As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] AMD Radeon Chief Architect Raja Koduri Moves to Intel =O

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I think you could do either 250k or 30% revenue on revenue above like $20,000 or something like that.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Dhalphir that case you suggested was out of stock at the picker site. this seems to be the same case but with some slight color changes

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    @Dhalphir that case you suggested was out of stock at the picker site. this seems to be the same case but with some slight color changes

Amazon has multiple colors: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NGMIBUU/?tag=pcpapi-20&th=1 including the white one if you wanted it. The colors don't all have the same price; the glossy black one is the cheapest.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So my mom has a laptop that's about 18 months old. It's still running fine, but after watching a Paul's Hardware vid where he upgraded his parents' PC, I'm thinking of taking it from her and doing the following:

* Swap hard drive for SSD (I may have done this when I bought it; I can't remember)
    * Fix an annoying keyboard bezel issue, if possible (there's a corner of the kb bezel that depresses when you push on it and I want to see if there's a way to support it or otherwise secure it)
    * Do a general cleaning, and possibly set her up with an external drive for backup (mostly photos)
    * ......other things (clean up/upgrade the Windows install, run the Spyware programs/apps, clean up the desktop)

Am I forgetting anything? Am I crazy for doing this? The laptop is a Lenovo, so I expect it to have fairly decent take-apart-ability.

• Options
    I personally wouldn't strip the laptop down to the keyboard if I could avoid it. It seems like more effort than it is worth for the majority of laptops.

One thing to keep in mind is to use something like teamviewer to do the maintenance stuff (you can even check the hard drive type in the system properties) really easily from your own home. Removing any lenovo bloat is a really good idea.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    if it doesn't have an SSD that is the single biggest/best upgrade you can make to a computer. Period.

For backup, I wouldn't do an external drive, she'll never remember to do it. Do some kind of online service. I'm partial to carbonite but there are others like crashplan, etc. Carbonite is I think $70/year and does automatic online backup of the entire machine.

At absolute worst pay for some onedrive storage and have it so all of her pictures she syncs end up in a onedrive folder which is then sync'd to the cloud.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Google drive has a windows app that works pretty well too.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Google drive has a windows app that works pretty well too.

Yea that's what I personally use, but one advantage to onedrive, especially on Windows 10, that it's just built in.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    If someone already uses a bunch of google services google drive is suuuper nice. Not that I have to sell you on that or anything.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    So my mom has a laptop that's about 18 months old. It's still running fine, but after watching a Paul's Hardware vid where he upgraded his parents' PC, I'm thinking of taking it from her and doing the following:

* Swap hard drive for SSD (I may have done this when I bought it; I can't remember)
    * Fix an annoying keyboard bezel issue, if possible (there's a corner of the kb bezel that depresses when you push on it and I want to see if there's a way to support it or otherwise secure it)
    * Do a general cleaning, and possibly set her up with an external drive for backup (mostly photos)
    * ......other things (clean up/upgrade the Windows install, run the Spyware programs/apps, clean up the desktop)

Am I forgetting anything? Am I crazy for doing this? The laptop is a Lenovo, so I expect it to have fairly decent take-apart-ability.

If it's a Lenovo, make sure to get rid of any bits of that Superfish nonsense.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    So, I just got my shipment with the processor, HDD, and all that other fun stuff. Just need the AM3 bracket, and we're in business.

• Options

If it's a Lenovo, make sure to get rid of any bits of that Superfish nonsense.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/superfish_uninstall

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    So, I just got my shipment with the processor, HDD, and all that other fun stuff. Just need the AM3 bracket, and we're in business.

...AM4 bracket?

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »

...AM4 bracket?

Nope, AM3.

One of the very nice features of the MB I bought is that it has both AM3 and AM4 mounts. Which is good, since my AIO only has the AM3 bracket, and Corsair is taking their sweet time sending me the AM4 version. (To be fair, they did give it to me for free.) That said, it only shipped with an AM4 backplate, so I need an AM3 backplate, which should be arriving tomorrow.

• Options

...AM4 bracket?

Nope, AM3.

One of the very nice features of the MB I bought is that it has both AM3 and AM4 mounts. Which is good, since my AIO only has the AM3 bracket, and Corsair is taking their sweet time sending me the AM4 version. (To be fair, they did give it to me for free.) That said, it only shipped with an AM4 backplate, so I need an AM3 backplate, which should be arriving tomorrow.

Wait, I'm confused. I thought AM3 and AM4 were fundamentally incompatible, like putting an Intel 1150 chip in an 1151 socket. Is that not true?

• Options

...AM4 bracket?

Nope, AM3.

Wait, I'm confused. I thought AM3 and AM4 were fundamentally incompatible, like putting an Intel 1150 chip in an 1151 socket. Is that not true?

I'm not talking about the socket, but the mounting bracket and backplate for the CPU cooler.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Typically, multiple options are included with the AIOs. Hedgie lucked out.

• Options
    So have any of you mucked around with Ebates? I know they offer rebates for Amazon, but those rebates appear to be restricted by category, and don't seem to include electronics/computers. It's not 100% clear though.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    What's going on with Intel sockets? Is 1156 the newest and going to be the most common going forward? Previous part picker list had a 1151 mobo, and I'm wondering if I should move over to different socket type.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    What's going on with Intel sockets? Is 1156 the newest and going to be the most common going forward? Previous part picker list had a 1151 mobo, and I'm wondering if I should move over to different socket type.

wait, what? 1156 is super old. Like, discontinued in 2012 old.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    wunderbar wrote: »

Their number scheme makes no sense!
    Edit:
    Alright, sorry it does look like 1151 is latest greatest.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

Their number scheme makes no sense!

it's just the number of pins in the socket, has no correlation to date.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Pick the CPU you want and then find the most recent MB with features you want that supports whatever it is. Don't think about socket type until you've picked the CPU.

• Options

The issue is that the platform is new enough that manufacturers would rather have the people who need the bracket request it, instead of shipping a part that 90% of the people buying it won't need.

• Options
    Also, the Enthoo Pro is a dream to work with. Everything is organized, and the screws come in their own case.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Also, the Enthoo Pro is a dream to work with. Everything is organized, and the screws come in their own case.

I'm seriously considering the Enthoo Luxe Tempered now that my PC is up off the floor and visible.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Is there a benefit to overclocking a CPU to just its turbo/boost frequency? My Ryzen 1700 has a base of 3.0 GHz and a boost of 3.7 GHz. I overclocked it to 3.7 GHz, but I'm curious if there's any real performance benefit to doing that if it can boost that high anyway. Maybe it guarantees it runs at those speeds versus hoping it does?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Dashui wrote: »
    Is there a benefit to overclocking a CPU to just its turbo/boost frequency? My Ryzen 1700 has a base of 3.0 GHz and a boost of 3.7 GHz. I overclocked it to 3.7 GHz, but I'm curious if there's any real performance benefit to doing that if it can boost that high anyway. Maybe it guarantees it runs at those speeds versus hoping it does?

If you're disabling turbo and then overclocking it to the turbo boost... don't do that. There's no gain. There are no situations where the processor won't boost up to it's max clock rate when needed, so you're not gaining any performance and you're just wasting power.

Edit: unless ryzen's turbo boost only boosts one core or something fuckey, but I don't think that's the case.

LD50 on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

If you're disabling turbo and then overclocking it to the turbo boost... don't do that. There's no gain. There are no situations where the processor won't boost up to it's max clock rate when needed, so you're not gaining any performance and you're just wasting power.

Edit: unless ryzen's turbo boost only boosts one core or something fuckey, but I don't think that's the case.

I went back to the default settings, and I noticed Windows and its programs seemed to launch/run slower. I guess by keeping the clock higher I may be maximizing my system performance? I didn't need to raise the voltage for pushing it to the turbo clock rate, either.

I may try pushing it higher later, but my initial tests doing so weren't as exciting as some other people's. I'm not sure if a 100 MHz increase is worth it for the increase in voltage and temperature, at least not until I get an AIO cooler.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options

The issue is that the platform is new enough that manufacturers would rather have the people who need the bracket request it, instead of shipping a part that 90% of the people buying it won't need.

Oh, right. AM4? Okay, that is too new. Eventually I'm sure they brackets will end up in the package.

• Options

I went back to the default settings, and I noticed Windows and its programs seemed to launch/run slower. I guess by keeping the clock higher I may be maximizing my system performance? I didn't need to raise the voltage for pushing it to the turbo clock rate, either.

I may try pushing it higher later, but my initial tests doing so weren't as exciting as some other people's. I'm not sure if a 100 MHz increase is worth it for the increase in voltage and temperature, at least not until I get an AIO cooler.

The real reality of OCing is that doing so is mainly a benefit for people who are almost constantly maxing out their performance anyway. People who don't generally do a lot of intensive work will see performance gains on an OC, but as LD50 says, are wasting power for a gain the turbo tends to take care of on its own.

Only you can determine if you need the constant speeds the OC will give you. And if you just want it, we don't judge here.
    Except for LEDs. Because you're assuredly doing it wrong!

• Options
    I don't know what the OC situation is with ryzen, but with my devil's canyon i7 I don't need to disable turbo to OC; OCing can just increase the maximum turbo speed. If you take a look at the real time clock rate/clock multiplier changes you'll understand why I say there's no benefit to disabling turbo: the turbo features are so good now they can change the clock speed from millisecond to millisecond. I bet any performance changes you saw were unrelated to your OC changes.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    My wallet just caught fire

Dell starts selling it's 8K 32" monitor

And for a Friday special, here's the mod you need if you want more compute power instead of better graphics:
    t31tkj4wxvri.jpg

Mugsley on
  • Options
    I wonder how many ti calculators worth of processing power 2 1080 tis have.

• Options
    So, smoke test was successful, though the inability to set things up until I got the AM3 bracket meant that I had to go pick up my wife right after. So when we get home, assembly.

• Options
    And it's finally in the case. I'm installing Windows on it right now.

• Options
    And first post from the new machine. This has been a long day, but it's been worth it.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    the best part is the tape measure holding them up

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    My wallet just caught fire

Dell starts selling it's 8K 32" monitor

And for a Friday special, here's the mod you need if you want more compute power instead of better graphics:
    t31tkj4wxvri.jpg

I feel like my 1050Ti would have trouble even pushing that many pixels while just browsing the web.

• Options
    So, smoke test was successful, though the inability to set things up until I got the AM3 bracket meant that I had to go pick up my wife right after. So when we get home, assembly.

I still do not understand why you need an AM3 bracket for an AM4 CPU and how that was a thing that had to be ordered (I know my Kraken came with the AM3 bracket) but at this point I'm not going to bother.

I'll worry about it if/when I ever decide to build an AMD PC.

This discussion has been closed.