Options

[PC Build Thread] AMD Radeon Chief Architect Raja Koduri Moves to Intel =O

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    In a fugue of alcohol and cold meds on Saturday I ended up finding the 1080ti in stock at NCIX and I bought one...

I'm an adult.

Nyquil makes a man do strange things.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I haven't looked into this in a while, but doesn't Windows Explorer also have an integrated "install this ISO" feature?

Windows 8.1 and up (I think, might just be 10) has a built in tool for mounting ISO's. Nothing fancy.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    In a fugue of alcohol and cold meds on Saturday I ended up finding the 1080ti in stock at NCIX and I bought one...

I'm an adult.

Nyquil makes a man do strange things.

Wait, cold meds would give me $1000 to spend on a video card? Where do I sign up?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Well technically if you're into cooking meth...

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Cheap mobo backplates are the fucking devil, I swear to god

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Sure you have the correct one? :P

• Options
    I do, but I'm awful at getting them to line up and it took like 30 minutes and a lot of broken prongs.

And yet, still a better job than my last system, where I gave up and had it crooked.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What happened with the USB?

• Options
    jack shit, I'm just using Rufus

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Hmm, Intel officially revealed their first consumer-grade Optane stuff today. It's a little less than impressive, it basically acts as a fast, non-volatile cache that stores regularly accessed data to speed up boot/program launch times. Intel stressed that the biggest gains would come from pairing it with a traditional HDD but that there are also small gains from using it with an SSD as well. They didn't provide any benchmarking for that situation, though.

The downside is that it uses up an M.2 slot, only works on certain motherboards that are Optane enabled, and requires Kaby Lake CPUs. Cost is 16GB for $44, 32GB for $77.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So it's basically a way to add your own L2 cache to a motherboard? Or is it more like a "reverse" RAM drive?

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    So it's basically a way to add your own L2 cache to a motherboard? Or is it more like a "reverse" RAM drive?

More like a build-your-own hybrid drive kind of thing, kind of like a roided up version of their SSD caching feature that they introduced in their storage drivers several years back. It's less compelling if you're already on an all-SSD system, but it might be useful if you have a bunch of platter disks still around and is also not expensive, so there's that.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So I decided how to resolve my "7700K upgrade or 1080Ti" dilemma. I'm going to wait until later in the year and do both when I can swing the cost.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    So I decided how to resolve my "7700K upgrade or 1080Ti" dilemma. I'm going to wait until later in the year and do both when I can swing the cost.

What are you doing that requires both? I just upgraded from a 4690k to a 7700k and it's changed absolutely nothing about my gaming. 4k? Trying to prepare for star citizen?

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »

What are you doing that requires both? I just upgraded from a 4690k to a 7700k and it's changed absolutely nothing about my gaming. 4k? Trying to prepare for star citizen?

He wants to upgrade his ram from ddr3 to ddr4, which requires a processor upgrade.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    1080 Ti SC preordered. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Now might also be a decent time to upgrade from 8 GB to 16 and do a wipe/reinstall of my SSD, since I haven't done that in 4 years.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

He wants to upgrade his ram from ddr3 to ddr4, which requires a processor upgrade.

Is that that big a performance upgrade? You can get DDR3 clocked well into the 2000s now, and all the RAM speed comparisons I've seen have concluded that over ~1800 or so differences in DIMM clock have really minimal impacts.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I've been remoted into my home PC all day today and about 4 different times, it has rebooted without warning.

Any ideas what could be causing this? It's not really under load or anything. These are my temps:

f22vP4A.png

I was a little weirded out by the thing on the MB that's reading 52C. Those are pretty much idle temps as the only things I'm really running are steam chat and teamviewer (though admittedly, those steam chats can get pretty hot :winky:)

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options

Ahem.

"Because reasons"

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Is that that big a performance upgrade? You can get DDR3 clocked well into the 2000s now, and all the RAM speed comparisons I've seen have concluded that over ~1800 or so differences in DIMM clock have really minimal impacts.

Speed ratings between the two types are not entirely the same.

• Options
    I've been remoted into my home PC all day today and about 4 different times, it has rebooted without warning.

Any ideas what could be causing this? It's not really under load or anything. These are my temps:

f22vP4A.png

I was a little weirded out by the thing on the MB that's reading 52C. Those are pretty much idle temps as the only things I'm really running are steam chat and teamviewer (though admittedly, those steam chats can get pretty hot :winky:)

it's definitely not temperature related. If it doens't do it when you're in front of it and using it, you can probably point to something in teamviewer screwing with it. Maybe something it's not liking with the display driver?

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

Speed ratings between the two types are not entirely the same.

I guess? But all the benchmarks I've seen have basically concluded that DDR4 is better, but not a huge upgrade by any means, so upgrading to Skylake (which is not a huge jump right now) to get a marginal increase in RAM performance is not super great value/money.

• Options
    IIRC it's that he wants to add more ram but doesn't want to waste money buying ddr3 ram when he could just upgrade the whole thing to ddr4. It requires a processor upgrade because the memory controller is on the processor die itself nowadays.

Some games do benefit from faster ram though. Bethesda games in particular see major performance increases, particularly on high end machines that aren't otherwise limited.

• Options
    And sticking with DDR3 now is a losing investment. Perhaps not for your relative who only sends emails and just doesn't understand where all those viruses came from. But for hobbyists, making the switch is far more necessary.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

f22vP4A.png

Windows 10?

Could just be rebooting to do updates since you're not "using it".

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Guys, I have failed you. My 1080 FTW is still sitting in its box on my desk. And my mom is staying over tonight, so I don't know if I'll have the time; but I will push to shoehorn the time in -- just for you!

• Options
    Guys, I have failed you. My 1080 FTW is still sitting in its box on my desk. And my mom is staying over tonight, so I don't know if I'll have the time; but I will push to shoehorn the time in -- just for you!

when you said shoehorn I thought you were going to talk about needing to help your mother put her shoes on.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

f22vP4A.png

Windows 10?

Would it do that 4 tunes on one day, though? I'm generally remoted in every day and it certainly hadn't done it with that frequency before. Rarely had it done it even once in a day. And the way I can tell it is rebooting is that all my windows are closed and Steam isn't running anymore.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

The time to do... what? Exchange it for a 1080ti?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

f22vP4A.png

Windows 10?

Would it do that 4 tunes on one day, though? I'm generally remoted in every day and it certainly hadn't done it with that frequency before. Rarely had it done it even once in a day. And the way I can tell it is rebooting is that all my windows are closed and Steam isn't running anymore.

There were some big updates that happened like 3-4 days ago that are making their way out in batches I think.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

More accurately, I want to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB, which requires the DDR4 move if I don't want to waste money on outdated RAM.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    And we have power cycling! Going to shoot myself

Guess who's stupid and didn't plug in the cpu

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

Bobkins Flymo? To be fair, it's the mistake 100% of system builders make at least once.

• Options
    Last time I just forgot the LEDs

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Posting from the new PC! Had a scare when it randomly restarted during the initial Windows install, but seems to be stable now?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Posting from the new PC! Had a scare when it randomly restarted during the initial Windows install, but seems to be stable now?

Do you have pictures?

• Options
    edited March 2017
    ILD50 wrote: »

Bobkins Flymo? To be fair, it's the mistake 100% of system builders make at least once.

Forgot to install the CPU or forgot to plug in the power leads from the PSU?

Because I've never done that. Either of them.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    And sticking with DDR3 now is a losing investment. Perhaps not for your relative who only sends emails and just doesn't understand where all those viruses came from. But for hobbyists, making the switch is far more necessary.

That seems hyperbolic. DDR4 outperforms DDR3 by 10-20% under optimal conditions (and when RAM speed is the bottleneck). It's an upgrade, but it is not the difference between a netbook and a souped up doom rig.

That's a bit like saying buying a 980 instead of a 1080 Ti is for your facebook relative. It's not cutting edge, but it's not exactly a 2000 era Gateway.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Believe what you want.

• Options
    Believe what you want.

Don't make the argument that if your rig isn't bleeding edge you may as well be a grandma checking facebook on a public terminal and then be dismissive when someone disagrees.

This discussion has been closed.