As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NIN: Year Zero - what's up with this?

Al SimmonsAl Simmons Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Anyone got a rundown of what the backstory on the new NIN album is all about? I'm a casual NIN fan, don't really feel like scouring the web for every bit of trivia. So far it is just bits and pieces at messageboards here and there from people all trying hard to act like they know the whole story and that if you don't you must be some kinda newb.

So anyways, feel free to call me a newb as long as you can shed some light on the story. :)

(not sure if this belongs in D&D or H&A)

Al Simmons on

• Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Unfortunately I don't know the story, but I do know that the album isn't that great.

:(

And that the CD changes colors or something? I dunno, I bought it on iTunes.

Medopine on
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I heard a cool viral marketing thing where specific portions of NIN tshirts spelt out a weird URL for a website with album related story stuff on it. And Trent Reznor put USB flash drives in the bathroom stalls of certain concert venues with portions of the album on them for the purpose of leaking. I guess the album is like a concept album that centers around a guy in the near future living in a totalitarian country or something?

I haven't listened to it yet -- its only 9.99 Canadian though which is pretty cheap, so I might just buy it. The Broken is still my favorite though :).

Ant000 on
  • Options
    RandomtaskRandomtask Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ant000 wrote: »
    I heard a cool viral marketing thing where specific portions of NIN tshirts spelt out a weird URL for a website with album related story stuff on it. And Trent Reznor put USB flash drives in the bathroom stalls of certain concert venues with portions of the album on them for the purpose of leaking. I guess the album is like a concept album that centers around a guy in the near future living in a totalitarian country or something?

With heavy religious overtones.

And alien invadorz.

Randomtask on
    Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it.
    - Soren Kierkegaard
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't know the story, but I do know that the album isn't that great.

I hate you.

And the Year Zero thing is sort of a concept album thing made up a bunch of whole different websites. Pretty much, Year Zero is a event at some time in the future in which the US government has become religious and totalitarian, theres a buero of morality, the Hand of God is activly appearing on earth, and people are too on drugs to care.

Here is a good explanation and link to the sites involved.

http://www.ninwiki.com/Year_Zero_Research

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Is this built on some sort of existing conspiracy idea or complete fabrication? From what I have seen it would take an awful lot of work and preplaning to plant all of this stuff. (and I don't really see how it would be worth it, not like a lot of people would buy the album just for the backstory if they didn't like the music imo)

Al Simmons on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Al Simmons wrote: »
    Is this built on some sort of existing conspiracy idea or complete fabrication? From what I have seen it would take an awful lot of work and preplaning to plant all of this stuff. (and I don't really see how it would be worth it, not like a lot of people would buy the album just for the backstory if they didn't like the music imo)

It's fabricated, and a LOT of people are VERY into the backstory.

Randomtask on
    - Soren Kierkegaard
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »

I hate you.

And the Year Zero thing is sort of a concept album thing made up a bunch of whole different websites. Pretty much, Year Zero is a event at some time in the future in which the US government has become religious and totalitarian, theres a buero of morality, the Hand of God is activly appearing on earth, and people are too on drugs to care.

Here is a good explanation and link to the sites involved.

http://www.ninwiki.com/Year_Zero_Research
    Sorry, maybe the concept is great, but I don't dig the music.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for the website, Blood's End. Pretty good wrapup there.

Al Simmons on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought the album was fantastic personally.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Most of the songs don't work well as background music but I love them anyway. If you can get into the themes you will too.

Capital G is fucking awesome.

Hoz on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I honestly really love the album. The Great Destroyer is amazing.

And the ARG's pretty freaky.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Reznor's really not capable of making bad music

Some of his stuff is slightly less great though. I think this one is a tad more atmospheric than With Teeth. Kinda a middle ground between his other stuff and The Fragile.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hmmm, I'll look this up - It's a cool idea.

Edit:

I like this. Its effectively a use of hyperbolic scenario to make a point throughout the entire album. It was a similar experience for me to reading 1984 again recenetly. The act of presenting an extreme scenario makes it a jarring realisation when you notice similarities to current state of things.

Whether its music that will get much repeat play is a different matter - but at least it made me think.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Unfiction.com is a source for all your ARG needs!

http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/index.php?f=218&sid=d6312b2b8bc01fd98c6fc25ca54ba3d1

This will take you to the UnForums Year Zero debate and clues lists.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    WITH TEETH stuffs this album in a bag and beats it with a sack of oranges. I immensely hate this album, but then if it were by someone else who didn't have other great albums, it might rank higher. SURVIVALISM is one of the worst first-singles ever. The only song I can get into is The Good Soldier. The rest of the album - not at all. It's almost like Trent thought of the "message/concept" first, and worried about the actual ROCK later.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man I love this album and the story is awesome so if you have time I would recommend anyone check it out.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Re: ED....wow, aggressive much?

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fans of NIN are likely going to enjoy this. It's different while keeping in the spirit of what we've come to expect.

The standout track for me is "In This Twilight."

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ED! wrote: »
    It's almost like Trent thought of the "message/concept" first, and worried about the actual ROCK later.
    That's how concept albums start. And that's the whole point, for the music to be based around the concept.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    It's almost like Trent thought of the "message/concept" first, and worried about the actual ROCK later.
    That's how concept albums start. And that's the whole point, for the music to be based around the concept.

Who would have thought that's what was meant by "concept album?"

CRAZYZYYYY!!!>!!>!@!!!

Randomtask on
    - Soren Kierkegaard
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    wallhitter wrote: »
    Tsk...you guys really don't get any of this, do you?
    If it is any consolation Wall, I liked the album.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, some of you need to start acting a little more maturely. Fanboyism will never be an attractive personality trait.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, sorry about that. It was kinda late and I was being stupid. Sorry again.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dont worry, I know what a concept-album is. Ziggy Stardust was a good concept album. Tical2000 is a GREAT concept album. This, IN MY OPINION, is not - and is very sloppy. You can have a germ for an idea, and have that influence the writing of your material. But Trent seemed to be overly concerned with not only shoe-horning the content into the concept, but also the promotion of such, instead of just delivering a GREAT rock album. With Teeth took me one listen through to declare it best album (of the time). Fragile took a couple (mostly because its so long), and I was still discovering gems later on). After two go throughs, none of the songs grab me except for the one I mentioned. The structure doesnt feel "right".

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    With Teeth is the weakest of Reznor's albums. And it's nowhere near as good as Year Zero.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Dont worry, I know what a concept-album is. Ziggy Stardust was a good concept album. Tical2000 is a GREAT concept album. This, IN MY OPINION, is not - and is very sloppy. You can have a germ for an idea, and have that influence the writing of your material. But Trent seemed to be overly concerned with not only shoe-horning the content into the concept, but also the promotion of such, instead of just delivering a GREAT rock album. With Teeth took me one listen through to declare it best album (of the time). Fragile took a couple (mostly because its so long), and I was still discovering gems later on). After two go throughs, none of the songs grab me except for the one I mentioned. The structure doesnt feel "right".

I pretty much have to agree with this, though after a few more listens there are a couple songs that are growing on me. The overall album experience is disappointing compared to when I first heard With Teeth. I suppose I am more of a fan of the less atmospheric NIN stuff, though, so it makes sense. I also tend to value first impressions of albums more than I probably should, meh.

Medopine on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I remember when no one listened to NIN. Back in my Goth & Industrial days you could spot a poseur when he/she was dancing to Closer.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's good album, and the concept/marketing behind it is neat too. God Given is one of my favorite NIN songs now.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I haven't heard the album, but I really dig the marketing and stuff behind it. I have watched the video for Survivalism, though, and that was pretty good.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey! I hated this album on first listen and thought Survivalism was horrid. I thought Trent was putting way too much 'tude in his vocals and the songs lacked some of the dynamism of classic NIN tracks. Too much glitchy electronic fuckery. Concept didn't hold the whole album together well enough. The political slant didn't feel right; Reznors angst is supposed to be directed inwards, not at other people!

But I was sitting on the bus listening to it for the third time and it all clicked for me when The Great Destroyer's second chorus exploded. That song is fucking epic. The first four tracks of the album are pure awesome, and the degrees of awesome vary only slightly from there. It's no Downward Spiral or The Fragile but it's a better effort than With Teeth and worth staying with more than one or two listens.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Its' definitely more atmospheric and less hardcore. He's seeming ot take a 1 for 1 approach. With Teeth was pretty heavy. The Fragile was atmospheric etc etc

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't know about 'less hardcore'. Although I'm not sure what you mean by 'hardcore' anyway. Some of the sounds on YZ are very difficult to get through. Vessel, for instance, is based around a noise that sounds like an entire family of computers nipples being tweaked simultaneously.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It sounds more electronica influenced and less industrial. To me at least.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anyone else noticed that there is a lot more bass on this album than anything else from NIN?

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I didn't really care for this one upon the first listen, either, but it's definitely starting to click. Thumbs up, in my book.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    I didn't really care for this one upon the first listen, either, but it's definitely starting to click. Thumbs up, in my book.

Agreed. Songs that annoyed the hell out of me first time through - Capital G, Survivalism, Great Destroyer - are now some of my favourite NIN tracks of all time. Great Destroyer in particular is fucking gold.

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    'The Fragile' is one of my favourite albums of all time.

I thought 'With Teeth' was good, but nothing special.

Will I like 'Year Zero'?

Docken on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anybody else tried doing the spectrograph stuff on My Violent Heart? I'm not even finding the burst of static people are talking about.

Edit: Oh, it's at the end of The Warning on the CD. Weird.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Docken wrote: »
    'The Fragile' is one of my favourite albums of all time.

I thought 'With Teeth' was good, but nothing special.

Will I like 'Year Zero'?

Maybe? I dunno. Year Zero is more like Downward Spiral than anything else - it's quite harsh and not nearly as complex as The Fragile. Personally, I like it a lot more than With Teeth. It's got more ... substance.

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hasn't grabbed me yet, I hope it does as I love the concept.

Apothe0sis on