As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Sara's out and Scott free; tag your spoilers.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Am I missing something with Annihilation? It says it primes for combos, but at least in SP it totally does not.

I ended up abandoning it for Pull which has worked far better to my playstyle (this is the first ME I haven't played SP primarily as a soldier class), since, as mentioned, singularity has too long of a cooldown to just pull > charge all the things, cleaning up with Nova and a Krogan hammer.

But I had hoped I could just keep Annihilation on and use it to give me more combos in close combat, easily, and charge to keep my shields up. It does not.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I'm playing traditional Adept. Lance, Shockwave and Singularity with a hard hitting pistol.

Though I'm having second thoughts about singularity, has it ever really been that good? It's a long CD CC that will rarely be hitting more than 2 people. Might be better off going for Pull with the additional projectile upgrade.

Shame there's no warp but a no frills high damage/low cd power is nice.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Singularity in ME1 was stupid powerful; but that was possibly more to do with its combat system failings then the power itself being super notable. As in it was really common for enemies to remain clumped up and it would just trivialize almost any encounter. Throw, too, at least for the very last area of the game, was silly powerful and awesome.

I don't recall if it had the shield restrictions that ME2/3/A have? It has been a long time. But the enemies getting something resembling decent AI in later games made stationary, long cooldown, abilities less than ideal.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I have to say it's odd that Mass Effect: Andromeda forces you to engage in three relationships for achievements, where as the previous games only required one. :\

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'm enjoying the heck out of the game now that I have more abilities and the universe has opened up.

The problem is that it's clearly an unfinished game, with inadequate direction. It's also a truly massive game (I'm about 20 hours in and I've halfway completed one planet and I think completed a second).

I strongly suspect that the plan was for a more ME1 type experience with the lessons learned from previous games, but on Skyrim's scale. And then they ran into the problem Bethesda runs into, which is that massive expansive games like that take about 10 years to make properly, and the game will look like ass because it's about 5 years past its best by date! So what happened was they ran out of time, polished it up as best they could given the constraints, and released it. Because the little details take a long time to get right, and I suspect it could have taken another year or two (or more!) to iron out all the little wrinkles in the game. And ME:A looks like an improved ME3. It doesn't look anything as good as HZD. And that deficiency will only grow with time.

So out it comes now, while it's still possible for people to enjoy it without it looking like ass. As a result it's a bit janky despite the long development time and delay.
    I don't recall if [Singularity] had the shield restrictions that ME2/3/A have? It has been a long time. But the enemies getting something resembling decent AI in later games made stationary, long cooldown, abilities less than ideal.

No shield restrictions, but heavier units wouldn't necessarily be effected by it (like Armatures).
    I have to say it's odd that Mass Effect: Andromeda forces you to engage in three relationships for achievements, where as the previous games only required one. :\

ME1 required a bare minimum of 3 (or maybe 6?) complete playthroughs to get all achievements.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

ME1 required a bare minimum of 3 (or maybe 6?) complete playthroughs to get all achievements.

But you only had to bother with the romance content once.

• Options

Can you do this in one playthrough?
    I'm pretty sure Peebee has a "no strings" option that doesn't stop you from romancing anyone else, but I don't know if that counts as one for the achievement?

I also wonder if "romancing" non-squadmates inhibits you from having the "real" romance options for your squad. I.E. if you bang the reporter, does that count as one, and does it stop you from doing, say, Cora?

I'm sure someone on the interwebs knows this already. I don't have any idea personally, though.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. ME:A really does feel like ME1:Remake in a lot of ways.

Like they wanted to combine the tighter combat and bigger character focus of ME2/3 with the sprawl and exploration of ME1.

And while I don't think it perfect and they still have more work to do in some areas, I've been enjoying it.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    For the dialogue system they should have consulted me because I am an expert game maker:

1ZVbmmN.gif

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Bioware said they made some pretty good bangin' and they're gonna make sure you see all of it.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I have really enjoyed most of the game, and good lord it's certainly got plenty to do.

But jeez, yesterday I was playing and realized my team chatter is bugged, haven't gotten a single team conversation in the last 2 days of gameplay.
    While I made this realization I was also playing with my mouse cursor locked in the middle of the screen, which it does constantly
    And my team was having a conversation weighing the pros and cons of a choice in a quest that I had already finished, but the game regularly fails to remove the dialogue triggers about quests from the map.
    Luckily it was mostly drowned out by SAM explaining to me how the mining system works (and btw, is it too hard to make the mining interface flash when you're picking up minerals, instead of the moment you get into a zone? I'm constantly opening the interface only for nothing to be there)
    And then I went back to the Tempest and remembered to save before I checked the APEX screen because debriefing causes my game to hang about half the time.
    And then I concluded the night with a main plot mission where I had to save a ship, and when the ship zipped off to safety in a dramatic, cinematic cutscene... where it clipped right through the enemy vessel on its escape. Seriously?

It's really a testament to how much of this game is great that I'm still enjoying it, because jesus christ does it desperately need patching.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying the heck out of the game now that I have more abilities and the universe has opened up.

The problem is that it's clearly an unfinished game, with inadequate direction. It's also a truly massive game (I'm about 20 hours in and I've halfway completed one planet and I think completed a second).

I was just about to post something along these lines.
    I 'beat' Eos (it's at 82% viability now that the vault is online and because I've done every side quest possible that's not in the level 3 radiation zones), and I just got Jaal. But, there's a ton of things that are rough around the edges, like:

Animations. The original ME trilogy looked better than this. My custom face for Sara contorts in ways not possible for humans far more often than it should. A lot's been said about it, but it's really, really bad.

Story progression bugs. I had Drack talking over the Tempest intercom before he joined my party, and Jaal sent me an email before I ever met him. A game really shouldn't spoil itself.

Combat. What is cover? Hell if I know. Sometimes my Ryder will duck behind a wall or something, sometimes she won't. There's no rhyme or reason.

The UI is terrible. And I'm not sure if I should even be engaging in the local economy, or if I should just craft (ugh) all my stuff.

Haven't tried multiplayer yet, but I hear it's a trainwreck.

This isn't to say I'm not enjoying myself. I am. It scratches that ME itch in a pretty cool way. It's just that it's obvious the game needed another year or so in the oven.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So I have two quests that are bugged right now. On Eos I'm supposed to be putting some seismic hammers down and when I approach the nav point to place the second one, it automatically switches to a different objective to meet some people... that aren't there.

And on Voeld I have to also meet some people, who are not at the nav point.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    So uh, Liam's loyalty mission is definitely bugged for me. I beat the boss 3 times now, and then it just leaves me in the room, trapped, no cutscene, nothing happens. Since you can only auto save during the mission, the autosaves have overidden themselves to the point that there's nothing I can reload beyond just going back a full hour to my last manual save before I started the mission.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Am I missing something with Annihilation? It says it primes for combos, but at least in SP it totally does not.

I ended up abandoning it for Pull which has worked far better to my playstyle (this is the first ME I haven't played SP primarily as a soldier class), since, as mentioned, singularity has too long of a cooldown to just pull > charge all the things, cleaning up with Nova and a Krogan hammer.

But I had hoped I could just keep Annihilation on and use it to give me more combos in close combat, easily, and charge to keep my shields up. It does not.

The radius of Annihilation is pretty small. That could be the problem? But enemied get all glowy and blue when they are in the radius, and as long as you hit them with a detonator (Throw and Lance for instance) it will generate a combo. It has an evolution which makes the radius bigger, which helps. But if it is not working for you I would guess you are either not using a detonator, or aren't close enough? Or yeah something is wrong which would be lame since it is a fun power when it works right.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So I have two quests that are bugged right now. On Eos I'm supposed to be putting some seismic hammers down and when I approach the nav point to place the second one, it automatically switches to a different objective to meet some people... that aren't there.

Did you try reloading? I had the same issue and a quick save and reload caused the npc to spawn.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    edited March 2017

The radius of Annihilation is pretty small. That could be the problem? But enemied get all glowy and blue when they are in the radius, and as long as you hit them with a detonator (Throw and Lance for instance) it will generate a combo. It has an evolution which makes the radius bigger, which helps. But if it is not working for you I would guess you are either not using a detonator, or aren't close enough? Or yeah something is wrong which would be lame since it is a fun power when it works right.

I have its radius buffs, and I have Adept at level 4 now, so it is pretty large. Guys are blue, and I have Charge to detonate (don't recall if it is a talent or innate); but it just doesn't work. Enemies clearly have the debuff. Dunno why. Maybe I should try another detonator.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Did you try reloading? I had the same issue and a quick save and reload caused the npc to spawn.

I tried reloading several times last night for Eos. I haven't tried on Voeld yet.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

I had the same issue, I saved near the marker and reloaded and they loaded into the game properly

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Bioware said they made some pretty good bangin' and they're gonna make sure you see all of it.

yeah, there's... something of an ironic exclusion in that. but eh.

maybe I can save scum it later down the line. either way, gotta eat a fair bit of roll back because I skipped some conversations during intros though.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular

I had this same problem for the hammers. I came back later (so reloading the map and restarting the game) and they were there that time. Have fun with that one.

And a tip to @Strikor and any others who are struggling on the bases, you should be constantly moving forward, especially when there's an alarm that needs to be turned off as the "incoming reinforcements" SAM mentions are infinite and will spawn out of thin air throughout the map, including areas you have cleared (i.e. even a few feet behind you in some cases!). Note that the final fight follows a mechanic similar to the main objective on Voeld.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

Can you do this in one playthrough?
    I'm pretty sure Peebee has a "no strings" option that doesn't stop you from romancing anyone else, but I don't know if that counts as one for the achievement?

I also wonder if "romancing" non-squadmates inhibits you from having the "real" romance options for your squad. I.E. if you bang the reporter, does that count as one, and does it stop you from doing, say, Cora?

I'm sure someone on the interwebs knows this already. I don't have any idea personally, though.

From what I stumbled across in one guide, there are two types of romances in the game: "Committed" and "Casual". You can only have one Committed romance, but Casual romances don't affect the committed romance. Some spoilered examples of these:
    PeeBee has both a Casual romance and Committed romance. The reported is Casual. Liam is committed.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

maybe I can save scum it later down the line. either way, gotta eat a fair bit of roll back because I skipped some conversations during intros though.

This is why achievements are terrible and a blight upon gaming. Because people warp their play to be able to finish achievements, even when they don't enjoy it.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    I'm indecisive at the best of times...now they throw Vetra and Jaal at me and I'm damn near crippled.

Jaal only being available for Sara doesn't even help that much...they're both great and there's no guarantee I'll even play through as the male ryder.

Biotics also seem like a bit of a let down, unless you go for a charge/anhilation kind of build which could be fun...it's weird but I always preferred the psychic mage kind of game-play. Meanwhile tech seems like it's amazeing, especially after peebees secret project.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular

I have its radius buffs, and I have Adept at level 4 now, so it is pretty large. Guys are blue, and I have Charge to detonate (don't recall if it is a talent or innate); but it just doesn't work. Enemies clearly have the debuff. Dunno why. Maybe I should try another detonator.

Yeah that is weird. Maybe charge has an issue when you are the source of the Primer? In MP at least I can prime for other Vanguards to detonate and it works fine. Maybe your Charge brings down your aura? That sounds like an bad oversight though.

• Options

This is why achievements are terrible and a blight upon gaming. Because people warp their play to be able to finish achievements, even when they don't enjoy it.

Counterpoint: some achievements lead people to experience something in a game they otherwise wouldn't have, and it can be a positive experience.

I can understand not liking achievements, but that they are thus inherently terrible isn't logic that follows from that. Just don't do them? I mean, if we were talking about achievements that unlock content, ok, that is a discussion worth having; but totally superfluous ones that grant nothing but a Pavlovian response to a popup...meh?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Yeah that is weird. Maybe charge has an issue when you are the source of the Primer? In MP at least I can prime for other Vanguards to detonate and it works fine. Maybe your Charge brings down your aura? That sounds like an bad oversight though.

Annihilation does not damage fast enough for it to work with charge from across the map. The devs wanted you to work a little to break the game.

• Options

Wouldn't blame the meta-game. Would blame the poor design decision. Though I suppose if one were to look at it from the misperception that they intentionally made the females "less attractive" or whatever, it's a pretty amusing take-that.

The roll back is like an hour or two of playtime. I'm barely 11% though the SP game according to my saves. I hopped back to the ship and triggered a few dialogues and missed a prompt on a character introduction. No biggie.

I just read EnclaveofGnomes pseudo spoiler... is there an equivalent for a male Ryder?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Oh yeah!! A Bioware classic is back.

(non-story spoiler, re: crumbs in the galley):
    Space hamster!

Tynnan on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    Anyone have an issue where skipping ahead in dialogue skips more than one section? I feel like sometimes, but not every time, when I skip to the next line it skips multiples.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's happened to me a bunch. I suspect it's related to when during a line I hit skip, like if I skip too late in a line it'll apply the skip to the following one or something.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    You know what's killed me the most on Hardcore? Conversations.

I've had multiple instances of finishing an encounter, initiating the conversation that culminates a given quest's whatever, and during that dialogue some random thing will spawn and kill me. Which obviously breaks the game, because it doesn't know how to handle a player's death amidst a conversation tree.

You would think they'd make the player invulnerable during dialogue and/or disable enemy behaviors.

• Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    Just spend a couple of hours trying to do the special Apex mission "Drack's Missing Scouts". The most important bit is this: the game automatically resets the mission type back to non-Apex if you fail for any reason. Thus you need to be the host and change it back to Apex after every try, or play with a host who knows about this bug. The mission itself is quite tough for Bronze, and has set Wave 3/6 objectives. These are Hack and Upload, the latter of which is quite difficult against Kett. I kept hosting and finally got a good group of randos, and got it done. Good luck all!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I don't do anything achievement related and I just turn them off. But even from that perspective that's not the fault of the achievements. Like if you can't stop yourself from doing something you don't enjoy that's no one's fault but your own.

• Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Spoilered for banging, edited for phone autocorrect fail fixing...
    My BroRyder is banging Peebee for sure. Working on Cora too, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna go for that or stick with Peebee... Vetra is an awesome character, but I just don't see romancing her. Feels more like an older sister or aunt to Ryder, not a love interest.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Ok listen

I don't have this game yet because I'm a freelancer and thus my paychecks come "uhh... sometimes?" (which is also to say I've been having bad mental health times and not getting work done)

BUT ANYWAY look I need y'all to confirm something

I heard that somewhere in this game, there's an advertisement for a Krogan LARP group

is this true

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    That certainly sounds like something that would be in this game.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    God, everything to do with the apex missions and the app are such fucking junk

Completed Drack's mission in multi. Got zero rewards. Looks still available, try again in multi, no rewards. Try to assign a team to it, it disconnects me from multiplayer entirely. Try and assign a team to it in app and it tells me a team is already assigned.

Try to assign a team to a new apex mission. Team is already assigned.

Try to assign a team to a new non apex mission. Tells me its failed because the game is open.

Close the game and try and assign a team to a non apex mission. Tells me its failed because the game is open.

Practically everything about the UI/UX in this game is god fucking awful. Its an amazing game that is wrapped with a layer of irritation. Button prompts that change hotkeys. Buttons that move and switch places depending on where you are on screen. Everything to do with assigning skills and then undoing those changes. Assigning skills in different 'classes' being separate walled areas that you have to confirm you selections everytime you move between them. The loadout station being far away from the crafting station on the ship. Everything to do with knowing what mods you can or cannot put on. Not being able to change armor mods at forward stations. Everything to do with flying the ship and scanning. All things to do with voice chat in multiplayer. ETC ETC ETC

Seriously it could just continue.

I'm feeling really shitty today so this stuff is irritating me more than usual. The game is fantastic when you are actually playing, but good god they really need to fire their ui/ux guys. And I say that as someone who hates when people say they should fire people in game dev because, well, I am in game dev and I know how hard it can be and how many extenuating circumstances there are. But this is just incompentent.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yeah unfortunately quest flags and dialogue flags, especially dialogue flags, are just as rough as the rest of the game.

I get constant inappropriate dialogue lines, about mission objective areas for missions I completed fully hours ago, about the same dead colonist I scanned and reported hours ago. Even just driving through the middle of the desert and someone says something about exploring that ruin or check out that wreck and I'm like, there's nothing here. I'm panning the camera everywhere and...nope, this part of the map is empty.

Come to think of it I don't think any of my team mates have had a proper back and forth and I've been running around Eos for a few hours at least.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Is the Strike Mission functionality broken for anyone else? The app won't work and in game it kills my network connection.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
This discussion has been closed.