Options

[Path of Exile]Bestiary League begins on March 2nd

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Flame Dash crosses terrain impediments, unlike Whirling Blades/Shield Charge, much the same way as Leap Slam/Blink Arrow/TeleportthingywhosenameIforget.

Blink Arrow has a cooldown, but Lightning Warp and Leap Slam don't. I'm just not sure why you would use Flame Dash over those options when they can both cross terrain and provide faster long term movement speed.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I am doing a crit EK trapper... that maybe poisons? This is probably going to be horrible

I have and idea for a trapper, but every time I think about building it I realize leech and on hit effects are impossible, and give up on even attempting it because seriously fuck that.

If you've curse with Assassin's Mark, you'll get life gain on kill which is pretty good sustain. That said, I mostly don't get hit and run a decoy totem. So far Crit EK trap is destroying content. It was painful until I got the Chain Reaction Sabateur ascendency. The other way to do this would be to use sunblast and a couple of cheap construction gems to get the same effect as Chain reaction. Then you could go some other class..

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »
    Ender wrote: »
    Having fun on my almost-RF build. Having all of the health regen nodes on the board is pretty hilarious, I can survive a lot of stuff with 4k hp at 58.

These last 7 levels are going to be a bitch, though. I really hate leveling builds that you can't even start until x level. SR cwc Firestorm gets a little tiring after a while.

Power through!!

My actual-RF guy is up to 85 (86?). Still deathless. I've scrounged up a Doryani's Catalyst, a Kaom's Heart, and a decently-rolled Ngamahu Tiki, which basically puts me at endgame gear. I'm at 7.8k life currently, and the next several nodes I take are all life nodes (which are adding ~120 life/node at this point).

Damage has been very good through the tier of maps I've progressed through so far (mostly 8's with a few 9's mixed in). With three crit chance/life/area damage jewels, plus crit chance from Doryani's, Elemental Overload is up ~75% of the time and it's very easy to keep it up on bosses where it actually matters. I've found an Alchemist's Sulphur Flask of Iron Skin to be reasonably effective as the only offensive flask that really works with the build. I clear breaches like a boss.

That said, the build absolutely has some defensive weaknesses. Kaom's Heart provides life but not a ton of flat armor, so it's becoming increasingly crucial to keep my endurance charges up in maps. A number of map mods are also un-runnable: -max resists, no regen/less regen, and Vulnerability mods are prohibitive or close to prohibitive.

The only big remaining power-spike for me is uber lab (still missing two trials).

I expect character viability caps out somewhere before guardians, but we'll see how far I can push it.

I've seen the build clear Shaper, so it's definitely got the power to go all the way.

What's your Strength? If you're at 800 or more Str, pick up a Doon Cubeydirjdlskfjsi, the damage at that point is higher than a Catalyst, and they're stupidly cheap. Getting a ton of Strength helps the build with hp anyways, so it's a win/win.

Also, I'm not sure RF can even crit. Most RF builds I researched don't go any crit direction. The best one I've seen uses Cyclone to proc EE and EO, as well as Life Gain on Hit. Since it hits so much, the crits come fast even with no investment, and the life gain is significant, allowing you to take even more damage.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    RF can't crit because it doesn't do a hit. need crits to keep up EO but orb of storms is usually enough to get a good uptime

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    P10 wrote: »
    RF can't crit because it doesn't do a hit. need crits to keep up EO but orb of storms is usually enough to get a good uptime

The crit is for Cyclone to keep up Elemental Overload. Base crit was not sufficient for good uptime on this.

My current setup has Cyclone proccing Fortify, EE and EO, and applying Flammability via Curse on Hit.

EDIT: Orb of Storms would be another option for this, but I'm not super keen on adding another cast to my rotation. I may experiment with it later on if I feel like I need to squeeze more life/damage out of the tree (my three jewels are all life/crit chance/area damage so it's not like I'm giving up much to get extra consistency on my EO).

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    @Twenty Sided thanks. I'm going to roll with Templar for now. I'm focusing on 2hnd mace or staff with a melee attack.

I don't know how far it can take me, but I'm learning the ropes.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I'd say there's three ways to do an attack based Templar.

Inquisitor w/ elemental st or phys to ele conversion
    Guardian w/ Aegis Aurora style super tank
    Hierophant w/ triple Warchief Totem and any strong 2H skill like EQ or Ice Crash.

2H staves could go well into 1 or 3 and maces will fit the third.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    kongor's undying rage finally got cheap enough that i can justify doing a bad crit glacial hammer inquisitor that will be bad and not work

• Options
    Yeah I got super hyped when they added the crit axe base but the nodes just aren't there for crit non-staff 2H.

• Options
    it's really dumb because they've needed to add more crit nodes around resi tech since forever to make resi tech less of a complete no brainer on so many builds
    (and for some reason, when they added sword crit nodes, they put them in the bottom right of the tree? they should have been between duelist and marauder . . .)

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Flame Dash crosses terrain impediments, unlike Whirling Blades/Shield Charge, much the same way as Leap Slam/Blink Arrow/TeleportthingywhosenameIforget.

Blink Arrow has a cooldown, but Lightning Warp and Leap Slam don't. I'm just not sure why you would use Flame Dash over those options when they can both cross terrain and provide faster long term movement speed.

Blink Arrow needs a bow. Blade Whirl needs a dagger.
    Flame dash really is just for any time casters wouldn't realistically use any other option. Warp also scales with increased duration nodes, so it's a terrible option if your build needs duration.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Yilias wrote: »

Hierophant w/ triple Warchief Totem and any strong 2H skill like EQ or Ice Crash.

This is what I mean by not being straightforwardly intuitive to a new player.
    If you just want to do physical damage yourself with whatever melee skill, then Templar ascendancies don't really make that much sense.
    If you just want to be supertank then you just take Duelist Champion and it's just, "Well I have Fortify for forever now."
    If you want to be a really aggressively damaging physical attacker, then there's Slayer and Berserker , which have much more straightforward buffs for that purpose.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    it's really dumb because they've needed to add more crit nodes around resi tech since forever to make resi tech less of a complete no brainer on so many builds
    (and for some reason, when they added sword crit nodes, they put them in the bottom right of the tree? they should have been between duelist and marauder . . .)

Ranger and Duelist are the dual wield classes, so the sword nodes near ranger are more for 1h builds to have an option. Duelist is also the main sword class, so it's not surprising that Marauder and Ranger also get sword nodes.

RT is near Marauder because it's opposite the tree from Shadow, which is the crit class.

GGG has a vision for the class layout on the tree. Each class has specific purposes. Templars are about elemental damage and mana. Templars exist between witch and marauder, so they get some options for life/armor/melee from marauder and some options for es/spells from Witch.

Witch has ES and Spells and picks up some elemental damage and mana from Templar and some crit from Shadow.

You can go around the entire tree like this, seeing how there's a main class for a specific purpose, and two secondary classes. Then occasionally you'll have stuff opposite the main class, like CI is opposite Blood Magic or RT is opposite dagger nodes.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yilias wrote: »

Inquisitor Wildstrike works well too :)
    Feldorn wrote: »
    @Twenty Sided thanks. I'm going to roll with Templar for now. I'm focusing on 2hnd mace or staff with a melee attack.

I don't know how far it can take me, but I'm learning the ropes.

hey man, add me in game as Pacificstar if you want any help/someone to talk to in Legacy

Pacificstar on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    2-handed axe assassin is the obvious choice boyz

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    2-handed axe assassin is the obvious choice boyz

Flicker pain train!
    Until you can't keep up frenzy charges sad face :bigfrown:

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I got the Pledge of Hands for my Storm Call inquisitor. Ele reflect is now impossible, but otherwise it's smooth going thanks to MoM and all my crits. But damn do I need to get more life and ES before I start going for red maps. Breaches are very close to a death sentence.

We got some teasers for Act 5 in the way of music and environment shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHHeEL5QEpw

• Options
    Summoner has moved on to T13/14s now, atlas at 106 maps now. Trying to set up for sextanting my 11s/12s out of the atlas so I can get some Shaped Strands going and build up a larger red pool.

24 challenges down so far and most of what I haven't done is at like 11 for 12 or 14 for 15. The Talisman challenge is proving very frustrating, I'd forgotten how awful that league was.

I've decided to transition to Golemmancer. I don't have confidence my friends will stick around with Mass Effect out and I've made enough money that rerolling won't be an issue even if I invest.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    I'm using my LSC currency to revisit/improve on an old character that received some incidental buffs: the 100% fire conversion Ice Crash Chieftain.

The basic math is:

-Ice Crash converts 50% of physical to cold
    -Cold to Fire gem converts 50% of cold to fire
    -Avatar of Fire converts 50% of physical to fire, and 50% of cold to fire

Once you've got that taken care of, you get to take advantage of all sorts of fun synergies:

-Fire Penetration and Weapon Elemental Damage become sick more multipliers
    -Added Fire Damage goes from good to very good (because it benefits from all your pen)
    -Similarly, Herald of Ash (and Hatred, whose added damage is fully converted to fire) goes from good to very good
    -Hinekora, Death's Fury becomes absurdly efficient
    -Lava Lash, The Wise Oak, and [Leap Slam - Curse on Hit - Flammability] give you yet more insane penetration

Last time I ran the character, I went 1H with a Soul Taker so that I didn't have to solve mana leech issues. This time, I'm taking the more straightforward approach of Kongor's Undying Rage and just pathing over to the Vitality Void cluster to get some mana leech. This also lets me take Elemental Overload (thanks for the idea, Mathil).

I think I'm gonna need a Sibyl's Lament...

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I'm a bit confused on the conversion;

Ice Crash - 50% phys, 50% cold
    CtF - 50% phys, 25% cold, 25% fire
    AoF - 25% fire + 12.5% fire + 25% fire = 62.5%

Wouldn't you be better off running molten strike with an additional support gem?

Molten Strike - 40% phys, 60% fire
    AoF - 20% fire + 60% fire
    Elemental Focus - 1.5 x 80% fire = 120% fire

• Options
    edited March 2017
    that's not how the damage conversion works.
    AoF + Cold to Fire + Ice Crash gives you
    50% of your physical damage converted to fire damage (50% phys->fire conversion from AoF). The remaining 50% physical is converted to cold (50% phys->cold conversion from Ice Crash), and 100% of that cold damage is converted to fire (50% + 50% Cold->Fire conversion from Cold to Fire & AoF), giving you 100% fire damage

P10 on
  • Options
    Molten Strike is pretty bad mechanically for clearing. The single target is phenomenal but the coverage is poor.

Conversion has some odd mechanics. It goes in order from Phys > Light > Cold > Fire > Chaos. It looks at your Phys > X modifiers, applies them, then your Light > X modifiers, applies them, etc. If your conversion exceeds 100% it applies at whatever ratio would fit 100%.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Makes me wonder if I chose the wrong path for my Slayer, since that Kongor + 100% elemental damage setup seems pretty powerful. Though going back to Ice Crash felt kinda lame when I was testing it out on a phys reflect map (since I added phys to lightning). A lot of the AoE nerfs have made some previously awesome skills not quite so great when they're not clearing the screen anymore.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Absalon wrote: »
    I got the Pledge of Hands for my Storm Call inquisitor. Ele reflect is now impossible, but otherwise it's smooth going thanks to MoM and all my crits. But damn do I need to get more life and ES before I start going for red maps. Breaches are very close to a death sentence.

We got some teasers for Act 5 in the way of music and environment shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHHeEL5QEpw

Yep, my Inquisitor is sitting at level 80 and 5112 life and benefiting from 2190 mana (but obviously has more than that and is running Clarity).
    At this point I'm running a Quartz Staunching Flask because degens are your archnemesis.
    I'm at that point where I would have to spend currency to get a bit of ES.
    So yes a point of frustration with the build is that it has okayish AOE but not really great clear speed. I figure either using Increased AOE or a 5L/6L Arc in the chest might help, but otherwise I haven't done Breaches with him yet.

I've gotta say it's more or less what I planned, which was for a not really glassy DPS machine. It has none of the armor, endurance charges of huge regeneration amounts that would make it as durable as some MoM builds I've done.

I took a week off and have no currency or maps really and have started an alt as I'm not sure I want to take the build to the full level 90+ and six link. That and I had another build idea I wanted to try. Yes, MoM again. Though this time it's Caustic Arrow with Hidden Potential. Since I figure one of MoM's strengths is that it really does not give a shit that you have crappy gear.

And holy bejeezus, Hidden Potential is the leveling unique. You really don't care about good gear early on.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    I need to hit 5000 life for sure, and I do have a 5L chest to go with my 5L Pledge so I might try adding Arc. For me, survivability is slightly more important than clearspeed anyway.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    So I'm a bit of lore wonk for this game.
    Story where we left off seems to be:
    You kill the Beast, but the Beast was keeping other gods in check.
    Gods wreak havoc and you have to go troubleshoot them, including possibly the Templar's god, which seems like a really puritanical vindictive Old Testament type of being.
    Oriath goes to shit and its citizens now have to come over to Wraeclast after you sort that mess out, which explains why you have frilly nobles hanging around Lioneye's Watch and some of them zombie-walking in the main trailer (The Black Spirit possessed some of them). The other exiles that once inhabited the Watch have now moved inland because your actions in A1 and A2.

One of the things about the setting is that magic seems to be, "eh whatever works."
    Karui are really into putzing around with ancestor spirits and putting them into totems and other objects. They also attribute most evil things, supernatural or otherwise, to one of their gods, Kitava. And they'd probably happily conflate the Beast and other gods as simply being Kitava.
    Elreon can apparently enchant religious iconography using the power of his faith. And Izaro is a big sentient skeleton man because the Goddess of Justice is his patron. Cadiro is immortal because he also found out about an ancient Azmerian god of commerce (Prospero) to be his patron. Rigvald struck a bargain with the First Ones, which seem to be something akin the Fair Folk, so that he could have their powers while fighting the Purity Rebellion.
    Witches aren't explained as a culture, but seem to be a "type," including the PC class, Alira and Catarina -- whether they're a muddled grab bag of eclectic folk religions (read: edgy teen hipsters who all shop at the Hot Topic) or a more distinct cultural tradition isn't explained.
    Zana explains that thaumaturgy is a suspension of natural law, literally supernatural, but that explanation isn't really satisfying. If it doesn't have limits, then why do other people practicing magic have limits and can't just choose to clap their hands and believe whatever?

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Thaumaturgy, unlocked by the "Tears of the Maji" or "Blood of the beast" (the skill gems) allow the transformation of will to reality. This is why you, as an exile focused on survival and combat, use skill gems for protecting yourself or taking down enemies, while the Eternals were more interested in using them for marvelous artistry (something that required implanting the gems in the flesh, rather than just gear). What they and the Vaal didn't know is that even as you are empowered to make your will reality, you get linked to the Beast and start becoming warped (as detailed in Victario's writings). When the beast awakens, you turn into a mindless monster.

(I assume the Reverie device operates on the same principle, transporting you into pockets of reality manipulated by another intelligence. The closer you get to the Shaper, the more his intent and willingness to protect himself is manifested.)

I think the reason Piety tended to use a lot of pain and awfulness in her attempts to fuse gems with people, in the same way the Eternals could, is that someone who is in a lot of pain has a tremendous momentary willpower. But, since the beast was awakened in the cataclysm, anyone who has a gem inserted is going to start getting warped into the kind of being you find in Sarn or Highgate. Dialla is the exception because she is a meticulously constructed gemling.

One thing I still don't fully grasp is what the Vaal under Atziri did to create their own cataclysm. It involved a lot of sacrifices and "Doryani's Cradle", and The Shaper writes about one scary reverie he had echoing that event, but it's not clear. I also don't understand what the Oversoul is supposed to be.

So yeah, this is one of the reasons I look forward to FoO just as much as I look forward to E3. I'll happily pay $30-40 for beta access even if I don't get any points.

Absalon on
  • Options
    My understanding was that the Shaper and the map device are proof of the multiverse theory and thus our reference point Wraeclast is the one where the magic/physics we use happen to operate the way they do. If we moved along the spectrum we'd see a variety of effects. You could even compare it to different patches if you were so inclined.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Vorici mentions that the Karui holymen chatter with spirits and that weatherworkers exist, but that these are simply weaker versions of what virtue gems let you do. He also recognizes that Haku and the Karui had secret magics that he acknowledges probably should've been the place Oriathans looked to for power instead of the dead Eternal Empire.
    He uses the metaphor that thaumaturgy is blood and the virtue gem is the heart. Basically, virtue gems just enhance what's already possible. This explains why all these other weirdos can do magic. Haku, Siosa, Izaro and Cadiro all draw their power from religion or their gods and that's the major theme going forward with 3.0, where you go kill some of these gods. I'm guessing the Allflame and Decanter Spiritus don't fall neatly into the "virtue gems dunnit" category, though I could be wrong. Elreon just dips a holy symbol into a fountain and boom, you have an amulet blessed with the power of his God.

So I'm wondering if the gods exist because they always have and mortals just choose to worship them, or if they're born from the collective belief of a people. But seeing as how the Templar religion is a relatively new invention, I'm guess that it's probably the latter.

As for the Oversoul, I just presumed that there isn't really much reason to overthink it. The Vaal are explained as a peaceful but militarily powerful culture. It's basically the result of Vaalish engineering that was intended to be a weapon of war and was either just abandoned or sealed in the pyramid. I sort of picture two guys slotting in keys and turning them at the same time to unleash this as a WMD against their foes.

I think Atziri's ritual was left intentionally vague and that the details don't really matter except that meddling with virtue gems on a large scale like this is generally just a bad idea. Probably because the power is under the sway of the Beast and was never really yours to begin with.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    Aktn BstrdAktn Bstrd Registered User regular

The crit is for Cyclone to keep up Elemental Overload. Base crit was not sufficient for good uptime on this.

My current setup has Cyclone proccing Fortify, EE and EO, and applying Flammability via Curse on Hit.

EDIT: Orb of Storms would be another option for this, but I'm not super keen on adding another cast to my rotation. I may experiment with it later on if I feel like I need to squeeze more life/damage out of the tree (my three jewels are all life/crit chance/area damage so it's not like I'm giving up much to get extra consistency on my EO).

CWDT lvl 1 with Ice Spear and whatever else (molten armor, GMP, arctic breath, etc) is an awesome way to keep crits happening for free. That way you don't have to worry about picking up any extra crit nodes for EO.

I think my set up was cyclone + curse on hit, flammability (plus jewelry that added cold and lightning dmg to proc EE), and fortify
    CWDT, Ice spear, GMP, Arctic Breath
    Vaal Haste, Purity of Fire, Vitality
    RF + the only options
    CWDT, Molten Shell, Immortal Call

the only cast besides auras was cyclone, made is super simple to play. I like that build... you should probably scoop up a legacy koam's heart while your at it.

• Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Absalon wrote: »
    Thaumaturgy, unlocked by the "Tears of the Maji" or "Blood of the beast" (the skill gems) allow the transformation of will to reality. This is why you, as an exile focused on survival and combat, use skill gems for protecting yourself or taking down enemies, while the Eternals were more interested in using them for marvelous artistry (something that required implanting the gems in the flesh, rather than just gear). What they and the Vaal didn't know is that even as you are empowered to make your will reality, you get linked to the Beast and start becoming warped (as detailed in Victario's writings). When the beast awakens, you turn into a mindless monster.

(I assume the Reverie device operates on the same principle, transporting you into pockets of reality manipulated by another intelligence. The closer you get to the Shaper, the more his intent and willingness to protect himself is manifested.)

I think the reason Piety tended to use a lot of pain and awfulness in her attempts to fuse gems with people, in the same way the Eternals could, is that someone who is in a lot of pain has a tremendous momentary willpower. But, since the beast was awakened in the cataclysm, anyone who has a gem inserted is going to start getting warped into the kind of being you find in Sarn or Highgate. Dialla is the exception because she is a meticulously constructed gemling.

One thing I still don't fully grasp is what the Vaal under Atziri did to create their own cataclysm. It involved a lot of sacrifices and "Doryani's Cradle", and The Shaper writes about one scary reverie he had echoing that event, but it's not clear. I also don't understand what the Oversoul is supposed to be.

So yeah, this is one of the reasons I look forward to FoO just as much as I look forward to E3. I'll happily pay $30-40 for beta access even if I don't get any points.

Yeah, a lot of the various descriptions of thaumaturgy are that you are using your will to alter reality, especially your dreams/nightmares. Somewhat similar to summoners in Final Fantasy X if you've played that.

Tasuni in Act 4 gives a lot of the details that we have about the Beast we have so far, if you believe him. It goes by many different names, like the Beast, Nightmare, etc., but it seems to be an extremely intelligent creature that may not have had a singular unifying will until Malachai came around. Malachai created the Reverie with inspiration given by the Beast in his nightmares, and based on most of the motif of maps and the Shaper's fragments seems to center around a similar idea of making worlds manifest from dreams.

The details of the Vaal cataclysm aren't entirely clear I don't think, but the more recent one was a direct result of Malachai merging with the Beast. As Tasuni said, the cataclysm wasn't an accident, but rather Malachai doing what he could to assert his will over the Beast, and he used its powers to warp Wraeclast and turn the Eternals implanted with gems into the undying that are running around all over the place. Those things aren't so much mindless, but rather bound to the will of the Beast/Malachai, and part of the cataclysm was him using them to wipe out dissent to his will by having them murder any non-gemlings they could find (the lore in the crossroads in Act 2 describes a case of this). As an aside, Tasuni describes these creatures as no longer needing spoken language, as they speak entirely through Nightmare.

As for the other religions, I originally suspected that the Eternal and subsequently Templar/Oriathian main god was a deception of the Beast, as it sounded like it first showed up in a dream to an Azmeri telling them that they should come down out of the mountains and repopulate the region around Sarn after the Vaal were mostly wiped out in their cataclysm. That sounds pretty suspicious, right? However it seems like the new characters of Innocence and Sin are pretty central in the Templar religion, and those two can be seen actually doing stuff in Act 5 in the released expansion announcement trailer.

For Elereon in particular, if you level him up all the way he lets the cat out of the bag and tells you that his relics and powers are directly using thaumaturgy, and gives an explanation to attempt to dismiss the apparent hypocrisy of that.

At least some of the Karui gods seem to be real entities, as we are going to run into Tukohama and kill and steal his powers in the expansion, he's one of the dudes in the minor pantheon. Kitava in particular seems like it will play an important role in all of this. I thought that Kitava was the Karui name of the Beast based the marauder's dialog (he yells about Kitava repeatedly towards the end of Act 4) and Haku's dialog, as Tasuni said that the Beast had many different names. However, killing the Beast in Act 4 doesn't seem like it is putting an end to Kitava. Based on the motif and descriptions in Kitava's unique items, it seems like he is the ugly X-faced dude at the top of pantheon picture.

As for witches, they are likely just folks using thaumaturgy, and probably in particularly socially unacceptable ways. Voll hated thaumaturgy and tried rather unsuccessfully to wipe it out in the Purity Rebellion, and the Templars are the remnants of his ideology. Piety and Clarissa were dealing in gems and it sounds like that is at least part of what got them in trouble with the theocracy.

Savant on
  • Options
    The developers answered more questions from the forum and among other things simply revealed that Kitava and the Beast are not the same, so that's good to know.

• Options
    Yes, I get the feeling that Karui tend to blame Kitava for everything. There's a link between cannibalism and Kitava as he's referred to as a "cannibal god." The Karui along the coast in act 1 refer to the Black Spirit and which I imagine they also associate with Kitava and possibly the "old ways" since there's one of those Karui lore rocks that mentions them ritualistically consuming the dead in order to divine a solution to the whole Black Spirit thing.

As a minor aside, I just put the crossroads lore down to the undead rising, similar to what happened to the Karui. Since we see skeletons there with farming tools. It also wouldn't make sense for mere farmers to be gemlings, since it's been characterized as something only the affluent could really afford. The "gem gentile" as Victario put it.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Wow you guys. My knowledge of the game lore is "here are some shiny gems that you pin onto your clothes. There are bad guys over there. Make them go away" :P

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Yes, I get the feeling that Karui tend to blame Kitava for everything. There's a link between cannibalism and Kitava as he's referred to as a "cannibal god." The Karui along the coast in act 1 refer to the Black Spirit and which I imagine they also associate with Kitava and possibly the "old ways" since there's one of those Karui lore rocks that mentions them ritualistically consuming the dead in order to divine a solution to the whole Black Spirit thing.

As a minor aside, I just put the crossroads lore down to the undead rising, similar to what happened to the Karui. Since we see skeletons there with farming tools. It also wouldn't make sense for mere farmers to be gemlings, since it's been characterized as something only the affluent could really afford. The "gem gentile" as Victario put it.

I thought I remembered something that said the Eternals implanted gems into their slaves as well, the ones they sent to the mines, to improve their output. At least some of Lioneye's troops were gemlings, too, as well as the gemling legionaries in the warehouse district zone. I don't think gemlings were purely restricted to the wealthy towards the end of the Eternal empire, once Malachai and his lackeys got his enterprise running full steam, though they might have been earlier on.

Yeah, part of the cataclysm had the dead rising too, especially against the Karui invaders. But I'm pretty sure the gemlings got their murder on as well, I think that one bit of lore of the guy describing the cataclysm as it was happening in the ruins of Sarn had that in it too. I'll check next time I run a character through there if I remember.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Wow you guys. My knowledge of the game lore is "here are some shiny gems that you pin onto your clothes. There are bad guys over there. Make them go away" :P

The lore is not quite at the level of Dark Souls presentation of having it almost all in bits and pieces spread out on item descriptions, but POE's is similar to that. It didn't make much sense the first time I ran through, but reading through the little lore pieces spread out all of the place and some of the things that put them together online made it a lot clearer. It really does start out with "who is this strange lady who is taunting and running away from you after you've mown down hordes of undead" for a new player.

Savant on
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    I'm using my LSC currency to revisit/improve on an old character that received some incidental buffs: the 100% fire conversion Ice Crash Chieftain.

The basic math is:

-Ice Crash converts 50% of physical to cold
    -Cold to Fire gem converts 50% of cold to fire
    -Avatar of Fire converts 50% of physical to fire, and 50% of cold to fire

Once you've got that taken care of, you get to take advantage of all sorts of fun synergies:

-Fire Penetration and Weapon Elemental Damage become sick more multipliers
    -Added Fire Damage goes from good to very good (because it benefits from all your pen)
    -Similarly, Herald of Ash (and Hatred, whose added damage is fully converted to fire) goes from good to very good
    -Hinekora, Death's Fury becomes absurdly efficient
    -Lava Lash, The Wise Oak, and [Leap Slam - Curse on Hit - Flammability] give you yet more insane penetration

Last time I ran the character, I went 1H with a Soul Taker so that I didn't have to solve mana leech issues. This time, I'm taking the more straightforward approach of Kongor's Undying Rage and just pathing over to the Vitality Void cluster to get some mana leech. This also lets me take Elemental Overload (thanks for the idea, Mathil).

I think I'm gonna need a Sibyl's Lament...

This sounds really cool, can you link a tree if/when you figure it out?

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    In the same vein, I think AoF is generally underrated especially with double dipping on ignites

It makes full conversion pretty simple for a lot of skills that lend themselves well to large initial hits for the ignite damage. I used it to great effect on a Rain of Arrows Chieftain

It's also right there in the Templar area by a life wheel and the dual curse wheel. It's a great node for a few more months

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    m!ttens wrote: »

Here is a very elegantly and well-summarized history of Wraeclast article over on the wiki.
    It's actually pretty amazing in that it has no speculative fancruft and everything is directly backed up with citations.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Hooray, finally hit 65, and now my RF chieftan can actually run RF. Super ridiculous fun! Now I just need to replace like every single piece of gear in an attempt to raise my life and strength while still keeping capped resists and socket colors. Fun times.

Question for you smarties: can CWDT cast Enduring Cry? I tried linking it up, but couldn't actually tell if it was casting, since there's really no boss without adds in Dried Lake, and as long as there's mooks around, I'm always at max endurance charges.