As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Sara's out and Scott free; tag your spoilers.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    as a note on melee weapon behaviour

by FAR the best melee weapon is the asari huntress sword

crazy base damage but most importantly it teleports you before you attack - its range is enormous as a consequence, as you do a little teleport forwards and a minidash if theyre far away, but the teleport is smart and adjusts for your relative positioning so it wont over or undershoot you. it also seems to make you a bit invulnerable while its going off

this means it feels 93.47% less ass than, say, the kett fire sword

You can also use the teleport to go through doors and walls

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    yo what the fuck is this conversation with Suvi after Eos?
    there's a correct response to your new coworker/employee openly declaring their religion the second time you ever talk to them: it's politely changing the subject in a noncommittal way.
    it's not "yeah, me too"
    and it's definitely not "actually god is fake"
    especially when said new coworker is a cute redhead that maybe you might want to ask out sometime and neither lying to her nor insulting her worldview are particularly endearing

Well

it is established that Ryder has no fucking clue what they're doing.

so there's that at least!

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The previously mentioned Dork Ryder:

https://masseffectarchives.com/#user/2330342089/playthrough/1401231378/gender/female

And Dad Ryder

https://masseffectarchives.com/#user/2330342089/playthrough/1403217012/gender/male

With all the strength, speed and agility of a middle aged man.
    After being bitten by a radioactive paternal pathfinder on Habitat 7, like a highlander, he absorbed his dad powers.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Here's my Ryder, pretty happy with how she turned out:

https://masseffectarchives.com/#user/2317018587/playthrough/1387401129/gender/female

Except for some reason the website displays the default name? Huh.

I'll try to get a decent in-game shot from one of the cutscenes tonight.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    there's a correct response to your new coworker/employee openly declaring their religion the second time you ever talk to them: it's politely changing the subject in a noncommittal way.
    it's not "yeah, me too"
    especially when said new coworker is a cute redhead that maybe you might want to ask out sometime and neither lying to her nor insulting her worldview are particularly endearing

Well

That's why I play Ryder as an Engineer and not a Vanguard. Shepard was worthy of the title, "Vangod" and led her squad from the front by biotically catapulting herself into the fray. Ryder... chucks down a turret, panda rolls into cover, and concentrates hard on not shooting her squadmates in the back.

Ryder as Vanguard just ruins my suspension of disbelief.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    it's not "yeah, me too"

the conversation after that is so fucking adorkable

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »
    it's not "yeah, me too"

Well

That's why I play Ryder as an Engineer and not a Vanguard. Shepard was worthy of the title, "Vangod" and led her squad from the front by biotically catapulting herself into the fray. Ryder... chucks down a turret, panda rolls into cover, and concentrates hard on not shooting her squadmates in the back.

Ryder as Vanguard just ruins my suspension of disbelief.

Think of VanRyder more as a drunk frat boy charging head first into danger, surviving only by luck and space magic

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So, there's a short haired curly pixie cut on one of hte NPCs and did I miss that hairstyle in the creator? I went with the female caesar because the braids were... not ideal. Would have taken one of the dude hairstyles on my twin that is my mirror Ryder playthrough if I have one.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    How's combat in SP? I'm hearing mixed things but if it's basically the same as ME3 then I'll be fine.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Do biotic skills like pull and throw benefit more from offensive biotics or containment?

Its containment, right? I would assume since they're more about manipulating the enemy than damaging him outright.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    How's combat in SP? I'm hearing mixed things but if it's basically the same as ME3 then I'll be fine.

I'd say it's closer to the MP than the original ME SP games

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    finished Eos, wish they would make the non mission stuff a bit more streamlined but that's never gonna happen and things are so spaced out (lulz) even in the outpost that it feels like busywork and not storywork.

As far as R&D stations go, what in the way to go? Buy weapons or make them, and buy the plans or find them or what?

And removing Y as your middle power button and making it LB&RB is silly.

• Options
    The Classic:

"Hey, the pathfinder is here. Now we can save the galaxy..."
    Rando Citizen: "Help save my husband!"

Pathfinder: "Oh, hey. You want me to solve this murder mystery? Sure. The galaxy can wait."

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Edit: Wrong thread.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Finally took a break from the MP to start working on the SP today. Knocked out Eos - well, some of it, anyway. Leaving the planet:
    The Eos debrief meeting is, so far, the best scene in the game, and actually had some well-directed motion and VA! The idealistic FemRyder telling people to just get along, and having everyone just kind of roll their eyes and wander off is punctuated perfectly by Ryder's expression and weak "...good meeting, everyone...", spoken to the no-one left in the room. That's great.

It delivers that idea that the Pathfinder has a long way to go, and made me feel some real empathy towards my Ryder for the first time in the game. Hope that this is a theme that continues and pays off.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The Classic:

Pathfinder: "Oh, hey. You want me to solve this murder mystery? Sure. The galaxy can wait."

Yea, that's another quest where the ending was real stupid.
    You exile the dude for attempted murder and you tell folks what fucking happened. That is not hard. Geez.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Honestly I wouldn't have
    exiled him anyway. His captain was being an idiot.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    The Classic:

Yea, that's another quest where the ending was real stupid.
    You exile the dude for attempted murder and you tell folks what fucking happened. That is not hard. Geez.
    I wanted to slap Tann upside the head for forgetting that attempted murder is, ya know, a thing.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Eos Survey Hammers:
    Of course they did that. Those bastards.

• Options
    I'm gonna have to come back to Eos before I try to 100% it. This one sidequest is wrecking me and I just feel underleveled/equipped.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    I love that long range is a thing again but I hate that the AI just stands around not being able to figure out what is going on as I snipe them from 200m.

Sometimes they take cover, so there's that. Not much help to them when I'm lobbing giant "fuck you" rounds at them, however.

IDK, the Kett were trading sniper blows with me from one side of the winter map to the other. It was on Silver so maybe the difficulty helps.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I meant in SP. I don't think the MP maps are large enough to break their AI, plus they automatically know where you are at all times to begin with.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Strikor wrote: »
    I love that long range is a thing again but I hate that the AI just stands around not being able to figure out what is going on as I snipe them from 200m.

Sometimes they take cover, so there's that. Not much help to them when I'm lobbing giant "fuck you" rounds at them, however.

IDK, the Kett were trading sniper blows with me from one side of the winter map to the other. It was on Silver so maybe the difficulty helps.

MP is a little different for the AI than SP.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Quick question regarding the nexus module for caches: is level 30 the "cap" for gear drops in SP? I.E. rank 5 is the highest, so if you're level 30 or level 100 you still get the rank 5 stuff? I'm just wondering if I want to hold off on a good chunk of these for a few more levels then just go nuts.

EDIT: second question actually, regarding Voeld:
    can you actually get explicit permission to settle? I have Viability at 100% and have been doing every mission there I can find. I did the big assault mission to save the person and everything. I still haven't had anyone say it's ok. I put the settlement down and the lady said the guy on Aya was up her ass, so maybe I need to go back and talk to him?

Or maybe you just do it and there isn't anything else to it?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I saw Jaal naked. I don't recommend it...

Also had two full extractions fighting Outlaws in MP! Basically, it's just the Kett that are goddamn impossible... Now if only EA would stop being cheapasses and spring for servers or whatever. P2P is hot garbage quite frequently :(

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Also, the Sidewinder revolver is super cool and fits the whole wild west vibe going on in the game. It chews through ammo so fast, though!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Quick question regarding the nexus module for caches: is level 30 the "cap" for gear drops in SP? I.E. rank 5 is the highest, so if you're level 30 or level 100 you still get the rank 5 stuff? I'm just wondering if I want to hold off on a good chunk of these for a few more levels then just go nuts.

I've heard gear goes up rank 10 and they only show you up to rank 5 at research early on.

But speaking of cryo-pod rewards...I was roaming in the field for a long, long time, and came back to grab my rewards. Then I came back an hour later and grabbed...the same amount of rewards. Someone tell me I'm missing something and they didn't actually make the timed rewards that you have to collect at the Tempest a one-slot-fill thing, and that it actually accrues rewards steadily until you collect them? Because if they're not "earning" anything until you collect them (aka load back to your ship, which inexplicably means also returning to atmosphere), then that is either a staggeringly amateur design decision or a staggeringly bad one.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

\I've heard gear goes up rank 10 and they only show you up to rank 5 at research early on.

This is true. Once you research the rank 5 version, a new research project shows up called "Advanced X" that goes from rank 6-10. I have no idea why the UI is designed like this.

The rank 10 item requires level 80 though. Not sure how reasonably attainable that is in a SP playthrough.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Wait...you actually get to see the non asari aliens get freaky in this one?

Bold move, Bioware. Bet you still can't hit on krogans though.

Nobody is ready for that scene. We may never be.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

It wasn't a sexy times scene. Just some shenanigans on The Tempest.

Angara have gross looking chests... not a bad booty, tho!

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

I've heard gear goes up rank 10 and they only show you up to rank 5 at research early on.

But speaking of cryo-pod rewards...I was roaming in the field for a long, long time, and came back to grab my rewards. Then I came back an hour later and grabbed...the same amount of rewards. Someone tell me I'm missing something and they didn't actually make the timed rewards that you have to collect at the Tempest a one-slot-fill thing, and that it actually accrues rewards steadily until you collect them? Because if they're not "earning" anything until you collect them (aka load back to your ship, which inexplicably means also returning to atmosphere), then that is either a staggeringly amateur design decision or a staggeringly bad one.

If it's anything like ME3, you get rank 5 in the initial playthrough, and can get up to rank 10 for new game plus

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    finished Eos, wish they would make the non mission stuff a bit more streamlined but that's never gonna happen and things are so spaced out (lulz) even in the outpost that it feels like busywork and not storywork.

As far as R&D stations go, what in the way to go? Buy weapons or make them, and buy the plans or find them or what?

And removing Y as your middle power button and making it LB&RB is silly.

Depending upon how much you've been scanning/mining you might be better off researching some augments and then researching/developing weapons with augments in them.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Is there any way to expand the number of research projects/blueprints you can get your hands on? It seems like the shit you can research is incredibly limited; I have a Halberd I in my inventory but my Mattock IV is still serving me damned well, and I can actually craft newer Mattocks if I feel like.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

You could bang Garrus and Thane in ME2!

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I wish I had a giant mane of frizzy curls for my space Merida. Also good redhead colors that don't look like a bad dye job.

Also I'm sorry but if my brother and I have flaming hair it would be nice if pa ryder did too. Dude just looks like EJ Olmos.

e: My current FemRyder https://masseffectarchives.com/#user/2266560858/playthrough/467434425/gender/female

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    busting out shit jokes that flop in diplomatic situations

yes

yessssss

Boris Johnson ryder

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    So for folks still starting out, Kana's list of Shit I wish I realized Earlier:

- Right click in the Nomad to change between 4 wheel drive and all wheel drive. 4 wheel drive is faster, awd gets you up hills.
    - When you're in the Nomad, you can hold "T" to immediately get teleported back to the Tempest. Useful shortcut, and necessary on at least one planet to leave.
    - The cryo perk that gets you supply caches revealed on your map is an excellent early pick. It'll give you a dependable supply of scrap, consumables, and gear as you explore.

- You don't really NEED to research anything, you can buy or find most weapons. However crafting a gun lets you include gear mods and lets you give it extra slots. So find a gun you like, then research it up and make a badass version of it. Same deal with armor.
    - When you need to upgrade, disassemble your souped up gun to get the mods back for your next version.
    - There are weapon mod vendors later with good selections, so don't worry too much about saving your sniper rifle mods just in case you decide to pick up a sniper rifle eventually. Just take the money.
    - Lightning mods on guns deal bonus shield damage, beam weapons deal bonus armor damage, but they'll both deal reduced damage to normal health otherwise. So they can be good if say, your biotics can't deal with armor, but don't put it on every gun in your kit. Ricochet mods seem to just generally suck, though maybe it'd work on a shotgun?

- When you run into encampments of baddies, there will almost always be a reward in the camp for you. Either a chest with gear, or an item you can scan for a nice score of research points. Eventually the camps will repopulate without the reward. Points of interest like that will stay white on the map if you haven't looted it or if they're still tied to a quest, and either disappear or turn blue once you've done everything there.

- The Sudoku puzzles on Remnant ruins can't have duplicates in the standard row or column, but also not in the shapes on the grid. Adding in the shapes makes a lot of the puzzles considerably easier.

- If you want to skip quests, skip tasks. The secondary quests are usually worthwhile.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Not really happy with my FemRyder. Dad Ryder looks nothing like my character.

https://masseffectarchives.com/#user/2310167472/playthrough/632330636/gender/female

Think about restarting with one of the Asian head presets.

Also, does disabling origin overlay mean you can't voice chat in multiplayer?

I want to use steam to do screenshots, but also want to opportunity to use voice chat.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Its probably too soon after release but does anyone know of guides or analysis of skill upgrading for multiplayer classes?

This discussion has been closed.