As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] 8th ed Incoming! New Profiles, new rules new stats quo.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I already have an old Flickr account. That's why I asked.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    uOi4FvF.jpg

I hate painting. Fuck this planet.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    My templars are special snowflakes with white color schemes for a reason.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    uOi4FvF.jpg

git gud.

Also, having painted what feels like a million of your duders, that scheme is a real ass ache.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Think I've just about settled on a Dark Eldar list that I'm mostly happy with;
    Battalion (+3 CP)

HQ
    Archon (Blaster + Agoniser)
    Succubus (Agoniser, +1 WS drug)

Troops
    5 x Kabalites
    5 x Kabalites
    5 x Wyches (Hydra Gauntlets, Blast Pistol + Power Sword, +1 S drug)

Elites
    9 x Hekatrix Bloodbrides (Hydra Gauntlets, Blast Pistol + Power Sword, +1 A drug)
    5 x Incubi
    9 x Trueborn (Phantasm Grenade Launcher, 4 x Blasters, Dark Lance, Splinter Cannon)

Fast Attack
    10 x Hellions (Stunclaw, +2 Move drug)
    6 x Reavers (Power Sword, 2 x Grav-Talons, 2 x Blasters, +1 T drug)

Heavy Support
    Ravager (3 x Disintegrators)
    Ravager (3 x Dark Lances)

Dedicated Transports
    Raider (Dark Lance)
    Raider (Disintegrator)
    Raider (Disintegrator)
    Venom (Two Splinter Cannons)
    Venom (Two Splinter Cannons)

Clocks in at 2000 points exactly, and basically turns 40K into a naval combat game. Unfortunately don't think I can easily sneak any more HQ choices in by lowering costs elsewhere, otherwise I'd run a second detachment for extra CP.

Burnage on
  • Options
    uOi4FvF.jpg

git gud.

Also, having painted what feels like a million of your duders, that scheme is a real ass ache.

You painted, like, 40 guys total. But yeah, it is an ass ache. Red and white over black is not the best idea.

My red base paint was fucked, so I've been doing layer red straight onto black. It's... painful. Going to take like 4-5 coats before I can even wash, then gotta layer it again.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    uOi4FvF.jpg

git gud.

You painted, like, 40 guys total. But yeah, it is an ass ache. Red and white over black is not the best idea.

My red base paint was fucked, so I've been doing layer red straight onto black. It's... painful. Going to take like 4-5 coats before I can even wash, then gotta layer it again.

Why are you doing this to yourself?!

Like, that is the most surefire recipe for burnout I have ever seen. Either don't prime black, or get a good coverage red, or both. Painting should be fun!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    GW's current reds are really good in my opinion. Especially compared to the old stuff from them.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    uOi4FvF.jpg

git gud.

Why are you doing this to yourself?!

Like, that is the most surefire recipe for burnout I have ever seen. Either don't prime black, or get a good coverage red, or both. Painting should be fun!

Because I hate myself
    honovere wrote: »
    GW's current reds are really good in my opinion. Especially compared to the old stuff from them.

With the foundation red it's usually not bad at all. As much as I hate paying for GW paints, and how they tend to dry out fast, they make some good quality stuff.

• Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    With that red and black, you could just stop there, and call it the Deadpool legion. Or company. What have you.

• Options
    Got a real big lot coming in the next week or two. If anyone is interest in anything on the list let me know. Give the PA bros a shot at stuff before it gets listed. Some is painted, some is primed, some is plastic. I've got pics of (almost) everything.
    Eldar
    3x Hemlock Wraithfighter
    2x Spiritseer
    2x Farseer (on foot)(1 N.O.S.)
    1x Farseer (on bike)
    15x Ranger
    1x Autarch (on bike)
    7x Warlock (on bike)
    1x Avatar of Khaine
    2x Wave Serpent
    10x Fire Dragons
    2x Wraithlord
    24x Harlequins
    6x Fire Prism / Nightspinner / Falcon
    15x Guardian Windriders

Tau
    1x Riptide (2 Drones)
    6x Broadside (12 Drones)
    10x Pathfinder Team
    4x Crisis Battlesuit
    1x Broadside Upgrade Kit (N.I.B)

Space Wolves
    1x Bjorn the Fell-Handed
    1x Murderfang

Dark Eldar
    5x Wyches
    6x Venom

Space Marines
    2x Land Raider
    1x Drop Pod
    2x Rhino
    3x Vindicator
    2x Dreadnought
    1x Librarian (Terminator Armor)
    2x Land Speeder
    1x Attack Bike
    1x Chaplain (Terminator Armor)
    1x Vulkan He'stan
    1x Marneus Calgar and Honor Guard
    35x Space Marines
    9x Scout (sniper rifles)
    10x Devastator Squad
    10x Terminators

Imperial Guard
    68x Cadian Shock Trooper + 2 Commissar
    3x Leman Russ Demolisher
    2x Sentinel
    4x Cadian Heavy Weapon Squad

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    @TraceofToxin

Do you still have any of those Mk III marines? I'm thinking of making them Iron Warriors.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    @TraceofToxin

Do you still have any of those Mk III marines? I'm thinking of making them Iron Warriors.

Yeah, I haven't listed any of the other prospero or calth stuff.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So did the Konor mission 4 tonight verse Genestealer Cults. Man that is a vicious army. The whole ambush deep strike is nuts. He rolled really well for it too so he was into my line turn 1. Well into my prince, my dread, a cultist squad and some normal csm who got consolidated into.

It was actually a closer game than it seemed due to the whole unending waves rules.

I actually wiped out pretty much his entire army by turn 3 but they came back on the board and I didn't have the fire power left to do it again.

I made a lot of mistakes from deployment on but my army was still a tough nut to crack.

Lessons learned:

1)Be more aggressive with the Prince even if I am suppose to defend. He is a god damn blender. With daemonic strength+elixir+claws he is putting out an insane amount of high str attacks that do 2 damage, hit on 2s and reroll 1s. Throw in death to the false emperor he will eliminate almost all targets instantly.

2)Spread out more and castle less. This mission made my brain get into the whole go in one corner. This made it easier for him to focus his attacks.

3)Noise marines are insane. Even in death they were mean. Killed 2 squads of gene stealer troops from death fire alone. I mean once he figured out how deadly they were he really focused on them but they are not easy to take down.

4)Use the helldrake to tie up tanks. Ignore the fliers. The thing moves 30" and can charge. This can take out ones big guns and doe a lot of damage in close combat to the things too.

5)The 5+ fnp spell is nuts and kept a normal csm squad alive for 3 combats verse genestealers.

Really a fun game and I learned a lot. The Emp Children ability though good still feels kind of meh. I think Alpha Legion verse a lot of enemies is where it is at.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I don't know why more people aren't using heldrakes. Basically a giant board-wide fuck you.

Cultists seem mandatory as a bubble/screening unit.

Princes with claws are definitely monstrous.

Sonic blaster noise marines do soooo much shooting, and their death shots are obnoxious.

• Options
    I've been running the chaos bastion recently and that thing is great. Stuff it full of long range shooting, deploy shooty dreads on top of it, and stick it somewhere in the back. 20 wounds and toughness 10 make shooting it a hassle, and meleeing it doesn't stop the contents from shooting them to hell and back. Not as great for objectives, but for these Konor missions it's been about kill points and staying alive, and having half your army behind a big damage sponge increases survivability considerably.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Badablack wrote: »
    I've been running the chaos bastion recently and that thing is great. Stuff it full of long range shooting, deploy shooty dreads on top of it, and stick it somewhere in the back. 20 wounds and toughness 10 make shooting it a hassle, and meleeing it doesn't stop the contents from shooting them to hell and back. Not as great for objectives, but for these Konor missions it's been about kill points and staying alive, and having half your army behind a big damage sponge increases survivability considerably.

I was actually just looking at those the other day and wondering why they weren't seeing play. From my reading of the rules, it looks like the occupants dont get to fire the weapons at their BS though?

[edit] Oh, it can only hold 1 unit, and dreads can't go on top of it because "on top" is "inside"

[double edit] Chaos bastions get T10, but go down to 4+ for it....

TraceofToxin on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    The emplaced heavy bolters are stuck at BS5+now, and they need to shoot the closest target if there's noone inside. The guys inside can shoot as normal from any point of the model.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    I haven't seen anything stopping someone from putting a unit on top of a building without actually being in the building, is that in the main book somewhere? There's an editor's note about putting stuff on top to keep track of what's in it, but I'd assumed that was for convenience. I could just still be in my 7th edition mindset. Are buildings considered stationary vehicles now for all intents and purposes and you can't pass over them or put units on battlements?

• Options
    I haven't seen anything stopping someone from putting a unit on top of a building without actually being in the building, is that in the main book somewhere? There's an editor's note about putting stuff on top to keep track of what's in it, but I'd assumed that was for convenience. I could just still be in my 7th edition mindset. Are buildings considered stationary vehicles now for all intents and purposes and you can't pass over them or put units on battlements?

They're not terrain. They're a unit. There's no rules for placing anything on top except for what it allows to mark as emplaced. If you say you can place units on top of a bastion, why can't you place units on top of a rhino?

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Yeah, buildings are no different from a monster, vehicle, or infantry in terms of game mechanics. Can't stack up units. There are no "battlements" in the same way there's no fire points anymore.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    So question folks.

Last night folks said you can only spend CP once per phase but what I can find is you can only use a stratagem once per phase. Like I can use my reroll and say my interrupt also during combat phase. They are different stratagems and thus can be used in the same phase but not again after using them.

I can't find anything that says you can only spend CP once per phase.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So question folks.

Last night folks said you can only spend CP once per phase but what I can find is you can only use a stratagem once per phase. Like I can use my reroll and say my interrupt also during combat phase. They are different stratagems and thus can be used in the same phase but not again after using them.

I can't find anything that says you can only spend CP once per phase.

Common misconception. Your interpretation is correct. You can spend as much cp as you want whenever. But in matched play, once the first round begins, you cannot use the same stratagem more than once per phase.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    You can spend all your CP in a single phase if you want to. Go nuts.

• Options
    That's what I thought. I will let the dudes know. Might as well not have them be shocked when they play at NOVA in a couple weeks.

Don't think it would of changed the outcome but it did mean some stuff survived an extra turn.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

I still have fluid, usable original Citadel paints, because motherfutcker they knew how to make bottles that sealed properly (although the lids had a tendency to age and shatter).

Without exception the yellows are all awful and totally unusable, and only Blood Red gives anything approaching acceptable coverage. And it was still shit.

Reds and yellows these days are amazing.

Ah-Mah-Zing.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Also it is kind of annoying there was a reason I built 8 cps into my army. Stacking stuff like veterans of the long war+excessive violence is part of the combo with like possessed or even just noise marines in close combat. The large amounts of extra attacks are a blender special.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    AoS but this guy is fucking amazing
    AoS-Blightwar-Image3ntoixs-e1503084982282.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Also new Chaos FAQ and EC and World Eaters officially get Noise Marines and Berserkers as troops

I was ok with them being Elites but I just want to take this opportunity to say suck it @TraceofToxin

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    That thing is awesome and will 100% be a 40k unit.

• Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Also new Chaos FAQ and EC and World Eaters officially get Noise Marines and Berserkers as troops

I was ok with them being Elites but I just want to take this opportunity to say suck it TraceofToxin

Yay! that changes my list a lot and gives me the ability to ignore cultist if I want.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    That thing is awesome and will 100% be a 40k unit.

Yeah, I suspect they plan some synchronized stuff for AoS/40k, since Death Guard codex is around the corner.

...which makes me hope Tzeentch gets some fun stuff when Thousand Sons arrive.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Slimux has so many great little details. At first I didn't even realize that he's carrying a giant hedge trimmer as a weapon.

• Options
    GW is really on the ball lately with the cross pollination between systems. Everything nurgle (probably) in that starter set is useable in AoS and 40k, and simultaneous nurgle release schedules mean people getting hyped up for one set of rules are more likely to check out the other side and start throwing money at that too. Then you have the smaller stuff like Silver Tower to use your guys in.

I just wish more AoS models had rules interchangeable with 40k out of the box. Bring back Squats as those sky-dwarves, put out some upgrade sprues with future weapons for stuff like the sigmar guys, heck the newer skaven kits have rat ogres with miniguns, gimme rules for those guys.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    GW is really on the ball lately with the cross pollination between systems. Everything nurgle (probably) in that starter set is useable in AoS and 40k, and simultaneous nurgle release schedules mean people getting hyped up for one set of rules are more likely to check out the other side and start throwing money at that too. Then you have the smaller stuff like Silver Tower to use your guys in.

I just wish more AoS models had rules interchangeable with 40k out of the box. Bring back Squats as those sky-dwarves, put out some upgrade sprues with future weapons for stuff like the sigmar guys, heck the newer skaven kits have rat ogres with miniguns, gimme rules for those guys.

Nothing is stopping you
    Only other people will question it and they know nothing

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Slimux has so many great little details. At first I didn't even realize that he's carrying a giant hedge trimmer as a weapon.

Why does the snail have drag brakes? :lol:

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

It's a plow

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

It's a plow.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Dayspring wrote: »

I was ok with them being Elites but I just want to take this opportunity to say suck it @TraceofToxin

Hey now, I'm okay with them being troops. I'm happy people still get to play the lists they like. If this stays as the only things that can become troops, then there's not an issue. I just feel like this goes against the current design philosophy of 8th.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    That Nurgle snail looks so goddamn goofy, I love it. I hope one of the chaosbros in my meta buys one so I can see it up close.

This discussion has been closed.