As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic: It's Gathering!

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I think it may even see play in legacy

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    5th counterspell masterpiece - Daze

(i don't even want to post images, ugh)

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Radius wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the gods aren't tournament-legal.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    shergakshergak Registered User regular
    I can see the invocations being a lot better if you removed the columns around the art.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    fucking hell wizards

I will be actively disappointed if I open one of those to be honest

and I actually need copies of ALL of those cards

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Seeing that first Masterpiece I legit thought someone had posted either a newer Yugioh Card or it was a bad photoshop

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    I cannot get over how bad they look

like, holy shit, someone approved that

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    You may always send the Invocations that you find ugly to me :wink:
    Especially the Dark Ritual, Counterspell, Force of Will, Wrath of God and Chain Lightning ones :razz:

I'm pretty sure I'll never draw one of these cards :sad:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    I'd be happy with another Aven Mindcensor, really

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Also do we really need 3 counter spells+ counter balance +a blue creature out of 9 cards.

Honestly this is my biggest problem with the Invocations: the color balance is straight-up fucked. Ignoring the new cards we haven't seen yet, there are:

4 white
    7 blue (SIX goddamned counters if you include CB)
    2 black
    1 red
    0 green
    2 multi (b/w and b/g)

Granted the last two Masterpiece sets were inherently colorless (ignoring Gearhulks) but the color identities were still more or less even. This is just a mess that doesn't even make sense since Bolas is traditionally Grixis and yet there are more white cards than black and red combined (counting the multis as half each).

The borders themselves I'm fine with. Make them part of the world, try some interesting new things (I like the card names being centered, kinda). All of the ideas don't quite land (the color identifier on Pact is especially bad) but that isn't a crime.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I brought up the lack of green card in Caleb Durward's chat and someone said, "Haha there are no good, iconic green cards other than Tarmogoyf."

Chat had a solid 15 listed about 10 seconds later. Sometimes Twitch Chat is good.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I brought up the lack of green card in Caleb Durward's chat and someone said, "Haha there are no good, iconic green cards other than Tarmogoyf."

Chat had a solid 15 listed about 10 seconds later. Sometimes Twitch Chat is good.

Right? When I thought they were just sorceries there was still Tooth & Nail, Rampant Growth (or any ramp spell really), and maybe even Primal Command. Knowing that ANYTHING is fair game (save Reserved list and subject to world restrictions like "no elves") would have at least added Birds of Paradise.

• Options
    Sylvan Library, Regrowth, GSZ, Chord of Calling, Wood Elemental, Channel, Noblie Hierarch, Terastodon, Acidic Slime, Scavenging Ooze and Tarmogoyf are all good options, as well.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'd like Jackal Pup in Amonkhet. Either the original art, or something new but cute like the original art.

I just wanna play Standard mono red burn again, and cute Jackal Pups would help facilitate that.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular

Nope, they're totally legal these days and pretty underpowered, really.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Sylvan Library, Regrowth, GSZ, Chord of Calling, Wood Elemental, Channel, Noblie Hierarch, Terastodon, Acidic Slime, Scavenging Ooze and Tarmogoyf are all good options, as well.

Thought Library and Channel were on the RL or I would have mentioned them too.

Wood Elemental, of all things, is.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Looking at the video of Cryptic Command, are these Masterpiece cards physically thinner on the bottom border?

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    latest?cb=20161007082834

Jesus christ this rules box is incomprehensible

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Sylvan Library was in 5th Edition and is exempt. Channel was never a rare, and is also, therefore, exempt.

• Options
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Jesus christ this rules box is incomprehensible

At least it's still readable. IIRC one of the first YGO cards I ever saw was this monstrosity:

relinquished.jpg

2-point black font on a dark blue background is hard on the eyes, to say the least.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Wood Elemental would at least be fitting for this new border

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I'm looking at the list of invocations and just real upset. They look awful and they're so difficult to read.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    For a game that typically has such great art direction, I'm baffled as to how those got approved.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    For a game that typically has such great art direction, I'm baffled as to how those got approved.

I'm guessing either drugs or a bet.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

Natural order is right at home in this set.

• Options
    It's been noticed that there is room for the 5 gods in the invocations, which, duh.

If they're monocolored, that would bring the total up to 11 blue cards out of the first 30.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Speaking of yu-gi-oh, look at this shit

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Rarity

• Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    It's been noticed that there is room for the 5 gods in the invocations, which, duh.

If they're monocolored, that would bring the total up to 11 blue cards out of the first 30.

The number crunch confirms that they are mono color.

Also the arts for Maelstrom Pulse and Vindicate have the Croc god teaming up with the Snake god and the Cat god, respectively.

• Options

And 1 green card. 3 red. Just... bizarre.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »

According to the yu gi oh wiki all god cards are and have always been banned.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Rainfall wrote: »

According to the yu gi oh wiki all god cards are and have always been banned.

The OG God Cards that were handed out at the Yu-Gi-Oh movie are banned but there's tournament-legal versions of them. I had an Obelisk the Tormentor deck at one point(It wasn't good but it was satisfying)

Rainfall on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    oh my god you can soul separator at instant speed to noxious a felidar

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    anyway I have an idea about adding fling into an electrostatic pummeller list and it sounds real cool

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular

Wood Elemental would at least be fitting for this new border

Hey now, enough dumping on Wood Elemental.

He is a star in my Titania deck that has been Tooth and Nail'd out multiple time!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    new batch of Invocations

Containment Priest, Divert, Spell Pierce, Stifle, Attrition, Diabolic Intent, Entomb, Aggravated Assault, Austere Command

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    There was a post on reddit showcasing how the Invocations would look without the columns (i.e. the attempt at trompe l'oeil) and I do think they would look much better that way. But the illegible text and stacked P/T would still be an issue.

It's really a damn shame, because a lot of that art is rad as fuck.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    new batch of Invocations

Containment Priest, Divert, Spell Pierce, Stifle, Attrition, Diabolic Intent, Entomb, Aggravated Assault, Austere Command

Such green, very forest, wow.

Er, the opposite, I suppose.

• Options
    needed those 2.5 more counterspells

• Options
    Oh hey a new Magic Story went up today.

Amonkhet is a shitty, shitty place to be.

This discussion has been closed.