As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] This guy, who I named "Brexit", did something stupid

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    To follow-up on something in the previous thread, I'll leave this link with title here

Jack Monroe wins Twitter libel case against Katie Hopkins
    Food writer and campaigner wins £24,000 from Mail Online columnist in row over tweets about damage to war memorial

PSN Fleety2009
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Mail had to fork out 150K for Hopkins last year over her defaming Syrian refugees, so it's nice that Hopkins is having to put her hand in her own pocket this time.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    She definitely had it coming to her, and no mistake

Vile excuse for a person

Bogart wrote: »
    The Mail had to fork out 150K for Hopkins last year over her defaming Syrian refugees, so it's nice that Hopkins is having to put her hand in her own pocket this time.

The Mail won't be paying it this time though, because this was all done in Twitter.

PSN Fleety2009
    That is exactly what I said!

So you did! I'm going to blame my 5 week old girl, who doesn't seem to sleep either in the day, or at night.

PSN Fleety2009

Yowzers. Apparently Hopkins didn't bother turning up during the four day trial, so I am denied a picture of her looking furious and definitely poorer as she leaves court.

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

• LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

Better then knives and ammonia. Truly Brixton is gentrifying.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    My favourite recent Liverpool news headline was:
    "He's BACK! Rollerskating PENSIONER GEOFF is making a comeback after being BANNED from skating in the city centre and given a fine!"

Roll on Geoff, roll on.

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    On first read I read that as Brexit not Brixton and just sighed.

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    The guardian reporting that article 50 could be activated by Tuesday if the government gets its way.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/10/article-50-could-triggered-tuesday-brexit-bill-passes

It astounds me that the country will be thrown headlong into this with basically fuck all preparation or debate. Surely somebody has to question why May and the brexiteers want this done so quickly? Personally I look forward to the inquiry many years from now analyzing the choices made and how it was a complete fucking omnishambles. I know that may be a pipe dream because the UK now effectively outlaws dissent and pro-EU sentiment but I can always hope.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    They want it done so quickly because thought and planning is the enemy of populism

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Owen Jones is a left wing columnist who was an early supporter or Corbyn but has since changed his opinion.

He's gotten a lot of abuse from Corbyn supporters. This is a Facebook post he made about taking a break from social media and says a lot about the state of Labour today.

https://www.facebook.com/owenjones84/posts/1283629501730559
    On a daily basis I have angry strangers yelling at me, on the one hand, that I'm responsible for the destruction of the Labour Party, and on the other, I'm a right-wing sellout careerist who's allied to Tony Blair and possibly in the pay of the Israeli government (and that I'm a Blairite cunt who needs to go fuck myself, and so on and so forth).
    I can't help look at some of it as distressing, not because of me, but because of the cause I love and have devoted my life to, the left, the movement that exists to rid society of injustice, exploitation and bigotry. I always wanted a left that was inclusive, welcoming, warm, that tried to convince the great mass of people who don't take a daily interest in politics that a better world was possible. If it is overtaken by a loud minority who are, increasingly, bound by utter hatred towards anyone deemed to deviate from their sanctity of their cause, then there is no future.

Owen Jones was not exactly someone who was saying the non-Corbynites were all Blairite Red Tories etc but he was hardly critical of what Momentum were doing, IRRC, so I can't have that much sympathy for him since it was his lot that got us into this shit situation in the first place

That people are calling Owen Jones of all people a right wing Blairite sell-out shows just how insane and toxic Corbyn's cult of personality has become.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I swear, Corbyn is what the left's version of a Trump actually looks like.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Except, as it turned out, Trump was electable.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Except, as it turned out, Trump was electable.

He does keep getting elected though. Just not to anything that matters.

Kezia Dugdale, Labour's Scottish leader, says she'll oppose the second referendum. Corbyn says he thinks it's fine.

Leadership!

Jeremy why

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Kezia Dugdale, Labour's Scottish leader, says she'll oppose the second referendum. Corbyn says he thinks it's fine.

Leadership!

Haha, this is the editor of Politics Home quoting a Labour MP

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Leadership!

It's an established pattern between the two. Dugdale will say something and when asked about it or at his own volition Corbyn will say something else entirely. The national party and Scottish labour are on different pages. They should sever ties and be done with it.

And people wonder why they don't vote for these clowns up here as much as they used to.

danx on
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Corbyn fucks up so consistently I can't but help suspect intention on his part. With the political machine surrounding him, it must surely be impossible to be this incompetent.

edited March 2017
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Corbyn fucks up so consistently I can't but help suspect intention on his part. With the political machine surrounding him, it must surely be impossible to be this incompetent.

That assumes he listens to anything those politics-focused blairite scum say.

shryke on
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular

Well, there's a recent template for incompetence leading to political success, and now it looks like Corbyn is doubling down on being the UK's Trump...

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »

Well, there's a recent template for incompetence leading to political success, and now it looks like Corbyn is doubling down on being the UK's Trump...

Wasn't there an article in the last thread that his strategy was literally to copy Trump?

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I don't get how this back dealing, two-faced, unelected, glitch-laughing mess is able to try and take us into Article 50 this week. Corbyn, for his complete incompetence, and her, need to be raked over the damn glass-shard covered coals by history.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Too bad whatever history does to them we'll still be fucked

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    To be fair 8 months ago Kezia said that Westminster shouldn't block a second referendum. Before reversing herself shortly afterwards.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Liam Fox denies sending tweet, in front of large screen displaying it.

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I think all these people trying to ape this or that aspect of Trump's political tactics really fail to take into account how singular a person he is.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I think all these people trying to ape this or that aspect of Trump's political tactics really fail to take into account how singular a person he is.

Yup.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    For which we must be...not thankful, but hopeful he truly is unique and his damage can thusly be contained.

Eh, I don't think he's particularly singular so much as he's in the right position and born into privilege.

About the only thing singular about him is apparently some kind of salesman charisma that works on some people apparently and a psychopath's complete lack of shame.

Other then that he's just a white supremacist born really rich in a country that really like's it some white supremacy.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Eh, I don't think he's particularly singular so much as he's in the right position and born into privilege.

About the only thing singular about him is apparently some kind of salesman charisma that works on some people apparently and a psychopath's complete lack of shame.

Other then that he's just a white supremacist born really rich in a country that really like's it some white supremacy.

You also need a news media that is awful in similar ways to ours.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I think possibly that was a green screen

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
This discussion has been closed.