As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Middle Earth: [Shadow of War] Micro-Transactions to be tossed into Mount Doom!

• tessarjitessarji Registered User regular
    It sounds like you might be visualizing the goal of the game to be "kill all the orcs in middle earth". It's not and can't be done. The story goal is to get revenge for your family.

Focus on destroying the last two warchiefs and doing story missions, or just ignore that for now and do the bonus missions/collectibles for XP. The power curve is ridiculous in this game, as you unlock new talents you'll soon find any number of normal orcs to be just meat in the grinder, and even 3-4 champions at once will be doable.

Running away happens a lot in the beginning, it's very easy to get out of any bad situation just by showing the orcs your boot bottoms.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Yeah, after dying over twenty times to one warchief (no joke) I decided to ignore the main story mission and went after every collectible and side-mission I had available. The allowed me to unlock the third and eventually fourth tier of abilities and my guy is now able to take on two Captains in a single fight and have a decent chance of survival. The "sword" missions are still all but impossible for me - I'm just not very good at fighting games. On the other hand, as I'm a slow, methodical player, the dagger missions are super simple for me.

I'm still annoyed by the fact that I can go out and kill a bunch of captains/warchiefs and then half of them are back up and fighting again in five minutes. There was one captain I killed like five times yesterday and that sucker still has a spot on the army screen! And if I make some stupid mistake and die stupidly, the half that don't auto-resurrect increase in power by three steps and new orcs appear to take their place. I stand by my "pulling weeds" analogy.

26904.png
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    I'm still annoyed by the fact that I can go out and kill a bunch of captains/warchiefs and then half of them are back up and fighting again in five minutes.

I'm sure the orcs feel the same way about you.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    New article on PC Gamer of experience playing the Shadow of War demo.

Highlights: spider mercenaries and Orc Bard Captains.

Nice run through on a fortress assault

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvPowMVnTsk

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I should really go back and just finish the first one

I got hung up on a goblin that was immune to everything but caragors except he was in a place that you literally can't get a caragor to

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    If you recruit a gang of your own orcs you can get them to murder him instead.

Think that works.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe

Think that works.

I tried that but nothing

I mean it was absolutely a fluke and I 100% could have ignored him but I was dead set on killing ever single one of trhe "important" enemies to I was way more frustrated than I should have been by that

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

Think that works.

I tried that but nothing

I mean it was absolutely a fluke and I 100% could have ignored him but I was dead set on killing ever single one of trhe "important" enemies to I was way more frustrated than I should have been by that

just tell yourself that you're leaving that one guy alive so he can tell others about how you killed all his mates.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Think that works.

I tried that but nothing

Have you tried abusing the flurry? If he had combat mastery, he'll deflect your finishers, but if you never "finish" you combo you can basically stunlock him. Stun, flurry 7 attacks and stun again.

Undead Scottsman on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Did you hear? Ugrak the Demolished butchered Kithrak'k the Unholy and Gorbank the Slaughtered talked hot mess about Jorinth the Ravager!
    Heard it down the water cooler I did.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Did you hear? Ugrak the Demolished butchered Kithrak'k the Unholy and Gorbank the Slaughtered talked hot mess about Jorinth the Ravager!
    Heard it down the water cooler I did.

dies of poisoned water

edited May 2017
    88 minutes of gameplay demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oDKSxOllqM

Karoz on
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »

so there's a theory that this might be to tie the release of the game with the release of Scorpio. its going to be a Play Anywhere title, and MS did explicitly call it out as "come to Project Scorpio"(as well as Xbone). maybe a bit of a stretch, but can understand as why it might be seen as a hint to the consoles release.

here's Windows Central on the idea:
    Of course, given the fact that it has already been confirmed that Shadow of War is "coming to Project Scorpio", speculation might lead one to assume the delay is to more closely line up with the next Xbox's holiday launch. There's no way to know for now, but we're expecting to learn of Scorpio's release date at E3 later in June, so we'll know soon enough.

and them positing on a possible link between the games release and the console release just a few days ago.
    Microsoft has only offered a "Holiday 2017" advisory for the console's launch date, placing it anywhere between October and December. Given Microsoft's partnership with Shadow of War, the first third-party game formally announced at 4K for Scorpio; there have been some strange rumors flying around that Project Scorpio would launch much earlier specifically for that game, somewhere around August. I'm fairly confident these rumors are false.

a lot easier to push a games release back a couple of months than it would be the bring a hardware release forward.

all speculation of course, but with E3 less than two weeks away 'tis the season for just that.

I don't mind a game as massive as this one having more time to get rid of bugs either. I don't recall any game breaking (or any other kind) of bugs in the original - outside of hearing of decapitated orcs coming back to life when they shouldn't.

As long as the sequel has the smooth gameplay the first one did, I'll be quite happy.

yeah, two months isn't anything to get bent out of shape i feel, no matter what the reasoning. it'd be nice to get it sooner, but an extra few weeks suggests that they just want to give it some extra polish* not that the initial date given was unreasonable.

*assuming that the delay is entirely due to development issues and not my Scorpio speculation.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I haven't been following MS news at all, is the Scoripo getting its own games?

Even if you cant run a One game on the Scorpio, why the launch for 3 great platforms with great audience numbers for a brand new one with a small audience. It makes no sense. Well, unless MS brought a dumo truck full of money to the studio for the prestige of having this game be a launch title.

Like the PS4 Pro, games can be optimized for running on Scorpio, but will work just fine on the One.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Everything I see about this suggests that it is a misbranded 40k game involving some eldar, feral orks and a terribly confused inquisitorial death squad trapped on a forsaken backwater.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Everything I see about this suggests that it is a misbranded 40k game involving some eldar, feral orks and a terribly confused inquisitorial death squad trapped on a forsaken backwater.

I guess because Tolkein never saw fit to give the orcs any personality? A modern game where the opponent is completely generic would be a pretty hard sell.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular

Would love a 40k SoM.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    To be fair, I'm not sure Tolkien ever envisioned the orcs as cockney.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    glimmung wrote: »

I guess because Tolkein never saw fit to give the orcs any personality? A modern game where the opponent is completely generic would be a pretty hard sell.

I wouldn't quite go that far-- reading the Orc dialogue from the Minas Morgul chapters gives a little insight into their rivalries-- but they are unredemably evil. Peter Jackson's portrayal is quite accurate. There are no Good orcs, just some that are slightly less nasty than the rest.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Geneeic all evil happens a lot in games, and movies as well. American Sniper is bad about this, the "enemies" were portrayed like Tolkien orcs, just there to get killed.

LotR made up for it in other ways but a lot of media does. It's always boring so I'm glad these games don't.

Are you the magic man?
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Frei wrote: »
    Geneeic all evil happens a lot in games, and movies as well. American Sniper is bad about this, the "enemies" were portrayed like Tolkien orcs, just there to get killed.

LotR made up for it in other ways but a lot of media does. It's always boring so I'm glad these games don't.

To be fair, few World War II movies did either. And that's what they are, movies. A movie or story does not always need a sympathetic antagonist.

I think that fact that you're supposed to like *YOUR* Orcs has the potential to be a big part of the story of Talion's fall and corruption. Oh, see, Orcs aren't BAD they just need someone like ME to lead them! Then we can conquer all our enemies and crush Sauron and then ... etc.

You're supposed to be having fun running around, killing Orcs and getting stronger. It's rad, and you're doing some short term good. But in the Tolkein verse, such methods always eventually collapse in on themselves. Those who play with the Devil's toys will be brought by degrees to wield his sword...

manwiththemachinegun on
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Well, yeah, the downfall is completely apparent once you finish the first game. Everyone knows what happens when you fuck with power and rings of power. In regards to movies, yeah, movies are movies? I sussed that out.

And yeah stories don't NEED anything, It's just more interesting when the bad guy is more than just generic evil. It's easier to write that way but fairly boring since nothing is pure good or pure evil outside of fiction. It works for LOTR because the orcs are puppets and many of the other antagonists have depth. Sympathetic doesn't need to factor in necessarily to make it more than one dimensional, though.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
    new story trailer.

https://youtu.be/oQ7aLU6rHLk

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    So is the DLC for SoM any good? Would you say it's worth playing or is it skipable?

JusticeforPluto on
    So is the DLC for SoM any good? Would you say it's worth playing or is it skipable?

Lord of the Hunt is more of the same but with a few new animals and war chiefs with animal motifs. Fun but skippable.

The Bright Lord was pretty dang good though doing more of the same but as Celebrimbor who plays a bit differently and is much more fragile than Talion. Also gives us a much better final boss fight IMO.

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

Lord of the Hunt is more of the same but with a few new animals and war chiefs with animal motifs. Fun but skippable.

The Bright Lord was pretty dang good though doing more of the same but as Celebrimbor who plays a bit differently and is much more fragile than Talion. Also gives us a much better final boss fight IMO.
    Man, I keep forgetting to go back and play those. That dwarf buddy in Lord of the Hunt was cool IIRC, and you can do some real dirt with the stealth caragors.

https://youtu.be/n0wP-GdrSEk

ok so this is pretty fucking cool. play through the original, create a nemesis and they'll carry over into Shadow of War. i was already giving serious consideration to replaying SoM but i think this clinches it.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    The fact the system will automatically pick your worst nemesis and best follower is a bonus.

The fact the system will automatically pick your worst nemesis and best follower is a bonus.

I have no nemesis in this play through

All orcs either die or serve me

Or serve me then die

I ain't picky

Or serve me then die

I ain't picky

well that's the great thing about the Nemesis system, how many times have you been sure you'd finished an Orc off only for that bugger to reappear and try to take you one for a 2nd/3rd/4th time?

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Yeah part of what that made it great, literally one orc came back three times. Burnt, stabbed,killed in explosion.

Fourth time had to recruit him. Just wouldn't die.

Wraith260 wrote: »

Or serve me then die

I ain't picky

well that's the great thing about the Nemesis system, how many times have you been sure you'd finished an Orc off only for that bugger to reappear and try to take you one for a 2nd/3rd/4th time?

I kinda always finish them because head pop

I might have some on the first map from before I got brand maybe?

But like seriously half of my playtime this play through was sneaking around and carefully branding every single orc on the board and making sure none of them died to random orcs trying to fight on my side against an entire stronghold

Maybe I'll do a regular play through after I finish up the DLC

Wait so is the Nemesis update supposed to be free because I seem to be missing it