As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] AMD Radeon Chief Architect Raja Koduri Moves to Intel =O

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Corsair H50 is $25 US after rebate card

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835181010

You can get a AM4 bracket from Amazon or Ebay. Despite it explicitly saying it does not fit 1151; it does in fact fit 1151.

There are a fair number of Corsair AIOs on sale today or within the next short while, at Newegg. H80i v2 is $70 US after rebate card. H100i is $100 US after rebate card.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Alright, since I have an 8700K on the way, and I've committed at this point. I had to make some decisions as it were.

Those decisions are:

Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-A
    Cooler: Deepcool Captain 240 EX White RGB
    Memory: G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 CL14 (White/Silver)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE (White interior)

I'll be ordering a full white cable kit for my EVGA G2 1000 and white SATA cables. I'm keeping the RGB very light to start, just the cooler and mobo. I don't plan to use the fan halo RGBs. RGB color will be a light ice blue that matches the light gun metal blue accents on the motherboard. If that doesn't make it pop enough, I may add more later but I'm starting light with the lights (har har). Video card will still be my 1080 Ti FE. As much as my inner nerd wants me to buy one with a white aftermarket cooler to match the system, I'll grit my teeth and bare the silver for now and just turn the green LED off so it doesn't clash with the ice blue motif.

I'll be ordering all the goods as soon as I send my 8700K off to be delidded at Silicon Lottery. Hopefully it will comes together soon after that. Plan is to do the majority of the build over Thanksgiving week as I'll be off all that week and can really put the time in to it. I plan for the cable management to be immaculate. My current systems is really good, but I think I can do even better with a better case. My Carbide 500R was a really good case for it's time but it's super dated in terms of cable management and guide channel features.

e: To add a little random thought here: This is the first time I've built a system entirely by aesthetic instead of purely based on performance/ratings of the components. It's been interesting. White, specifically is a surprisingly underrepresented color in certain areas, specifically AIO's and tempered glass cases. I was lucky, I don't feel like I had to make a ton of component comrpomises to get my aesthetic. I'm getting good components that match. I can only imagine if you're trying to do a really out there build aesthetic, like copper or brass or something. Good luck. Hope your comfortable taping up and spray painting your multi-hundred dollar computer components.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    If you're up to it, I'm pretty sure they sell a Kraken bracket that is white. So you at least have that option for your 1080 Ti down the line.

• Options
    No plans to mess with my 1080 Ti honestly. I'll wait for Volta next year and get a matching AIB when one comes around. I was in more of a rush to get my 1080 Ti than I will be to get Volta's high end consumer card.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    DELIVER HARDER!

169wo7375s15.jpg

The PSU and second SDD arrived the day after I ordered them, but this got delayed because Amazon.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Alright, since I have an 8700K on the way, and I've committed at this point. I had to make some decisions as it were.

I am, right now, a half step ahead of you. It's time.
    323n43e2ieql.jpg

And yeah, this will be my first aesthetically consistent PC build. Once I realized that the trim on the MB is really white, I purposefully chose white/silver RAM and a white case. Also, I'm going to try for first boot into macOS, so that it will be a Gold Star Hackintosh.

htm on
  • Options
    Man I wanted to go X299 so bad. I made every excuse in the world to go HEDT this round, I just couldn't justify it. If X299 was just slightly less of a mess I think I could have convinced myself...but alas I'll go Z370 this time around. Maybe in six years when it's time to upgrade again Intel will have an HEDT platform out I can get behind.

• Options
    Man I wanted to go X299 so bad. I made every excuse in the world to go HEDT this round, I just couldn't justify it. If X299 was just slightly less of a mess I think I could have convinced myself...but alas I'll go Z370 this time around. Maybe in six years when it's time to upgrade again Intel will have an HEDT platform out I can get behind.

I actually wish I could have avoided X299. If building a Threadripper Hackintosh wasn't 10x as metal as building an Intel Hackintosh, I'd be on Team Red right now. But... I stared into the abyss of running macOS on a custom kernel, and... I blinked, before it could stare back into me.

• Options
    Thermal Grizzly thermal grease is one of the better ones on the market today, but... it's super viscous and doesn't always spread well. So...
    zczmy8q8sr1d.jpg

• Options
    Psh. Just nuke it.

>.>

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Less PC build (since this is more laptops), but this is the processor/etc tech thread anyway, so this thing finally got formally announced:

https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Less PC build (since this is more laptops), but this is the processor/etc tech thread anyway, so this thing finally got formally announced:

https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

That sounds like it's aimed straight at Apple. AMD has been their discrete GPU vendor for MacBooks for ages because for mobile, AMD is a lot more bang for the watt.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Reading articles and comments about the announcement has been a very interesting rorschach test.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Wow, that's...crazy. AMD is building a GPU for Intel to make an APU (if that's what you even call it I guess)...that directly competes with Raven Ridge? The die hard fan boys on both sides must be losing their minds. It is a pretty weird thing though just on the surface of it. I would have considered it much more likely that Intel and Nvidia would have formed the power pairing on an Intel based APU.

e: And yes, this is aimed squarely at Apple and the MacBook Pro. Which is fine by me as 8th gen also brings an i7 quad-core for the line of CPU's the MBP 13" uses and that will be my next upgrade. I use a 13" MBP as my personal coding laptop and I love it, but I really really want a quad core in it. If that means I can get something like this that would be bonus. Looking forward to the next MBP refresh.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Wow, that's...crazy. AMD is building a GPU for Intel to make an APU (if that's what you even call it I guess)...that directly competes with Raven Ridge? The die hard fan boys on both sides must be losing their minds. It is a pretty weird thing though just on the surface of it. I would have considered it much more likely that Intel and Nvidia would have formed the power pairing on an Intel based APU.

e: And yes, this is aimed squarely at Apple and the MacBook Pro. Which is fine by me as 8th gen also brings an i7 quad-core for the line of CPU's the MBP 13" uses and that will be my next upgrade. I use a 13" MBP as my personal coding laptop and I love it, but I really really want a quad core in it. If that means I can get something like this that would be bonus. Looking forward to the next MBP refresh.

Yeah, the next gen of MBPs should be interesting. They'll (hopefully) use Intel's 15W quad core CPUs. So either they'll get like... 2 days off of a single battery charge or else Jony Ive will redesign them to be 2mm thin.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I think nvidia is still sore about some of the shit intel pulled on the gtx cards however long ago that was

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    They also don't have much incentive to work alongside intel with how well their various divisions are doing right now. The embedded partnership will be good for amd, but the margins probably aren't super high.

• Options
    I skipped the touch bar generation entirely as I have early 2015 retina 13 and without the CPU going to quad-core (and supporting more than 16GB of memory, come on Apple, it's called the MacBook Pro) there is little reason to upgrade mine. My dream would be a 13" with one of these new Intel/AMD pairings and 32GB of RAM.

Damn you Apple for producing a UNIX based development system with a great screen, keyboard and touch pad. Every other UNIX laptop I've ever used has been a cheap plastic hunk of junk.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    hell the windows laptops are all garbage too

macbooks hands down the best laptops I've ever had the pleasure to use

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I think nvidia is still sore about some of the shit intel pulled on the gtx cards however long ago that was

And Intel really doesn't want Apple to build an ARM-based laptop. The A11 in the new iPhones is faster than mobile i5s from 2015.

• Options

I like my wife's surface pro quite a lot.

• Options
    htm wrote: »
    I am, right now, a half step ahead of you. It's time.

Posted, first try. But... a stick of RAM is MIA.

Also, the Be Quiet case has a neat feature where you can remove the MB tray and use it as a mini test bench. It even has rubber feet on the underside it to keep it steady.
    gutqc7809fso.jpg

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Your cable management needs work.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Screw you Amazon. My package went out for delivery twice, and was then delayed until tomorrow.

If you're going to use contract workers to deliver your goods, give them an idea of how to accomplish that.

My area is being used as a test for the Amazon Flex program, and this isn't the first package we've had get delayed despite us being Prime.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Like I give Apple (and by extension Macs) a lot of shit, as you do, but I have a 2009 MBP that actually still runs damn well despite it being ancient in computing terms. Replace the HDD with an SDD and drop in a new battery -- you know, back when you can do do that with laptops -- and it's still robust enough to run as a daily driver. Even managed to get High Sierra on the damn thing even though it's in no way supported anymore.

It kind of pains me to say that I'm actually looking to get a new MPB to have a *nix laptop around to do Nerd Stuff® with, and Apple is really the only game in town unless you to go weirdo upstarts like System 76.

• Options
    Zxerol wrote: »

Like I give Apple (and by extension Macs) a lot of shit, as you do, but I have a 2009 MBP that actually still runs damn well despite it being ancient in computing terms. Replace the HDD with an SDD and drop in a new battery -- you know, back when you can do do that with laptops -- and it's still robust enough to run as a daily driver. Even managed to get High Sierra on the damn thing even though it's in no way supported anymore.

It kind of pains me to say that I'm actually looking to get a new MPB to have a *nix laptop around to do Nerd Stuff® with, and Apple is really the only game in town unless you to go weirdo upstarts like System 76.

Any laptop can be a Linux daily.

I have a $200 11" Asus I put Linux on that I take everywhere and does everything.

You should really define what your want out of the laptop before spending the stupid sums that S76 wants. Even though I appreciate what they're trying to do, it certainly feels like a Linux tax.

• Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Say I wanted to take my old build and make it shrink to matx or itx size when I get the coffee lake setup done. Where can I look for a new motherboard? I'm totally surprised to see that a Z77 chipset still ends up being a $200 board, used in some cases...

I guess I was delusional to think I could drop $50 + a new case and be done with it... If I dropped Z77 what all would I lose? Be primarily a backup gaming setup for the wife so I could drop the OC a bit but I've got good ram and a 3570k/1060 set so it could still throw down some ok numbers.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Your cable management needs work.

Cable management is for cowards and traitors.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options
    I have that cooler on my server, and it is a beast that works very well. Even at full throttle, the heat doesn't really budge upward.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The Hyper 212 EVO actually is boss as fuck.

• Options
    Varinn wrote: »
    Say I wanted to take my old build and make it shrink to matx or itx size when I get the coffee lake setup done. Where can I look for a new motherboard? I'm totally surprised to see that a Z77 chipset still ends up being a $200 board, used in some cases...

I guess I was delusional to think I could drop $50 + a new case and be done with it... If I dropped Z77 what all would I lose? Be primarily a backup gaming setup for the wife so I could drop the OC a bit but I've got good ram and a 3570k/1060 set so it could still throw down some ok numbers.

There's one ITX Z77 board for $56 + $12 shipping with 6 bids, on Ebay. mATX is in the $90 range before shipping; which is a bit surprising. The other option is to transfer the full ATX board you have into a "slim" / "tabeltop" ATX case.

I wonder if you may have some luck emailing Newegg or Microcenter and asking if they have any back stock or refurb stock of Z77 boards. I think part of the problem is that Z87 ended up being much more popular than Z77 (at least from what I'm seeing), and so there are fewer parts sold on the secondary market.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Screw you Amazon. My package went out for delivery twice, and was then delayed until tomorrow.

If you're going to use contract workers to deliver your goods, give them an idea of how to accomplish that.

My area is being used as a test for the Amazon Flex program, and this isn't the first package we've had get delayed despite us being Prime.

i'm a staunch amazon lover but i've had two packages show up late in the last month. I finally contacted their support and they refunded the cost on a video card i had ordered (a nice cheap rx 560) and told me if it gets delivered to just keep it. I'm happy they refunded the cost and when i re-ordered the second package arrived on time but it's a little disconcerting to see this happen frequently. Don't fail me Amazon!

• Options
    I'm so incensed about this video card. I could have gone to a brick and mortar store and had things price matched and walked out that day. Now I'm 4 days deep and tracking shows the package as "delayed" not even back at the DC.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Christmas Day must kill you.

• Options
    Christmas Day must kill you.

Why so?

• Options
    I've noticed in my area some packages, especially small things, have started being delivered by "AMZL Ltd", which I assume is Amazon's contract delivery service. Couple of times they've almost not made it to my office in time to drop off packages before it closed, but nothing's been late...yet.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, they're making a push on Amazon Logistics shipping. The reported service versus established carriers is... not great.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    In canada they use some "intelcom" shipping service, which from what it looks like to me is kind of like uber for shipping. Whenever I order something from Prime here it's almost always intelcom, and generally it's like, a guy in a minivan or a sedan or something.

It's super weird.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Yeah, they're making a push on Amazon Logistics shipping. The reported service versus established carriers is... not great.

I just got off the phone with one of their "Head of Amazon Logistics" guys, and learned a few things. They do use a navigation/mapping program to give the drivers their routes, but he didn't know what training they received beyond that. He did say that it was "some" training though.

When I told him the first delivery driver had argued with me about my house numbers, and then asked him: "Are they trained in how streets are structured? Like, evens on the left, odds on the right?" There was a moment of hesitation before he said: "I didn't actually know that."

That bodes well.

Resolution was that he "prioritized" my package and assigned it to a driver who would be in the area. Tracking has updated to be "on the way" again. At first, they tried to tell me it wouldn't be here until tomorrow. Which I was not having.

This discussion has been closed.