really loved the vibe it built. The characters, their little details/personalities, the environments. Everything just comes together in a way that I really enjoyed exploring, and I'm left with basically nothing but fond memories. Except for
    the super-meat-boy style sequence(s). I loved the hell out of super meat boy but it drives me crazy when a game is not mechanically organized to support instant death/restart platforming decide to include it—the whole reason it is enjoyable in super meatboy for me is because restarting a run is instantaneous

qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited April 6
    Oh shit
    the infected crossroads is an excellent example of ratcheting up dread by making a previous safe space back into a danger zone.

I would still describe all fights so far as harsh but fair. All bugs as cute. All lore as incomprehensible.

It’s a pleasingly open map for a metroidvania. Certainly feels like there are lots of potential routes to explore at any given point.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Completed 100%. Which I know isn’t actually 100% but it’ll do me. The White Palace kind of knocked the enthusiasm out of me to delve further. I saw the extra secret final boss but am not in the mood for grinding out another fight.

Looking it up after I was not even close to finding any of the DLC content. Hidden a little too well IMO.

MhCw7nZ.gif