As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[13th Age WM] What Lies Beneath. Adventure Thread!

13»

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I also vote for stealth. The more stealth the better.

Geth roll 1d20+3+1+5 for Stealth (Scout)

Stealth (Scout):
    1d20+3+1+5 17 [1d20=8]

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+3+1+5 for stealth (dex level background)

stealth (dex level background):
    1d20+3+1+5 13 [1d20=4]

Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Stealth!

Stealth!:
    1d20+4 19 [1d20=15]

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    The group moves through the forge, being careful to use the shadows and the light to keep from being spotted by the strange mechanical people. It takes them longer than they would have liked, with the fires of the forge lighting the room up much brighter than the other two rooms, but soon they make it pass this and head deeper in.

Inside they find a series of rooms with different tables that some of the machine people are resting on. Other machines are operating on them, taking something fleshy off and replacing it with something mechanical or replacing a mechanical part... it's all disguising. At the end of this hall is another massive door, much like the first two that the group found. And it too is locked.

• Options
    Are these automatons human-sized or larger? And how many are there?

• Options
    The mechanical people? They are roughly human size, although not all of them are humanoid in appearance anymore. Some have multiple arms, legs, tails, and lots of other things. The group has come across 10 or so so far, plus 6 more being "upgraded" on the tables.

• Options
    BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Varg was content to leave his fleshy bits where they were, so he tried to sneak past the machines and unlock the door.
    Geth roll 1d20+3+1+5 for stealth (dex level background)
    Geth roll 1d20+3+1+5 for lockpicking (dex level background)

stealth (dex level background):
    1d20+3+1+5 25 [1d20=16]
    lockpicking (dex level background):
    1d20+3+1+5 29 [1d20=20]

Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Options
    I swear, you guys are just skipping everything! STOP BEING GOOD AT SNEAKING!

Varg opens the door without a sound and the group is able to slip in and close it behind them without warning the machine people.

The room the group finds themselves in is cold. Terribly cold. It's like someone bottled Winter from a mountain top into this room. The room is lit by a soft blue glow coming from the different runes around it, which appear to be randomly placed, like the runes that have started to infest the town. As the group moves through the room, they come across one room filled with metal parts, papers, tools, and ores. In the center of this room is a large platform with different tables hanging from thin metal arms coming from the ceiling. On this platform is a massive machine, bigger than any the group had seen before. It is of a creature with two large legs that connect to a massive body and has a large tail. The head of the beast is like a dragon and indeed, hanging from the ceiling there are two massive metal wings waiting to be connected to the beast. The machine doesn't appear to be working, many of it's parts still laying around the place. But it's still scary looking. From the shadows a curious machine moves in, like a massive spider with too many legs and arms. The machine must have thousands of them, moving this way and that way, each picking up tools or moving wires through the metal dragon's body like a spider moving web. The spider machine hasn't noticed the group yet.

• Options
    August tugs at his hood a bit so he can look up at the mechanical monster. He notices the spider-like creature and places his Hatchet back in the frog on his belt while taking his bow in hand and knocking an arrow --- just in case. Regardless of what happens here -- the boss and his mine crew are eventually going to hit this chamber -- be it now, or years from now. What kind of hell will they unleash?

• Options
    Taneli elbows August. "Wanna fight it?"

• Options
    The spider machine creature keeps working on when something rises from the center of it's body. The large glass dome lifts up revealing a dwarf's head in a jar of pink, boiling slush. "Ah, so you made it here." the machine speaks in a mechanical way that sounds like nothing like a person speaking at all. "If it wasn't for the fact that I am one with this place, I too might not have noticed your presence."

• Options
    Taneli chokes on his words and coughs into his fist. "We, uh, come in peace. We expected to find this place, well, not empty, but emptier? I am Taneli; it's a pleasure to meet you."

• Options
    edited May 2017
    The spider machine looks at the Half-Elf but continues it's work. "Interesting. Sorry, but I'm afraid that I lack such designations. We have risen above such concepts. But yes, this factory has been operational for 357 years, 11 months, 29 days, 6 hours, and 46 minutes. However, we've not receive word from our employer about shipment of our current orders. Are you a representative of Master Vo'lash?"

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    "Mister Vo'lash? I must apologize, I've not met him. When was the last time he was here?"

Has Havenhold even been around for 350 years?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    Taneli doesn't know exactly how long Havenhold has been around. He knows that no one alive remembers the time before and that Elves can live to be 300 years and Half-Elves can be 150 years old.

The spider machine pauses for a bit and there is a slight clicking noise. "My memory records has his last visit to be the 4th of the Red, which would have been 354 years, 9 months, 12 days, 14 hours, and 51 minutes ago. He normally sends his representatives as the travel from Glitterhaegen has proven dangerous with the Demonic War. His last batch has been ready for 354 years, 3 months, 21 days, 1 hour, and 13 minutes but no further orders have been placed. As such, I've been creating new designs to challenge myself, such as my current body and this metal dragon, which should be operational in six days, although it's base functions are... well functional." The spider machine seems unreleased with it's odd mortal speech pattern, as if it betrayed a bit too much humanoid than it wished to. "If you are not a representative of Master Vo'lash's then what is your purpose here?"

• Options
    "To be blunt, we expected this to be a treasure vault, that we could take its valuables to sell. We are adventurers, who delve into the old and forgotten places to recover what came from before."

"The only sapient life, outside of bandits, exists in Havenhold; I believe Glitterhaegen is no longer. You speak of a war, three hundred years ago? I specialize in ancient and forgotten lore, and have heard nothing of it." Taneli's face takes to a stern frown. "It would seem that your Mr. Volash lost the war. These clockwork creations are... completely alien to me."

• Options
    "There are many treasures to be found here." The spider machine said, "If one were to look closely."

Lights begin to flicker in the large metal dragon and runes like those in tower start to glow across the body.

"Long ago, these machines were hardly more than shiny metal, only capable of doing a few tasks. But... I discovered a secret many years ago, when the Runes first appeared. That was towards the start of the war. The Great Gold Wyrm had failed, his body finally gave up and demons poured forth from the Abyss. I learned, through the Runes, how to combine flesh with metal, creating a machine that can function at a much higher degree of adaptable. It is worth noting that some individuals disagreed with my vision, as such simple creatures do. But the Runes didn't. They showed me concepts I never imaged. And I've been able to advance myself and others beyond that of mere flesh." The metal dragon looked around the room. "If the war has been lost, then our machines are no longer needed..." The spider machine seem to be confused. "We have no purpose..."

• Options
    "The wilds are still that; wilds. I'm sure that Havenhold would greatly benefit from your abilities." Taneli smiles. "Your purpose was a war against the things that threatened Glitterhaegen? Unless they were wiped out completely, their descendants must be in Havenhold."

• Options
    The Spider machine stopped. "This could be possible. We aren't suppose to protect anyone, however. We are meant for war." Suddenly the Spider Machine stops moving as a clicking noise drones through the room. "You've brought armed forces to our factory?"