As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] 8th ed Incoming! New Profiles, new rules new stats quo.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Hearing that the new Shadow War kit is gonna run $129 is interesting. I was hoping it would be closer to $100 but considering the amount of new terrain that comes with it I guess it's not too bad.
    $110, really, since you can buy it online from a place offering a 15% discount.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    sneak peak at the new edition changes

https://youtu.be/7dl0OtWqCa0

New GW is something.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I like all of those ideas, but was kinda expecting 8th to be further along development wise tbh

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I like all of those ideas, but was kinda expecting 8th to be further along development wise tbh

If I'm interpreting it right, it seems they are literally taking AoS rules to 40k, which I'm super into.

Each unit has its own move value, like AoS. Attacks can modify your armor save value, like AoS. You have to take a battleshock phase, and if you fail you lose dudes, like AoS.

Charging units gaining combat initiative is similar to the current melee initiative system in AoS.

Three ways to play games, like AoS.

What reads suspiciously like Allegiance Abilities in AoS...

I'm excited, to say the least, but then again I'd jump for joy if they literally made official model rule profiles like the fan ones I linked last page, and just reprinted the Generals Handbook, swapping appropriate Sigmar words into 40k ones.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    It sounds pretty good. Although rewards for fluffy army comp worries me as they've so far shown themselves not especially capable of that. See the various formation bonuses, with some bonuses being amazing and others being trash.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I do agree this is not the GW I knew when I quit the game
    This is a GW that semi knows social media and how it works

I know very little about AOS I know more of people's outrage {and one person's questioning rage over the elves in Warhammer and how it was handled before AoS is more of how I know AoS}
    I have the Warhammer Quest reboot of Sliver Tower I have not played it because I failed to get someone interested in it

Still I have tons of questions if this is the direction 40k is taking so I will wait and see

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I wonder how the change to the combat system will work with Initiative. Maybe it'll disappear altogether? If so, what'll happen with Slaanesh's whole deal being the high I army? Interesting.

Also I bet they keep T and S values in 40k. While I like the base value in AoS it was one of the least popular rules

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    Overall, I like those, but I don't like the morale rules. There's something visceral about the unit actually just legging it from the field. I do want morale to matter more though. If it was me, I'd just put something like pinning from Bolt Action in. Actually, I'd just put it straight in.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    sneak peak at the new edition changes

https://youtu.be/7dl0OtWqCa0

New GW is something.

I'm surprised this video wasn't released April 1st; did anyone else notice the box labeled Plastic Thunderhawk in the background?

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Lezta wrote: »
    Overall, I like those, but I don't like the morale rules. There's something visceral about the unit actually just legging it from the field. I do want morale to matter more though. If it was me, I'd just put something like pinning from Bolt Action in. Actually, I'd just put it straight in.

How does the pinning work?

• Options

If you get hit, you take a pin token. Each pin token drops leadership and BS by 1. If you have any pin tokens, you have to take a leadership test to activate or you go down (or go to ground, in 40k lingo). If you pass that test, you remove one pin token. If you're down you can chose to stay down to remove them quicker.

I just think it would allow things like heavy bolters and other supressing weapons to actually suppress. I wouldn't mind if it was only weapons with a supress keyword that did this either, thinking about it. 40k's flow might be somewhat spoilt if everyone was failing to act all the time - whilst 40k is anachronistic, it isn't actually set in WW2 or 1.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

If you get hit, you take a pin token. Each pin token drops leadership and BS by 1. If you have any pin tokens, you have to take a leadership test to activate or you go down (or go to ground, in 40k lingo). If you pass that test, you remove one pin token. If you're down you can chose to stay down to remove them quicker.

I just think it would allow things like heavy bolters and other supressing weapons to actually suppress. I wouldn't mind if it was only weapons with a supress keyword that did this either, thinking about it. 40k's flow might be somewhat spoilt if everyone was failing to act all the time - whilst 40k is anachronistic, it isn't actually set in WW2 or 1.

I dunno, to be thematically correct armies like Space marines/Chaos Space marines would have to be immune or incredibly reliant to it and then it would just be abused by said players.

Just a shit load of heavy bolters to pin your enemies in place until you can drop an assault squad on them to clean up.

Karl on
  • Options
    Karl wrote: »

I dunno, to be thematically correct armies Space marines/Chaos Space marines would have to be immune or incredibly reliant to it and then it would just be abused by said players.

Just a shit load of heavy bolters to pin your enemies in place until you can drop an assault squad on them to clean up.

That is true.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

I dunno, to be thematically correct armies Space marines/Chaos Space marines would have to be immune or incredibly reliant to it and then it would just be abused by said players.

Anything that stops a unit from doing anything is dicey as hell to balance, and god knows that nobody would enjoy playing a game where their army ends up getting stun-locked for long periods.

Maybe make it so that a unit that gets hit with a suppressing weapon takes some extra hits if they move the next turn.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I pretty excited for the new edition. I'll be happy to see them introduce a lot of the rules that work from AoS, I just hope that they keep enough rules from the current game for it to feel the same.

As someone who has been playing a lot of Antares recently, which is basically sci fi Bolt Action from Rick "I invented Warhammer 40k" Priestly, the pins system is basically how pinning should work. Being pinned down slowly degrades a unit and even if you can't kill something you can make it non combat effective. The scenario posited above where you just pin something down with a bunch of heavy weapons and then charge in to finish a unit off is EXACTLY how assaults work in Antares and it works pretty damn well in that system. That said the entire system is built around the pins mechanic, so I'm not sure how well a version would work in 40k.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I wonder how the change to the combat system will work with Initiative. Maybe it'll disappear altogether? If so, what'll happen with Slaanesh's whole deal being the high I army?.

They kill Slaanesh in the fluff and then Slaanesh Marines get Tomb King'd.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    Not a loss, Slaanesh is the worst chaos god IMO.

• Options

I'd argue that's because it was sold as the god of tits and dicks for far, far too long, rather than obsession and excess (which as a vice is far more interesting!)

Slaanesh needs a bit of a rebrand, not ditching.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Slaanesh is the best Chaos God because it has a subtle depth (at least where writers get to explore in length) that at least two of the other three lack.

Khorne is just angry because he's angry. What with all his bloodskullskullbloods.
    Tzeentch is needlessly complicated and is a convenient excuse to use for why his cronies lose (because it's all part of the plan!).
    Nurgle is interesting and gets a pass. I'd do a Nurgle army if Slaanesh wasn't around.

edit: Slaanesh just really needs a good update. Ditch some of the more S&M styled models and give 'em a new look like they did with Dark Eldar. And Khorne stuff. And Tzeentch things. And Nurgle dudes.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Chaos Gods ranking 2017 : Nurgle < Khorne < Slaanesh < Tzeentch

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    just as planned

Seriously tempted to get some Tzeentch stuff for AoS, but I really really need to paint more of my Ironjawz stuff first.

• Options

I'd argue that's because it was sold as the god of tits and dicks for far, far too long, rather than obsession and excess (which as a vice is far more interesting!)

Slaanesh needs a bit of a rebrand, not ditching.

I blame the fandom for that more than GW. The portrayal of slannesh in the actualbackground is not quite that reduced to t and a.

• Options
    I just wonder how they'd visualize that. It's easy to make a Booblord.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Not to spark the "should lady spessmarines?" thing into this new thread, but GW did a thing which is sort of cool!
    spirehero-1.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »

I think the Haemunculus covens are a good alternative representation for for obsessive perfectionism and excess with less emphasis on the "sexy", also Noise Marines.

Bringing in more colours and going a bit more garish than just pink and lacquered black would also help.

Hieronymus Bosch meets surrealism would be nice maybe?

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Adepticon has already been well worth it - picked up that one tallarn rough rider I needed, complete, for $11 bucks. If you want a laugh, go on ebay and look how much people are trying to charge for these, plus shipping (then compare it to how much ones that actually sold go for. :lol: )

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

If I'm interpreting it right, it seems they are literally taking AoS rules to 40k, which I'm super into.

Each unit has its own move value, like AoS. Attacks can modify your armor save value, like AoS. You have to take a battleshock phase, and if you fail you lose dudes, like AoS.

Charging units gaining combat initiative is similar to the current melee initiative system in AoS.

Three ways to play games, like AoS.

What reads suspiciously like Allegiance Abilities in AoS...

I'm excited, to say the least, but then again I'd jump for joy if they literally made official model rule profiles like the fan ones I linked last page, and just reprinted the Generals Handbook, swapping appropriate Sigmar words into 40k ones.

It's funny because in some ways this is 40k lifting from AoS, but it is also 40k lifting from its own past.

Every unit having its own move value is 2nd edition 40k, as is weapons modifying the enemy's armor save, I've very happy to see both of those come back.

I want to say that striking first off of a charge was in third edition but I might just be misremembering because CC in general was so insanely strong in 3rd. Either way I'm happy to see a boost for CC.

The other stuff is AoS for sure. I'm happy to see GW learn from the past, both the near and the distant.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

I think the Haemunculus covens are a good alternative representation for for obsessive perfectionism and excess with less emphasis on the "sexy", also Noise Marines.

Bringing in more colours and going a bit more garish than just pink and lacquered black would also help.

Hieronymus Bosch meets surrealism would be nice maybe?

It really bugs me that Dark Eldar/Slaanesh alliances are against the fluff. The aesthetics match up too well.

• Options
    They should match up aesthetically as the one group is more or less responsible for the other one to exist. And all the shennanigans the DE are up to still feed Slannesh sweet sweet soul essence.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    When are the other loyalist bromarchs coming back?

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    When are the other loyalist bromarchs coming back?

Well 2 are dead:

Ferrus Manus
    (My main man) Sanguinius

So that leaves:
    Corax (Raven Guard)
    Leman Russ (Space Wolves)
    Jaghatai Khan (White Scars)
    Rogal Dorn (Imperial Fists)
    Lion El Johnson (Dark Angels)
    Vulkan (Salamanders)

Vulkan and Rogal are believed dead but y'know no body so I reckon they're not dead.
    Lion El Johnson is asleep on the Rock so that's an easy come back
    Corax and Leman Russ are out on separate jollies so they just need to come back.
    Jaghatai Khan went chasing Dark Eldar into the webway so he can come back as well when he stops fucking about.

I think that covers it.

Roboute Guilliam was the best one to bring back IMO considering he's the most stable/best statesman of the living primarchs.

For example, if Leman Russ came back his plan would be to gather all Imperial military resources he can (so basically all of it) and then charge at the Eye of Terror

• Options
    For example, if Leman Russ came back his plan would be to gather all Imperial military resources he can (so basically all of it) and then charge at the Eye of Terror

And the downside?

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    So I missed out on the end of times campaign books for whfantasy and I kind of regret it (but seriously $80 American per book can get bent)
    I'm all in on the gathering storm books this time. Genuinely excited that Games Workshop is turning it's act around

• Options

And the downside?

I feel defending the Imperium requires a more nuanced approach.

Maybe some kind of tactics.

• Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    I had hoped a new starter set would have been revealed or teased for this summer, but I guess that's not this year. I have the dark vengeance starter from 3 years ago, with the dark grey box - is that the same rules edition as the current one?

I'm tempted at picking up some Ultramarines and Guilliam at Adepticon... that sounds like an expensive proposal though. Does Guilliam come with a stat sheet or is the gathering storm book needed? Are those books narrative missions/battle plans?

That sounds tempting too... this seems even more expensive. I also need to finish my Sigmarines from the AoS starter... hmmm

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I dunno, Leman Russ might start out by just setting most of the Ecclesiarchy on fire and burninating any psykers he can lay hands on. Emperor's executioner and all.

THEN he gets together the full military and charges the Eye of Terror.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I dunno, Leman Russ might start out by just setting most of the Ecclesiarchy on fire and burninating any psykers he can lay hands on. Emperor's executioner and all.

THEN he gets together the full military and charges the Eye of Terror.

Gonna be a bit between point A and point B there I'd guess.
    Cause the whole "Wiping out the Ecclesiarchy" sounds like a good step one on the way to an Imperium civil war. And I an only imagine that that kind of thing is going to drag on.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I had hoped a new starter set would have been revealed or teased for this summer, but I guess that's not this year.

I'd be astounded if there isn't some kind of new starter set that drops at the same time as 8th edition.

This discussion has been closed.