As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] 8th ed Incoming! New Profiles, new rules new stats quo.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm hoping 8th stokes my fire. I've been out basically since 4th, but now my wife is really gung ho about getting back in because she's wanting to paint. I just... I'm still burned out from before. It'd really be great if I got excited about the new edition just for marital bliss reasons.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    As someone who plays a very psyker heavy Grey Knight + Inqusition + Librarius Conclave army, I just hope they don't oversimplify spellcasting as they did in Age of Sigmar.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I'd be happy with Sigmar/6th style psykers and warlord traits where everything they have is included in their stat profile. Having to write out an excel sheet for psychic powers, traits, chaos boons, etc every time I play a game isn't much fun.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I hope thats one thing they really do simplify.
    When the 1k Sons came out I was looking at some lists online and it was all full of sorcerers and 8 million rolls on different psy tables and keeping track of so many different powers and urrrgggghhh book keeping isnt fun.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    J...jinx?

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Oh sure, get rid of the bookkeeping. I started playing in 6th but looking at prior editions where you just bought powers with points like any other wargear; that would be ideal. And, y'know, more balanced, since Invisibility would cost like 10x the points of the others.

But I want many, varied and strong psychic powers. I only glanced through the AoS rules but it seems like there are 3 or 4 spells total, that almost all the casters know, and most of them can only cast a single spell a turn, and none of their stats matter in the casting and most spells are basically a 50/50 to get off and...

It's far too simple for my tastes.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Oh sure, get rid of the bookkeeping. I started playing in 6th but looking at prior editions where you just bought powers with points like any other wargear; that would be ideal. And, y'know, more balanced, since Invisibility would cost like 10x the points of the others.

But I want many, varied and strong psychic powers. I only glanced through the AoS rules but it seems like there are 3 or 4 spells total, that almost all the casters know, and most of them can only cast a single spell a turn, and none of their stats matter in the casting and most spells are basically a 50/50 to get off and...

It's far too simple for my tastes.

The factions that received their own books so far expanded on the abilities and powers I think.

• Options
    AoS wizards all have their own magic spells, there's just some generic stuff everyone knows by default. Which is kind of what I want, unique psychic powers for different armies instead of everyone pulling from the same universal wizard spell book. So corrupting flames and demon summons for chaos, purifying blasts and buffs for grey knights, etc. instead of everyone being able to summon demons and telepathy being the only thing people roll on because it's the "best". And if your guys come standard with all their spells you lose the random "welp I guess I forgot how to cast invisibility today" element, everyone just knows their stuff.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I would super love 40k moving closer towards AoS's play system, in any way, to be honest.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Back to 2nd edition or bust, where terminators save on 3+ on 2d6, where assault cannons had an armor penetration of d6+d10+d8 and if you shot a character from the front you'd have to beat their force field save, then their hand carried shield save, then their armor save and where close combat was rolling a number of d6 equal to your attack stat, taking the highest, adding your weapon skill to get your total, then compare your total to the enemy total and score a number of hits on the loser equal to the difference.

(Oh god I'm joking.)

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
  • Options
    Also where if you had a virus grenade and the enemy were not space marines you killed like 50% of their army before the game started

• Options
    And you could give your ork mek boy bionic telescoping legs and a multimelta and hide him behind a wall he'd pop up over the top and obliterate everything before dropping down so there was no chance to kill him

• Options
    And harlequins rode around in land raiders

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Back to 2nd edition or bust, where terminators save on 3+ on 2d6, where assault cannons had an armor penetration of d6+d10+d8 and if you shot a character from the front you'd have to beat their force field save, then their hand carried shield save, then their armor save and where close combat was rolling a number of d6 equal to your attack stat, taking the highest, adding your weapon skill to get your total, then compare your total to the enemy total and score a number of hits on the loser equal to the difference.

(Oh god I'm joking.)

Wo do get Armaggedon Shadow War soon. That's basically 2nd edition with the proper amount of models for rules like that.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Also where if you had a virus grenade and the enemy were not space marines you killed like 50% of their army before the game started

It felt like at least half of the equipment in the game back then was basically completely useless against a Space Marine army.

And considering how many people play Space Marines...

• Options
    Jokes aside, I'd like a step in the direction of AoS for 40k, but obviously things can't get as simplified for it, I don't think.

Mostly shooting, I think if you could shoot into combat, out of combat, through enemy models with penalty, etc, in 40k like you can in AoS that the game would kind of fall apart.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    And you could give your ork mek boy bionic telescoping legs and a multimelta and hide him behind a wall he'd pop up over the top and obliterate everything before dropping down so there was no chance to kill him
    DSC00359.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Ere We Go and Freebootaz are treasured possessions of my brother that i am constantly trying to loot

Dayspring on
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »

It felt like at least half of the equipment in the game back then was basically completely useless against a Space Marine army.

And considering how many people play Space Marines...

Ah, so back then everyone was current Dark Eldar.

• Options
    I have weird nostalgia for 2nd edition, considering I never played it and it sounds like a horrific mess

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm a tad concerned they're going to go straight to "actually AoS." Some refining is fine, but I don't want it to be two model lines in the same game system.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm a tad concerned they're going to go straight to "actually AoS." Some refining is fine, but I don't want it to be two model lines in the same game system.

I doubt they'd go to "actually AoS" for the reason you just stated, no need to cannibalize their own player bases. Might as well have two systems that meet the needs of different people.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Jokes aside, I'd like a step in the direction of AoS for 40k, but obviously things can't get as simplified for it, I don't think.

Mostly shooting, I think if you could shoot into combat, out of combat, through enemy models with penalty, etc, in 40k like you can in AoS that the game would kind of fall apart.

I think what I really love about AoS is the streamlining of the rules, and obviously that the rules are free.

There are things that I don't like, and that wouldn't work very well, but I think things like "All Psykers can cast these two spells, and other Psykers have model-specific spells" is something that would go a long way in 40K, I think.

I also like that to hit and to wound is based on the model making the attacks, although I know some people hate that.

I really don't like that LoS doesn't really matter in Sigmar, and I hate the weird terrain rules, but I do like that saves are reduced to a single value.

Someone made AoS rules for a lot of 40K stuff, and I could see it working really well, honestly.

http://hivefleetcharybdis.blogspot.com/2016/03/age-of-sigmar-40k-space-marine.html

• Options
    I'd be very happy to see templates and blast markers and similar go away in favor of AoS's "the unit takes d6 wounds" type of rule.

• Options
    I'm half tempted to see if I can bother people around here enough to try doing a test 1000pt game using those rules....

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Given the definite 'don't have their heads up their ass' direction that GW has had since the CEO changeover, I don't think that's something you'd have to worry about. What I'd expect is that they're look at what has been working really well in AoS, and use that as a test bed where it correlates to things they want to fix in 40K.

If nothing else, giving how vigorous the 40K system is, compared to how badly 8th ed FB from faltering, means that a restart from the ground up ruleset would be a serious and obvious misstep, which GW hasn't been doing much of lately.

I mean, FFS, they're allowing online shoping carts from U.S. sellers again, with 15% discounts. Whoddathunkit?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    'Open Narrative Matched' with 40k images up at Adepticon.

It's happening.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    ... Magnus and Robby are uh... having a moment there.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    40kRadio is live tweeting the event: https://twitter.com/40kRadio

• Options
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yeah, I'm hoping for a pretty dramatic AoS streamlining. Some general thoughts/wishlisting:

Vehicles always felt too flimsy. Even the really tough ones didn't command the staying power to justify the points. It would be great to see them just straight import the monster rules and have their functionality reduce as they take wounds.

Psykers. I think AoS doesn't have this 100% right, but some kind of hybrid between it and the 40k Psychic phase would be good. IE, each faction has Primaris powers that all Wizards have access to, with individual models brining in unique spells. Please, for the love of god, introduce some kind of casting stat (it could even be mastery levels) to create some tier of casting. Please keep perils.

LoS. AoS doesn't treat this as it shpuld be, and 40k needs to have something a little more robust given the ranges on a lot of weapons.

Close Combat. As it stands, this is the most underutilized phase of 40k and armies don't need to prepare to deal with it. Fix it, to make it a viable strategy.

• Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    GW has an official presence, is having a preview, and is releasing new information at an Adepticon?

Have I been away this long.....?

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Nax wrote: »
    GW has an official presence, is having a preview, and is releasing new information at an Adepticon?

Yes. They've been on an upward trajectory for coming up on 2 years now.

If you've even the slightest interest in coming back, this is an excellent time to do so.

• Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Nax wrote: »

Yes. They've been on an upward trajectory for coming up on 2 years now.

If you've even the slightest interest in coming back, this is an excellent time to do so.

I'm all in on Shadow War: ARmageddon.... I dunno about 40k proper. It would take a whole hell of a lot to get me to heavily invest in GW again. As it stands, I can get into SW:A with very little investment from what is left of my collection.

GW burned me pretty hard and for too long, so I'm definitely hesitant at this point

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    I think we're all kinda holding our breath waiting to see what 8th will bring

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    'Open Narrative Matched' with 40k images up at Adepticon.

It's happening.

Wait, Adepticon starts tomorrow. What's happening tonight?

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Some details on rule changes they wanna make:
    It’s been a great six months for Warhammer 40,000. The latest batch of FAQs helped improve everyone’s enjoyment of the game and really clarified some of the key rules. And they were possible, in large part, thanks to the help of you guys and the rest of the online Warhammer 40,000 community. I think it’s really great that we’re now developing rules by engaging the community and working with people like Frankie and Reece from LVO, Mike from Nova and Hank, Greg, Chris and the rest of the AdeptiCon team.

So tonight we wanted to share with you some of the rules concepts that we’re currently working on and give you a quick peek at some stuff that maybe you’ll get to use this time next year at AdeptiCon.

3 Ways to Play

The General’s Handbook has been one of the most popular rules supplements we’ve ever released. Who’d have thought letting people choose how they wanted to play their games and giving them a clear way to do that would be so popular…? It’s pretty clear from talking to a number of event organisers, that Warhammer 40,000 would benefit from the same approach. So we’ll soon be introducing the same 3 ways to play – open, narrative and matched play – to the 41st Millennium.

Army Selection

One of the things that comes up a lot is the idea that people should be rewarded for taking thematic armies. It’s a sentiment we agree with and so we’re looking at introducing Command points. A mechanism to reward players who structure their army like their in-world counterparts, with rerolls and cool army specific rules throughout the game.

Movement

We think the Move value should come back. No more default unit types. Every model should have cool bespoke rules. Not only would that be more fun, but it’ll mean you will only need to learn the rules for your models.

Shooting

Armour save modifiers. This topic comes up almost as often as Sisters of Battle… so we’re going to bring them back. Every weapon will have its place in your army and better represent how you imagine them working in your head.

Combat Phase

Charging units should fight first. It’s just more thematic. So we’re hoping to work this out as well. It will reward tactically outmaneuvering your opponent. You can dictate the combats rather than being entirely Initiative based. You control who swings first.

Morale

Its no longer all or nothing, and it affects everyone. We’re thinking of replacing break tests with a simple mechanic. Roll a D6, add that to the number of models your unit has lost this turn, subtract your Leadership and take that many additional casualties.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Hearing that the new Shadow War kit is gonna run $129 is interesting. I was hoping it would be closer to $100 but considering the amount of new terrain that comes with it I guess it's not too bad.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
This discussion has been closed.