As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hollow Knight] Sequel: Now has a store page; still no release date

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I don't think the charm system is bad, but I think it could have been a lot better and more interesting.

Like I can see wanting to have certain loadouts against certain bosses, like if I stumble onto a boss and lose the first time I fight them I may try and rejigger my charms. I don't need the compass at that moment because I already know how to get back to the boss. But I just think a thing like knowing where you are on the map is basic enough that the character should just be able to do it fairly early on without wasting essentially an equipment slot to do it.

Making some of the quality of life charms into basic upgrades just seems natural to me, and potentially creates space for more interesting charms that force more creative gameplay decisions.

Having said all this, I realize that these are probably things the developers thought about and for whatever reason decided against. They know the job far better than I do. And furthermore, there's still a lot of game ahead of me. I just acquired the crystal heart. I have a ton of charms left to unlock, haven't even seen a nail art yet, and probably a whole bunch of stuff I don't know about.

So maybe it comes together in a really meaningful way that I'm not seeing yet because I don't have the whole picture.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I'd have preferred if charms were generally weaker but you could use more of them.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    For those who don't know about what the street bugs are calling 'Overcharming'
    You can do a thing called Overcharming, where you can equip a charm even if you don't have enough notches for it. When you try and equip a charm without sufficient notches, the first few times it'll give you an 'error' buzz, but if you keep trying you'll break through and equip the charm anyway. This puts you in a state of being Overcharmed, which causes you to take double damage from all sources. You can use this to give yourself an extra boost but also extra challenge if you want.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    My favorite charm combination, even though it's not really the most useful, is running with all the summon-style charms. Having a bunch of little dudes doing most of the killing and soul-gathering for me is a fun romp.

Mid-game location spoiler:
    Don't try this in Fog Canyon though. Explosions everywhere.

Late-game location spoiler:
    The all-summons build does changes your strategy in the Colosseum in interesting ways, though. It was a neat puzzle to just spend my time dodging while exploding flies and baby spiders took down most of the enemies for me.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I encountered the first boss to really give me trouble. Broken Vessel.

I won’t talk about specifics, but I don’t even think he’s all that hard. But there’s just enough going on and I’ll “zig” instead of “zag” and then tilt for the rest of the fight.

Also I just wandered into his zone. I don’t know if this is the natural progression but I just kept going “now I’ll go here. Then here. Where does this hole go?” Things like that. Kinda neat.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I encountered the first boss to really give me trouble. Broken Vessel.

I won’t talk about specifics, but I don’t even think he’s all that hard. But there’s just enough going on and I’ll “zig” instead of “zag” and then tilt for the rest of the fight.

Also I just wandered into his zone. I don’t know if this is the natural progression but I just kept going “now I’ll go here. Then here. Where does this hole go?” Things like that. Kinda neat.

'Natural progression' basically consists of areas having walls and ledges that you can't bypass without some kind of movement upgrade. Each one you get opens up new paths to follow, and following all of these will ultimately yield yet more upgrades. Pretty much the essence of a metroidvania, and I think Hollow Knight does it really well.
    Right after I picked up the Mantis Claw and was wall jumping through to some new space, I almost immediately ran into a passage with non-wall jumpable walls that would require a double-jump to bypass. 'Sons of bitches!' I thought, at the same time being super tantalized and making a mental note to come back later. There's a lot of that sort of thing.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The game also seems to do a good job with gating progression not by putting down real barriers, but by making players just want to leave and come back later when they're stronger. The two examples that stood out the most to me:
    The easiest entrance to Deepnest is incredibly hostile, with a ton of enemies that aren't actually that dangerous but constantly respawn. The player is dumped further in then they'd initially like and has to struggle their way out, at which point they'll probably decide to leave the area alone until they actually have a reason to be there. If they go in deeper, though, they'll find that the game backs way off, making the enemies nastier but ending the constant respawns and letting the player take them at their own pace. There's probably some easy sequence breaking to be had if they make it to the Failed Tramway, but most players won't ever find that place until they've already gone through the normal paths.

Kingdom's Edge sort of does the opposite, immediately presenting the player with enemies that have a ton of health but are basically harmless, while setting up the terrain in such a way that players can't just spam attacks to easily kill them. If the player can't easily take them out, then that's an obvious warning that they'd have issues facing the enemies deeper within that actually are dangerous.

• Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    I'm having some real trouble on a boss! Feeling a bit demoralized actually, and any advice would be appreciated.
    I'm in the Soul Sanctum and trying to beat the Soul Master, but he is so complicated, with his flames spinning around, the fake slam attack, the real slam.

I found the spell twister charm hidden up top, and thought maybe the key was to use spells on him but a spell charm loadout didnt really do much for me.
    I have 5 notches available so i've gone back to longnail, grubsong and stalwart shell.

I haven't had a heap of trouble on the bosses up till now but this one seems an order harder. Does the game get any harder that this?
    At this point i'm wondering if i'll even be able to finish the game, and I hate that thought because i'm hooked on seeing where it takes me.

404 not found
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Jimbo wrote: »
    I'm having some real trouble on a boss! Feeling a bit demoralized actually, and any advice would be appreciated.
    I'm in the Soul Sanctum and trying to beat the Soul Master, but he is so complicated, with his flames spinning around, the fake slam attack, the real slam.

I found the spell twister charm hidden up top, and thought maybe the key was to use spells on him but a spell charm loadout didnt really do much for me.
    I have 5 notches available so i've gone back to longnail, grubsong and stalwart shell.

I haven't had a heap of trouble on the bosses up till now but this one seems an order harder. Does the game get any harder that this?
    At this point i'm wondering if i'll even be able to finish the game, and I hate that thought because i'm hooked on seeing where it takes me.
    Take it slow. His attacks are very heavily telegraphed and most of them are easy to dodge, so if you're playing it safe you shouldn't have much trouble surviving. Don't try to force anything, just wait for opportunities where you know you can attack without any risk of getting hit.

For the last part, I don't think he has very much health left so you can probably get away with heavily whaling on him while he's standing still, assuming you have enough health yourself left at that point.

Did you get the nail upgrade? If not, go ahead and track it down, you're reasonably expected to have access to it at this point.

jothki on
  • Options
    Minor spoilers: boss names and associated locations.
    Killed Broken Vessel. Killed Dung Defender and flipped the switch behind him. I have no idea what that does.

Unsure of where to go next. Trying to get 800 geos together so I can upgrade the nail, but keep dying in dumb ways, usually by ending up where I'm not supposed to be.

So I'm a bit aimless right now.

• Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Sorry, I messed up my spoiler tags
    jothki wrote: »
    Take it slow. His attacks are very heavily telegraphed and most of them are easy to dodge, so if you're playing it safe you shouldn't have much trouble surviving. Don't try to force anything, just wait for opportunities where you know you can attack without any risk of getting hit.

For the last part, I don't think he has very much health left so you can probably get away with heavily whaling on him while he's standing still, assuming you have enough health yourself left at that point.

Did you get the nail upgrade? If not, go ahead and track it down, you're reasonably expected to have access to it at this point.
    I finally got him into the second stage of the fight but died, so i'm making progress!
    I have the dream nail and the channeled spin attack, which i haven't been using. Also the Longnail charm. Are any of those what you mean by nail upgrade?

I think I might leave him for a little while and explore elsewhere. The shop in dirtmouth has restocked a mask piece which I think will give me an extra hitpoint, so I may even farm some geo and buy that. It may give me the edge I need.

Thanks!

Jimbo on
    404 not found
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    /spoiler

/spoiler
    The game also seems to do a good job with gating progression not by putting down real barriers, but by making players just want to leave and come back later when they're stronger. The two examples that stood out the most to me:
    The easiest entrance to Deepnest is incredibly hostile, with a ton of enemies that aren't actually that dangerous but constantly respawn. The player is dumped further in then they'd initially like and has to struggle their way out, at which point they'll probably decide to leave the area alone until they actually have a reason to be there. If they go in deeper, though, they'll find that the game backs way off, making the enemies nastier but ending the constant respawns and letting the player take them at their own pace. There's probably some easy sequence breaking to be had if they make it to the Failed Tramway, but most players won't ever find that place until they've already gone through the normal paths.

Kingdom's Edge sort of does the opposite, immediately presenting the player with enemies that have a ton of health but are basically harmless, while setting up the terrain in such a way that players can't just spam attacks to easily kill them. If the player can't easily take them out, then that's an obvious warning that they'd have issues facing the enemies deeper within that actually are dangerous.

I finally got him into the second stage of the fight but died, so i'm making progress!
    I have the dream nail and the channeled spin attack, which i haven't been using. Also the Longnail charm. Are any of those what you mean by nail upgrade?

I think I might leave him for a little while and explore elsewhere. The shop in dirtmouth has restocked a mask piece which I think will give me an extra hitpoint, so I may even farm some geo and buy that. It may give me the edge I need.

Thanks!

Well there are harder bosses but the really dangerous ones are optional. Theres a couple of tough required fights but nothing ridiculous. Soul Master seems to be a fairly common roadblock. Focus on getting his patterns down. Your charm picks are pretty decent.

As for Nail upgrades
    All the way to the left of city of tears is a blacksmith who can upgrade your nails damage. First upgrade is 250 geo and takes your nail from 5 damage to 9. So if you've missed that then getting that upgrade should almost cut the length of the Soul Master fight in half.

After that he starts asking for pure ore for more upgrades. (4 more damage each time)

Road Block on
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Sorry, I messed up my spoiler tags

Thanks!
    Stand on the left, hug the wall and most of his attacks become trivial. Jump up when he charges you and bounce on his head, get a few licks in when he floats around with the circle of flames and leave your safe spot when he teleports around if you see an opening, but always return. If he dives, just charge out of the way

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Killed Broken Vessel. Killed Dung Defender and flipped the switch behind him. I have no idea what that does.

Unsure of where to go next. Trying to get 800 geos together so I can upgrade the nail, but keep dying in dumb ways, usually by ending up where I'm not supposed to be.

Have you gotten the lantern and gone through the area to the right of Crossroads?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

Have you gotten the lantern and gone through the area to the right of Crossroads?
    Pretty sure I have, but I'll have to double check. I have the lantern and I recall doing that, but the zones start to blur together a little.

Where does it go again? Don't worry about spoiling too much.

Since that post I've beaten the crystal mines lazer boss (both versions) and wandered around all the way up to Hollownest Crown. I also wound my way through that secondary part of the city of tears and encountered the Watcher Knights but they seemed a little beyond me at the time.

Now that I have the third nail upgrade I might go back there and see what I can do.

• Options

Pretty sure I have, but I'll have to double check. I have the lantern and I recall doing that, but the zones start to blur together a little.

Since that post I've beaten the crystal mines lazer boss (both versions) and wandered around all the way up to Hollownest Crown. I also wound my way through that secondary part of the city of tears and encountered the Watcher Knights but they seemed a little beyond me at the time.

Now that I have the third nail upgrade I might go back there and see what I can do.
    Was just making sure you got the super dash from the Crystal Peak & gone to the Resting Grounds. Failing that, going east of City of Tears is also an option now that you have double jump.

The switch past Dung Defender opens up another area in the sewers, where you get an upgrade to deal with acid water.

• Options

Was just making sure you got the super dash from the Crystal Peak & gone to the Resting Grounds. Failing that, going east of City of Tears is also an option now that you have double jump.

The switch past Dung Defender opens up another area in the sewers, where you get an upgrade to deal with acid water.
    Ok cool, good to know. I was wondering what that switch was for, I didn't see any immediately obvious changes to the zone, but I will head back there because I'd like to get that upgrade.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I'm working my way through this on switch and some of the platforming is really frustrating. I should probably come back later but doing the
    nail jumps on moving enemies
    is very hard! I've been using the charm that
    does damage to the enemy when I get hit and I should probably turn it off because if I fail and smack a bug while nail jumping it tries to hurt the bug and that just stuns me in the air and I end up getting hit again and falling into spikes and just taking more damage.
    Also some of the platforms seem very finicky. Sometimes i'll wall jump up a thing with spikes on top and hit the spikes on the side. Other times I have literally landed on the edge of the platform covered in spikes and not taken damage.

I've made it to
    the crystal mines and gotten the thing that makes me zoom across big areas, went backwards and explored a bit of the area I came from and got a King's something or other. I have a bunch of wanderer journals, no clue what to do with those. One nail upgrade. I know there's places to go poke my head into but I also keep finding dark areas. I need to buy the flashlight charm from the shop.
    Any good farming locations I have access to at this point? Any other suggestions on where I might wanna try and head next are also welcome.

edit: An example of weird platforming shenanigans:

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    I'd explore more in the City, if you haven't yet. It should answer some of your questions.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    If you aren't dying a lot and losing Geo you shouldn't need to do much farming. I didn't farm really at all since I just had Geo.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    What the heck? I got the Love Key but when I used it the door close to the King's Station stopped a fourth of the way up?

• Options
    Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    Finished with 93%!

Now to go back and do everything else.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    What the heck? I got the Love Key but when I used it the door close to the King's Station stopped a fourth of the way up?
    You may need to enter from up above in Kingdom's Edge

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Beaten, 103 %.

What a rich, smart and beautiful game.

• Options
    Oh hey good news the rest of the Hollow Knight soundtrack finally dropped!

But that thud you heard was me clamoring under my desk from PTSD of Nightmare King Grimm.

• Options
    The upcoming DLC pack, Gods & Glory, has been re-named to Godmaster.

http://teamcherry.com.au/hollow-knight-gods-glory-is-now-godmaster/

Apparently it conflicted with a mobile game name and Team Cherry changed the name. I find this situation distasteful!

Luckily, the name change won't delay the release, which is coming next week on the 23rd, woo!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    It's out!

HK_Godmaster.jpg

Had a short time to play around with it this morning. If you're far into the game and need a hint on where to go to access the new content:
    There's a new area hidden behind the Colosseum that holds a 4th Simple Key, which you'll need.

Then poke around the Waterways and look for a breakable ceiling near one of those exploding bats for another new area.

There's a lot of stuff to do in this one, so it'll take a while to complete! So far it's yet another fun and fascinating new layer to the world.

Also the game is coming to PS4 and XBOX and will get physical releases for all consoles including Switch next year. Weee!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Switch version of Hollow Knight is now on sale for ~$10 to match the Steam sale price. So... I'm gonna buy it tonight. That is just a silly price for such a new game with so much content.

Was planning on buying it on launch day, but held off because I have no time to play it, and now I'll save a few bucks.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I fired up my switch and it didn't seem like there was an update for Hollow Knight available...

Edit: I had to press + to bring up the options and search for an update. Downloading now!

Delzhand on
  • Options
    TrenosTrenos Registered User regular
    I have fought the long battle inside my mind to which game i should buy. Dead Cells won that time and now i have beaten most of the game, i have a question.

After playing through dead cells recently, would hollow knight add a new experience to the genre, or it would feel as if i'm playing something very similar?

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Trenos wrote: »
    I have fought the long battle inside my mind to which game i should buy. Dead Cells won that time and now i have beaten most of the game, i have a question.

After playing through dead cells recently, would hollow knight add a new experience to the genre, or it would feel as if i'm playing something very similar?

They are basically 2 different games, despite their genre similarity.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Dead Cells isn't even really a metroidvania, as far as I'm concerned. The only reason they're compared so frequently is that they came out at the same time and are both excellent platformers.

• Options
    Godmaster
    Uh, did this add more bosses out in the world than just inside the Godhome?

There's a Hall of Gods that lets you fight a boss for practice, as well as has a list of all of them. There's two extra open slots as far as I can tell (at least for me) in the first and second columns. The last one in the first after Mantis Lords, and the 6th in the second column after Nosk.

I had 107% completion prior to Godmaster, FWIW.

• Options
    Godmaster

There's a Hall of Gods that lets you fight a boss for practice, as well as has a list of all of them. There's two extra open slots as far as I can tell (at least for me) in the first and second columns. The last one in the first after Mantis Lords, and the 6th in the second column after Nosk.

I noticed the same thing.
    There *may* be enhanced versions of normal bosses in the Hall of Gods? I notice there are option for 'Attuned' and 'Ascend' on each boss (Which is basically Normal and Hard), and each plinth has one node for each difficulty. Bosses that have a secondary encounters like the Dream Bosses (Grimm) or Hornet (for her two encounters) have two nodes, one for each encounters. But I noticed Mantis Lords also have two nodes, even though they don't have a known second encounter. So maybe either the Hall of Gods or the boss-rush challenges have some hidden extra form of some bosses?

I haven't a clue if this is the case, but I'm dying to find out.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Godmaster

I noticed the same thing.
    There *may* be enhanced versions of normal bosses in the Hall of Gods? I notice there are option for 'Attuned' and 'Ascend' on each boss (Which is basically Normal and Hard), and each plinth has one node for each difficulty. Bosses that have a secondary encounters like the Dream Bosses (Grimm) or Hornet (for her two encounters) have two nodes, one for each encounters. But I noticed Mantis Lords also have two nodes, even though they don't have a known second encounter. So maybe either the Hall of Gods or the boss-rush challenges have some hidden extra form of some bosses?

I haven't a clue if this is the case, but I'm dying to find out.

I looked it up
    They are harder versions of the fights, but they're unlocked from completing the pantheon rushes.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Ack, this is entering some Nightmare King Grimm territory.
    Pure Vessel is even faster. I don't look forwards to going through that whole pantheon every time he kills me in 3 seconds.

I imagine that's what the purpose of the big 'God Gallery' room, so you can practice all the bosses in various forms.

Haven't tried any of the bindings yet - I hope there's no story content locked behind some kind of 'clear every boss and pantheon with all bindings' gate. So far it seems like there's 3 secret sealed things - the chest atop the Knight's Pantheon, gate in the God Gallery, and a blue-ish door with unlit nodes all over it.
    edit - This game is too much. Too good. Sleep now.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Does anyone know of good remixes or music inspired by Hollow Knight. I love that kinda thing.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Man i don't know what just happened but the game is unplayable for me after the update, it ran fine previously with a smaller screen but now it only does full screen and the game just chugs, especially when i get hit, which is fatal in the arena

Kinda sucks to sink 60 hours into a game only to be unable to finish it

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Is this dlc just more bosses? I think I am negative interested in fighting bosses anymore.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Is this dlc just more bosses? I think I am negative interested in fighting bosses anymore.

There is a story, but it does involve fighting the bosses in the Boss Rush pantheons. There are at least 4 new ones and some new versions of previously existing bosses. That's not including all of the versions you get in the Hall of Gods (you can fight Normal, Hard, and 1-Hit-Kill modes of all bosses. Probably not gonna do many of that last mode!)

There doesn't seem to be any character upgrades - apparently the feature that would have involved 'Glorifying Charms' was cut, whatever it was. You get an item called the 'Godtuner' but I don't know what it does, other than signify that you found the new area. I was sad to hear about the upgrades being cut, I could really have used some kind of enhancements to take on these pantheons.
    If you do enough pantheons with Bindings active, you can unlock bonus Lifeblood Masks for use during the pantheons, which will help, but not that much.

H9f4bVe.png