As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raindrop/ [JOB] talk/ Typin' up reports in the hotbox

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Poor ol' Levy and Sale.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    So one of our customers has a new-ish policy in one of their plants that we supply, where if any wire used for their tires is open for longer than 24 hours, they automatically reject the wire and declare it unusable. This is largely silly, as the wire we produce has a shelf life of about six months as long as it's kept away from moisture, but that's neither here nor there.

For some reason, workers at this plant opened an absolutely massive amount of our bobbins, ran maybe half the wire off of most of them, and just left others with ripped open holes in the wrapping. They did this over and over and over, accumulating a staggering amount of reject wire. Now, rather than telling us about this as the wire was opened and left to sit too long, they held on to this wire, stuffing it into their warehouse and let it pile up.

FOR A YEAR AND A HALF.

The only warning we had that all of this wire was coming back to us for us to have to somehow deal with was a rather unceremonious email sent the day before the first truckload of this horseshit rolled in. Some of the wire that was opened less than six months ago we can simply run through one of our final processes to re-plate it and pack it back up for a different customer, but the vast majority of it has been sitting up for ages, some of it going back to Thanksgiving 2015. We're slated to get 135 racks of this shit back, which is over 11 full lots worth of almost completely useless product that we have no capacity to process properly, scrap properly, or even store. Our warehouse is already slam full as it is.

Nobody knows what we're going to do with all this crap. Some of management wants to scrap what can be scrapped and save what can be saved for maximum cost effectiveness, but we simply cannot store all of these returns while also dealing with our regular production. Others want to charge this customer (who are one of the biggest tire manufacturers in the world; if you took three guesses as to who they are, you'd almost certainly get it right) a massive processing penalty fee, reuse the wire that's not reached its expiry date, and simply junk the rest of it, sending it out on trucks to just be recycled by some third party.

We have no idea what we're going to do-- Oh who am I kidding, we're probably going to do like we always do and bend over backwards for a customer that habitually screws us over and spend a shitload of time and money to fix a problem of their own making.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Not bothering to apply to that position at work anymore. Shit went down and now I need to collect my thoughts, consult with my father about options, and make a decision as to whether or not I will choose to transfer elsewhere in the institution because I can no longer tolerate this boss.
    It started with her making a snipe at me in front of her friends. I don't remember the exact details, but it was enough that I stopped working, turned around to look directly at her, and said, "Are we really doing this right now?" with an angry look. That was the catalyst for a very bad day.

She sent her friends out of the cubicle and sat me down for a "talk." I did not vent nor did I let anger color my words. I expressed clearly and concisely my frustrations with the job and how I was being expected to do things she had not trained me on and refused to train me on citing her own workload. She kept twisting it around at me to insinuate that she had indeed trained me on every core aspect of the job or that I misunderstood what was told to me (Sorry but being told "We do not do this" doesn't leave much to misunderstand), and that we'd gone over the duty statement the week prior when I hadn't had any questions afterwards. I replied that it wasn't that I did not have questions, but rather that I didn't speak up about certain things without doing research and that I had done that research and I was not sure if some of the duties listed were within the scope of my job. Never once saying I wouldn't do them, but deferring and questioning. She immediately told me to wait there and was gone for about half an hour. She returned and told me we were now going to be having a meeting with the Warden and Chief Deputy Warden. Oh, but it wasn't a "disciplinary meeting" so I already knew I couldn't request for my union representative to be present.

What followed was some of the biggest bullshit I have ever witnessed. It wasn't a meeting so much as my boss starting off with a barrage of half-truths and lies that made me out to not only be incompetent but aggressive towards her orders while at the same time she claimed the higher ground. There were so many that I could barely even begin to dissect the error in each one. I didn't even get to respond, because as soon as my boss was done the Warden spoke up and said that she had informed my boss to report any instances of insubordination for discipline and that she didn't even let the CDW do those sorts of things to her. Any attempt at defense was shut down as they ignored the bulk of it and kept picking at the weakest points. My slowness was my fault because I should have been reaching out to other OT's for help instead of expecting my boss to train me. I should be able to prioritize my workload by deadline, which I do but is a bit of an issue when the vast majority of it has none beyond whatever she's wanting day-by-day. The best part, that I should be asking questions to clarify except I shouldn't be asking questions about "every little thing" and detracting from her work. The mass of lies had become "truth" to the Warden and CDW.

The meeting reached a head when the Warden asked if I thought I could do the job or if she "needed" to transfer me elsewhere in the institution. I stated that I can do the job if I just receive proper training but then here comes the roundabout. The CDW kept referencing to miscommunication between me and my boss, the Warden kept stating that she doesn't want a "robot" in my position, and my boss looking like the cat that ate the fucking canary. Warden even mentioned that she was surprised about this considering I had interviewed extremely well and all my references had been glowing. Gee I wonder why there seems to be a sharp disparity between what my entire work history has said and the sudden 180 my boss says I am now. Oh wait I KNOW. I finally said I can do the job in order to get out of the meeting and proceeded back to the office. The rest of the day was my boss being snide and being certain to imply to the CDW at a later meeting that the agenda hadn't been updated with more recent pictures because I hadn't done it, despite knowing that I hadn't even been the person to add that part to the agenda. But if there's an error to be found in her stuff then clearly it must be mine.

So, now I sit here with a half bottle of Coke and grenadine. The last time I felt like this it was when I worked at Walmart and the night manager had it out for me. The same feeling as when I was told that one more "mistake" then he would fire me. After that night I had driven to 7/11, purchased a Mike's Hard Lemonade, and nursed it all night as I thought about what I should do. Yeah, comical, but I was young and heard that alcohol helps when you're stressed. Also alcohol is bitter so yeah Mike's it was. Hilarious. Yet here I am in a similar situation with the knowledge that I am vulnerable. My boss will lie and it will be believed, I have no defense against her nor proof, any attempt to defend myself will be branded "insubordination" and punished. I already knew it might be difficult to beat the panel for the new position with my boss on it, but I'd held hope that I could do so well it'd prevent her from lowballing me (since all interviewers have to be within a point of each other on any particular question. The Warden though, she makes the ultimate decision as to who will be hired. Someone she considers "insubordinate" has no chance in hell and I can't do anything about it.

I don't really know where I'll go from here just yet until I talk to my dad. If I stay in the position I'm positive I'll end up self-destructing from trying to achieve unreasonable demands but at the same time if I move elsewhere in the institution I have no idea what would show up on my employment record if anything. "Went to a new job and ended up being transferred after two months for...wow what is this shit? Well I know who not to hire ever!"

Even now I dread the next day. When I know I'll have to go back and have my character assassinated, bearing each and every slight without recourse or escape. The planner is now useless, because my words are dirt to the highest level of authority in the place. Whichever route I take I can't even imagine being allowed to promote within the institution anymore.

Persona 5 is sounding real good right now. Rebellion against corrupt authority, yes I think I want a dose of that tonight.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Not bothering to apply to that position at work anymore. Shit went down and now I need to collect my thoughts, consult with my father about options, and make a decision as to whether or not I will choose to transfer elsewhere in the institution because I can no longer tolerate this boss.
    It started with her making a snipe at me in front of her friends. I don't remember the exact details, but it was enough that I stopped working, turned around to look directly at her, and said, "Are we really doing this right now?" with an angry look. That was the catalyst for a very bad day.

She sent her friends out of the cubicle and sat me down for a "talk." I did not vent nor did I let anger color my words. I expressed clearly and concisely my frustrations with the job and how I was being expected to do things she had not trained me on and refused to train me on citing her own workload. She kept twisting it around at me to insinuate that she had indeed trained me on every core aspect of the job or that I misunderstood what was told to me (Sorry but being told "We do not do this" doesn't leave much to misunderstand), and that we'd gone over the duty statement the week prior when I hadn't had any questions afterwards. I replied that it wasn't that I did not have questions, but rather that I didn't speak up about certain things without doing research and that I had done that research and I was not sure if some of the duties listed were within the scope of my job. Never once saying I wouldn't do them, but deferring and questioning. She immediately told me to wait there and was gone for about half an hour. She returned and told me we were now going to be having a meeting with the Warden and Chief Deputy Warden. Oh, but it wasn't a "disciplinary meeting" so I already knew I couldn't request for my union representative to be present.

What followed was some of the biggest bullshit I have ever witnessed. It wasn't a meeting so much as my boss starting off with a barrage of half-truths and lies that made me out to not only be incompetent but aggressive towards her orders while at the same time she claimed the higher ground. There were so many that I could barely even begin to dissect the error in each one. I didn't even get to respond, because as soon as my boss was done the Warden spoke up and said that she had informed my boss to report any instances of insubordination for discipline and that she didn't even let the CDW do those sorts of things to her. Any attempt at defense was shut down as they ignored the bulk of it and kept picking at the weakest points. My slowness was my fault because I should have been reaching out to other OT's for help instead of expecting my boss to train me. I should be able to prioritize my workload by deadline, which I do but is a bit of an issue when the vast majority of it has none beyond whatever she's wanting day-by-day. The best part, that I should be asking questions to clarify except I shouldn't be asking questions about "every little thing" and detracting from her work. The mass of lies had become "truth" to the Warden and CDW.

The meeting reached a head when the Warden asked if I thought I could do the job or if she "needed" to transfer me elsewhere in the institution. I stated that I can do the job if I just receive proper training but then here comes the roundabout. The CDW kept referencing to miscommunication between me and my boss, the Warden kept stating that she doesn't want a "robot" in my position, and my boss looking like the cat that ate the fucking canary. Warden even mentioned that she was surprised about this considering I had interviewed extremely well and all my references had been glowing. Gee I wonder why there seems to be a sharp disparity between what my entire work history has said and the sudden 180 my boss says I am now. Oh wait I KNOW. I finally said I can do the job in order to get out of the meeting and proceeded back to the office. The rest of the day was my boss being snide and being certain to imply to the CDW at a later meeting that the agenda hadn't been updated with more recent pictures because I hadn't done it, despite knowing that I hadn't even been the person to add that part to the agenda. But if there's an error to be found in her stuff then clearly it must be mine.

So, now I sit here with a half bottle of Coke and grenadine. The last time I felt like this it was when I worked at Walmart and the night manager had it out for me. The same feeling as when I was told that one more "mistake" then he would fire me. After that night I had driven to 7/11, purchased a Mike's Hard Lemonade, and nursed it all night as I thought about what I should do. Yeah, comical, but I was young and heard that alcohol helps when you're stressed. Also alcohol is bitter so yeah Mike's it was. Hilarious. Yet here I am in a similar situation with the knowledge that I am vulnerable. My boss will lie and it will be believed, I have no defense against her nor proof, any attempt to defend myself will be branded "insubordination" and punished. I already knew it might be difficult to beat the panel for the new position with my boss on it, but I'd held hope that I could do so well it'd prevent her from lowballing me (since all interviewers have to be within a point of each other on any particular question. The Warden though, she makes the ultimate decision as to who will be hired. Someone she considers "insubordinate" has no chance in hell and I can't do anything about it.

I don't really know where I'll go from here just yet until I talk to my dad. If I stay in the position I'm positive I'll end up self-destructing from trying to achieve unreasonable demands but at the same time if I move elsewhere in the institution I have no idea what would show up on my employment record if anything. "Went to a new job and ended up being transferred after two months for...wow what is this shit? Well I know who not to hire ever!"

Even now I dread the next day. When I know I'll have to go back and have my character assassinated, bearing each and every slight without recourse or escape. The planner is now useless, because my words are dirt to the highest level of authority in the place. Whichever route I take I can't even imagine being allowed to promote within the institution anymore.

Persona 5 is sounding real good right now. Rebellion against corrupt authority, yes I think I want a dose of that tonight.

Ugh. :bro:

I fucking HATE petty bosses with an axe to grind on their employees. There is nothing in this world that makes me angrier.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    koro, that last option seems like the best

but I'm not your bosses that seem to make literally the worst decisions possible all the time

"You need to review your processes internally and until otherwise, every unit shipped back to us will be charged a restock fee if it's usable, and a disposal and recycling fee if it's not."

The only way you don't do that is if there's competing businesses, but from the sounds of it there isn't, or else who the fuck would work in a factory that maims them without fail.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    bowen wrote: »

but I'm not your bosses that seem to make literally the worst decisions possible all the time

"You need to review your processes internally and until otherwise, every unit shipped back to us will be charged a restock fee if it's usable, and a disposal and recycling fee if it's not."

The only way you don't do that is if there's competing businesses, but from the sounds of it there isn't, or else who the fuck would work in a factory that maims them without fail.

This is the thing though: for the product we make, we have very little competition. We are in the position of strength in this particular arrangement between vendor and customer! Yet, we still continue to break our backs for certain customers to keep them happy, not for fear that they'll drop us as a supplier, but because then it'd be harder to keep convincing them to buy more wire than they actually need.

Looking at my monthly outbound schedule for May, some of the lists of what's going out for a couple of customers are already up to Revision 3 or 4, just from canceled/added orders. We haven't even started shipping this shit yet and they're already canceling orders because we keep convincing them to buy more wire than they need!

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

This is the thing though: for the product we make, we have very little competition. We are in the position of strength in this particular arrangement between vendor and customer! Yet, we still continue to break our backs for certain customers to keep them happy, not for fear that they'll drop us as a supplier, but because then it'd be harder to keep convincing them to buy more wire than they actually need.

Looking at my monthly outbound schedule for May, some of the lists of what's going out for a couple of customers are already up to Revision 3 or 4, just from canceled/added orders. We haven't even started shipping this shit yet and they're already canceling orders because we keep convincing them to buy more wire than they need!

They could be faking orders for commissions. The metrics might not account for the return material as an negative mark on their performance.

Considering how many other questionable things in the people running that division, I wouldn't doubt them finding some metrics to massage like this to hit the numbers.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    So I got a new job. The company is real cool, the atmosphere seems generally pretty chill, and I am tentatively hopeful about my coworkers proving to be decent people.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    So the military base I work near has this civilian director for most of the projects involving the base, I don't know the actual job title. Last week there was a company email that the guy was going into hospice...and yesterday his funeral went up on the company calendar.

I'm pretty sure I never met the guy, I'm too low ranking to have been in any of the meetings we had with him, but that whole sequence there bums the hell out of me. I've always been a slacker at heart, my life goal since I was 15 has been to retire so that someday I don't have to be working anymore. I think one of my biggest fears is that I'll get into my 60s, get sick, and die within a month or two without any chance of ever actually getting out of this work routine.

Here's hoping they invent immortality by time I get there

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    More POOP ADVENTURES with Mayabird!

Today a lady brought poop in a bucket. This is, admittedly, a more logical container than Christmas wrapping paper.

Unlike previous people though, who were supposed to bring a stool specimen for testing, she just brought it with her because she *knew* we needed to look at it. Because she had worms crawling under her skin, and the worms were crawling down her arms and jumping in her poop. She wanted us to tear into her stool right then and there to find the worms.
    1) I am not paid enough to deal with this shit.
    2) I am not trained enough to deal with shit.
    3) We don't have a fume hood for handling shit.

Finally got her to see a doctor who, after she refused a drug test, acquiesced to her getting a proper stool kit for collections. When the parasite tests come back negative, it probably won't stop her from believing in the mind worms contaminating her poo, but at least we'll have it on record.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    We showed our reveal trailer to millions ofsome people today. They seemed to like it. I've been getting some nice praise from people on a thing I'm working on, unrelated to said trailer. Today has been pretty good.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

I take it you can't call the union for help on this? Because it seems to me that your work history should be evidence in and of itself that something's funny. Not really well versed in the finer details of unions in general since I don't work in a unionized field.

Are you able to take notes whenever she talks to you to make a record?

Wish I could do something more than just spitball suggestions you've probably already thought of.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Polaritie wrote: »

I take it you can't call the union for help on this? Because it seems to me that your work history should be evidence in and of itself that something's funny. Not really well versed in the finer details of unions in general since I don't work in a unionized field.

Wish I could do something more than just spitball suggestions you've probably already thought of.

Union can't help until I am formally disciplined. This was just a "Here Are the Reasons You Suck" meeting but it won't go on record. That said, if they try to make me sign anything I'll be the first person to pick up the phone to my union rep. They can't actually discipline me though unless they can prove, with evidence, willful wrongdoing. I have to be breaking policy for adverse action.

Taking notes doesn't help because if my word is untrusted then written wouldn't be much better. I could constantly email supervisor with what she's verbally asking me to do that but that's just begging for another claim of insubordination and attitude.

However, I made up my mind on my way home today and it was further confirmed after speaking with my parents. Tomorrow I'm going in and drafting an email stating that I felt it would be in my best interests to be transferred elsewhere in the institution and send it to the CRM while CC'ing the Warden to prevent middleman fuckery. Once I have been placed in a new position I will then proceed to demonstrate exactly why my work record for the past three years has been stellar by knocking it out of the park. The goal of which would be to have the Warden checking up, finding out how well I'm doing, and getting suspicions as to why I had done so "poorly" in my current position. CRM may have the ear of the Warden, but wheels are grinding behind the scenes long before any of this. Slowly, but surely.

Honestly? It's no great loss. I was told that the job would prepare me to be an AGPA, not just an SSA, but it's just been the same grunt work as always except x10. I'll go somewhere I won't be constantly stressed out trying more and more to reach an ever-moving goalpost until I burn out. In the end these two months will be a blip on my predicted 20-30 years with state. It's going to be a bit bumpy in the coming months, but I've ridden out storms before.

Madican on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ah, I meant making records that you can give the union if needed. I agree it wouldn't do any good with the warden.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So sadly walking home or to work I get harassed by the cops a lot
    The problem is I have to show my id and stand there while they do things only this time not any of the previous over the last 8 months said I had a warrant out for me
    my neighbor and father had a huge fight years ago about when the neighbor attempted to set up a HOA and my father and others shot him down it really went before the city council where the city said enough of this BS no HOAs they are a subversive form of government and washed their hands of it so neighbor over the years has turned us in for the not pristine yard and claiming loudly to my brother and I that we are costing him 15k on his home's value
    But this time the cops all 3 of them said there was a warrant for my arrest over the yard but made no motion to arrest me
    I have received no summons in the mail or anything in the mail saying I had a warrant
    I feel this was a scare tactic as I feel it was a summons to court as my brother has said to them we can claim a hardship as we have no car

But what I don't understand is the 3 previous times I have been stopped and had to show my ID the officer did nothing or said I had a warrant

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I really love having to take over and working on a project that has some quite shoddy groundwork done at the start that you know will blow up at some time in the future but right know everybody's just trying to fix it with bandaids.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Polaritie wrote: »

Union can't help until I am formally disciplined. This was just a "Here Are the Reasons You Suck" meeting but it won't go on record. That said, if they try to make me sign anything I'll be the first person to pick up the phone to my union rep. They can't actually discipline me though unless they can prove, with evidence, willful wrongdoing. I have to be breaking policy for adverse action.

Taking notes doesn't help because if my word is untrusted then written wouldn't be much better. I could constantly email supervisor with what she's verbally asking me to do that but that's just begging for another claim of insubordination and attitude.

However, I made up my mind on my way home today and it was further confirmed after speaking with my parents. Tomorrow I'm going in and drafting an email stating that I felt it would be in my best interests to be transferred elsewhere in the institution and send it to the CRM while CC'ing the Warden to prevent middleman fuckery. Once I have been placed in a new position I will then proceed to demonstrate exactly why my work record for the past three years has been stellar by knocking it out of the park. The goal of which would be to have the Warden checking up, finding out how well I'm doing, and getting suspicions as to why I had done so "poorly" in my current position. CRM may have the ear of the Warden, but wheels are grinding behind the scenes long before any of this. Slowly, but surely.

Honestly? It's no great loss. I was told that the job would prepare me to be an AGPA, not just an SSA, but it's just been the same grunt work as always except x10. I'll go somewhere I won't be constantly stressed out trying more and more to reach an ever-moving goalpost until I burn out. In the end these two months will be a blip on my predicted 20-30 years with state. It's going to be a bit bumpy in the coming months, but I've ridden out storms before.

You (and your father) know the situation better than anybody here does but on the email thing: You don't say you want it for documentation, you say you want it to identify the communication issues that you are clearly having and as part of an improvement and correction plan to address it. By having that record of the initial request you can go back and see where the error was when you "misunderstood" it. Pitch it to the Warden as part of your own continuous improvement and an attempt to address the complaint about your work performance. Now obviously it is going to show your boss is the problem but to argue against it she has to go on record as failing to help you address her complaints which just helps build the case of her being unreasonable.

That said, it would still lead to months more of dealing with her so GTFO may be the better mental health play.

Edit: Hmm...and depending on how influential the Warden is on your future prospects it might make sense to pitch it knowing full well it will be shot down. "Well if she is unwilling to provide assistance in addressing her concerns maybe it would be best if I were transferred elsewhere."

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Edit: Nevermind.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I thought I had a bad day, but my sorta-boss was just shitty about signing for overtime. Never mind.

Edit: Which could come off as kinda shitty, so obviously nothing but hugs for everyone.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    So I just got brought into a meeting with my boss, the practice manager, and a few of the providers because apparently my system doesn't let people pick a specific ICD10 code for an insect bite, I guess.

them: "Your system doesn't allow us to pick certain codes and we've been telling you for several months"
    me: "This is the first time I'm hearing of it."
    t: "Well it still doesn't let us pick it."
    m: "Well you need to bring this up so I can actually resolve it, not just sit on your hands and then blame me and throw me under the bus, but I'm finding it hard to believe it isn't letting you pick the code."
    t: "Fine let me prove it"

She typed it in my program as "tick bite" and nothing pulls up.

So I said "alright so let's look up on google what code you're actually looking for" and she types the code into google straight out.

Unfortunately my boss didn't want to pay for a better ICD10 table so I'm using the publically released ones that are a bit sparing with their terminology, and there really isn't "synonyms". ICD10 calls it "insect bite" and has codes for where it is on the body. The free one also only has initial encounters instead of "sequela " codes for most of it. It drops the A/D/S modifiers from codes (initial, subsequent, sequela).

So I said "okay now instead of typing tick bite, let's use the proper ICD10 terminology for this code and see what it pulls up".

She does, and it pulls up literally every insect bite code.

And lo and behold, there is the code she was looking for, right then and there. I point to it, smugly, and say "It's right there, my system looks like it's working fine, where's the problem?"

My boss said "alright you can go" and I leave and shut the door and I guess they got chewed out for being lazy.

Now, there is a bug with the ICD code searching mechanism that lets you type the code straight in the search box, but how about you tell me instead of waiting several weeks and throw me under the bus when it comes back on you for a fuckup?

At least do your fucking home work before I fucking take you to school.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

The fallout here sounds a bit like what happened at my last job, although I had approached my bosses in good faith to discuss a transfer (and it led to that same response, having to pretend that I was fine with the current job, just fucking fine.)

All I can really do is reassure you that if you end up deciding to leave the company, there's probably other work that will be happy to have you. If you have other long-term work experience people will overlook the 2 month part; otherwise, the majority of my work has been 6 months or less, and yet I still land interviews and get jobs. It's not hopeless, much as the workplace atmosphere would have you believe. If anything, try to use the anger you've got here to motivate yourself to look.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I think my prospectus is done? Tomorrow when I go to the university to meet with my study group and go over the final, I'm going to head over to the professor and have him look at the paper and make sure I actually did it correctly.

There is over a 50% chance I did way more work than I needed to?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Technician: I need you to look at something for me, I just rebooted this machine

Me: The boot is a 15 minute process and I can't see anything until its done

Tech: Yeah can you stay on the line

Me: No, I have to be available for other calls, please call me back when its up

Tech: I'm not hanging up and if you do I will just call again. Stay on the line.

Cue me being on hold nearly 20 minutes.

Tech: Ok did you see it come up.

Me: Fucking yes, really? That was all. Fuck off. (I didn't really say this I just thought this)

You seem to work with some of the most immature assholes I've seen in a long time.

I don't work with these tech/customers. The techs work for the customers. But yes. I often wonder why someone whos job title contain the word "Technician" who makes about $10 more an hour then me (depends on the company) has to constantly act like a child and ask me to do their work for them or ask me how the fix stuff.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Man what is it about mid (and even top) level managers? I've had to deal with some shitty ones who are uneducated, don't know how to do their job, or just plain mean, but I thought maybe it was just me?

You guys, we all deserve better. I want you to know, we are all better then the shit we deal with day to day.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    nuka wrote: »
    I don't care honestly. I really like to help people, and kids are adorable even if can't compute around them. I just hate crowds and boy my store is crowded. There's a library across the street from my store and I just want to apologize I'M JUST DOING MY JOB I'M SO SORRY

Well with school libraries there are only two job types. Paraprofessionals and the School Librarians. The school librarians need a state teaching endorsement in libraries which usually involves either an undergrad degree in it or a master's degree which goes with the endorsement. Paras are assistants who do checkout and shelve books and such. They do not need any of that stuff and can be hired like any other job.

Public Libraries have a multitude of different types of jobs in a single branch. Here there are, Library Aides (Part-time), Library Clerks (Part-time and Full), Library Specialists (Part-time and Full), Librarian Is (Full), and Librarian IIs (Full).

III's are the system director and assistant director, II's are the branch managers. Is are standard librarians that can also be specialized in Adult, YA, children, or other fields. Some are also admin level or technical. These all require a minimum of a master's degree in library science from an ALA accredited university. Also these jobs are rare to see open as Librarians stay in the field a long time and lots of younger people have the Master's so each opening gets fifty or more applications.

Library Specialists are mini-librarians. They do reference work but also less glorious stuff like weeding, book displays, setting up programs, and community outreach. They do not require anything other than a college degree of any type, though here they are transitioning to wanting them to have library experience or education. Full time positions are also very rare for the same reason but part-time is more plentiful.

Library Clerks do circulation and circ related tasks and that it is. Closest to working retail. Again full time is hard to get.

Aides do the grunt work. Check-in, shelve, straighten, move things. Part-time only here and usually minimum wage.

In your area there are both the Seattle Public Library and the King County Public Library. Both are considered at the top level of public libraries in the country.

The simplest way to work at either is to check their job postings and apply. A quick glance showed several opening for various positions at both systems.

If you're a librarian in a public library, your most common interaction with the public is going to be computer instruction. There are still a lot of people out there who have successfully avoided using a computer until now, and they come to the library when they suddenly run up against a job application or health insurance program that they can't analog their way around. There are a whole bunch more people who use Yahoo mail and need your help getting their password reset. Also, teaching people how to use the library's emedia holdings, starting with "What is emedia?" Skills needed: patience, computer skills, and the ability to deliver clear verbal instructions in a calm, encouraging manner.

Your second most common interaction is what's called "ready reference." That's where you answer a question like "What's the newest James Patterson book?" or "Do you have any books about penguins?" or "When is Mother's Day?" These generally consist of a simple search of the library's catalog or Google, and seldom take more than a minute. This part of the job isn't really too demanding until your professional code requires you to find books about protecting your unvaccinated child from measles with homeopathy. Skills needed: basic Google, ability to hold your tongue.

Rarer than that, but the jewel of a librarian's day, is "in-depth reference." These don't have to be complicated, but they tend to be beyond the Google-fu of the average citizen. These tend to be mini-puzzles missing key information, such as "That movie with Rock Hudson where he punches Steve Cochran right in the face" or "A book where a construction crew finds a body in a field next to a lake and a French lady detective has to solve the murder, I think it was in England." You may also, depending on your skills and patience in this area, perform a great deal of genealogical research for people. Skills needed: lateral thinking, advanced Google, active curiosity.

That's just the reference desk. If you're working in a large library, you'll probably have a quite specialized set of off-desk duties. You might be in charge of weeding the feature films or the picture books, or you may do programming for children, teens, or adults. If you're working in a small library, you'll probably have a combination of collection development, reference, and programming duties.

Oh, and especially if you're working for a large core library like Seattle Public, you're likely to encounter the homeless, the insane, and the profoundly intoxicated on a daily basis. Your job there is to ignore as many harmless eccentricities as possible and to step in quickly and decisively when not-so-harmless eccentricities start to degrade the library experience for other patrons. You will also end up cleaning up every substance the human body can produce, and a few that I'm convinced are probably new to science.

I'd follow Timspork's ghostly advice and see what jobs are available that don't require an MLS and see how you like the library environment. If you have cash register experience, you've got a good resume for a circ clerk, and you'll probably make at least as much as most retail jobs with better benefits. If it seems like the path for you, many large systems will even offer scholarships for employees who want to get their library degree.

I sell liquor to those homeless people. The Capitol Hill branch is pretty bad. There's some areas of the library I won't go. The study rooms do not appear safe, it's the building with the only public restroom in blocks that doesn't ask you to buy something. There's fights, drugs, and I see it as the nearest worst library in the area. What is appealing is that a lot of it just seems like what I already do, but I get to be more nerdy about random information.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    @Jedoc @timspork's ghost
    I went to the local music store today, and I'd always wondered why the building seemed more grandiose than necessary.

Turns out, it used to be a bank.
    The choral music section is in vault, complete with the thick steel door.

I was like, i know librarians take their collections seriously, but this is next level.

I bet Giles wishes he had that instead of the cage.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    @Jedoc @timspork's ghost
    I went to the local music store today, and I'd always wondered why the building seemed more grandiose than necessary.

I was like, i know librarians take their collections seriously, but this is next level.

Man I want a library in an old bank. I'd put the YA section in the vault.

Bring a whole new meaning to teen lock-ins!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    @Jedoc @timspork's ghost

Local Librarian Admits to Wanting to Seal Children in a Vault

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    @Jedoc @timspork's ghost

"I would have gotten away with it too, if not for those meddling kids and their dog!"

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Man what is it about mid (and even top) level managers? I've had to deal with some shitty ones who are uneducated, don't know how to do their job, or just plain mean, but I thought maybe it was just me?

You guys, we all deserve better. I want you to know, we are all better then the shit we deal with day to day.

Yeah I have no idea how these people become managers.

Especially the ones that are selectively mean and selective enforce/punish people.

That is entirely the wrong way to do things!

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    The mid level managers who are good at their jobs don't stay mid-level managers

Also self-promoting assholes will always rise to the top, to some extent

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    @Jedoc @timspork's ghost

Children, today we will be learning about the classic Edgar Alan Poe short story, The Cask of Amontillado.
    I have some very excellent copies of it for you if you'll just step through here.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

We have performance reviews today. Am trying to be a self-promoting asshole right now. 5 out of 5, across the board.

(This is a lot easier to do when the company is not doing well and there is no money for raises).

• Options

peter principle I guess

• Options
    Guys. I feel so much weight off my shoulders after finishing this prospectus and final.

Just so much.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    One of my landarch co-workers is going to an invite only party of her landarch (now retired) friend to celebrate the flowering of a handkerchief tree.

A party to celebrate a tree flowering!

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Also management in general sounds like a nightmare shit show that I would like to stay away from as long as possible.

I have a friend who fell into the engineering management trap and he sure has some stories.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Also management in general sounds like a nightmare shit show that I would like to stay away from as long as possible.

I have a friend who fell into the engineering management trap and he sure has some stories.

You're right! Don't do it! They take away all the parts of the job you actually got in the field for and replace it with performance evaluations and petty bullshit!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Sent off an application for an Intelligence Analyst job that closes tomorrow.

I already work in intelligence but in a more basic role.

I really need something more stimulating plus if i get the new job I'll be able to work towards several qualifications which will open up my career nicely.

Slight pay drop but it's better hours and as above I'll get qualifications.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    As in business intelligence or super secret intelligence

This discussion has been closed.