As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] 8th ed Incoming! New Profiles, new rules new stats quo.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Dayspring wrote: »

Q: If a model flees from an Adeptus Astartes unit, can an
    Apothecary use its narthecium to return a model to the unit?
    A: No, the narthecium can only be used to return slain
    models to a unit.

Well that's fucking dumb.

Time to get out my scratch paper and keep notes?

I think I can confidently say that this is a rule everyone will ignore.

It makes sense, if a guy runs away a medic isn't going to help shit.

Oh I agree, but it's a book keeping hassle, you need to keep track of who got shot and who fled per squad for your unit that has a 50/50 chance of bringing one guy back? Plus, by definition, you're only taking morale losses if you took real losses earlier, so there'll always be a legitimate model to resuscitate.

It only matters in a rare edge case where you lose a bunch of guys with bolters to shooting and are forced to pick a special weapons guy for the morale loss, which either won't happen in a small squad with SM LD and a big squad would have more bolter bros to select?

I don't know, for an Apothecary at least it seems like something everyone will just forget about, but I agree for Necrons it's a big deal.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

models to a unit.

Yes, but "it makes sense" so let's have a complicated, fiddly, hard to track rule that will lead to arguments and debates over minor things is the exact kind of thing that the 8th edition ruleset was designed to avoid.

Vehicles having armor facing "makes sense" but it was fiddly and annoying so it got ditched. This is also fiddly and annoying.

Also, holy hell that is a huge nerf to Necrons. At least they've got that rock solid leadership 10. But a necro player absolutely has to track all losses due to morale now as they are likely to regain all the models they've lost in a unit over the course of the game. How annoying.

Inquisitor on

models to a unit.

Yes, but "it makes sense" so let's have a complicated, fiddly, hard to track rule that will lead to arguments and debates over minor things is the exact kind of thing that the 8th edition ruleset was designed to avoid.

Vehicles having armor facing "makes sense" but it was fiddly and annoying so it got ditched. This is also fiddly and annoying.

Also, holy hell that is a huge nerf to Necrons. At least they've got that rock solid leadership 10.

Honestly, I think this was done strictly as a Necron nerf but someone decided it's only fair to apply to Apothecaries also.

• TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    The Visarch got his 4++ back! That makes me very happy.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    That Necron ruling is nothing new. They've always been unable to use resurrection shenanigans on dudes who were overrun or removed through not direct combat means

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    You put a die next to your necron squad to represent losses. Don't raise it from morale losses. Doesn't sound that hard.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    No one's saying it's rocket science, but its a fiddly bit of bookkeeping for a ruleset who's entire design philosophy has been to trim the fat.
    Yes, you CAN put a dice next to every necron unit to keep track, but it would be easier not having to keep track of that at all.

The rules dont care about armour facing, firing arcs, wither a marine is hit with a heavybolter or autocannon, but it for some reason cares HOW a unit was "slain"? For crying out loud, the FAQ also clarifies that Poxwalkers can generate zombies out of necrons, who then also resurrect anyways! Why? Because its easier to just run the rules in a simple and consistent way and not fuss to much about specific edge cases. Like whether an apothecary is reviving a "dead" marine, or a marine with shellshock. Gamewise, it's the same damn thing, why draw the line here?.
    For a game where everything's been abstracted for the sake of faster and easier gameplay, this is a step in the wrong direction.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, some things are just really weird omissions that should have been spotted during design.

McGibs wrote: »
    No one's saying it's rocket science, but its a fiddly bit of bookkeeping for a ruleset who's entire design philosophy has been to trim the fat.
    Yes, you CAN put a dice next to every necron unit to keep track, but it would be easier not having to keep track of that at all.

The rules dont care about armour facing, firing arcs, wither a marine is hit with a heavybolter or autocannon, but it for some reason cares HOW a unit was "slain"? For crying out loud, the FAQ also clarifies that Poxwalkers can generate zombies out of necrons, who then also resurrect anyways! Why? Because its easier to just run the rules in a simple and consistent way and not fuss to much about specific edge cases. Like whether an apothecary is reviving a "dead" marine, or a marine with shellshock. Gamewise, it's the same damn thing, why draw the line here?.
    For a game where everything's been abstracted for the sake of faster and easier gameplay, this is a step in the wrong direction.

Preach it brother man!

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So, I came up with this to cover what I feel is a gap in the rules:
    Stratagem: Rally the Troops {2}:
    If your Warlord is still alive, choose a unit on the table and make a morale test for it. Instead of the usual results for this test, one model that previously fled is returned to the unit for each point it passes the test by and the unit doesn't lose any further models if it fails.

What do you think?
    I may end up using it in a custom scenario even if I can't make it stick as a house rule.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Couldn't you just tip over (ie, lay down) models that are wounded, and remove models that flee? Seems like an easy way to tell the difference.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Couldn't you just tip over (ie, lay down) models that are wounded, and remove models that flee? Seems like an easy way to tell the difference.

Works well for Necrons who will keep getting up, but will probably be annoying for marines.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    But, think of the visceral thrill of seeing a corpse-strewn battlefield after you've done your dark work. :P

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    I skimmed this the one time I used an Apoc... but, if you fail the rez someone, the rule describes that the Apoc harvests the geneseed.... but, there is nothing that prevents you from just... trying again next turn?

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Nax wrote: »
    I skimmed this the one time I used an Apoc... but, if you fail the rez someone, the rule describes that the Apoc harvests the geneseed.... but, there is nothing that prevents you from just... trying again next turn?

All he can do is recover the geneseed for the rest of the turn. No shooting, running, or fighting if he fails. He can try the following turn.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Right... That seems odd. If he can still try again the next turn, why put in the fluff that he recovers the geneseed? Next turn he just tries to plug it back in?

This is, of course, assuming that the unit has only lost a single marine

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
    Nax wrote: »
    Right... That seems odd. If he can still try again the next turn, why put in the fluff that he recovers the geneseed? Next turn he just tries to plug it back in?

This is, of course, assuming that the unit has only lost a single marine

You've never tried to fill a dead body with your geneseed?

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    thank you new FAQ!
    My Shield Drones now get to make a 5+ FNP when they lose a wound, this brings them up from totally useless to pretty good

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

Preach it brother man!

I do agree with this, for marines it's not really that much book keeping (like we said your only going to use it a handful of times) but for necrons it sounds like a real pain, especially as the necron lists I've seen have been playing huge blobs of guys.

I guess the easiest way is to mark each squad somehow (number the bases) and just have a dead and ran away pile seperate when you take em off the table.

Preach it brother man!

I do agree with this, for marines it's not really that much book keeping (like we said your only going to use it a handful of times) but for necrons it sounds like a real pain, especially as the necron lists I've seen have been playing huge blobs of guys.

I guess the easiest way is to mark each squad somehow (number the bases) and just have a dead and ran away pile seperate when you take em off the table.

The dice on the table is the easiest. For causalities from fighting/shooting you increase the die. For those that run away you don't.

You already have a shit ton of d6s for this. Basically a wound counter for troops.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    With the amount of effort I put into painting I'm not going to be laying my models on their sides and frankly with the number of multi-wound models there's enough clutter with keeping track of that.

It's a stupid 'clarification' that should have just been left as-is. This is yet another example of shit they figured out in AoS and is working just fine but for some reason they decided to make it terrible for 40k.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    With the amount of effort I put into painting I'm not going to be laying my models on their sides and frankly with the number of multi-wound models there's enough clutter with keeping track of that.

It's a stupid 'clarification' that should have just been left as-is. This is yet another example of shit they figured out in AoS and is working just fine but for some reason they decided to make it terrible for 40k.

Considering they completely reversed shit with the shield drones.

I wouldn't be surprised if it got changed back based on feedback and a few upcoming big tournaments.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I hate any rule which requires keeping dice on the table for record keeping, because dice get scooped, bumped, and rolled. Yeah, it's not the end of the world, but it's a deviation from the goal of 8th which is to streamline, I guess.

For example, with CP I'm planning to model objective markers that I'll treat as CP. In the couple 8th edition games I've played already I've more than once seen someone at the table accidentally roll their CP die.

What is this I don't even.
    Look, all I'm saying is that it makes sense to have to track the individual number of rockets left in a cyclone missile launcher. I mean, it only has so many tubes and the practicality of reloading that weapon during combat operations is basically untenable.

Therefore, players should either keep a dice or get out a pad of paper and a pencil (readily available items really) and track their round expenditure for the weapon.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    In the hours leading up to a game one must keep track of the number of times sacred oils have been successfully applied to each marine's boltgun. Each successful applications allows for a +.25 modifier to that marine's reload rolls made after expending all the rounds in a clip which must also be tracked.

If that battle is taking place on a particularly dusty planet, apply a -.126 cumulative modifier for each phase that has passed so far in all game turns. Keep track of any phases in which that marine has been embarked on a transport as those phases will not add to the modifier.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    dont forget to roll a scatter dice for wind direction

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Why don't we just play Battletech instead

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

I was going to make a joke about ticking off power Armour DMG boxes but then I thought a board game with like 2-3 marines with a battletech style sheet, with ammo, Armory DMG, like critical wounds, against like cultists who go down super fast, but you have to conserve bolter ammo and stuff.

Would be cool as shit.

I was going to make a joke about ticking off power Armour DMG boxes but then I thought a board game with like 2-3 marines with a battletech style sheet, with ammo, Armory DMG, like critical wounds, against like cultists who go down super fast, but you have to conserve bolter ammo and stuff.

Would be cool as shit.

Play the Deathwatch RPG from FFG, basically exactly what you're asking for.

I'm still waiting for the Adeptus Titanicus relaunch.

In the hours leading up to a game one must keep track of the number of times sacred oils have been successfully applied to each marine's boltgun codpiece.

How I read it first time.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    In the hours leading up to a game one must keep track of the number of times sacred oils have been successfully applied to each marine's boltgun codpiece.

How I read it first time.

You would. Answer you pm's.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Look, all I'm saying is that it makes sense to have to track the individual number of rockets left in a cyclone missile launcher. I mean, it only has so many tubes and the practicality of reloading that weapon during combat operations is basically untenable.

Therefore, players should either keep a dice or get out a pad of paper and a pencil (readily available items really) and track their round expenditure for the weapon.

This... Actually doesn't sound unreasonable to me?

I mean, I played Imperial Guard and Tyranids. One army with enough models on the table to choke a cave bear, and another that simply... I guess, ejaculates weaponized parasites, tho, so, uh...

As you were.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I can understand if you are playing a RPG about who much ammo you have and which way the wind blows but in a wargame I can understand overlooking it

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I read a story about some dudes who were playing a historical WWII wargame (it may have been Flames of War, but I don't remember for sure) where one player had some infantry hiding in a wheat field. They were having a debate over whether or not the infantry units would be getting cover from the wheat due to whether they would be obscured from sight of the opposing player's units.

They ended up solving the issue by checking the date of the actual battle that they were playing against the growth/harvesting seasons of the specific type of wheat in that specific territory that the soldiers were hiding in to determine what height it would have been at during that specific battle.

Part of me thinks that that is the most ridiculous rulesnazi bullshit ever, but there is definitely a part of me who thinks it is fucking awesome that there are people in this hobby that are grognardy enough to actually track down how tall a stalk of wheat was during a battle that took place over 80 years ago and cross reference that data with the average height of a crouching adult male to determine whether or not these plastic toys over here could shoot at these other plastic toys over there. I don't think it would be very entertaining to keep track of what percentage the battery is on each Lasgun being held by an army of 100 guardsmen, but sometimes the fun is in the minutiae.

I read a story about some dudes who were playing a historical WWII wargame (it may have been Flames of War, but I don't remember for sure) where one player had some infantry hiding in a wheat field. They were having a debate over whether or not the infantry units would be getting cover from the wheat due to whether they would be obscured from sight of the opposing player's units.

They ended up solving the issue by checking the date of the actual battle that they were playing against the growth/harvesting seasons of the specific type of wheat in that specific territory that the soldiers were hiding in to determine what height it would have been at during that specific battle.

Part of me thinks that that is the most ridiculous rulesnazi bullshit ever, but there is definitely a part of me who thinks it is fucking awesome that there are people in this hobby that are grognardy enough to actually track down how tall a stalk of wheat was during a battle that took place over 80 years ago and cross reference that data with the average height of a crouching adult male to determine whether or not these plastic toys over here could shoot at these other plastic toys over there. I don't think it would be very entertaining to keep track of what percentage the battery is on each Lasgun being held by an army of 100 guardsmen, but sometimes the fun is in the minutiae.

Advanced squad leader has wheat fields based on month, and panzerfaust available based on year of the war.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I mean, this is why there are different types of mini games. But 40k is the ultra lightweight game. Or at least is supposed to be.

What is this I don't even.
    So I am curious would I need the Space Marine codex to play with the Space wolves? or Black Templars? are they getting there own?

Templars are not getting their own. Wolves are.

But would I still need the codex to use the space wolf one?

This discussion has been closed.