As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect Andromeda: Pathfinder, I've detected a thread that you can post in

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I'm not sure that'll be a DLC pack. DLC doesn't seem to make it into series 'cannon' for ME really. I think that event is sequel fodder unless that changes somehow.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    They might knock it out of the park next game. Goddess knows that the Nomad was a x100 better than the last two vehicles they did.

Only after it was upgraded. It still sucked before then. And having to shift gears to go up inclines was a better idea than actual mechanic.

Good thing New Game + keeps the upgrades, though.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I'm not sure that'll be a DLC pack. DLC doesn't seem to make it into series 'cannon' for ME really. I think that event is sequel fodder unless that changes somehow.

Shadow Broker, Arrival, Leviathan.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    good point, klemming

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »

Shadow Broker, Arrival, Leviathan.

Overlord also comes up in Andromeda.

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Tried to join a match in progress with my Turian Soldier, ended up with that glitch where you appear as a Human Soldier and only have an Avenger and Katana and no usable skills. Decided to finish off the match and happily the experience from the match still goes to my Turian Soldier.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I'll be real interested in the DLC for this game

DAI had some real interesting DLC. Hakkon was the most standard, with another open world area and all the standard quests but some neat story stuff. The Descent was a little too combat focused for me but included some unique mechanics and was more of a classical dungeon crawl and Trespasser was the classic Bioware focused storytelling with smaller areas and more of a focus on plot and characters and was easily the best of the three.

I'm fully expecting a Hakkon-esque pack with a new planet but a DLC pack that is
    set entirely on the Quarian Ark
    would be pretty dope

wondering if
    they're hiding from a reaper that's been in hot pursuit for 600 years
    I'm betting they want to leave the Reapers in the original trilogy as much as possible.
    But given that the Geth were already taking some kind of interest in Heleus before the Initiative got their hands on their survey data, and that there's one race that's guaranteed to overreact if they ran into them...

This would also tie into some expansion on the multiplayer side, as you get to add a new enemy type as well as all your quarian engineers and drell assassins.

edit: And elcor vanguards. Yes I know but let me have this.
    I expect to see Reapers because the memories quest ended with them, and even a small Reaper presence allows them to bring the faction back for multiplayer.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    if Shepard was in Mass Effect: Andromeda

warning: gore

PTzJg13.jpg

6g9m7pp.jpg

Xehalus on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I love how everyone has forgotten how bad faces have been over the entire Mass Effect series, and just now suddenly people are surprised.

14wxb9l.jpg

Speaking of the horrific smile of Mark Vanderloo, they should have brought him back to model Dad Shepard Alec Ryder.

k16D8W8.jpg

Look at that bastard. Three times as handsome as he was as a younger model.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I don't feel like "but they've always been bad at X" is really a good defense against someone saying something is bad.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    edit: screw it, nevermind, i don't even want to engage this

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Those comics are deeply, viscerally unpleasant. There's jokes to be made about how bad some of the faces in Andromeda are, but that shit is tasteless.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »
    I don't feel like "but they've always been bad at X" is really a good defense against someone saying something is bad.

Hmm, not sure I agree. Because Bioware improved substantially with faces between the last Mass Effect game and this one. I find it super weird how surprised everyone is that the faces are not the best in the industry, how they're acting like Bioware has never been as bad at X as they were in this game, when that's not remotely true.

The faces in Andromeda were the best I've ever seen from Bioware, they have decidedly improved on that front. They did need to correct the lighting, but once that patch was in I don't understand the complaint. Basically people want them to be CDProjekt and they're not. They're Bioware, and they've improved substantially on a thing they always do badly. I'll add that the hair, another thing Bioware is terrible at, has improved substantially from previous games as well.

I guess to me it's like being mad that a 2017 Honda Accord is not a Tesla. A Honda isn't even trying to be a Tesla, why make the comparison at all?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I know it's a kneejerk reaction on my part, and that the comics are the way they are because those are the two biggest (right?) memes about bad faces in Mass Effect, but it still made me wince that they are essentially just two men shooting two women in the head

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I know it's a kneejerk reaction on my part, and that the comics are the way they are because those are the two biggest (right?) memes about bad faces in Mass Effect, but it still made me wince that they are essentially just two men shooting two women in the head

The Peebee thing was more about her gun being backwards afaik. Her face is fine. Addison, well. Her face IS tired.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    When the Tesla and the Accord cost the exact same amount of money, yes, you can absolutely complain about what you're getting for it. I don't really care that much if Bioware got better or not, a game that came out two years ago takes them behind the woodshed when it comes to facial animation. I also don't really care why one is better than the other, that's not actually my concern as a consumer. They need to get on CDPR's level, period.

If these were some indies or if it was a budget title then sure, I could justify it. But it's a full-price game, and while I have had a lot of goodwill for Bioware over the years (they've made two of my favorite games ever!) they can't be held to a different standard.

EDIT - Also, I would argue that CDPR and Bioware are in the exact same space in terms of games. They're both making heavily story-driven AAA RPGs, and neither has many of the "goof off" elements that some sandboxes get (GTA, Saint's Row).

A duck! on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

Considering the included shot of Miranda's butt I wouldn't call it kneejerk.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    When the Tesla and the Accord cost the exact same amount of money, yes, you can absolutely complain about what you're getting for it. I don't really care that much if Bioware got better or not, a game that came out two years ago takes them behind the woodshed when it comes to facial animation. I also don't really care why one is better than the other, that's not actually my concern as a consumer. They need to get on CDPR's level, period.

If these were some indies or if it was a budget title then sure, I could justify it. But it's a full-price game, and while I have had a lot of goodwill for Bioware over the years (they've made two of my favorite games ever!) they can't be held to a different standard.

EDIT - Also, I would argue that CDPR and Bioware are in the exact same space in terms of games. They're both making heavily story-driven AAA RPGs, and neither has many of the "goof off" elements that some sandboxes get (GTA, Saint's Row).

Sure, everyone has their personal opinions and desires as far as what is important in a game. You're free to not really care why one studio's animation is better than the other. I care because I have to see what would need to be sacrificed to get there. Namely:

- No more customizable player character
    - Half as many squadmates
    - 2/3rds the voiced dialog

Remove those and it's no longer a game I have any interest in playing - which is true for CDProjekt games and me: I've spent roughly 3 hours in the Witcher universe and I simply cannot force myself to do any more. It's not that there's anything egregiously wrong with it, I just have zero interest.

Animation and character attractiveness are at best icing on the cake. If I have to choose between that and what I actually want in a game, then for God's sake make them ugly as sin, just keep shooting that sweet, sweet characterization directly into my veins. Give them all disfiguring scars and uncomfortably hairy moles, I couldn't give less of a shit as long as you give me tons of characters to care about and talk to and interact with and read notes from.

I also have difficulty with the concept of "exactly the same space" when it comes to games, because as I've noted before I've never found any studio that gives what Bioware gives. And God knows I have looked and been recommended games, none of which did much of anything for me.

To me it's like talking about games "in the game space of Alan Wake." There just aren't any. That might be true of all the games that have meant anything to me.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The facial animation should be better, in my opinion

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    The facial animation should be better, in my opinion

yes Tal but you probably also didn't make fucking Jaal a priority, so your opinions are suspect at best.
    <3

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I just can't get worked up about graphics in RPGs. I just can't. I mean, my lousy eyesight means that most of the hyperlinear tripmapping whatevers are lost on me anyway, but I also grew up on this

Ultima4_SS2.jpg

The thing I want most, and can enjoy most, in games graphically is big vistas and I felt like ME:A delivered on that front - a couple of planets were a bit dull but others, like H-036, where exactly what I wanted.

Which isn't to say there's not room for improvement or things that are dumb. The procedural camera during incidental conversations needs serious work - half the time it was focused on my Ryder's shoulder, or a wall, and prevented me seeing the person I was speaking to at all. But I lack the capacity to be scandalized by the occasional crossed eye or whatever.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I would be fine with static character portraits or less too but they have the cameras on the moving faces so those moving faces gotta look good

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I just can't get worked up about graphics in RPGs. I just can't. I mean, my lousy eyesight means that most of the hyperlinear tripmapping whatevers are lost on me anyway, but I also grew up on this

The thing I want most, and can enjoy most, in games graphically is big vistas and I felt like ME:A delivered on that front - a couple of planets were a bit dull but others, like H-036, where exactly what I wanted.

Which isn't to say there's not room for improvement or things that are dumb. The procedural camera during incidental conversations needs serious work - half the time it was focused on my Ryder's shoulder, or a wall, and prevented me seeing the person I was speaking to at all. But I lack the capacity to be scandalized by the occasional crossed eye or whatever.

It's not a graphical fidelity issue, but a scene/art direction one. ME:A is a fantastic looking game, apart from a few visible seams. But it doesn't feel like anyone took a pass at scenes to give people actual character in them or deal with weird, reproducable bugs. One early scene that bothered me was
    Cora literally cannot wipe the smirk off her face during the convo where she's telling me my dad is dead. Maybe she's secretly the Joker, I dunno! It pulled my ass right out of that scene.

A duck! on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

<snip>

I don't care much about graphical style (?) in RPGs either, in that I also play games with really old graphics and enjoy them. (I still regularly roll around in the BG series. I've played HoMMs 1-5 and enjoyed Might and Magic 10. And I love Stardew Valley.) You want to do isometric, 2D, overhead map, side-scroller animated, whatever, fine, but if you're going to make 3D graphics, then they should be good 3D graphics. At least not BAD 3D graphics! If Bioware wants to make Dragon Stardew Valley Effect using that graphical style, then they better be good fucking 2D animations.

If you don't want me to care what Addison's face looks like, don't show me Addison! I don't complain about the fact that, say, in the Witcher, people always happen to be blocking off the visual effect of liquid being poured into a cup,* I assume because CDPR doesn't a have high-quality pouring liquid into a cup graphic. BUT IF THEY SHOWED THAT, it better not look like such trash that it distracts from the rest of the scene. I'm not buying Bioware games FOR their graphics; I just want their graphics to not impede my enjoyment of the rest of the game. In that screenshot Jacobkosh posts, I can't see what the horse's face looks like. That's fine! I can just imagine the horse. I can't unimagine Addison's face though. It was pretty much ALL I was staring at as she corrected my grammar or asked me what happened to my dead father.

* I mean, I say I don't complain about it, but it was actually noticeable enough that I remembered it distracting me from the scene such that I can post about it here, but you know. Even then though, the instance I'm thinking of I only noticed because they did a sudden camera switch. If they handled it more smoothly, I might not have noticed at all.

hippofant on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

Ultima4_SS2.jpg

Often you can move the camera in such cases. I found out after like 3/4ths of the game..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Cora is the Ronnie Filyaw of the Asari. I'm more amused by her, "yes, Sarisa looks kawaii to me, but she doesn't look kawaii to my kokoro!" dialog every time I play.

• Options
    "Sometimes it's hard to go on, you know? People be all hating Asari. But they ain't know Asari like I do! Ever heard of the Matriarch stage, doc? Google it. Google that good thing. Now I wanna talk about the theological implications of the dancers in Chora's Den. You've seen them, right? I don't wanna spoil it for you if you haven't"

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Which is pretty fucking logical, actually.
    How many people would want to be like the hot magic space aliens that live for a thousand years, if they really existed?

I do really like the Cora thing as an idea

Like, we've been told for 3 previous games that the Asari are tremendously cultural influential, that they're kind of the glue that keeps everything together, that they've got this bigass cultured civilization.

But all we've really seen is some bartenders and space hookers, and even their supposedly baddest of the bad asari commandos were mostly just a punchline. Asari were soft power in a space opera universe that only had respect for one's ability to shoot things, and even the Asari who could shoot things real good were often

But Cora still has some big writing problems to really make her sympathetic. She has exactly one line about how she didn't fit in with humans, and a zillion lines about how sugoi the asari are. And then even in that, we never actually learn much about the asari commandos, she comes across as an enthusiast, not someone who's gone local.

(and it's kind of an oddity in general that outside of Cora's lines, nobody gives a shit about biotics. ME1 did a lot better job establishing it as a Big Weird Deal to people, in ME:A it just feels like another kind of tech.)

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Ending
    Archon floating up into the light was an anime-ass cheap fucking cop-out to make the ending battle just waves of existing assets that I blew through like nothing because I went into that mission lvl63 with rank 8 gear and maxed infiltrator. It felt more like an extraction wave than a big finale. The ME2 human reaper fight had more gravity to it.

edit:
    Literal prehensile tentacles sorry power cables that somehow snap into his back and only work if he gets lifted up

Weaver on
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Hmm, not sure I agree. Because Bioware improved substantially with faces between the last Mass Effect game and this one. I find it super weird how surprised everyone is that the faces are not the best in the industry, how they're acting like Bioware has never been as bad at X as they were in this game, when that's not remotely true.

That's not exactly the history, though. ME1 was a revolution in facial animation technology. They marketed the hell out of how advanced its lip sync stuff was and the fact that it was good enough that every conversation in the game could be voiced and animated. So facial animation is not just something that should be one of BW's core competencies, it's a technology that they pioneered. They not only haven't always been bad at it, they were once the absolute best at it.

That being said, I agree with you that ME:A is a big improvement over the OT in terms of faces and facial animations, most of the time. But it took a patch to get it there, and while it's now better than the OT, I don't think it's better than DA:I. I like ME:A and I like it's characters, but I don't think any of them match the expressiveness of Cassandra, Varric, or Dorian.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Which is pretty fucking logical, actually.
    How many people would want to be like the hot magic space aliens that live for a thousand years, if they really existed?

I do really like the Cora thing as an idea

Like, we've been told for 3 previous games that the Asari are tremendously cultural influential, that they're kind of the glue that keeps everything together, that they've got this bigass cultured civilization.

But all we've really seen is some bartenders and space hookers, and even their supposedly baddest of the bad asari commandos were mostly just a punchline. Asari were soft power in a space opera universe that only had respect for one's ability to shoot things, and even the Asari who could shoot things real good were often

But Cora still has some big writing problems to really make her sympathetic. She has exactly one line about how she didn't fit in with humans, and a zillion lines about how sugoi the asari are. And then even in that, we never actually learn much about the asari commandos, she comes across as an enthusiast, not someone who's gone local.

(and it's kind of an oddity in general that outside of Cora's lines, nobody gives a shit about biotics. ME1 did a lot better job establishing it as a Big Weird Deal to people, in ME:A it just feels like another kind of tech.)

Yeah, BioWare didn't really think Biotics through :
    Sure, Cora, just stand there staring as I get injected and die. Don't, I dunno, pull them apart limb from limb with your mind powers or anything.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    They also dropped the ball when it came to Ryder. Like, there's no real dialog option if Ryder's starter class is the same as Cora's, or one of the other two flavors of Biotic.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I think it's presumed that ryder is biotic no matter what

in the same sense that they would know engineering and master gun shootin'

it's the only explanation I can think of that makes sense

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Given Mamma Ryder's line of work, the twins being Biotic due to prenatal exposure makes a lot of sense, especially as
    she got a big enough dose of Eezo exposure to give her health complications

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    The only time I noticed where the game recognized that you were biotic or not, is in the first mission
    When there's that lightning strike, if you're biotic like I was when I played vanguard, you're the one who creates the biotic shield absorbing the lightning and liam is like "wow I didn't know you were biotic" (ignoring the like two dozen biotic charges I had done before that, but if you're not biotic like during my infiltrator play-through, it's cora who creates the bubble and liam has the "wow I didn't know you were biotic" convo with cora instead while ryder looks on in silence.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    The only time I noticed where the game recognized that you were biotic or not, is in the first mission
    When there's that lightning strike, if you're biotic like I was when I played vanguard, you're the one who creates the biotic shield absorbing the lightning and liam is like "wow I didn't know you were biotic" (ignoring the like two dozen biotic charges I had done before that, but if you're not biotic like during my infiltrator play-through, it's cora who creates the bubble and liam has the "wow I didn't know you were biotic" convo with cora instead while ryder looks on in silence.
    i started as infiltrator and had a single point in lance ( that i put in when leveled up just before that cutscene) and i was the one that put up the shield.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

That's not exactly the history, though. ME1 was a revolution in facial animation technology. They marketed the hell out of how advanced its lip sync stuff was and the fact that it was good enough that every conversation in the game could be voiced and animated. So facial animation is not just something that should be one of BW's core competencies, it's a technology that they pioneered. They not only haven't always been bad at it, they were once the absolute best at it.

That being said, I agree with you that ME:A is a big improvement over the OT in terms of faces and facial animations, most of the time. But it took a patch to get it there, and while it's now better than the OT, I don't think it's better than DA:I. I like ME:A and I like it's characters, but I don't think any of them match the expressiveness of Cassandra, Varric, or Dorian.

Yeah I'm really confused by this supposedly low bar for BW on faces. I thought DA:I was great for its time but Addison looks like a child did her makeup for her. I don't think it has to be cutting edge if the game is great but it should at least be on par with the rest of the industry and I don't think it is.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    i started as infiltrator and had a single point in lance ( that i put in when leveled up just before that cutscene) and i was the one that put up the shield.
    Interesting! So it does seem like the game treats you as not-a-biotic until you choose to put a point in there though.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

I started as vanguard and didn't get this scene!

This discussion has been closed.