As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Middle Earth: [Shadow of War] Micro-Transactions to be tossed into Mount Doom!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    dporowski wrote: »
    Do not fucking go "left" at the beginning. Do not. It leads to pain. You think "oh hey I'll do that to level up" and instead you get chased by an ambushing tracker who is immune to everything and regenerates.

Wait, you do know that the orcs are randomly generated and are unique to each play through (aside from a few specific story ones) right?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So after far, far too much trouble, I made it to whatsisbutt the Slaver. Surrounded by roughly 300 orcs, archers, etc, I assumed "well this will suck". THESE orcs however, were giant fucking chumps who went down with like, a single elfshot to the head, and didn't call for reinforcements or any of the hideous things that had been happening to me. In fact, they single-file lined up and marched over to my AC-patented "bush of death".

Do not fucking go "left" at the beginning. Do not. It leads to pain. You think "oh hey I'll do that to level up" and instead you get chased by an ambushing tracker who is immune to everything and regenerates.

haha im glad you made it through. Yeah basically it seems like you went into a pain room accidentally, and got really unlucky with your first captain encounter who randomly generated some nasty trait combos, whereas other people like me probably lucked out and had an easier time with it with chump captains.

Still all my advice still stands, do challenge missions as much as possible to level up your abilities so that you'll be dancing around all those fuckers in no time.

The way I like to get revenge on captains that pissed me off, is in the second region you get an ability to control the orcs and pop their heads at will. I come back, beat all my old enemies into submission, brand them, and then pop their heads unceremoniously.

Prohass on
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Wait, you do know that the orcs are randomly generated and are unique to each play through (aside from a few specific story ones) right?

Well, I do now. I assumed orcs was orcs, but "orcs over there" were way, way nastier than "orcs over THERE", so I don't know.

• Options
    yeah orcs are randomly generated and develop different traits over time. It sounds like you got a really unlucky roll of the dice at like the worst possible time. Which is the games fault, it shouldnt generate enemies that difficult straight off the bat, but the good news is if you climb that hurdle you can start stomping.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    To be clear, they're referring to officers in the orc army. Those are all unique and special (in randomized ways). If they don't have a name and healthbar, they're all identical in ability to every other orc of the same type. An orc with a shield is an orc with a shield. Same for dual-wielders, etc.

• Options
    Yeah, aside from the very first Orc you fight after the tutorial, if an Orc "calls you out" (The camera zooms in on them and they give a couple of lines of dialog at you) it's a Captain; otherwise it's a normal Orc. (They show up as red in the wraith sight too, IIRC)

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/cVM5g4MFnzs

So long story short, in the small print that charity donations will be going to the family in the applicable states. Outside of that all the money goes to WB.

• Options
    I just can't fathom what would prompt someone to spend 20 minutes (presumably) disapproving on video of the imperfection of a charity effort.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I just can't fathom what would prompt someone to spend 20 minutes (presumably) disapproving on video of the imperfection of a charity effort.

Because he brings a valid point. Despite all the micro transaction bull that has transpired. Me and many others I would like to believe are more than happy to honor monoliths good intentions to immortalize one of their beloved co-workers as a paid DLC in which profits would go to the family.

What IS the problem is that in very fine print and if like me you are outside the US or the States not applicable. The Family see not one penny.

It's misleading and a shame.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    And this is why they're doing this.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure this is why we can't have nice things.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

No, listen, there are loads of worthy charities where 80-90% of your donation goes to help who you're trying to help. A charity that pockets the money of everyone outside the US is just a fucking scam.

Exposing the shitty charities so that you know the good ones to donate to can only be considered a good thing. Asserting that we should never question any charities revenue flow just lets literal scams like Susan G. Komen or United Way flourish while deserving charities languish.

• Options
    Yeah, if you're unwilling or unable to donate the money to the charity, you probably shouldn't be accept money on behalf of thar charity, intended for that charity.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you're unwilling or unable to donate the money to the charity, you probably shouldn't be accept money on behalf of thar charity, intended for that charity.

What they should have done is put in a splash screen pre-purchase that says "Unfortunately due to the nature of international donations to US charities the funds you would have been donating via this purchase will instead be given to WB who will then do a matching donation" and then do that and everything is fine as long as they followed through

I mean unless that's incredibly illegal or something which wouldn't surprise me because international stuff gets incredibly complicated/dumb sometimes

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Sigh, well now the 'donation' DLC feels slimy. Such a shame.

And there's a way to legally donate to charities, we have Games Done Quick that happens biyearly and they take charity donations from all over the world, as just one example. There is clearly a legal way to donate internationally (just think about that sentence for a bit, are we stating that international donations aren't possible?), which is why the whole situation feels like an intentional cover-up via omission or 'fine print'.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options

If you watch the video, he clearly states his motivations. From a personal level, he sees WB as profiting from a man who died of the same cancer he currently has. This oversight on WB's part creates a lot of unnecessary controversy for the family and friends, and it's all completely avoidable.

He calmly asks not to be such dirtbags and match outside the US DLC purchases to a charity, such as one that battles the particular cancer that killed him, http://defeatgbm.org/

• Options
    This is a really awesome demonstration vid, lots of new Orc types and abilities that just look so varied and fun
    https://youtu.be/r0GYaXk5sqk

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

No, listen, there are loads of worthy charities where 80-90% of your donation goes to help who you're trying to help. A charity that pockets the money of everyone outside the US is just a fucking scam.

Exposing the shitty charities so that you know the good ones to donate to can only be considered a good thing. Asserting that we should never question any charities revenue flow just lets literal scams like Susan G. Komen or United Way flourish while deserving charities languish.

Uh wut?

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4629

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

Uh wut?

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4629
    Yeah, the United Way does a lot for small non-profits within communities, like domestic violence shelters and food banks. Without groups like them redistributing money through grants and whatnot, many of those places couldn't survive on the donations they get alone. Their main problem generally is that the small community United Way units can sometimes fall apart or become corrupt themselves, but that doesn't reflect on the national organization itself.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    This is a really awesome demonstration vid, lots of new Orc types and abilities that just look so varied and fun
    https://youtu.be/r0GYaXk5sqk

The ending was pretty much perfect.
    Thick with captains hunting her down, some returned and just the right combination to finally bring Talion down. But then you can just dust yourself and go out again.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Honestly, WB are just trying to race Microsoft to the bottom of "How to throw every piece of goodwill away before your major sequel/release comes out".

They can't even get a simple charity auction right, which should have only endeared goodwill.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Bundlestars sent out another 30% coupon to VIP customers.

Tempting as it is to jump back on this deal I'm going to wait. Not sure if I can give my code to anyone else or it is account bound.

• Options
    How do you become a vip member?

• Options
    Honestly not sure, I guess I've ordered enough/spent enough on the site? If you want me to PM my code you can try it to see if it works.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Karoz wrote: »
    Honestly not sure, I guess I've ordered enough/spent enough on the site? If you want me to PM my code you can try it to see if it works.

We can certainly try, unless you want to use it for something else.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    May want to check your emails, Green Man Gaming is sending out vouchers for 35% off the base game, 30% off the silver edition.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    yeah, $33 bucks for pre-order of a $59 game seems to say they're not hitting their numbers...

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm trying to think of a game that got hit this hard by anti-hype once microtransaction bullshit was announced and I'm coming up empty. The Xbox 360 version of Katamari Damacy, maybe?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It was on a much smaller scale in terms of publicity, but Company of Heroes 2 faced something similar.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of a game that got hit this hard by anti-hype once microtransaction bullshit was announced and I'm coming up empty. The Xbox 360 version of Katamari Damacy, maybe?
    Payday 2? I feel like that had a bunch of similar backlash. Though it had been out a while when they flipped that switch.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Was there continuing backlash over that orc slayer DLC? I just got an email from steam refunding the purchase because apparently it's now a free DLC.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Was there continuing backlash over that orc slayer DLC? I just got an email from steam refunding the purchase because apparently it's now a free DLC.

Weird. I wonder if WB just decided to donate a lump sum to the charity.

EDIT: Appears so.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/middle-earth-shadow-of-wars-charity-dlc-will-be-free-for-everyone/

Probably the best solution for all involved at this point.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Shadow of War mobile game is out, and it's 100% a star-rated character collection mobile game. Grind out stupid resources to upgrade your heroes until you hit a wall, and then pay us money to make the process less painful for awhile.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    That isn't even the shitty part. Your party is all the usual people. Talion, Boromir, etc. You get one of you can bring with you and he has to.be summoned.

Way to miss the point.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Why doesn't Monolith just say "These are a WB mandate" when asked about the microtransactions in Shadow of War? Instead of coming up with super weak and flimsy justifications as to why they're in the game, why not just say that they're in there at the publisher's request. I can't imagine the developers getting in some kind of trouble with WB for that.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Because it's probably more complicated than that. The team probably acquired members that were recommended by WB and then planted the ideas or pushed them forward. Also, not all developers are against micro transactions so it may even have come from the developers, and saying 'we were forced' does a lot of negative things to morale and it creates splits within the team, an us vs. them mentality.

If you have worked on a team before, you should know how things get pushed and then everyone goes along and it's really hard to be the voice of dissent when you got a few people pushing hard that have major influence. People just want to keep their job, do their job, and go home. Consequently, the "passionate" folks pushing agendas typically get their way. (I put passionate in quotations because that term has been usurped by business and corporate lingo).

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Why doesn't Monolith just say "These are a WB mandate" when asked about the microtransactions in Shadow of War? Instead of coming up with super weak and flimsy justifications as to why they're in the game, why not just say that they're in there at the publisher's request. I can't imagine the developers getting in some kind of trouble with WB for that.

They would totally get in trouble with WB for that. It's al part of the PR dance, only in this case the subject matter is pretty damn hard to spin.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    It's called don't bite the hand that feeds.

• Options
    Yeah, throwing your parent company under the bus is considered bad form, and depending on the company, could result in them terminating your ass.

• Options
    And now I'm just confused, GMG sending out codes for 36% off the standard and silver editions.

Just scrolling up they had slightly worse but already the best deals less than a month ago.