As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raindrop/ [JOB] talk/ Typin' up reports in the hotbox

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Also the newest fad of these high school students is playing original ass Counter-Strike. Like pre 1.6.

Wait why?

You got me. I keep seeing them starting up a dust map. I am currently watching two yahoos trying to do a lan game and I keep blanking out their screens with a cute cat picture that says, "How's your homework coming?"

Amazing.

Please tell me you're doing it as they engage one another in combat

Oh absolutely. I am doing it at the worst moments.

Your student's rage sustains me.

Are they smart enough to be using flash bangs or are they just running around with newbie sticks?

They are buying guns. I took control of a kid at start, spent on his money on the worst guns and then used up all the ammo then let him have control again. I then blanked his screen the moment he saw someone.

Kid had it coming. Keep fighting the good fight.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Also the newest fad of these high school students is playing original ass Counter-Strike. Like pre 1.6.

Wait why?

You got me. I keep seeing them starting up a dust map. I am currently watching two yahoos trying to do a lan game and I keep blanking out their screens with a cute cat picture that says, "How's your homework coming?"

Amazing.

Are they smart enough to be using flash bangs or are they just running around with newbie sticks?

They are buying guns. I took control of a kid at start, spent on his money on the worst guns and then used up all the ammo then let him have control again. I then blanked his screen the moment he saw someone.

You have a good job.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Wait why?

Amazing.

This sounds like an incredibly effective deterrent!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    As of right now my productivity is over 400%. If I can manage to keep this up over weeks/months, it's sure to either piss someone off or send someone into a panic. I'm enjoying the fuck out of that knowledge (the only enjoyment I can get out of this job anymore, sadly), because this is a much more effective protest than me putting in a ticket or telling management that their systems are broken and wrong. Someone's gonna pay for that 400%, and it's not gonna be me because union.

Are you not opening yourself up to some (unofficial) retaliation from the union side due to "making others look bad"?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Wait why?

Amazing.

You have a good job.

I am doing this while eating lunch. It is pretty great.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Skeith wrote: »
    So a position I'm after had more than three hundred applicants, which is why I hadn't heard back (and won't until next week, which may be optimistic). Guess that's what happens with library work that doesn't require a MLIS, but hopefully having one and some library experience pushes me into the "interview these people" pool.

Library experience is exceedingly rare and valuable for non-MLIS positions. Especially if your library system posts jobs on the city or county job site, since the vast majority of applicants on those sites are applying for every job on the site whether they're qualified or not.

There are still some managers who don't want to hire someone with a degree for a non-degreed position because they don't want to have to rehire once they get a librarian position. But now that we're recovering from the Librarian Glut of '09, I think it's more common for managers to prefer having a really qualified circ clerk for six months rather than trying to hire some rando and hope for the best. Good luck!

This is what I'm banking on, I'd totally use it as a springboard for a librarian position within the same county.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular

Is that when you could still plant the bomb anywhere on the map? Cause that version was the best.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Eh. We used to roll up Quake or basic emulators back in our high school computer labs too. You ain't gonna install fucking Crysis on those machines, even if they're technically capable of it.

(Though we also used to play CS. But only after school.)

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    NEW PLAN

BEER AND GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

NO ONE CAN STOP ME HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yes but how would you say that in Mandarin

XIN DE JIHUA

PIJOU GEN GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

MEIYOU REN NENG TINGZHI WO

Edit: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

A more accurate way would be to say 没有人不能阻止我。 Conveys impossibility.

Also I'm using you to brush up on those differences between 能,可以,会so thanks

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    We didn't play games on school computers, we made games.

(Or, more accurately, dicked around with Scratch.)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    As of right now my productivity is over 400%. If I can manage to keep this up over weeks/months, it's sure to either piss someone off or send someone into a panic. I'm enjoying the fuck out of that knowledge (the only enjoyment I can get out of this job anymore, sadly), because this is a much more effective protest than me putting in a ticket or telling management that their systems are broken and wrong. Someone's gonna pay for that 400%, and it's not gonna be me because union.

Are you not opening yourself up to some (unofficial) retaliation from the union side due to "making others look bad"?

Nah. Never had that happen from the union side, not in my 10 years of being here. The union will get upset if you have special privileges others don't (that's why we are no longer allowed to bring laptops to work), but they've never given me trouble for being "too good" at work.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    After school we used to play Trade Wars on the school BBS or black and white golf (Links maybe?) on a Mac.

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    My Elementary School history teacher once dragged me out of another class because, "This kid knows computers and I have some important work to do, and it's not running properly."

I reseated some RAM for him so he could continue to play Wolfenstein 3D.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I want to add to my statement that while the union has never been bothered about either exceptional productivity or low productivity, I have certainly had multiple attempts from management to keep my department from being too productive. That's what makes me certain, especially with my current company, that someone in management will be in cold sweats about 400% productivity.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    We didn't play games on school computers, we made games.

(Or, more accurately, dicked around with Scratch.)

The one year I had AP computer programming (in TurboPascal!!) we used to get some networked games going since our instructor had no idea what he was doing and there were at least a few students who were way ahead of him in programming ability.

The other years with way less computer lab access we programmed our own games for TI and HP graphing calculators. I got better at programming doing that than I did in the AP class.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I do not care one lick if a student is playing game on my computers after school or during study hall. If you are in a class and supposed to be working, then you better believe I will take control of our computer and make you watch the history channel show I was in on youtube.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I am now sitting around a fire with my colleagues, drinking and chatting with one of the top experts in my field about how he met his girlfriend and his past jobs. Hyenas were wooping somewhere nearby a few minutes ago. Moments like this I really struggle to understand why anyone would do anything else.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    I am now sitting around while chatting with one of the top experts in my field about how he met his girlfriend. Hyenas were wooping somewhere nearby a few minutes ago. Moments like this I really struggle to understand why anyone would do anything else.

I was at a restaurant once after a re-enactment. Sitting to my right was THE expert on the US military in the War of 1812. Sitting to my left was the historical advisor on many famous late 1700's to early 1800's period movies.

It was god damn unfair how I could not listen to both those conversations at once.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Man, I'm all nervous on the job front today

I did hear back just now from the Science Center guy, and they're apparently going to be making a decision next week

This is the role that can't pay me near enough to really get by here though, so...

Still no response after my two-week-followup I'd sent on Monday to the laser place, and I'm having difficulty finding other roles to apply to, and there's a part of me that's just ultra anxious now about whether or not I'll be able to find anything soon and it suuuuuuucks

Not sure if I should send a second follow-up on Monday or wait til I hit the one month since the interview mark, so as not to be too overbearing

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Falx wrote: »
    My Elementary School history teacher once dragged me out of another class because, "This kid knows computers and I have some important work to do, and it's not running properly."

I reseated some RAM for him so he could continue to play Wolfenstein 3D.

My 6th grade teacher would occasionally start class by complaining about how he'd had a really good game of Lord of the Realm going until the Pope blessed one of his rivals.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I learned how to play Magic from a few students in my study hall during the 2 years I was a teacher. I also still have the chess board we used to play on during those study halls and it's been nearly 20 years.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

I did hear back just now from the Science Center guy, and they're apparently going to be making a decision next week

This is the role that can't pay me near enough to really get by here though, so...

Still no response after my two-week-followup I'd sent on Monday to the laser place, and I'm having difficulty finding other roles to apply to, and there's a part of me that's just ultra anxious now about whether or not I'll be able to find anything soon and it suuuuuuucks

Not sure if I should send a second follow-up on Monday or wait til I hit the one month since the interview mark, so as not to be too overbearing

I'd say following up each week is definitely not overbearing, but that's my opinion. I'd call it eager.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

I'd say following up each week is definitely not overbearing, but that's my opinion. I'd call it eager.

Yeah, I have definitely done that before, like at this company, when the (evil) boss didn't reply to my e-mails for a month, until I called into the office and the accountant/assistant got the message to her; same with the previous one, where the HR lady was definitely overworked and I had to do a barrage of e-mails and phone calls to get her to keep proceeding on the hiring process

In the interview he said he'd get back to me within 2 weeks and Monday'll make it 3

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

Yeah, I have definitely done that before, like at this company, when the (evil) boss didn't reply to my e-mails for a month, until I called into the office and the accountant/assistant got the message to her; same with the previous one, where the HR lady was definitely overworked and I had to do a barrage of e-mails and phone calls to get her to keep proceeding on the hiring process

In the interview he said he'd get back to me within 2 weeks and Monday'll make it 3

They gave you a window and haven't met it, I think you're fine to email.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Oghulk wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    NEW PLAN

BEER AND GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

NO ONE CAN STOP ME HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yes but how would you say that in Mandarin

XIN DE JIHUA

PIJOU GEN GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

MEIYOU REN NENG TINGZHI WO

Edit: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

A more accurate way would be to say 没有人不能阻止我。 Conveys impossibility.

Also I'm using you to brush up on those differences between 能,可以,会so thanks

My preferred way is to do so while stabbing a Chinese dictionary until I am sated.

Quid on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    First day at new gig. Everyone is nice, I'm already contributing (I think) and I no longer have to manage people. Cool stuff. I'm also in the innovation area, so we have 3d printers, a surface studio and tons of other toys.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Cinco De Mayo on a Friday. This should be a fun day at work.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

At least it's not a full moon?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

At least it's not a full moon?

Wait for the 5th shot of tequila.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Sooo my work has me traveling, woo!

Working 12hrs a day, 7 days a week, boo!

Getting paid phat staxx, woo!

Doing this for 4 months, boo?

I get a 4 day block off every month, woo?

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I had enchiladas. So at least lunch was fun.

e5ulnogq24ac.jpg

• Options
    What's the over/under on President Donnie posting something offensive today in a repeat of last year's taco bowl?

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular

Yeah, I'm uh, not hanging around after work tonight. It's an amateur night and no thank you.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    mcp wrote: »
    I had enchiladas. So at least lunch was fun.

e5ulnogq24ac.jpg

Those look great!

I made Tamales Tuesday, and we had a shitton of leftover meat and so we're making taquitos today and having that. I'm pretty excited.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Tonkka wrote: »

Yeah, I'm uh, not hanging around after work tonight. It's an amateur night and no thank you.

I have the top amateur. 21st birthday girl black out drunk. So drunk we almost intubated her. She was wearing her pink happy birthday sash.

Kinda wished we intubated her just so she could have a story no one could top.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Tonkka wrote: »

I have the top amateur. 21st birthday girl black out drunk. So drunk we almost intubated her. She was wearing her pink happy birthday sash.

Kinda wished we intubated her just so she could have a story no one could top.

I bet she would have just vomitted a bunch while you inserted it and gotten pneumonia later as a result.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    What's the over/under on President Donnie posting something offensive today in a repeat of last year's taco bowl?
    I don't think he'll do anything.

He's elected, he doesn't have to pretend to care about it anymore.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    (In which I am speaking from partial experience)
    (Except I wasn't drunk and it was an NG-tube that they shoved into my lung)

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So today was pretty great. Lots of basketball and what not.

Until the last period when it was 150 students and 2 substitutes and I had an 8th grader physically threaten me after saying that I had better back up from him (I was 3 feet away from him at the time) and a bunch of kids say I was racially discriminating against them for asking them to move and stop walking around.

So that was fun.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Resume retrofitted, and resubmitted.

Now I wait.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
This discussion has been closed.