As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jackie Chan movies!

LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, untill last night I had never seen any of his classic movies (IE: any of the old dubbed ones). I saw Drunken Master last night, and then after it I found one where he's being chased by some gang, didn't catch the name of that one, but the point is, those two movies were better than all the others Ive seen (Rush Hour, Shanghai Noon, their sequals, the Tuxedo, etc. etc.) So I looked up a filmography of the guy and holy damn, he has made eighty billion movies. Basically what Im looking for is the best of the best, what are some of the really good ones?

That and a name for the gang one, I think the gang was trying to muscle in on some little shop and it kept getting wrecked, a running gag with that. Musta been totaled like 4 times.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Lardalish on

• Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rumble in the Bronx

DO IT!

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Super Cop
    Operation Condor (condor? maybe condor, or some other bird)

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Akilae729 wrote: »
    Rumble in the Bronx

DO IT!

Also, "Who am I?" was a decent flick. "Mr. Nice Guy" had a horribly cliched story and awful acting, but good action scenes, and a really hot redhead in her undies. ;)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    New Police Story so far, is my favorite Jackie Chan flick, followed by Who Am I? and Operation Condor.

Other good ones include Rumble in the Bronx, Mr. Nice Guy, Twin Dragons, and The Legend of Drunken Master.

tardcore on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Wow, fast responces, Il put all these on my list.

I think Ive seen Condor but its been awhile, doesnt he fight in a wind tunnel in that one? And man, I loved Drunken Master, watching Jackie act drunk and his mom act all sad and pathetic was pretty awesome, that coupled with the awesome fight scenes? but yeah, you guys already know how awesome that one is, thanks for the suggestions so far! Keep em comin!

Oh, any chance theres like a big collection with several of his movies?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Your best bet is to go find a place to rent some of them for cheap unless you're ready to throw down some big cash for the DVDs.

tardcore on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Who am I and Police Story are joyous

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    tardcore wrote: »
    Your best bet is to go find a place to rent some of them for cheap unless you're ready to throw down some big cash for the DVDs.

Most of these I plan on putting on my running christmas/birthday list for my family, so a DVD collection would be nice, but thats not a must or anything.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Jackie's movies tend to have the same working titles years apart. They could be sequels or remakes or share the same story elements and are just plain retold, you sort of have to watch them all to figure it out. Legend of Drunken Master is a remake / sequel to Drunken Master (they aren't really sequels or remakes exactly but they share more than the title), and there was a Police Story, Jackie Chan's Police story, Police Story 2, Police Story 3, and New Police Story. Rumble in the Bronx (Jackie being chased by a gang) is a sort of remake of Rumble in Hong Kong iirc, and I think Mr Nice Guy was a remake as well. I haven't watched any of his movies in a long time, but I must have watched 20 or so in succession about 8 or 10 years ago.

stigweard on
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You should also read his autobiography

its really fucking cool

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Half a Loaf of Kung Fu...the best title, the worst movie. You must watch it.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rumble in the Bronx and Who Am I? are the best [SIZE="-25"]period[/SIZE]

Re: nholder on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    First Strike
    Project A

And for fans of old-school, Snake In The Eagle's Shadow

The original Drunken Master (what people have been referring to in this thread so far is Drunken Master 2, released in the US many years later as Legend of Drunken Master) is pretty good too.

Sammo Hung, who frequently co-starred with Jackie, has done some stellar work, as well. Eastern Condors, Pedicab Driver, Enter The Fat Dragon (his Bruce Lee impersonation rules), The Magnificent Butcher. I could go on and on.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Am I the only one that thought Rumble in the Bronx was only okay?

Anyway, I'll try looking for some places that carry some of these DVDs for cheap.

tardcore on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ok, alot of votes for Who Am I? I guess thats what Ill try to get first. Heh

Lardalish on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    36 Crazyfists. (Not to be confused with the band of the same name)

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Just take a look at the beautiful poster for New Police Story.

Fuck

newpolice2.jpg

I think I'll go watch it again.

tardcore on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Even Jackie Chan has admitted as much. The weak finish with the hovercraft has always bugged him, but he couldn't help it. He broke his leg during that jump from the parking garage to the balcony across the street, and had to wear a hidden cast during the rest of filming.

And the "we should be drinking tea together" moment where he brings the gang around was pretty corny, too.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »

Even Jackie Chan has admitted as much. The weak finish with the hovercraft has always bugged him, but he couldn't help it. He broke his leg during that jump from the parking garage to the balcony across the street, and had to wear a hidden cast during the rest of filming.

I think a lot of people remember it fondly because it was their first Jackie Chan movie, being one of the few that got a stateside theatre release.

I forget the name of it, but there's one where he plays a Stock Car racer that I enjoyed seeing when I was young. I don't know how well it holds up to his other movies since I was young and, frankly, I don't remember if it was even subtitled or just in Chinese, but it was worth watching just for the car stunts they pulled off in addition to the normal Jackie Chan stunts, plus the ton of cars they totaled for said stunts.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Miracles

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    FromAlpha2OmegaFromAlpha2Omega Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oops you've seen it.
    The final battle with Thunderleg is probably the best choreographed fight scene of Jackie’s career. I can't believe he did the coals part twice.

FromAlpha2Omega on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    PROJECT A

RubberAC on
  • Options
    DRxAndyDRxAndy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    HEART OF DRAGON

DRxAndy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    That police story poster looks pretty serious, does it still have Jackie's sense of humor in it?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    Aaron LeeAaron Lee Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anything that stars Jackie, Sammo Hung, and Yuen Biao together is a win.

Aaron Lee on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Pretty much just go to your local store and rent all the Jackie Chan you can. That's the only way to figure out which ones you'll like and which ones you don't.

And always, ALWAYS wait for the blooper reels after the movie.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought "Master with Cracked Fingers" was great. It's the 70's kung fu equivalent of "They Saved Hitler's Brain"

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Which one was the one with the clogs?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Which one was the one with the clogs?

That was Who Am I?
    Lardalish wrote: »
    That police story poster looks pretty serious, does it still have Jackie's sense of humor in it?

New Police Story doesn't have as much humor. It starts out awfully dark, and then Jackie is drunk and miserable for a while, and then Nicholas Tse turns up and things start moving along.

Pretty uneven, but there's a cool fight toward the end.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    I thought "Master with Cracked Fingers" was great. It's the 70's kung fu equivalent of "They Saved Hitler's Brain"

Jackie Chan's first movie, also. I think. It's pretty awful, but there's some decent fighting in there, and the dialog is too hilarious to miss.

Also, check out City Hunter if you can find it. Based on an anime of the same name, it's fucking hilarious (includes Jackie Chan dressed as Chun Li fighting a dude dressed as Ken while street fighter music plays).

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PieManPieMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll throw my vote in for Project A as Jackie's best film. Jaw dropping from start to finish.

PieMan on
  • Options
    homargoodnesshomargoodness Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    no Armor of God love? that movie kicked ass

homargoodness on
    homarg00dness.png
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    no Armor of God love? that movie kicked ass

YES. Plus Operation Condor.

Dragons Forever
    Twin Dragons (funny)
    City Hunter (heh funny)
    Thunderbolt was the racing one, decent with the car stuff and fighting but not overly funny
    The Myth (pretty decent, not as much funny but a nice overall movie)
    Police Story 1 + 2 + 3

You can go here for a more complete list + some pretty decent reviews. http://www.lovehkfilm.com/people/chan_jackie.htm

Underdog on