As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] This guy, who I named "Brexit", did something stupid

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I thought they might hang on until most people are getting up (it's 2:45am here) but the Conservatives have already announced they're suspending campaigning tomorrow. I expect the other political parties in the UK will do the same.

*edit* Labour, Liberal Democrats and SNP have all suspended campaigning.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Seems the incident took place outside the arena in a public space directly outside the exit:

This makes sense, the security at the arena is very tight getting in from what I remember.

Christ this is awful.

@lonelyahava we only have a few mancs and I've seen they're okay. Thank you for asking.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2017
    Trickles of news now coming in. Chief constable giving a press conference, they think the bomber is among the dead.

tynic on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Death toll at 22 including children.

Attacker died at the scene and is believed to have had an improvised explosive device which he exploded.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    This is when I'm so glad for that Facebook check in safe thing, I have a friend who used to work there.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    This is when I'm so glad for that Facebook check in safe thing, I have a friend who used to work there.

Yeah, I presume nobody I know would have been in town on a Monday night but it's reassuring all the same to have people pop up letting me know they are alive.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Liiya I couldn't remember if you were in Manchester more, or if that was where university was. But I checked here before panicked checking on Facebook.

I'm glad all of us are ok.

Cripes I'm sorry. I don't know what else to say.

• Options
    Thanks love.

Yeah this is awful, there are no words.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    A very sad day. Those poor families; it defies comprehension what they must be feeling.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Went to bed last night thinking this was just a case of mass hysteria after a stage prop malfunctioned. I could not have been more wrong. Fucking hell.

Campy on
  • Options
    And now the Arndale Centre is being evacuated.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Several raids have taken place and another person has been arrested in relation to the bombing.

Youngest fatality is primary school age.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Fucking awful

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    In my view this is worse than the 7/7 bombings

There is no way this attack wasn't designed to specifically murder children. It was an Ariana Grande concert for God's sake.

• Options
    Eight years old. Good god.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Yeah, this was meant to kill children, because everything else is losing shock value.

How do you react to that? The primal parts of my brain are screaming 'complete annihilation', but that wouldn't even work.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    I feel so, so bad for the UK. This attack is horrific and those kids didn't deserve it. When I think about how this will be kicked back and forth as a hot topic for the rest of the election campaign I just cringe.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Yeah, this was meant to kill children, because everything else is losing shock value.

How do you react to that? The primal parts of my brain are screaming 'complete annihilation', but that wouldn't even work.
    By keeping perspective, honestly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/many-people-killed-terrorist-attacks-uk/

Terrorism is at a low point, even if fear of terrorism is up. There's more to fear from stairs, motorcylists and farm animals than terrorists these days.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The reaction we have is to not let this lure us into making stupid decisions which shed more blood and are essentially the goal with attacks like these.

We remain strong and compassionate, we mourn the losses, we come together and we rebuild. And we don't let them threaten us into shedding our better selves through fear or shock. That's how you respond.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    One Telegraph columnist has already suggested 'internment of thousands of terrorist suspects'. K*tie H*pkins demanded, literally, a 'final solution'.

• Options
    Ah yes. Internment. That solved the Irish Nationalist problem back in the 70s. Calmed the whole Northern Ireland situation right down.

Wait no it lead to three decades of bloody terrorist war, didn't it?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It is always surprising how quickly the rights of other people become secondary to assuaging someone's fears.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    One Telegraph columnist has already suggested 'internment of thousands of terrorist suspects'. K*tie H*pkins demanded, literally, a 'final solution'.

I refuse to even sarcastically 'awesome' that.

I hope cooler heads prevail in this time of tragedy. My heart goes out to those injured or killed and their grieving family and friends.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Look, she's just lost a load of money in a court case, nobody watched her TV show, and she lost her job at the Sun (I imagine it is only a matter of time when it comes to her radio show and her Daily Mail job); her job relies on her upsetting people so proposing a "final solution" right after a terrorist attack is par of the course when it comes to this dreadful troll.

The best thing to do is ignore her, unless she does something that can result in her losing another job or be investigated by the police.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Senna1 on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    It is always surprising how quickly the rights of other people become secondary to assuaging someone's fears.

Cowardice is easy for the weak and entitled.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    From the Guardian the bomber has been named:
    The man who murdered 22 people and injured 59 others has been named as Salman Ramadan Abedi, a Mancunian of Libyan descent.

link

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    Christ almighty. The Guardian is reporting that British security services have released the name of the bomber because they passed the information to US officials, who then passed it to the press when they'd explicitly been told not to.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Christ almighty. The Guardian is reporting that British security services have released the name of the bomber because they passed the information to US officials, who then passed it to the press when they'd explicitly been told not to.

I am shocked that the Trump administration would release privileged intelligence in order to get their brown people hate on.

So, uh, sorry about Trump there UK-ers. We'll officially shut up about WWII now.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/23/manchester-arena-attacker-named-salman-abedi-suicide-attack-ariana-grande
    Police confirmed the 22-year-old’s identity after officials in the United States passed it to news reporters, apparently against the wishes of the police and security services in the UK.
    JFC

why??

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2017

For fucks sake.

Link?

Liiya on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Apparently OpSec is something that happens to other people, in the Trump administration.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Apparently OpSec is something that happens to other people, in the Trump administration.

I don't want to be overly cynical but I doubt this was a failure of OpSec so much as an intentional choice to get a Muslim face on this tragedy as soon as possible for Trump's political gain.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I mean surely we will have to seriously consider passing on security information to America now if they can't keep things secret.

• Options

For fucks sake.

Link?

Autono Wally has it above

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean surely we will have to seriously consider passing on security information to America now if they can't keep things secret.

They probably already started that consideration before the weekend, because Trump is an incompetent boob who wants to be seen as one of the cool kids

• Options
    Those raids are where I lived less than a year ago. Where I was thinking of moving back to. That's disconcerting.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular

They probably gave it to the US for them to find leads and information from their intelligence services but it was shared with some official who couldn't keep it to themselves. Shocking but not surprising given the current US admin.

They can't really stop giving information like this to the US if they want access to their intelligence resources without it impacting security, no? They might chose to be more discreet in who they share intelligence with but they won't stop.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/23/manchester-arena-attacker-named-salman-abedi-suicide-attack-ariana-grande
    Police confirmed the 22-year-old’s identity after officials in the United States passed it to news reporters, apparently against the wishes of the police and security services in the UK.
    JFC

why??

Fuck them so hard! What a bunch of sorry excuses for human beings.

This discussion has been closed.