As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raindrop/ [JOB] talk/ Typin' up reports in the hotbox

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    today I met a rhino vet!
    Sadly, he didn't bring any rhinos along.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    today I met a rhino vet!

His credentials are lacking then.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    today I met a rhino vet!

I don't know what it says about me that the first thing this conjured up was something approximating this GIS result

cartoon-rhino-doctor-illustration-scrubs-47477416.jpg

The reality was a bit disappointing :(

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I mean, I know its a quick google, but you guys are pretty rad about weeding out awful boomer-esque advice. (Oh just walk in with a smile and a firm handshake and talk to the manager and boom job get. Why is it so hard for you to understand?)
    Radiation wrote: »
    Job thread, any good spots/blogs for interview advice and dress attire for women? Wife is going to do a job fair thing and my advice only goes so far.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    today I met a rhino vet!

Did he bring heartbreaking stories about animals being left to die with their faces chopped off?

• Options
    today I met a rhino vet!

Did he bring heartbreaking stories about animals being left to die with their faces chopped off?

:(
    no, but he did tell us about lions who wandered down from Etosha and got killed by locals. Apparently they're embarking on a mass dehorning program to try and save the local rhino subspecies.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Isn't Papa John himself kind of a shitbird?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

ze1to2k79kny.jpg

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    And also if you're a driver for Papa John's and you get robbed and they get more than like $20-30 (I forget the number, less than $50) you're fired because company policy is you shouldn't have that much cash on you

Man fuck Papa John's

I know this is petty and silly and not important

but they threw a bunch of money at the MLB to make them call grand slams "papa slams" instead

and it's just the dumbest thing in the world and I hate it

also their pizza sucks

Serious question: why do I hear so many different reviews of Papa John's pizza? Is it a franchising thing, like with some Arby's being good and others being terrible?

It's a franchise, like a lot of big pizza delivery places.
    Their pizza is like, one step above Little Caesars, but at least Little Caesars has the benefit of being dirt cheap.

Hot take: Little Caesars is actually better than papa johns if you get the pizza freshly made.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Label wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Looks like the slide is locked back (the silver tip at the front end of the gun is the exposed barrel), the gun is inoperable in that situation. Now either there is a fresh magazine in the gun and a quick flip of a switch will make it operable scary fast, or the gun is empty. Now it looks like there is a bullet visible in the top of the magazine, so while the gun isn't immediately dangerous its still no laughing matter.

It looks like when the slide is racked, in theory charging the gun, a bullet is picked up from the magazine and jams on the edge of the barrel (maybe a double feed?), keeping the slide held back and rendering the gun not immediately functional.

Probably easily and quickly fixed by racking the slide again, but not able to shoot until the malfunction is cleared.

If the guy actually knew how to handle a gun, he wouldn't have racked the slide that slowly in the first place.

A lot of the time he'd have to lock the slide back, take out the magazine, let the round fall, reseat the mag, and most cases rack the slide again

But in any case the clerk handled that the right way

Am I the only one that thinks the clerk looked super bored through that whole exchange?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I mean, I know its a quick google, but you guys are pretty rad about weeding out awful boomer-esque advice. (Oh just walk in with a smile and a firm handshake and talk to the manager and boom job get. Why is it so hard for you to understand?)
    Job thread, any good spots/blogs for interview advice and dress attire for women? Wife is going to do a job fair thing and my advice only goes so far.

Ask a Manager is super good at modern job advice, and she's touched on interviews several times.

Here are her takes on interview clothing, business casual for women, makeup, interview questions, and salary negotiation.

One of my favorite things about the site is that they've got a really good and supportive community of professionals looking to help younger people out, so my advice to your wife is to search the archives for any question she has and then read all the comments in addition to the article. This isn't YouTube, and bad advice usually gets called out pretty quickly.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Performance reviews at my office are a complete fucking joke. Aside from the fact that they get later and later every year (It's supposed to be on your work anniversary, and now it's taking up to a month and a half later), the main problem is that the company owner does all of them. The company is currently about fifty people or so, the owner isn't a direct manager of anyone other than the senior-most people. And me? I only talk to the guy for about five minutes a year, and that's at the performance review. Last year I don't think it even lasted that long.

To make things worse, our company is set up so that tech leads manage projects - not people. There's times when I've been reporting to three different tech leads at once, never mind over the course of a full year. In other words, there's literally no one at the company but me who's actually aware of what all I've been working on over the course of a given year.

I have absolutely no idea how the report cards for our performance reviews are put together. I'm pretty sure the owner doesn't even know what project I'm working on at any given moment.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

Very conservative, opposes raising the minimum wage, shitty benefits for employees, the whole package.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure he's proudly supported keeping wages low in the past.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Yeah I think he's one of the shitfaces, with mcdonalds, that did the whole "well each store is its own franchise so I technically don't set the rules for how they pay their employees" garbage.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

I'm pretty sure he's proudly supported keeping wages low in the past.

I think he specifically said he didn't want to offer health care to his employees because it'd raise the cost of pizza by a dime.

• Options
    To be fair, I would definitely never buy pizza again if it was ten cents more expensive. That's just a fact.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile, I think it was the Little Caesars founder who was seen as the patron saint of Detroit? He passed recently (heard about it because he owned several Detroit sports teams) and there was a lot of talk about how he was one of the best sports owners ever, and how much he did for the community.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Car fire in the parking garage this morning.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Weaver wrote: »
    Car fire in the parking garage

These Panic! at the Disco cover bands are really reaching.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Looks like we're gonna have to throw a bunch of stuff out due to smoke damage. Had to walk by our cheese counter - "Hey, it's all smoked cheese now!"

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Man, resumes are hard.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Car fire in the parking garage

These Panic! at the Disco cover bands are really reaching.

Anxiety at the dentist's office.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I figured out how to do something with our software that our trainer(s) had been treating as impossible, and it's the happiest and most excited I've been since our company switched. I hope I'm actually allowed to use this information to help customers.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Went home early because the HVAC system was still blowing bad fumes from hours after the fire was put out. Everyone working near the vents was lightheaded, burning throat, headache, stinging eyes. We had a corporate rep there who just decided to open the store at one point, none of us ever saw the city official we'd been told over and over again we were waiting on. I have a feeling this is gonna end up being a big deal.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Went home early because the HVAC system was still blowing bad fumes from hours after the fire was put out. Everyone working near the vents was lightheaded, burning throat, headache, stinging eyes. We had a corporate rep there who just decided to open the store at one point, none of us ever saw the city official we'd been told over and over again we were waiting on. I have a feeling this is gonna end up being a big deal.

I remember your sister store i patrolled being told similar promises when wind took out the power.

I cannot remember entering your building's underground parking garage any time in the last 15 years.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile, I think it was the Little Caesars founder who was seen as the patron saint of Detroit? He passed recently (heard about it because he owned several Detroit sports teams) and there was a lot of talk about how he was one of the best sports owners ever, and how much he did for the community.

Mike Ilitch (the Little Caesars founder) was a huge Detroit booster. Moved his HQ downtown, fixed up an old theater to make it a cultural venue again again, yes also to owning the sports teams but he intentionally kept them downtown even when all the other sports owners were trying to move them to suburbs or more profitable cities, built a park, invested in businesses and entire developments while everyone else was fleeing Detroit. The man loved his city even as it was being seen as a symbol of urban decay and worked like crazy to save it.

Also paid Rosa Parks' rent for the last decade of her life, and did it quietly, so people didn't hear about it until years after her death. Since he didn't announce it loud and publicly, he obviously wasn't doing it for attention or kudos. Parks was pretty destitute in her last years so for Ilitch, it was just the right thing to do.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

Mike Ilitch (the Little Caesars founder) was a huge Detroit booster. Moved his HQ downtown, fixed up an old theater to make it a cultural venue again again, yes also to owning the sports teams but he intentionally kept them downtown even when all the other sports owners were trying to move them to suburbs or more profitable cities, built a park, invested in businesses and entire developments while everyone else was fleeing Detroit. The man loved his city even as it was being seen as a symbol of urban decay and worked like crazy to save it.

Also paid Rosa Parks' rent for the last decade of her life, and did it quietly, so people didn't hear about it until years after her death. Since he didn't announce it loud and publicly, he obviously wasn't doing it for attention or kudos. Parks was pretty destitute in her last years so for Ilitch, it was just the right thing to do.

And then you have Papa John, who gets blackout drunk at football games and brags about having a giant rotating elevator under his house to store all his cars.

The only time I ever eat Papa John's is if it has already been paid for by a third party.

I'd rather eat a still frozen Kroger Brand piece of pizza bread than do anything to line that fuckers pockets.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    And also if you're a driver for Papa John's and you get robbed and they get more than like $20-30 (I forget the number, less than $50) you're fired because company policy is you shouldn't have that much cash on you

Man fuck Papa John's

It is, in theory, a safety issue. You getting robbed of that much money makes other drivers inherently less safe, they look like better targets now. In ages bygone if a driver got robbed of less than $20, corporate policy was to make sure the amount was published, since that made their drivers seem like bad targets.

But also Papa John's was the first pizza company to reclass their drivers as tip-credit so they didn't have to give them raises like ~10 years ago. They didn't want to bump them from $6.55 to $7.25. Managers in the stores generally supported the idea, because drivers were already making as much as most managers were (factoring in tips but not salary bonuses). Now drivers make ~$5 and managers still make like maybe $40k, plus bonus (store general managers, every one else is in-store is hourly and probably doesn't clear $18/hr most places).

Yeah I spent a lot of time working for PJs over the years, I know some shit

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Man fuck Papa John's

It is, in theory, a safety issue. You getting robbed of that much money makes other drivers inherently less safe, they look like better targets now. In ages bygone if a driver got robbed of less than $20, corporate policy was to make sure the amount was published, since that made their drivers seem like bad targets.

But also Papa John's was the first pizza company to reclass their drivers as tip-credit so they didn't have to give them raises like ~10 years ago. They didn't want to bump them from $6.55 to $7.25. Managers in the stores generally supported the idea, because drivers were already making as much as most managers were (factoring in tips but not salary bonuses). Now drivers make ~$5 and managers still make like maybe $40k, plus bonus (store general managers, every one else is in-store is hourly and probably doesn't clear $18/hr most places).

What if someone paid for their pizzas in cash? Could pretty easily get over $50 in a single delivery.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Man fuck Papa John's

What if someone paid for their pizzas in cash? Could pretty easily get over $50 in a single delivery.

Ah but you see you're not supposed to leave the store with more than two orders at a time! So if they got more than your previous order +$20, you fucked up.

It's....it's political bullshit that's ultimate goal is only to reduce costs to the company by way of saying "yes we will require all sorts of bullshit of our employees in exchange for you charging us a few pennies less."

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    a google robotics mailing list I subscribe to just pinged me with an announcement from THE CHURCH OF SATAN about something to do with apartheid.

I don't think I'll chase it up.

• Options
    Now I'm curious. Are the Satanist robots for apartheid, or agin it? I can honestly see it going either way.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    It was the same at Dominos. We weren't supposed to leave the store with more than our £10 float and had to cashdrop everything above that.

Which caused problems when someone tried to pay for a £25 order with two £20 notes. I often had to use my own money out of my car to cover change when I was short.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Kitchen Manager, you fucked up.

Picking a fight with the guy on the pizza station over one mistake and firing him on the spot was bad.

What's worse is that you did it approximately five minutes before the 70 person pizza party (teenagers) was supposed to start on a Sunday night; somehow worse than that was that you did it ON THE FUCKING LINE in full view of every line cook and at least five servers. The fact that the entire conversation took 30 seconds of back and forth yelling does little to mitigate the damage of losing one of the hardest working cooks you have ... and the guy is barely 21 years old, was proficient on almost every station and showed up to every shift with a smile.

Pride goeth before the fall, chief.

Unless he threatened to kill or hurt someone, you should have diffused the situation and resorted to some form of corporately mandated discipline.

*sigh*

I honestly thought this place would be different.

Oh well.

• Options
    My day has started off great with my 2tb USB drive seeming to be fucked. For the past hour or so it just wouldn't show up in My Computer at all, now it is but trying to access things leads to my file explorer hanging. So that's all my work and more importantly all my photos/videos since the start of 2017 potentially lost.

It might have something to do with my colleague dropping the fucking thing on a concrete floor yesterday. I know it was an accident but I'm finding it hard not to be really pissed off with him right now.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    well, shite.
    a professional might be able to recover most of the data, if you can just hang on to it till you can find one.

edit: is it a solid state drive or mechanical? If the latter, stop trying to access it - probably just gonna damage it further.

tynic on
  • Options
    It's a WD My Passport Ultra. I always assumed it was a SSD but I actually don't know, and if it was then a drop probably wouldn't fuck it would it?

Fuck this is annoying.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    looking at the data page, I'd say it's not, no.

And yeah, an SSD could probably have taken the hit. Best to tape it in bubble wrap and see what you can do - eventually - in a city.

tynic on
  • Options
    On the upside I just checked and found I still have all my photos from February onwards on my laptop, so I've only lost the stuff from January which wasn't much. So that is a HUGE relief if still not ideal. I can redo all the work, I can't retake the photos.

This discussion has been closed.