As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad Food Thread] "I'd stick with soylent. Never know what chimera that meat came from..."

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    needs tomato sauce
    Also glad we're off the car talk. Makes it confusing when I'm also in the car thread :P

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Filet de poison is correct.

Maximum on
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Nobody insults the filet o fish on my watch

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

Something about this offends me on a deep visceral level

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    I just committed a food crime. Chunks of salmon sashimi were like 60% off special at the local Japanese supermarket. So I bought one, (300grams worth) saw it needed to be used by 2 days time, chopped it up, covered it in soy sauce and ate it in front of Law and Order SVU reruns.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    DUN DUN

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    am I missing something or is McChicken sauce just mayonnaise

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Challenge accepted.
    cabsy wrote: »

Mayonnaise plus like a whole bunch of salt and sugar.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

In Australia it's literally just Masterfoods mayonnaise. It says so right on the cardboard tube.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Also turns out that when my family makes mayonnaise, we do add the mustard after whisking the yolks and oil together.

Maybe i'll suggest it the other way next time we make it

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Challenge accepted.

Mayonnaise plus like a whole bunch of salt and sugar.

I actually like there fish sandwich as long as they actually never touch it with the god-awful creation called tarter sauce on it. two packets of ketchup is all it needs.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I mean, tartar sauce is basically the reason to eat the filet-o-fish.

That is certainly where all the flavor comes from.

Plus tartar sauce is like

really

super

good.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Bad Food Thread, my pizza stone has cracked into three pieces. I assume the last pizza I made just had too much flavor for it to handle. Such is my curse.

I've heard some talk of baking steels in this thread. Anyone have experience with those? Would you recommend a steel over a stone, or vice versa? Is there a difference between a good steel and a bad one?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Stone is going to have more mass, thus store more heat, which means it will take longer to heat up and to cool down, but it will also give the pizza that huge thermal investment.
    The pizza steels (the ones with the little holes in them, yeah?) have worked pretty well in my experience* too though.

*It should be noted that my experience is extremely limited.

chromdom on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    You mean a pizza baking tray like this

perfbk.jpg

They're pretty good but not sure if they're good for fresh dough pizza?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Straightzi wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    In the other thread we were talking about butchering and I'm of the firm belief that you should have a go at making your food from scratch. Grow a little vegetable patch, and if you eat meat then butcher a bird, gut and clean a large fish, dress a game animal, whatever. Really understand the basis of where food comes from. I'm a firm believer in if you own a car you should know how to change the oil, tires, check fluids, have a basic understanding of how the car functions, same with a house, etc etc.

Not saying that anybody has to do it this way, but having a bit of hands on experience can be a pretty big deal, even if you don't apply those skills/knowledge every time.

If nothing else it makes it harder to get scammed.

How far do you take this?

Like, do you think a baker should grind their own flour? Should a bartender be distilling their own alcohol? Do you need to know how to make cheese and butter in order to make yourself a grilled cheese sandwich?

I think it’s worth knowing where it comes from. I’m not saying you have to make everything from scratch every single time. Also I think animal products are a special because we as a society tend to rationalize meats and other animal products as commodities. "Oh it’s a thing I buy that is cellophane packed on the shelf" when in reality an animal has died to feed us. For most people in first world countries meat is a luxury straight up, and I believe there is a certain respect that needs to be paid to the animals that provide it. So butchering something, or at least going to a butcher shop and seeing how they get your preferred cut of meat I think is an important thing to experience.

As far as how far should we go? Well you go for what’s feasible for you. Should a baker grind their own flour? Probably not, but I bet it would be interesting to do once. I would recommend people try to make their own bread from raw ingredients once or twice if they like bread. If you have the means and a free weekend, sure grind up your own flour and other stuff. Are you going to be able to milk your own cow to make butter? Probably not, but you can buy local milk and give it a shot if you feel so inclined.

If you like Pasta then try to make the pasta from scratch once, same with the sauce, and depending on your situation you might even be able to grow all the vegetables and spices for the sauce. If nothing else these experiments can enlighten someone about their food and where it comes from and the people who make it. I think a lot of people would have a whole new respect for field workers if they went to a “self pick” farm and picked beans for an hour or two. That shit is grueling and hard on the body day in and day out.

Same thing if you own a car. Even changing a tire can be an enlightening experience. Everybody I know who gets a car for the first time I recommend they practice changing their spare tire at least once or twice so they are prepared for when/if they get a flat, and figure out how to check the fluids they have access to just in case. A car is probably the 2nd largest purchase most people make behind a house. Knowing the basics of how the thing works will safe a ton of money and heartache, if nothing else like I said before, knowing when people are trying to scam you when repairs are needed. People joke about blinker fluid and muffler bearings, but these are real scams perpetrated against people without understanding of the thing they own.

I’m not asking people to become butchers or farmers or stone masons or anything, or make everything from raw materials each and every time but I feel that people should explore where their stuff comes from with a bit of depth, especially if they have the means to do so. I try to do this the best I can. I have a house now so learning how to do basic repairs and maintenance is a big learning experience.

I think having a better informed consumer culture would act as a bulwark against an uncaring corporate machine who will try to sell us anything, and try to obfuscate as much as possible about what it's made from and where it came from.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Huh, I found one of those when I replaced my stove. Figure the previous owner lost it under there and never bothered digging it out.
    Good to know what it's for though.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I believe Jedoc's referring to a Baking Steel

baking-steel-superior-alternative-pizza-stone1-798x798_grande.jpg?

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options

really

super

good.

*barf*. so you define flavor as expired mayonaise mixed with chopped overly seasoned dill pickles?

• Options
    Karl wrote: »
    You mean a pizza baking tray like this

perfbk.jpg

They're pretty good but not sure if they're good for fresh dough pizza?

that works for fresh dough, you just end up with a bubble bottom pizza. A stone works better however, it more evenly bakes the crust.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »

really

super

good.

*barf*. so you define flavor as expired mayonaise mixed with chopped overly seasoned dill pickles?

Hey. There's a pound of sugar in there too.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

Baking steel picture

That seems much better.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

baking-steel-superior-alternative-pizza-stone1-798x798_grande.jpg?

Huh! I have never seen that before. Kinda cool. Er, hot. Thermo-regulated, whatever it is.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think steel versus stone depends on exactly what you want from your pizza. Steel is gonna get you closer to that New York style, the mottled almost-burnt color on the underside of a crisp crust, whereas the stone will get you a much more consistent cook and probably less crisp. I think I've heard that steels can get you a better hole structure because of this as well, although honestly that's really getting away from the level that I understand pizza.

So I'd recommend steel, having no actual experience with it and just having read about it in the past, but there might be someone who knows better too.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I've read good things about baking steels on several cooking blogs (mainly dealing with pizza). I think unglazed ceramic is going to give you a more "authentic" hearth baked experience (as authentic as a modern radiant/convection oven can provide) but the steel provides faster preheat and cook times and is way more durable and easier to clean. Only concern I may have is the steel maybe providing too much heat transfer to the bottom of the crust and over baking the bottom while the top still needs time.

If you get one let us know how it works!

m!ttens on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I like tartar sauce and I don't even like fish.

• Options
    edited March 2017

really

super

good.

I'm pretty sure I implied the filet-o-fish was dogshit.

Tartar sauce, however

I mean, you can just fucking make it with good mayo and pickles.

sarukun on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

really

super

good.

I'm pretty sure I implied the filet-o-fish was dogshit.

Tartar sauce, however

I mean, you can just fucking make it with good mayo and pickles.

If I ever order fish and chips anywhere, it's always with extra tarter, because you know what? It's awesome with fries, too.

• Options
    Real tartar sauce is amazing.

I will not go to bat for the McDonald's version of it.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I've never been able to get a pizza onto a stone without making a mess and basically destroying it

what's the secret other than using a frozen pizza?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Flour up that dough.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I've never been able to get a pizza onto a stone without making a mess and basically destroying it

flour the surface your using to spread out the dough heavily, and use a pizza paddle to transfer it. Just watch someone make one in a pizza resturaunt.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

flour the surface your using to spread out the dough heavily, and use a pizza paddle to transfer it. Just watch someone make one in a pizza resturaunt.

yeah but like.. I have really shitty apartment countertops so I can't really make food on it, what kind of food prep surface should I use other than a pizza pan?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Flour on the pizza peel is what I do. I suppose you could use oil on a metal peel?

You sound be able to move the peel side to side and the uncooked pizza should float around the surface of the peel.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

yeah but like.. I have really shitty apartment countertops so I can't really make food on it, what kind of food prep surface should I use other than a pizza pan?

Buy a large wooden cutting board and use that to roll out the dough. Once it's rolled out transfer to a floured stone and then start adding sauce + toppings.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    A large enough cutting board should be fine.

I'd recommend wood for that, but there's a lot of potential issues with wood cutting boards too, so if you don't want to deal with any of that hassle, go for a plastic one.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

Oh get a pizza pan with no lip or at least a minimal one. Then just use the pan as a peel.

This discussion has been closed.