As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFBE] FFBE Story Event. Spend tons of NRG, get modest amounts of materials.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yeah I think I'm going to hold off for a bit. I'm really hoping the Lightning damage thing is a bug and that physical will count. Throwing Black belt and thunder rod would help my setup a lot. Also I'd like to get through the story to pick up Man-eater (any little bit helps) and Odin.

EDIT: also with a 50% resist on breaks, is it worth even trying with Ling? Or would that turn be better spent refilling MP for others or her?

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    I've read a fair number of people successfully use her, as her MP recharge is pretty hefty, she is a good evade unit, and although the MAG break doesn't always stick, it sticks enough and her break is strong. Perhaps not an every-other-turn thing, but good in a pinch.

The only downside is that none of her dances count as an elemental attack, so you still have to seal elements.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Thought I'd try Gilgamesh for the heck of it. I ran:

Cecil with Golem - tank, backup Earth (Stone), tertiary heal, dispel

Firion with Chirijiraden, Sonic Knuckle and Water Blade - cover fire, air and water

Luka - main heal

Refia with Ramuh, Dualcast and Golem Staff - backup heals, covered lightning and backup light, and covered earth when main light was up

Brought my best Noctis friend who only had Excalibur as an elemental weapon. Used Cover for MP regen, auto attacked to cover light and could cover fire or lightning if the need arose (and it did a couple times).

I almost had him! I got him to the last threshold which, unfortunately, I botched. If it wasn't for the lightning element they added to him, I would've downed him with very little problems. Which annoys me, because they buffed him and it screwed me over. On the other hand, I kind of understand why. If a person like me, with only two TMs (Dualcast and Dualwield) and no 5* units (save for Yun, but he's not really useable in this fight) could beat it and get all three bonus missions? Might've beem too easy at thar point.

Even with Electrocute, I did pretty well. Noctis would use Cover to help my MP and I did end up having him Point Warp to restore his own MP a couple of times. I really was in no damger of running out of MP. Makes me real sad I'm not one of the chosen who were graced with a Noctis of my own. I did learn, though, that jump attacks apparently do not apply elemental effects, because Gilgamesh dropped Excalibur on me after Noctis landdd. Fortunately, Cecil took the hit and didn't give a shit about it

What ended up screwing me was that in my quest to have as much HP as I could get on my characters, I removed the Jeweled Ring that I usually have on Luka. I got hit by Electrocute after the 50% threshold and Luka got paralyzed, but I was able to pull it back by having Refia Esuna Luka, and then Luka cured everyone's Paralysis with Priestess Miracle.

It all fell apart at 30%, though. I had the worst kind of brain fart and miscalculated when the threshold was coming. I thought to myself, "Oh, 30%, just divide his max HP by 3". You know, instead of the actual calculation which is to multiply max HP by 0.3. That ended up with me miscalculating his threshold by ~33k. I was using Libra to keep track of his HP and when I was about to reach what I thought was the treshold, I wanted to force him into it when i was in an advantageous position to do so. But, since I was off by 33k HP, and he has massive Def and Spr, I did not hit the threshold. Then, I decided.to have Noctis Point Warp for MP in preparationfor the threshold, and I wound up getting hit by it kn the turn Noctis had jumped. Refia got instagibbed and then Noctis landed and I had no one to hit Light or Lightning. The end was quick. Everyone but Cecil was paralyzed and then Gilgamesh finished me off with a full compliment of elemental attacks.

I do want to try again, I was doing waaay better than I thought I would. I hate to say it, especially since he was so helpful with MP recovery, but mt Noctis friend only using Excalibur as an elemental weapon made it hard to control the elemental attacks. If he had been using any other element weapon in addition to his Excalibur, I could've used the Mighty Hammer on Firion, netting me permanent Lightning control with Water Blade.

I want to try again, but I'm not confident I could pull off the 5 man party for it. I may just say screw it and throw in Primm to lock down Fire and Thunder (Chirijiraden / Vernard with Thunder Saber, or Mighty Hammer with Flame Saber), because then I could do no items and Limit Burst kill with little problems.

• Options
    Gave it a try, with full health and embolden on, his first Bushido - Freedom killed 3 party members and it was all down hill from there. Otherwise I was able to seal everything and while DPS was slow, I wasn't having any issues. Not sure how to survive those thresholds so that I can still seal the next attack.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if this banner is the runner ups from the community choice

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

What would've won out over Agrias and Chizuru in the 4*s?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »

I would think that Chizuru and Refia got more 4* votes than Agrias and Snow. Though I can't remember if Refia was an option or not.

• Options
    I think one of my big issues was Rain's defense was pretty bad. He was getting hammered hard even with the X-Slashes. I used most of my arena tickets on WKN. Would putting something with Auto-protect on it help? I'd assume it couldn't be dispeled. Otherwise I'll just craft another muscle belt and pump his HP up.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Christ, I have 33,000 Phantoma and I have run into ONE nimbus and TWO bombs. Ridic.

EDIT: Literally my next run had a nimbus.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I enjoy that the previous trial is named "Parade of the Possessed" on the newfanged fancy banner, yet is still March of the Beasts inside.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Christ, I have 33,000 Phantoma and I have run into ONE nimbus and TWO bombs. Ridic.

EDIT: Literally my next run had a nimbus.

I have had about 8 bombs and no nimbus and I have earned about 60k~

snow is on this banner

so chiz and I can't even remember what other 4s there were

EDIT: oh yeah probably refia

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    also I hope to god noctis won, even though I know in my gut that claire will win which is butt salad

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Second time's the charm.

jQwTw6n.pngfFhwTBL.png

Apparently I sold my Trident at some point, and don't have the megacrysts to forge one, so I went without Water or Earth. Annoying, but Cecil was more or less stabilized with just random chance applying a little extra damage to other people who were incidentally healed by Cover/Curajas. On turns where Luneth countered, I used him to throw chocolates at Noctises to keep their MP up. Wasn't even going to try for the "No Item" requirement. I think I could do it, but it'd require slow rolling things pretty heavily and leaning on something besides Thunder Flask for the lightning requirement. If I ever have the need for that materia, I can get it with a full six man party and the same setup... just with another tank helping out.

Honestly not as annoying as I expected, but I've got pretty killer equipment/units. It's the threshholds that are brutal and always left the party on their last legs and needing a few turns to get genuinely stabilized again with a couple harrowing turns of everyone at 50-70% life as you juggle elements, healing, and reviving. I did pretty blithely just blow past them each time though, and never used Golem. Probably could've helped, but didn't have the gauge until well under 50%.

E:
    With that moogle, 15 trust left for Leon's TMR to really give Luneth a nice shot in the arm. And he doesn't even have his own Blade Mastery yet.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    I finished my first Excalibur! Aegis Shield will be done next as it turns out I had another Leo, so that's gonna top him off fast.

• Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'll probably leave the trial for the weekend. I wanna get 2% more TM on my Gilg and then stuff him with moogles so I can give Noct the gloves and stick a Maneater on him where DW was.
    It's not necessary but I figure I might as well have/use my newest toys on it.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Aaaaand now I have two Viking Axes, thanks Mercedes! Not 100% sure how or when I'll use them, but I'll find a way. I never kept any of my Lanis, but I haven't pulled one in forever so it's ok? vOv

• Options
    BlehBlehAmigaBlehBlehAmiga Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Did a few pulls, actually got 3 rainbows. 2 were still trolls ( queen, but pretty much done with event already, tm is nice i guess, and delita #3). Did get a Ramza though so whew.

BlehBlehAmiga on
    ffbe ign: Kas
  • Options
    Did a half pull hoping for Snow. Got a Shera. Not great. Decided I could spare a ticket for it. No Snow, but I did get a second Zidane. So that's.pretty good.

• Options
    Tried Greg again and made it to the 50% threshold without issue, but Bushido got Rain along with WKN. If he wipes, I'm pretty much screwed as he covers 4 elements. Is there anyway to revive a unit and let them still have their turn? Are there any auto-revive items?

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Only auto revives on GL are on Vanille (castable on someone), or Elza(self), Maxwell (self), maybe there was one more?

Try to get a def buff and/or mag break and/or golem up before the thresholds. If you have someone who tends to die, you could have them defend. Even if rain is covering important elements, if your other DPS can cross the threshold, you don't need to cover the elements on that turn. Also consider more hp/def/spr in lieu of some damage as long as you can just turtle and sustain.

BlehBlehAmiga on
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I don't think there are any re-raise capabilities yet.

Got my second dual wield last night, think I may try the Gilgamesh trial when I get home from work. Gonna take a bit of shuffling gear and abilities around to ensure survivability and I still have to grab and craft barstonra and possibly a couple more muscle belts.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm at 40K WP right now. I have all tickets and the 10K moogle. I think I'm going to try to get 100K as I really don't feel like TM farming.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm at 40K WP right now. I have all tickets and the 10K moogle. I think I'm going to try to get 100K as I really don't feel like TM farming.

don't you mean 30k moogle? is there really a 10k moogle this time? cause 10k might be worth doing...30k is too much of a grind at a time when Zelda is taking all my home time.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

don't you mean 30k moogle? is there really a 10k moogle this time? cause 10k might be worth doing...30k is too much of a grind at a time when Zelda is taking all my home time.

I'm sorry yeah it's the 30K moogle. Bah that's embarrassing.

• Options
    Only auto revives on GL are on Vanille (castable on someone), or Elza(self), Maxwell (self), maybe there was one more?

Try to get a def buff and/or mag break and/or golem up before the thresholds. If you have someone who tends to die, you could have them defend. Even if rain is covering important elements, if your other DPS can cross the threshold, you don't need to cover the elements on that turn. Also consider more hp/def/spr in lieu of some damage as long as you can just turtle and sustain.

Bushido - Freedom dispels before any attacks come, so def buffs besides Golem get you nothing.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/nLTFegbelUc?t=347

Mag break and dispel going into threshold, no golem, took barely any damage. Maybe it was just the mag break, but the dispel should remove the golem buff too if that were the case. Either way though, you can still defend with weaker units if another one crosses the threshold.

• Options
    edited March 2017

Mag break and dispel going into threshold, no golem, took barely any damage. Maybe it was just the mag break, but the dispel should remove the golem buff too if that were the case. Either way though, you can still defend with weaker units if another one crosses the threshold.

Time was 5:45-5:50 for first threshold, didn't come over in the embedding.

BlehBlehAmiga on
  • Options
    45 minutes? Ugh.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    My runs were like... 5-10 minutes, maybe? I'd definitely lean lower there rather than higher. Again though, good equipment (well, materia since equipment was geared for elementals and I have few elemental TMRs) and two Noctises plus a Luneth on the damage front. Not a full six man party though, so definitely could've been faster.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    My runs were like... 5-10 minutes, maybe? I'd definitely lean lower there rather than higher. Again though, good equipment (well, materia since equipment was geared for elementals and I have few elemental TMRs) and two Noctises plus a Luneth on the damage front. Not a full six man party though, so definitely could've been faster.

Ah, yeah at best I could have one Noctis. My first run was about 20 minutes long and I only made it to 50% health.

• Options
    Yeah I think the thing that threw me off was at the 80% threshold he did 'break' which let me defend or buff, then attacked. I'm guessing the 30 and 50% don't get the break.

• Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Yeah I think the thing that threw me off was at the 80% threshold he did 'break' which let me defend or buff, then attacked. I'm guessing the 30 and 50% don't get the break.

Break is something else entirely which can push the threshold attacks back a turn. It triggers once per battle after hitting him with a few water attacks.
    On the third turn that Gilgamesh receives water damage, Gilgamesh will only use Break on that same turn.
    Water attacks don't have to be used on consecutive turns.
    Gilgamesh will only use Break once the entire battle (e.g. it will not trigger on the 6th/9th/etc. water attack)
    This can be beneficial if you bring Dispel since it gives you a breathing room for a turn.
    If you attempt to get him below threshold and Break him on the same turn, he'll use Break instead, with threshold abilities delayed to the next turn.
    http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Gilgamesh's_Offensive#Water_Break

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Yea, it's the side benefit of sealing water consistently. You get a free turn, essentially, to recover as he skips a turn and it takes priority over thresholds.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    So I somehow had Gilgamesh down to like 20% and had to go into the doctor's office. After my appointment I went home and loaded up my emulator for TMR farm (forgetting I was mid fight with him on my phone) and was greeted by completion of Gilgamesh with the Genji Blade and Bushido Freedom for not using any items. Not really sure how that happened...

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Damn I flubbed my first try on Gilg, needed to slow down between 80-50% hp and point warp to regen MP on Noct. Got him down to 15% ish before I completely ran outta steam.

On the bright side I got a second Shine from daily.

Elementalor on
  • Options
    I was checking the Japanese update schedule and rolled my eyes at how another Type-0 event was up in the near future... except upon looking it up, it's another Mog grind event, and we've still got the TGCid and DQ grind events to get through first. So whew. Two monthsish off for that.

Next up, assuming they don't stall things with that player's choice banner for two weeks in a row of nothing new, should be an FFBE dungeon event and Eileen's banner. Unfortunately, she's the only notable thing on it. She's a monster up there with TGCid, but on earth and with spears (and an earth spear TMR). The rest of the banner is pretty garbage though. Not even decent TMRs (middling materias). It should also bring WoL's 6* (awesomeness) and Garland's (mehness in global). Maybe an upgrade to the Maze too.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    I was checking the Japanese update schedule and rolled my eyes at how another Type-0 event was up in the near future... except upon looking it up, it's another Mog grind event, and we've still got the TGCid and DQ grind events to get through first. So whew. Two monthsish off for that.

Next up, assuming they don't stall things with that player's choice banner for two weeks in a row of nothing new, should be an FFBE dungeon event and Eileen's banner. Unfortunately, she's the only notable thing on it. She's a monster up there with TGCid, but on earth and with spears (and an earth spear TMR). The rest of the banner is pretty garbage though. Not even decent TMRs (middling materias). It should also bring WoL's 6* (awesomeness) and Garland's (mehness in global). Maybe an upgrade to the Maze too.

eileen becomes worth chasing with her enhancements though, it's just like the cid banner and technically she is better than him until he gets his enhancements

but thank god for WoL and sadly garland is not gonna be anywhere near the s-tier he was in JP unless they change the global doublehand rules

• Options
    also, tgcid, eileen, and the players choice in a row is some cruel shit

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Did a half pull and got my second Shine. I'll take it.

• Options
    Second go through the trial got me all the rewards.
    DC Refia was huge since I didn't feel like sealing water at all. My guys were all pretty beefy, so as long as I had Cecil provoke up it didn't get hairy at all. Point warps before 50% were nice but I didn't really need them this time since I actually remembered to dispel Gilg after each threshold. Just needed to keep cover up and that was enough to power him down.

I can keep my Noct geared for the trial unless no one needs him. 734 ATK with Kazekiri, Excalibur and Man-Eater materia on Diabolos.

Pretty stoked since now my Noctis hits 900 ATK on Ifrit(Odin not leveled up yet).

This discussion has been closed.