As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Thread About [Pointless Arguments]

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    Convincing people they need baby wipes instead of just toilet paper is an insidious marketing ploy.

I'm not sure "actually removing the shit from your arsehole" counts as insidious.

That's what toilet paper does.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Convincing people they need baby wipes instead of just toilet paper is an insidious marketing ploy.

I'm not sure "actually removing the shit from your arsehole" counts as insidious.

And the three seashells.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Not really, no.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Thus human butt is part of the environment.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Not really, no.

^^^^^^^ this

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    For us non bidet folk I do have a tip.

Flushable baby wipes.

NEVER USE FLUSHABLE BABY WIPES. I don't care if they claim to be "flushable", they are not actually flushable. Just like the Democratic Republic of the Congo is not democratic or a republic. They will clog up your pipes and you will have to call a plumber and if you're very lucky, you'll only have to pay that plumber $500 to get it unclogged. A friend of mine had to pay $4000 to get his water system fixed because of those fucking things.

I don't flush mine, but rather dispose of them in a home bio hazard container (I share a house with a type 1 diabetic and a person with other medical needs, so we have one in each bathroom). And I search for brands/wipes that are biodegradable (I've found flushable styles to be more likely to be so), to help minimize my hygiene routine's environmental impact (I also avoid using/buying anything in nonrecyclible plastics, preferring recycled/recyclable cardboard and glass if possible, and I dispose of my razors in a sharps container with my roommate's hypos).

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Not really, no.

You work for them, don't you?

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    It was earlier posited that Star Trek makes no reference to pooping because they have done away with it or it is removed or the replicator food is completely absorbed.
    HOWEVER, I present to the court the following findings:

In a voyager episode, Neelix makes reference to the ship being down to only four lavatories.
    In a deep space nine episode, it is mentioned that a smuggled item was discovered in the waste extraction compartment of a shuttle.
    In Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, the brig CLEARLY possesses a toilet with the words "do not use while in spacedock".

That is all!

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Consider this scenario: You get poop on your forehead by some accident. Do you settle with wiping it away a little with dry toilet paper, or do you wash away that poop?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Ok, question: Is NASCAR a sport?

I've had this argument a few times and I've gone the way of yes only because of the risk of injury or death where poker isn't a sport and shouldn't be on ESPN.

• Options
    Honk wrote: »
    Consider this scenario: You get poop on your forehead by some accident. Do you settle with wiping it away a little with dry toilet paper, or do you wash away that poop?

Depends.

Is it my poop?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Sport vs game is a fun one. Members of Cambridge University Tiddlywinks Club defined a sport to me as anything with a degree of competition involving the chance to fail due to an inaccurate physical action.

By a massive coincidence, this meant tiddlywinks fit the criteria.

The best part about this discussion is that the only reason to argue about it is because of perceived superiority of "sport" over "game". It's not like the Jaffa cake discussion which had tax implications.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Honk wrote: »

Depends.

Is it my poop?

Yes, and specifically tuesday morning poop.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Y'now, if my butthole is a bit crusty, I don't mind

It's my butthole

It's not doing anything that requires sterile conditions, it's there for poop eviction, not food prep or invasive surgery

If it's not coming off on the paper, it's not coming off on my underwear, so who gives a literal shit

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Y'now, if my butthole is a bit crusty, I don't mind

It's my butthole

It's not doing anything that requires sterile conditions, it's there for poop eviction, not food prep or invasive surgery

If it's not coming off on the paper, it's not coming off on my underwear, so who gives a literal shit

This does not work. I have made that same mistake many times only to get home and find a brown road paved across dyed cotton fields.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Dinner or supper?

These are different goddamn things.

Not necesssrily

Supper is the evening meal, dinner is the largest hot meal of the day, often they coincide but often do not on Sundays.

Not in my America, pal.

Dinner is a sitdown meal in the middle of the day. Lunch is a quick meal in the middle of the day.

Supper is the evening meal that everyone's around for.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I just listened to to an NPR story in which the lack of an Oxford comma in a regulation is resulting in a ten million dollar class action lawsuit.

That is an appropriate cost for proper grammar. If I had my way, there'd be executions.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

I've had this argument a few times and I've gone the way of yes only because of the risk of injury or death where poker isn't a sport and shouldn't be on ESPN.

I personally think it's a huge waste of non-renewable resources, but I do respect the drivers for their endurance and ability to both control a car in high-g force conditions for 3+ hours, endure 100+ degree F conditions, and strategically think at the same time.

So I definitely think that NASCAR is an athletic endeavour, now does that make it a sport, that's in the eye of the beholder. I begrudgingly give it that moniker, but hate the left turn bullshit. I much prefer watching Formula 1, or other Grand Prix and open wheel leagues. Faster speeds, harder courses, and amazing vistas.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    I just listened to to an NPR story in which the lack of an Oxford comma in a regulation is resulting in a ten million dollar class action lawsuit.

That is an appropriate cost for proper grammar. If I had my way, there'd be executions.

I think it's safe to say

:cool:

the jury is no longer out on that one

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

I personally think it's a huge waste of non-renewable resources, but I do respect the drivers for their endurance and ability to both control a car in high-g force conditions for 3+ hours, endure 100+ degree F conditions, and strategically think at the same time.

So I definitely think that NASCAR is an athletic endeavour, now does that make it a sport, that's in the eye of the beholder. I begrudgingly give it that moniker, but hate the left turn bullshit. I much prefer watching Formula 1, or other Grand Prix and open wheel leagues. Faster speeds, harder courses, and amazing vistas.

It also takes a fair amount of skill go balance a brick with a garbage suspension, basically no aero, and a bunch of horsepower on the edge of grip and go fast, in a pack of 30 cars.

also, there is passing.

edit: and there are too many flags, making it the American Football of motorsport.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

I think the physicality/risks/athleticism arguments on the Sport/Not a Sport argument are all non starters.

You end up chasing down this rabbit hole to what is the smallest possible amount of physical interaction that still is still sufficient to count which has no clear answer.

I think the key component of something being a sport is direct head to head competition-generally an offensive and defensive component. I don't consider say Olympic gymnastics a sport. Its require incredible athletic talent, but its a competition not a sport. Nothing one person/team does opposes the other team. Now if the competitors threw dodgeballs at their rivals while they're doing their beam routine, maybe I'd change my mind.

I'd say edge towards yes, just because the drivers can and do oppose/block each other during the race. Unlike during most track and field events, where people just run against the clock in their own lane.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    It was earlier posited that Star Trek makes no reference to pooping because they have done away with it or it is removed or the replicator food is completely absorbed.
    HOWEVER, I present to the court the following findings:

In a voyager episode, Neelix makes reference to the ship being down to only four lavatories.
    In a deep space nine episode, it is mentioned that a smuggled item was discovered in the waste extraction compartment of a shuttle.
    In Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, the brig CLEARLY possesses a toilet with the words "do not use while in spacedock".

That is all!

NERD

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Edit: There are so many instances of action stars picking fights with actual tough guys and having their days ruined. It's actually one of my favorite things to read about.

The best is Seagal getting choked out by Gene LeBell

I just went and read this, and maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how it's 'the best'. It sounds like Seagal made an outrageous claim, was proven wrong, and allegedly proceeded to shit himself while unconscious.

I mean, if you just want to hear about Seagal shitting himself, sure, but it's not like he was humbled in a brutal and extended contest. He offered himself up as a lab rat in an incredibly stupid test, and was proven wrong.

Gene refusing to confirm it (at least in the interview I read), however, shows him to be a class act about it.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options

I think the physicality/risks/athleticism arguments on the Sport/Not a Sport argument are all non starters.

You end up chasing down this rabbit hole to what is the smallest possible amount of physical interaction that still is still sufficient to count which has no clear answer.

I think the key component of something being a sport is direct head to head competition-generally an offensive and defensive component. I don't consider say Olympic gymnastics a sport. Its require incredible athletic talent, but its a competition not a sport. Nothing one person/team does opposes the other team. Now if the competitors threw dodgeballs at their rivals while they're doing their beam routine, maybe I'd change my mind.

I'd say edge towards yes, just because the drivers can and do oppose/block each other during the race. Unlike during most track and field events, where people just run against the clock in their own lane.

So now my real question comes into play: Are eSports really sports? Because it does fit the criteria above: "Direct head to head competition-generally an offensive and defensive component."

And that's why I add the criteria of "Doing this activity as it's normally meant to be played, could result in serious injury or death" because I personally don't believe eSports count as sports, and then people try to point out stuff like NASCAR as not being a sport because "They are just sitting there driving in circles".

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Dinner or supper?

These are different goddamn things.

Not necesssrily

Supper is the evening meal, dinner is the largest hot meal of the day, often they coincide but often do not on Sundays.

Not in my America, pal.

Dinner is a sitdown meal in the middle of the day. Lunch is a quick meal in the middle of the day.

Supper is the evening meal that everyone's around for.

Breakfast -> Lunch -> Supper -> Dinner

Supper is the meal for farmers who just came in from a day of work and is after lunch but before the final meal of the day, which is dinner. Most people no longer eat supper, though in the south it's what you have after evening Church (many attend church twice on Sundays.)

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    If eSports are "sports" then so are Chess, Go, and Poker

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    NASCAR is definitely not a sport.

But also sport is garbage.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Someone has never had hemorrhoids before.

• Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

Hunting is sport as well. I definitely agree that the primary attributes of the term could be competitive, with an offense and defensive element. Maybe there being psychology to a degree involved as well could be relevant.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yeah. Sport doesn't have to mean "athletic."

• Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    Another consideration is the ability to display sportsmanship. And it is known that track and field, figure skating and gymnasts don't have any of that. Look at Gaby Douglas, the nerve! Or more seriously, Tonya Harding. Maybe her taking out the contract to break Kerrigan's leg is a type of sportsmanship...

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

so sports are only games? and most of the sports at the Olympics aren't sports?

that doesn't strike me as a very useful definition of sport. for one it makes sport a subset of games, instead of the other way around.

for the record, SportAccord uses the following criteria:
    have an element of competition
    be in no way harmful to any living creature
    not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football)
    not rely on any "luck" element specifically designed into the sport.

this gets around the physicality problem, while including things we think of as sport (athletics, football) and excluding things we don't think of as sport (poker, Mario Kart).

also makes NASCAR a sport. no reason why it shouldn't be.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

hemorrhoids are due to pooping wrong, not using toilet paper.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Julius wrote: »

No, they aren't. Their causes are many fold and not entirely known

And from context I believe that the reference is the difficulty that they present when attempting to achieve an acceptable level of cleanliness using only toilet paper.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    And sports are absolutely a subset of games... Though that runs headlong into the classic problem of the philosophy of language - what is a game?

• Options

Poker and Billards both are on ESPN, and for some reason I feel like I've seen Chess on one of the many other channels of ESPN. I know they've had some stuff that made me go "This is on ESPN?" before.

• Options
    Julius wrote: »

Wiping too hard / keeping your butt too dry (medically speaking) / trying too hard to poop / lots of other things lead to hemorrhoids. On top of that, baby wipes make it easier to wipe yourself in the event of having them. You have to be gentle.

But the point still stands that preventative care is better. Every toilet would come with a bidet if we lived in a better world because that goes a long way to helping too.

• Options
    What causes henroids?

• Options
    And sports are absolutely a subset of games... Though that runs headlong into the classic problem of the philosophy of language - what is a game?

ok true, but I was using "game" in the sense of "two groups working against each other". if all sports are games, it doesn't really help us define sport.

• Options
    What causes henroids?
    Henroids are due to shitposting wrong, not using toilet paper.