As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Southpaw Regional [chat] is the coolest ever

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I should quit playing video games

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    desc wrote: »
    Six wrote: »
    @elki on the eve of Mass Effect's takeover I jumped on GR WILDLANDS last night and tried a bunch of guns I hadn't used yet like the little bitty Russian S3RM rifle that's smg compact sized and the 556xi (which I liked much more than expected).

I flew a drug plane over to Libertidad region which is 5 skull difficulty but had no issues parachuting in, landing on a rooftop, and pilfering the AK-47 from a chest. Built it out a little with a red dot scope and so on -- not a bad platform at all although I might like the 556xi more.

I am going to go scrounge up more parts like an extended magazine and one of the front rail mounted night vision lasers. Maybe go steal the Mk. 17 rifle and the M4a1 tac and compare them built out to the 556xi ... hmm.

I still like the P90 best as a close range option so a longer range / long barreled rifle seems logical.

Having said that, the AK 47 was plenty flexible at all ranges to approach and then sweep through a base quietly.

Also you were right about that pistol. That thing is the way and the light.

Are you playing this solo or with others? This game looks super cool but I'm holding off since unless there are people who want to bro down right now, it seems like a wait for a sale game.

I am playing both alone and with others in xbone.

I skipped most of the far cry, just cause, assassins creed etc franchises but this one appeals to me so it depends on what you are looking for.

I like pointlessly fiddling with my character's cosmetic clothes and the guns really are kind of like a car game -- there are more than you will ever need so it's just about finding ones you like, seeing how they handle in a bite sized mission, modifying, and repeating.

I think the gun handling a real pleasure in this game -- it's not terribly exaggerated or goofy but one well-placed shot will kill someone. The sense of lobbing projectiles and needing to account for distance is really present in the open world environment.

Vehicles are merely okay but dirt biking at top speed with other human players is a blast.

You don't have to do every single side quest or mission or anything, just killing each lieutenant per region.

this game totally flew under my radar but it does sound kind of amazing?

like open world rainbow six you can play with bros?

will probably get in on ps4 when it goes on sale.

I've had a few 4-persons runs of it, on 'extreme difficulty' where you go down to a couple of shots and enemies don't show up on radar at all if you haven't scouted them out, they have sharp perception, and alerting them means a ton of more enemies show up and multiple helicopter gunships, etc. And infiltrating the big bases with that setup is a certain kind of fun that sickos like me are into.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    My one regret is that this mead will be ready in like six months if I want to drink it super early

Also that the yeast is apparently super alcohol tolerant so I'm basically going to end up with mixed honeyed rum and raspberry jui-actually wait nvm this sounds great
    That sounds amazing. Also you can buy Meade today to tide you over, drinking meade while you are waiting for your meade to finish.

Pfth wait? Impossible.

I am annoyed at the delay. If this turns out well, I'll probably want to make a mead a month or something so I have a consistent flow roughly at the max rate of consumption for me (Querry and I don't drink that much, I doubt we'd even often drink two bottles a month). But I won't know if it's turned out well until like september-december or even later, and then there's another 9 month lag time to the next batch, and I'd need to buy more equipment so I can have six things going at once (or however many I'd need to cycle one a month).
    ...And that's where the brewing costs jump from 80 bucks to 800 bucks.

I believe I predicted this.

It'd be thirty more dollars for three carboys, caps, and airlocks :P
    Then you are losing money not brewing more meade.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    elki on the eve of Mass Effect's takeover I jumped on GR WILDLANDS last night and tried a bunch of guns I hadn't used yet like the little bitty Russian S3RM rifle that's smg compact sized and the 556xi (which I liked much more than expected).

I flew a drug plane over to Libertidad region which is 5 skull difficulty but had no issues parachuting in, landing on a rooftop, and pilfering the AK-47 from a chest. Built it out a little with a red dot scope and so on -- not a bad platform at all although I might like the 556xi more.

I am going to go scrounge up more parts like an extended magazine and one of the front rail mounted night vision lasers. Maybe go steal the Mk. 17 rifle and the M4a1 tac and compare them built out to the 556xi ... hmm.

I still like the P90 best as a close range option so a longer range / long barreled rifle seems logical.

Having said that, the AK 47 was plenty flexible at all ranges to approach and then sweep through a base quietly.

Are you playing this solo or with others? This game looks super cool but I'm holding off since unless there are people who want to bro down right now, it seems like a wait for a sale game.

I skipped most of the far cry, just cause, assassins creed etc franchises but this one appeals to me so it depends on what you are looking for.

I like pointlessly fiddling with my character's cosmetic clothes and the guns really are kind of like a car game -- there are more than you will ever need so it's just about finding ones you like, seeing how they handle in a bite sized mission, modifying, and repeating.

I think the gun handling a real pleasure in this game -- it's not terribly exaggerated or goofy but one well-placed shot will kill someone. The sense of lobbing projectiles and needing to account for distance is really present in the open world environment.

Vehicles are merely okay but dirt biking at top speed with other human players is a blast.

You don't have to do every single side quest or mission or anything, just killing each lieutenant per region.

Yes. Like I said it depends on what you like in games, but I like taking over maps one bite at a time and parachuting in behind enemy lines at night with thermal vision etc.

having people staying back and sniping while someone else creeps into a base to plant the explosives and someone else is flying their drone overhead to pick out enemies so they'll appear on your HUD is all solid.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Layla continues to be a majestic and graceful creature

733XGnK.jpg

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Don't stop there. Convert all video games into ashes and use them to pave the streets.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    since when is a 46% movie good or a 59% great? movie review scores operate on a similar curve to video games, maybe just with ~10% more slack.

izbrJ9o.png

spaceballs is one of the worst Brooks movies though.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The YouTube vid I just watched was preceded by an advert for Yu-Gi-Oh featuring attractive people playing the card game outdoors in the sunlight. The disconnect from reality was physically jarring.

I remember seeing a similar ad for crunchyroll.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    >:(

<3

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

733XGnK.jpg

majestic af

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    elki on the eve of Mass Effect's takeover I jumped on GR WILDLANDS last night and tried a bunch of guns I hadn't used yet like the little bitty Russian S3RM rifle that's smg compact sized and the 556xi (which I liked much more than expected).

Yes. Like I said it depends on what you like in games, but I like taking over maps one bite at a time and parachuting in behind enemy lines at night with thermal vision etc.

having people staying back and sniping while someone else creeps into a base to plant the explosives and someone else is flying their drone overhead to pick out enemies so they'll appear on your HUD is all solid.

This is very very much what I want. Almost exactly.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    My previous conversation made me look up Dead Space's overarching plot.

They did finally explain where all the bad things came from, it seems, which is nice, and the answer was a little derivative but also suitably horrifying.
    also ties into the title pleasingly, and proposed a novel and upsetting answer to the Fermi paradox

I only ever played the first one which was pretty good. The setting was really interesting, but I never got around to playing the others. Probably because the first ten minutes of 2 gave me nightmares.

Is it basically
    everything far out in space is a deadite now?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    At one point I owned In Search of Wonder. Which was a collection of essays by Damon Knight. He was one of the very first people to do literary criticism of science fiction. He also wrote a bit of it as well, his best known work being the screen play for "To Serve Man". But he talks about Harlan Ellison making a lot of the same arguments that gamers make about why their thing should be immune to critical viewings. It just reinforces my belief that Harlan Ellison is a twat.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    videogame review scores: often graded in a way that gives nuance, 0-100 makes some kind of sense and under 70% usually means there are a lot of flaws.

movie review scores: occasionally done in a star format (1-5), but often just given as good (100) or bad (0).

If the score is greater than 50% assume more than half the viewing critics liked it, which means the odds are in your favor.

That scoring is what Rotten Tomatoes uses, not metacritic.

I think there's a whole suite of different issues with the rotten tomatoes system. It tends to favor safe, bland, boring as shit movies that barely eke out positive reviews from most of the shrugging critics over more divisive but fascinating films.

Like the latest uninspired marvel movie where 95% of reviewers left in a daze and wrote, "eh, it was alright. It was marvel. 2 and a half stars." A movie nobody particularly loved. That movie will outscore on rotten tomatoes something creative and amazing that's getting emphatic fours star reviews from 85% of critics but maybe 15% were left a little cold by it and gave it unfavorable reviews.

This is a totally irrelevant point but I once realized that metacritic score : RT score :: Fire Emblem displayed to-hit : Fire Emblem actual to-hit

This insight, as you could imagine, earned me my fortune

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

733XGnK.jpg

takes after her cat dad

• Options
    Julius wrote: »
    since when is a 46% movie good or a 59% great? movie review scores operate on a similar curve to video games, maybe just with ~10% more slack.

izbrJ9o.png

But still better than most movies.

Spaceballs is so good.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The YouTube vid I just watched was preceded by an advert for Yu-Gi-Oh featuring attractive people playing the card game outdoors in the sunlight. The disconnect from reality was physically jarring.

I don't know what that is, and refuse to google it on the grounds that I already resent knowing what Yu-Gi-Oh is, and don't need something related to it even tangentially taking up precious memory space.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »

izbrJ9o.png

1) That's blasphemy.
    2) The worst Brooks movie is Men in Tights because it's literally recycled Brooks film jokes.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

I don't know what that is, and refuse to google it on the grounds that I already resent knowing what Yu-Gi-Oh is, and don't need something related to it even tangentially taking up precious memory space.

Anime Streaming Service

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Shivahn, I'm not sure what your process is, but my meads take about 2 months to ferment.

Basically everything online says that you really should let them sit an extra three months or so after racking, and then another three or so in the bottle. I could probably drink it sooner, but it sounds like that'd improve the flavor dramatically?

I don't rack. I use yeast nutrient to minimize yeast stress, which means I don't need to age as long. I do age when I can, and it does make it better, but it's not necessary.

That's a thing? I didn't know that! This mead has raspberries and yeast energizer, so it should be ok on that front. Hrm.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Jessica Nigri did some NSFW Tracer Cosplay and my god

giphy.gif

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    At one point I owned In Search of Wonder. Which was a collection of essays by Damon Knight. He was one of the very first people to do literary criticism of science fiction. He also wrote a bit of it as well, his best known work being the screen play for "To Serve Man". But he talks about Harlan Ellison making a lot of the same arguments that gamers make about why their thing should be immune to critical viewings. It just reinforces my belief that Harlan Ellison is a twat.

Isn't the thing that really upsets Ellison is mentioning how short he is? Like he's of average height, but pointing out he's short just drives him nuts.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Anime site.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

there's a movie based on one of Jack Chick's tracts about how roleplayers are the coolest kids in school and they're basically hot 30 year olds who are in highschool and D&D gives you actual magical powers from satan and you hold parties with attractive people wearing leather

it's unintentionally a comedy
    To be fair, to the target audience of those Chick tracts, pretty much everyone else is more popular or cool than the reader.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    That and I tend to think he needs a smack upside the head for his defense of Ed Kramer. But sadly more than a few authors need that smack.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    @desc you make me want to pick up that game

I had a lot of fun playing The Division with you and Castle on xbone

I get that modern military shooter itch every so often and that extreme difficulty sounds right up my alley

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    hahaha, the first question Nunes asked Comey about Trump's ties to Russia is "will you also be investigating Clinton's ties to Russia?"

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    And of course upon saying I don't want to know what something is I am instantly told, several times, what it is.

You people are the worst.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Isn't the thing that really upsets Ellison is mentioning how short he is? Like he's of average height, but pointing out he's short just drives him nuts.

Yes but that's just at the top of the list including everything.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

Stop playing competitive video games with other people

Life's a lot better

Also work out more and shit!!

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Because everyone's streaming anime in the club,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVtvg_iErL0

• Options
    And of course upon saying I don't want to know what something is I am instantly told, several times, what it is.

You people are the worst.

Explosive Ordinance Disposal.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

They did finally explain where all the bad things came from, it seems, which is nice, and the answer was a little derivative but also suitably horrifying.
    also ties into the title pleasingly, and proposed a novel and upsetting answer to the Fermi paradox

I only ever played the first one which was pretty good. The setting was really interesting, but I never got around to playing the others. Probably because the first ten minutes of 2 gave me nightmares.

Is it basically

Sort of.
    When a planet is infected with the necromorphs by a marker, they usually are totally consumed. This results in all the biomass coagulating and becoming a giant single entity, a sort of hungry flesh moon with tentacles, that is the true necromorph form. The Brother Moon then absorbs the marker and it becomes active, using the marker to signal its Brethren Moons who are all over the galaxy, and they then harvest all the worlds of the species.

Then, they fire off a bunch of markers, basically their evil space jizz, which land on planets and drive people insane and make them into necromorphs, and go back to sleep. Species who get big enough to feed the Moons need energy, and the Markers seem to offer a perfect source, so species reproduce them and seal their own fate.

It seems that the entire galaxy between their origin point and Earth has been consumed by this cycle, so that's why we never see any alien civilizations or light or radio. Doesn't quite work, as the light and waves from before consumption would still be visible, but it almost works.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Crunchyroll is a streaming service for anime

There that's a thing you know now

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Anyway, as for videogame v movie reviews:

I don't care about the difference in scale.

You can generally understand both scales pretty well, and since game critics aren't generally also acting as movie critics it doesn't matter that the scales are incongruent.

Further, gaming also tends to put out far more ireedeemable crap than movies, justifying the inflation of acceptable games. If movie theaters frequently showed movies that sometimes lost audio or contained five minute shots of the camera operator's feet, it'd be more justified to consider "it is coherently a movie" as worthy of an above 60% score. Plus, the quantization of high scores allows room to distinguish a 10/10 from a 9.5/10 in a way that you can't with 3 versus 4 stars.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    so5fu9hnaikm.jpg

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    so5fu9hnaikm.jpg

Honestly low review scores whatever don't give a shit, playing new ME is a reward that I'll savor in my 4 days off.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    It's a shame Dead Space 4 might not be made or might suck? I imagine
    the only way to stop the Moons would involve figuring out their markers and how they're providing infinite energy, which seems to be how they survive aside from harvesting species.

It's pretty much horror Mass Effect.

• Options
    I love the subtle joke of their expressions in the first couple panels and Tycho's head spinning around.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Is it basically

Sort of.
    When a planet is infected with the necromorphs by a marker, they usually are totally consumed. This results in all the biomass coagulating and becoming a giant single entity, a sort of hungry flesh moon with tentacles, that is the true necromorph form. The Brother Moon then absorbs the marker and it becomes active, using the marker to signal its Brethren Moons who are all over the galaxy, and they then harvest all the worlds of the species.

Then, they fire off a bunch of markers, basically their evil space jizz, which land on planets and drive people insane and make them into necromorphs, and go back to sleep. Species who get big enough to feed the Moons need energy, and the Markers seem to offer a perfect source, so species reproduce them and seal their own fate.

It seems that the entire galaxy between their origin point and Earth has been consumed by this cycle, so that's why we never see any alien civilizations or light or radio. Doesn't quite work, as the light and waves from before consumption would still be visible, but it almost works.

Ah, neat.
    I remember fighting some sort of planet thing at the end of the first one. That's a cool/horrifying idea.

This discussion has been closed.