As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] CIVIL WAR!!!!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Thirty years is a long time.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Horizon: Zero Sympathy

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Bernie Sanders
    Pelosi's arm looks inhumanly long in that picture.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Pelosi's arm looks inhumanly long in that picture.

That 80s fashion

High waist plus the short and drapy sleeves

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Team Doge
    Playin Tyranny

Combat: ok this ain't so bad I'll just

Combat an hour later: FUCK YOU, YOU GODDAMN GROGNARDS YOU THOUGHT THIS SHIT WAS ENJOYABLE?

I'LL WEAR YOUR INTESTINES AS A PARTY FAVOR. SGIT ARGHLAGHLRERR

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Wow no one is playing Metal Gear Online on XBone anymore it seems. I just now started a character.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    the_voices_of_nerat.png

Tyranny's setting was so goddamn great and so not everything I complain about fantasy settings that I really ought to grit my teeth and bare the rest of it some day

but like

eeehhhhnn.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

Xenogears 100% speed run

30!!! Hours and thats with a faster text mod.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Team spool32
    Okay, so couple of things I love about Nier (when I can get it to run).

1.) The game will sometimes yank control of the camera to make sure you see a thing. It is almost always large and/or noticeable (sound, explosion, light) and therefore it gives the impression that it is A.) startling your character and B.) catching their attention. It's also really nice because it makes sure you notice the detail they put in, but without overstating it. I don't know if BotW is doing this as well, but it's a thing more games could have in it.

2.) The constant shifts in perspective, are nice, but it's also of note that the map is always cognizant of where you are. There is no impossible space, so if it tells you you are in a certain location, even if it shifted to side-scrolling it you will still see landmarks from other locations and even nearby that are like yes, this is how we got here. It's just kind of nice, nothing huge, but it's an easy way to help build immersion without beating you over the head.

3.) The hacking in this game is p. fun, but the best part about it is that during the mini-game it plays a chip-tune version of whatever BGM is going on at the time, layered over the actual BGM. Small detail, but that someone took the time is another example that if nothing else Cavia and the director Yoko Taro really do like to lavish attention to many areas that would be ignored in other games.

There's a lot more I love, but getting into too much would be spoilers outside of saying this, Nier 2 is definitely again proving the point that a change of perspective or finding out withheld information can change everything.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Team spool32
    PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

Xenogears 100% speed run

30!!! Hours and thats with a faster text mod.

Playing several of that era RPGS in a row conditioned me to think 60hrs was like bare minimum for a decent game.

It's a bit much.

• Options
    but like Tyranny had me, without even realizing it, making the kind of speech the villain gives to the hero in every movie, and genuinely believing my own arguments

and it's an early iron age late bronze age, none of this pseudo-renaissance hodgepodge mess everyone else is doing

and a truly fascinating setting

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Team Doge
    Playin Tyranny

Combat: ok this ain't so bad I'll just

Combat an hour later: FUCK YOU, YOU GODDAMN GROGNARDS YOU THOUGHT THIS SHIT WAS ENJOYABLE?

I'LL WEAR YOUR INTESTINES AS A PARTY FAVOR. SGIT ARGHLAGHLRERR

Have you considered gitting gud
    :3

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    But the combat was just anti-fun. Like without anything major, even. No point that made me yell OH THAT'S BULLSHIT like is so common.

It was just... boring, I guess? I dunno. I very slowly, almost imperceptibly, had less and less fun with the combat until it was like I was doing a chore.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    But the combat was just anti-fun. Like without anything major, even. No point that made me yell OH THAT'S BULLSHIT like is so common.

It was just... boring, I guess? I dunno. I very slowly, almost imperceptibly, had less and less fun with the combat until it was like I was doing a chore.

I was just about to ask how the combat was. Can you at least drop it to easy and ignore it?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

Yeah. Turning it all the way down to super easy (and thus super fast) is the only way I can cope

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Bernie Sanders
    What is Tyranny's combat system like?

I know I can google this but meh.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options

probably a lot like pillars of eternity if you played that

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Bernie Sanders

probably a lot like pillars of eternity if you played that

I didn't but I watched videos. Good enough. Thanks!

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Team spool32
    Oh, also, speaking of combat, forgot to mention this in my love letter to Nier 2.

You can definitely tell the game is made by Platinum. They even managed to sneak in features from their other games in the form of the chips you can install into yourself.

Which I should briefly mention, you have a certain amount of space to install chips, which range from HUD elements (thus allowing a high amount of customization for a console game IMO as far as HUD goes) to increasing attack power to straight up giving you new abilities.

For example, anyone who knows Bayonetta knows what Witch Time is. You perfectly dodge an attack, time stops for you for a bit and you can attack freely. Well guess what? That's a chip. Want to keep you combo going while dodging? That's a chip. Want to counter enemies? Chip.

Combine that with the fact that there are a decent number of weapons, they tend to get unique abilities as you level them up, and can be used in the Light and Heavy spots regardless of what they are and you're looking at a lot of customization. I actually have on my second slot a combo where I have a Greatsword in the light spot. It can only do about three hits before the combo finishes, but they are three wide area hits that do a lot of damage, and thanks to being in the "light" spot come out a little faster. Combine that with my ability to stop time on dodge, counter hits, and the amount of health I regen per enemy killed (which is tallied almost immediately) it really helps if I'm ever in a pinch and surrounded by a lot of enemies.

I'll stop before I ramble on too long, but seriously if you like good character action games combined with really good if bleak stories, Nier 2 is up your alley. Just get it on console instead of PC until they put the patches in to fix it.

• Options
    Team spool32
    Okay, I lied.

Another thing to love about the game is that just about everything you encounter is explained, even the systems. Sometimes to the point of breaking the fourth wall.

I mean it does help that you are dealing with androids, so it makes a little more sense that a machine might have some idea of it's overall "health" but I mean down to reason that saving works the way it does in the game.

Again, small details, most of which are tucked away enough that they don't hammer you over the head with it but finding them is just amazing. It shows that the writer really did put a lot of thought into this setting and story.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I didn't really mind the combat system apart from a lot more things requiring rests. Like I rest too often in faux-DnD games to begin with, but there were both the wounds as well as cooldown-feats to handle that way. Basically rested between all fight when I could.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Isn't scheck basically a prisoner of his own butt bit at this point

"Look it, I can be married to the most beautiful woman in the world, and I am. I can have the most beautiful little daughter in the world. I have that. But I’m nothing, if I can’t be me. If I can’t be true to myself, they don't mean anything."

-scheck, maybe

scheck can be whatever he wants to be as long as he checks with me first otherwise he gets a spanking

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    God damn these twin peaks promos got me so hyped

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    @Jacobkosh am I gonna have to go back and slog through the boring parts of twin peaks s2?

(I think I've got the fire walk with me DVD somewhere though Def want to rewatch that)

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    you can do this strike team

I believe in you

• Options
    Team Doge
    Honk wrote: »
    I didn't really mind the combat system apart from a lot more things requiring rests. Like I rest too often in faux-DnD games to begin with, but there were both the wounds as well as cooldown-feats to handle that way. Basically rested between all fight when I could.

The rest system is bad, yeah

Difficulty gets tuned around frequent resting, and frequent resting is tedious

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Coinage wrote: »
    A home cleaning service from Baltimore made a forum account.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/profile/discussions/Green Apple Cleaning Services Inc
    Dang it, apartment guy lives in Chicago

*nukes*

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Bernie Sanders
    redx wrote: »
    Hey wait, we can all unite and hate on how bad looking and unfun Andromeda seems.

But you do get to play as a girl with an AI that lives in her head and runs around doing technical support for sudoku based technology no one else understands.

No?

• Options
    Bernie Sanders
    Podly wrote: »
    Jacobkosh am I gonna have to go back and slog through the boring parts of twin peaks s2?

(I think I've got the fire walk with me DVD somewhere though Def want to rewatch that)

your fate is you must sit in the Black Lodge and watch Nadine in high school for all eternity

your misery is garmonbozia to the arm

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Echo wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    A home cleaning service from Baltimore made a forum account.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/profile/discussions/Green Apple Cleaning Services Inc
    Dang it, apartment guy lives in Chicago

*nukes*

Seems like a bit of an extreme solution

That would only make the apartment even more unlivable

Edit: though it wouldn't be the first time someone nuked Chicago to solve a bug problem

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    lol Greta Garbo'a pied-à-terre in NYC had 3 full bathrooms

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    @Jacobkosh will appreciate that post at least

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Team Doge
    I'm on the bus after walking out of the hardware store before the pieces click in my head and i go HEY WAIT A MINUTE THAT WAS A 50% MARKUP

ahhhh fuck it. not worth the effort to backtrack

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Excellent. Somebody just managed to tailgate into our office which takes at least two security doors. I know this as somebody just asked me where reception was as they have an interview here this morning

Frankly, she got this far. Let's just give her a desk and get her started

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Team Doge
    i bought 1/3rd of a 6m roll of tape and paid 1/2

hm

elementary school teacher would be disappoint

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular

Yes which is why there is scheck discord chat now

• Options
    edited March 2017
    this is a youtube ad for, of all things, an article series from the largest newspaper in norway, VG

it is very excellently made. Very HBO show intro inspired.

all you really need to get past the language barrier is the title translated: "The White Rage"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYiu1gUbLg

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Team Doge
    Neco wrote: »

whaaaaat

• Options
    a sure sign that I'm in a real lazy period and not going to be out any time soon is when my facial hair has gone beyond the point where it annoys, but I couldn't be arsed to shave more than my neck so I didn't

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »

whaaaaat

@surrealitycheck

This discussion has been closed.