As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFBE] FFBE Story Event. Spend tons of NRG, get modest amounts of materials.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    @PiptheFair

"Once his Global HP is depleted, Ifrit's level will go up and a few hours will be added to the timer. If the entire server is unable to kill it before time runs out, its level will decrease by one and the timer will reset."

That's not so bad.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    oh that is way better

otherwise getting anywhere near the moogle will be impossible for most people

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Hmm. Running the Cactuars totally dry could get Ling to 92 and another not horrible go with her, but only got it down to about 75% that time and it was a much longer battle, so a lot more chances for things to go seriously wrong. Which they eventually did.

Hmmm....

Being able to clear the fire debuff would be great, but then you have to reapply all your buffs, and I'm pretty sure that I don't come out ahead there unless I do something wacky like run Ramza to cover all buffs, and a dual wield full breaker in addition to Bushido.

Also, I'd need to get Bushido.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    edited March 2017
    I wonder how high the level will get for Ifrit. If we get high enough for 150-200% bonus, that'd be cool.

Also they need the special dungeons every weekend.

Magus` on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm just hoping I can get the free Yshtola, really

And then that I draw enough uncap mats to uncap her and Minfilia

Granted I have Refia and Luka already, Yshtola is still pretty great and Minfilia is kind of an interesting super green mage

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    If he's not leveled up when the counter expires, he goes back down 1 level.

edited March 2017
    I take it back, ELT Ifrit is kicking my ass consistently now. I think my Ling just needs to be reapplying her 45% ATK/MAG break every turn, to ensure it never falls off. And whoever has my Barfira needs to be applying that every other turn. I just can't build a good chain off of my Noctis + Friend Noctis, so it takes so many turns to whittle him down that something will eventually go wrong.

Edit: Ha, just pulled Minfilia from the raid summon. I'd be excited about that if I'd stocked the Gigantaurs from the Type-0 event =/

Rius on
    Rius wrote: »
    If he's not leveled up when the counter expires, he goes back down 1 level.

Wiki says one level.

edited March 2017
    Welp, I had Focus and Embolden up on my whole party, plus Barfira, plus Ling's 45% ATK/MAG break on ELT Ifrit, and he just smoked everyone but Cecil from 100-0 in a single turn. Totally fucking ridiculous.

Rius on
    Rius wrote: »
    Welp, I had Focus and Embolden up on my whole party, plus Barfira, plus Ling's 45% ATK/MAG break on ELT Ifrit, and he just smoked everyone from 100-0 instead of Cecil in a single turn. Totally fucking ridiculous.

Reddit is putting forth the theory that his damage is bugged.

edited March 2017
    Oh I would not be fucking surprised. It was his turn to re-up the fire res debuff, and that's a strong magic attack, but I'd already lived through three or four iterations of that turn with the same suite of buffs up as prep.

Edit: Oh, Ifrit's chance to resist break debuffs is unique to global's version of this event, too? Fuck everything, I'm gonna do the Escape trick to get the rewards before they "fix" that, and then just run Pro for the rest of the event. I've already wasted enough time, I don't want to miss Y'shtola.

Rius on
    I feel pretty sure you'll get her by the summon. You'll have a lot of pulls.

ifrit can nuke your party in pro even

dude is bonkers

also I really hate going into a fight with my TM team

forget to change over way too much

edited March 2017
    I'm not convinced there's a damage bug. Usually, when the party wipes, it's because a break didn't stick despite being double over-applied, but someone survives with at least a tiny bit so I can actually check and see that. Still, I do see some weird spikes where Cecil will be taking 400, 500, 400, 400, 600, 2000, 400... So I'm not convinced that there isn't an issue either.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    There's no damage bug from my experience. Lately I've just noticed Breaks can sneakily not be applied which leads to a round of panic of why are people dying.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited March 2017
    EG4MM49.png

Ha HA! Fuck you, you giant fucking fuck lizard! Good for a whole 1300 coins.

Very strong friend Noctis at 900 Atk, but I was able to stay stabilized for the most part. Semi-relying on Ling for her stronger breaks was the key. She was able to keep Ifrit magic broken the whole way through, which made a huge difference. Warp Breaks generally overwrote the Atk break though. Her innate fire resistance was also pretty important, as Luneth died any time he got anything more than slight focus. Always tried to refresh buffs early, especially Barfira.

It's going to be a pain in the ass doing this 10+ times a day. Probably end up just running Pro for the most part.

E:
    And of course, the very next try, Ling's Mag break and the backup safety (2x) Thunder Flask both fail to proc and I barely make it to about 25%

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    Finally managed to pull a Yshtola! ... But I need 2 more of the special items to awaken her to 6 stars so I will have to continue grinding Ifrit.

steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • BlehBlehAmigaBlehBlehAmiga Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    After getting in the routine of it Elite isn't so bad, but can still have an unlucky run where breaks all get resisted. Usually it's recoverable but sometimes not. Have had a few times where Refia died 2 turns in a row and was still able to pull it out, other times no breaks stick and there's no helping it.

I finally pulled the star motes to get Minfilia to 6* and put her in instead of Luneth, who wasn't doing much damage and died a lot anyway even with extra hp/force armor/etc. I didn't want to craft a flame armor just for him. I use her more for the 100% attack to friend Olive/Noctis and get done pretty fast compared to before assuming no surprises. Have a decent team though

Cecil - Curaja/Barfira, jeweled ring, dual cast
    Minfilia - Fire Res/100% atk to olive/noctis
    Refia - Refia stuff, dual cast, imperil for Noctis' holy if I have the time.
    Ling - Break every turn except Bushido after Plume.
    Noctis - Warp break unless mag is resisted from Ling then thunder flask, jeweled ring
    Friend Olive - just shattering/true.

After plume, dual cast curaja from Refia first unless health is kind of high. Then bushido. Then dual cast barfira/curaja from Cecil to heal it back (or fire res from minfilia). Next 2 turns pretty easy then just do the plume turn again.

I don't mind farming it at this point, just takes so long to blow through orbs/arena orbs/energy in the morning, especially if I want to try to keep my JP one going too. 1-2 turning Pro is a whole lot faster.

BlehBlehAmiga on
    ffbe ign: Kas
    edited March 2017
    Here's my setup/strategy that I've been doing fantastically with this morning. I'm able to consistently take him down in about 8-10 rounds, which means I don't need to worry about sustain and only have to deal with one plume while debuffed to fire.

CoD: Diabolos, Jeweled Ring, Barfira (50% fire resist)
    Ling: Odin (50% fire resist)
    Refia: Carbuncle, Flame Shield (Equip H Shield), Minerva Bustier, Ring of the Lucii, Dualcast (80% fire resist)
    Noctis: Ifrit, ALL THE TMRS, (875 Atk, 50% fire resist)
    Cecil: Golem, Flame Shield, Flame Mail, Red Ring, Jeweled Ring Barfira (115% fire resist)
    Friend: Noctis w/Ifrit & Excalibur (> ~825 Atk)

Pretty much all other materias and accessories are HP focused. Muscle Belts, HP +10%, etc.

Obviously, my Refia and Noctis are powerhouses, but my Refia is rarely in any danger at all. The failure point is Ling. It's imperative that it stays Atk/Mag broken the entire fight. Ling needs to be using Daunting Step basically every turn. A dual wielding Noctis all but guarantees a break on either Atk (Warp Break) or Mag (Thunder Flask), so he can cover what her Daunting Step misses. Generally though, his resist to break effects isn't high enough to cause two in a row to miss. The beauty of this, though, is that my Noctii are strong enough to be able to do at least ~30% of his HP in the first three 'safe' turns before things start to potentially get really messy, which even if I then immediately wipe, guarantees better coin output than Pro. If you have something comparable to my Noctis but in a Firion or Gil flavor, I feel like it could work for you too, although will be a little more unstable since you don't have two backup breaks if Ling whiffs on her things. You might also be able to substitute a tanky Full Breaker like WoL for Ling, but he'll need fire resist stuff, and again, more unstable since the breaks are for less so you'll be taking more damage. Alternatively, a DW Ramza could cover Mag breakdown pretty solidly.

Round 1:
    Cecil: Focus
    CoD: Barfira
    Ling: Daunting Step
    Refia: Embolden
    Noctii: Warp Break

If the Mag portion of Ling's break misses, a Noctis will have to use Thunder Flask. It's probably best both do just for the simple chain and to not overwrite the strong Atk breakdown from Ling, assuming that connected. If it didn't, one will need to Thunder Flask, one Warp Break.

Round 2:
    CoD: Imperil
    Refia: Curaja/Esuna
    Cecil: Unicorn Horn

Two things here. Since neither of my Noctii are necessarily immune to paralyze, it's quite likely that someone's going to have to unparalyze them every round. CoD's Return can handle both and is what we'll be mostly relying on going forward, but we want to be cranking out damage still, and Imperil will provide a nice boost going forward. Since fire wasn't debuffed for that opening plume, we shouldn't be too badly hurt, so between Refia and Cecil (using a Unicorn Horn), we should be able to get by with just one Curaja. If not though, use Return and let the healers focus on healing. Cecil can Provoke here to take the heat off people, but it's not hugely important. The other thing is that you want Ling to go last, after Noctis has used Warp Break. That makes sure the strongest break is applied, and refreshing it every turn means she'd have to miss twice in order for it to fall off.

Round 3+:
    CoD: Return/Barfira/Imperil
    Refia: Healing/Embolden/Barfira
    Cecil: Healing/Barfira/Focus

From here, you'll have to play every round by ear. CoD's in charge of curing the Noctii of their paralysis, but if nobody needs it, refresh Barfira or Imperil. Refia's in charge of healing, but if Cecil can handle it, refresh Embolden. Remember that Focus only lasts 3 turns to Embolden's 5, so Cecil should sneak in a refresh when he can. If the battle's going to go longer than ~10 turns, it would be good for a Noctis to use Cover around here, but I generally wait until after the second plume, and even then, only if things are looking a little ugly. I want to absolutely secure that 30% damage to make sure I get at least Pro-level coins. One can also use Link is Embolden falls off and you can't get a spare Refia turn to refresh it. Ling dances the one dance she knows. Moving her off it is tempting fate, but again, Noctis can cover the break to a lesser extent with Thunder Flask. If something goes wrong though, it's because she failed the Mag break portion twice in a row, so if you suddenly take massive damage, check Ifrit to see if the Mag break is gone. If anybody dies, the Full-Life (either from Noctis or Refia) MUST be followed by a Barfira or they're just going to die again immediately. Never let the Atk/Mag breaks fall. Never let Barfira fall. Keep your Def/Spr buffed as much as you can.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • BlehBlehAmigaBlehBlehAmiga Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    It's imperative that it stays Atk/Mag broken the entire fight. Ling needs to be using Daunting Step basically every turn. A dual wielding Noctis all but guarantees a break on either Atk (Warp Break) or Mag (Thunder Flask), so he can cover what her Daunting Step misses. Generally though, his resist to break effects isn't high enough to cause two in a row to miss.

Haha you'd think. I'm pretty sure Ifrit only seems to go apeshit if the attack break misses. Mag break is important but if you are buffed and removed his debuff, you don't take all that much damage from mag/plume (plume damage is prior to debuff). I just had a first round where Ling's atk break missed, and warp break missed 2x from Noctis. With Minfilia's resist plum didn't do much at all but his physical AE's killed 3 people. Was almost able get back into it but, was slowly getting underwater then breaks missed again and was toast. So silly. I've been using friend Olives because I can finish it inside 5 turns usually but might switch to another Noctis just to get 5x attack break chances, even if it takes a little longer.

ffbe ign: Kas
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Where's a good place to take my Greg to level him up?

It's day two of this event, and I'm already at 28 Thancreds.

Please. Stop.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

That train exploration is pretty good to grind for XP.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Looks like Timber Tracks Exploration is the new hotness for Unit Exp if you don't mind the time investment needed to run back and forth until random encounters stop. Other than that there should be a cactuar dunes weekend coming up soon.

ArcTangent wrote: »
    It's day two of this event, and I'm already at 28 Thancreds.

Please. Stop.

I'll take your extras, I'd love to upgrade my 10% ATK materia.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    How many unit slots do people have, anyway? I'm at 100 now and constantly feel like I'm bumping up against it.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I'm at 300 and struggle to keep order.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited March 2017
    200, although I'm usually around 150-170 or so. I've completely abandoned the free FP summon units though and try not to hoard cactuars if I can help it.

I instantly sell garbage units that I'll never use like Fran, Penelo, Bedile, etc, and I'm pretty sure I could ditch at least 50 more that I don't really know why I'm holding onto, if not closer to 100.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    edited March 2017
    Heh, I finally grew some balls and killed ELT Ifrit. almost 15k points/1500 coins is way better than 5k/500, I'll say that much. Don't think I'll want to be doing this every hour, but whenever my 939 ATK Noctis friend shows up I'll give it a shot.

I basically copied your setup, ArcTangent, so thanks for posting that up earlier. I was focusing too much on the wrong things; this attempt went very smoothly. 100% uptime of ATK/MAG breaks and Barfira are the whole ballgame.

Edit: I should point out that CoD has Protectga which suits in a pinch if you can't Embolden, and the Noctii have single target Barfire if you can't renew Barfira (say, if you had to rez CoD).

Edit: as soon as my Olive set of TMs is done farming (they're at 25% now) I'm going to throw in my 2 Charlottes and my 2 Ludmilles. I want a second Dualcast for Cecil and an Equip H. Shield for Refia pretty badly now.

Rius on
    edited March 2017
    I've been able to relatively handily clear it with what I posted using a friend Noctis around 725 Atk, but it does usually mean that the Noct twins are out of MP unless I spent a turn to put up Cover at some point, since it takes generally 10ish turns instead of 8 or 9. It doesn't make a huge amount of different between 3 plumes and 3 plumes plus a few extra turns though. You could probably buy yourselves some extra options by making sure both Noctises are immune to paralyze at the cost of a little bit of damage, but eh.

There has been at least one awful one too where a Mag break did fall off and... a lot of damage came in that ended up killing Ling. I was able to recover, but it took about 2 turns of focusing on stabilizing instead of damage. Still was definitely past the 240 coin threshhold when it happened though, so *shrug*

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    Finally got around to starting my TM farm after that last pull

Working on Greg, Zidane, Cecil, Shine, and Chizuru first

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Yea, the initial MAG break not sticking isn't scary when everyone who isn't Elza has 100% Fire resistance for that first Radiant Plume (Elza gets one-shot if MAG break doesn't land, and takes ~3600 damage if it does). But if ATK doesn't land, I have to pray to the gods that he doesn't do 2 Vulcan pulses or I'm going to lose people.

Equip Heavy Shield was the best 10% Moogle I've ever spent. Refia thanks me every day.

Characters
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    This trial has convinced me that after Olive is decked out I need to farm all 5 of my Ludmilles and combine to get two dualcast. There have been so many times where one extra heal or the ability to cast a heal+bar spell would have been so helpful.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I've pulled two more Zidanes. I'm going to get 5 DWs.

I like how my experience with ELT Ifrit changes depending on the friend unit I bring:

Olive: Chunks for 500-600k once his lightning debuff is applied, so I can beat Ifrit in ~6 turns. 1st turn is dicey, however, as Noctis needs to land the ATK debuff.
    Noctis: Nice middle-of-the-road. 1st turn is more manageable as I have a backup break attempt, but doesn't kill Ifrit as quickly as Olive.
    Marie: Slow going, but almost impossible to lose due to Barfiraga and extra healing. 1st turn is somewhat dicey for the same reasons as bringing Olive along.

Characters
    I finally got the "craft 100 equipments" and "craft 100 abilities" trophies, which got me enough for the recipe for Domination Ring, so I did some quick Phantom Forest explorations for Lightning Megacrysts and then threw two of them in the hopper. I am now out of Lightning Megacrysts.

Two copies of Thancred's TMR already done and starting on a third!

Because you can never have enough Thancreds.

ztrEPtD.gif
    I would like to do elt with any consistency

Oh well pro will have to do

PiptheFair wrote: »
    I would like to do elt with any consistency

Oh well pro will have to do

If you can get at least base 240 coins off it (about 30% of his life), then Elite is still better than Pro.

ztrEPtD.gif
This discussion has been closed.