As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith] Rocksmith Plus more money

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I wish there were something in the game that covered strumming patterns. Or that they were listed in the song markup.

I think High and Dry by Radiohead and When I'm With You by Best Coast are the two easiest options for me to at least suss out a pattern. I've found Chordify and meticulously watching YouTube videos has at least gotten me some patterns to pretend I know. And practicing Man on the Moon by REM was good for D DU UDU. But it took many hours to actually smoothly get D DU UDUD DU UDUD DU UDU... The D DU UD D DU UD D DU UD... from Black Candy by Waxahatchee sort of bleeds together in my mind (probably because it just excises one strum).

I still mostly strum down on single-plucked notes in Rocksmith and that feels like it's probably not right. My hands don't keep up well in Damnit by Blink 182 during the power chord bonanza but they do fall into a pattern. I can keep up with the intro, but it's all down-strummed plucks.

Where are the secret strumming resources for someone with a terrible musical ear?

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    As I've said before, that's one thing I really wish Rocksmith handled better -- showing actual note lengths and measure breaks. Yeah, I know that the lines on the highway do that after a fashion, but it starts to fall apart pretty much any time you get much past eighth notes or if you start getting complex strumming patterns.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I've struggled with Rhythm forever. It's part of what bounces me off of Rocksmith after a while. bleh

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    It's probably not very helpful, but the best advice I can offer is to really just listen to the song a few times to hear the rhythm and then try to feel it when you play it. I think strumming is similar to picking (upstrokes versus downstrokes), not something you can realistically plot out in detail and something you just have to get a feel for.

I know I tend to do better in Rocksmith when I don't watch for the timing and instead just play along with the audio.

• Options
    When I took lessons from various teachers, the Left Brain part of me really struggles with Rhythm patterns. UD UD UD is easy. But at a variation to it? Blows my mind and I look like a wild animal trying to break guitar strings with a pick.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Where are the secret strumming resources for someone with a terrible musical ear?

My first advice for strumming patterns is to keep the movement of your hand/arm continuous. Your arm should always be moving to the beat, you're just selectively deciding when it strikes the strings. I.E. for D-DU-UDU don't get all herky jerky and try to just throw out the strums when they come. The down strums will naturally fall on the beats, you just need to pass over the strings at certain points. The above example is best thought of as D(U)DU(D)UDU where you don't play the parentheticals.

Some practice outside of Rocksmith can help here. A lot of justinguitar.com's early song are mostly strummy singalongs and he slowly goes through the strum pattern on each; the more variations you learn the easier it'll get. Basically you start by learning to just downstrum on every beat (D-D-D-D). Then you realize that's not a motion you can't do without also strumming up to get back to where you started, you're really playing D(U)D(U)D(U)D(U). So next you strum on every beat and the subdivisions, DUDUDUDU. Then you just need to pick a letter and remove it, and try that pattern until you've internalized it. Try DUD-DUDU. Try D-DUDUDU. Try DUDU-UDU (you might find skipping the down strokes trickier). Then try D-DU-UDU. Keep removing different strokes and trying different patterns until they become second nature.
    I still mostly strum down on single-plucked notes in Rocksmith and that feels like it's probably not right. My hands don't keep up well in Damnit by Blink 182 during the power chord bonanza but they do fall into a pattern. I can keep up with the intro, but it's all down-strummed plucks.

Down strokes on single notes is fine depending on the situation; there are a few schools of thought there. With Economy Picking, you go with the direction that saves the most movement; if you're playing a note on the 6th string followed by the 5th, you would down stroke each so that you pass through them without having to hop over one and come back up. Think sweeping. If you're sitting on one string for a while, it would be easier to pick both directions.

The rival school of Alternate Picking is very adamant about always alternative upstrokes and downstrokes (for a certain sound and potentially helping you maintain your rhythm), but even among the stricter proponents there's a habit of down strokes on the beat and saving upstrokes for subdivions (not unlike the strum patterns mentioned above). What you'll need to do depends on the moment. Downstrokes are louder and have a different tone; they're good for downbeats. Some genres like punk intentionally only use downstrokes for a more aggressive sound; I don't know if that's case for your Blink 182 song but the Ramones guitarist famously only strummed down and it's a signature part of the sound.

Either way, if you're only down strumming and can't keep up, alternating the direction of your picking will double your speed. Try some simple drills, like just repeating major scales alternate picking every note, until it becomes second nature.

Endaro on
  • Options
    This reminds me of what I’ve always wanted in Rocksmith. Fingering practice exercises. I used to have a ton I did on my own. But with riff repeater to speed up would be cool.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    This reminds me of what I’ve always wanted in Rocksmith. Fingering practice exercises. I used to have a ton I did on my own. But with riff repeater to speed up would be cool.

And more exercises that use the actual note highway from the game.

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    The DLC for April 23rd, 2019 is 2000s Mix Song Pack VI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gIgktXPyfI

“The Adventure” by Angels & Airwaves – E Standard – Bass; Capo Required - Lead/Rhythm
    “Party Hard” by Andrew W.K. – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Shiver” by Coldplay – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Bass; Custom Tuning:EABGBD# - Rhythm

Well, uh, the Angles and Airwaves song isn't too bad...

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Another pass. The Angels & Airwaves looks like it might be fun and it's the sort of thing I'd probably pick up if I had any interest in the rest of the songs in the pack, but … Oh, well, maybe next week.

• Options
    The DLC for April 30th, 2019 is Greta Van Fleet II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlirXhutLIU

“When The Curtain Falls” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Edge Of Darkness” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “You’re The One” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    Greta Van Fleet is an American rock band from Frankenmuth, Michigan, formed in 2012.

Greta Van Fleet's music has been categorized as hard rock and blues rock. Although all four members bonded over blues, each does have his own musical tastes: Jake gravitates towards rock and roll, Sam likes jazz, Danny prefers folk, and Josh likes world music. Jake said in an interview, "that all three brothers had listened to their parents' vinyl which included blues and folk music.

Other than their lead singer not having hear a single vocalist besides Robert Plant, they actually sound alright and the songs like kind of fun to play. Might have picked this one up if I hadn't injured myself too much to play right now.

Also, sorry for the late update. Work keeps me out of town a bit too much at this time of year.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I can't take this band seriously, but if people like their music then I'm all for it being included. Hard pass for me, though.

• Options
    an_alt wrote: »
    The DLC for April 30th, 2019 is Greta Van Fleet II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlirXhutLIU

“When The Curtain Falls” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Edge Of Darkness” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “You’re The One” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    Greta Van Fleet is an American rock band from Frankenmuth, Michigan, formed in 2012.

Greta Van Fleet's music has been categorized as hard rock and blues rock. Although all four members bonded over blues, each does have his own musical tastes: Jake gravitates towards rock and roll, Sam likes jazz, Danny prefers folk, and Josh likes world music. Jake said in an interview, "that all three brothers had listened to their parents' vinyl which included blues and folk music.

Other than their lead singer not having hear a single vocalist besides Robert Plant, they actually sound alright and the songs like kind of fun to play. Might have picked this one up if I hadn't injured myself too much to play right now.

Also, sorry for the late update. Work keeps me out of town a bit too much at this time of year.

Sorry about the injury; hope you're playing again soon.

I did pick it up. It's fun in a "Steve Harrington from Stranger Things starts a Led Zeppelin cover band" sort of way.

• Options
    I can't take this band seriously, but if people like their music then I'm all for it being included. Hard pass for me, though.

I'll admit I know nothing of them aside from the two DLC packs, but I can definitely understand not taking them seriously. I think Joe had it right that they seem more like a cover band, but not in such a way that the six songs really annoyed me. Now when Jet first came out and a friend played her CD through a few times, I got the distinct impression that I'd already heard every song by better bands and they did get on my nerves.

I can definitely see both a non-serious and fun vibes from GVF.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    This week: Cyndi Lauper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAMI6GoVc3U

“Girls Just Want To Have Fun” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “True Colors” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Time After Time” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Kind of an unexpected choice, but they're all fun songs.

• Options
    I'll probably get the whole pack eventually, but I'm definitely getting Time After Time now.

• Options
    I wanted She bop!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I would have never expected that dlc

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Clearly, Goonies were not good enough.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I wanted She bop!

Stop messing with your danger zone

• Options
    Now I'm sad they didn't give us DulcimerSmith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUVcULOQPqc

• Options
    The DLC for May 14th, 2019 is P.O.D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFc8T-q3cRc

“Youth Of The Nation” – D Drop C – Lead/Bass
    “Alive” – D Drop C – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Boom” – D Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    Payable on Death (abbreviated P.O.D.) is an American Christian nu metal band formed in 1992 and based in San Diego, California. The band's line-up consists of vocalist Sonny Sandoval, drummer and rhythm guitarist Wuv Bernardo, lead guitarist Marcos Curiel, and bassist Traa Daniels. They have sold over 12 million records worldwide. Over the course of their career, the band has received three Grammy Award nominations, contributed to numerous motion picture soundtracks and toured internationally. With their third studio album, The Fundamental Elements of Southtown, they achieved their initial mainstream success; the album was certified platinum by the RIAA in 2000.

Not a fan of nu metal, nor those tunings, so this one is a pass for me. Hope this scratches an itch for some of you.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Yeah, likewise.

And just watching the note highway for some of those stretches in Alive made my hand hurt.

• Options
    The DLC for May 21st, 2019 is Classic Melody Song Pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHl4o5Zspj0

“When The Saints Go Marching In” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Frère Jacques” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass
    “Amazing Grace” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass

I might actually pick this up since it's only a few bucks. Some of the tracks look good for warmup and such.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    I did pick it up but I'm still waiting for it to show up in my library (or, more properly, as a Steam update for Rocksmith).

• Options
    Soooooo... doing some guitar lessons again. This guy teaches all instruments and was in Wayne Newton's band for years. He's old. Anywho, I'm about 3 or so lessons in with him, and doing a stupid kids book learning to read music. And he's shown me about 4 fingering exercises that Glenn Campbell taught him. So he's already complained about my left hand and how my fingers are too far away from the strings when their not being used. Specifically my 3rd and 4th. I've been working on them and only my Pinky now still likes to fly up making the distance it has to cover really far. But it's getting better though I really can't control that damn finger! Today? He starts in on my right hand. So for 30+ or self teaching, instructors, videos, etc. it would seem I've been holding my pick wrong. I THOUGHT I might have been but never could find out for sure till now. Yup, I'm the guy holding my pick parallel with the strings. Making it hard to punch through rapidly. So he has me adjust my pick a little bit in my fingers and then tilt it about 45 degress and low and behold my speed jumped instantly. Now I just have problems finding the right strings as I'm attacking them from a different position.

tldr: I'm old and suck but getting better. Also my 14 year old is taking drum kit lessons and playing with his "rock band" class on Saturdays. We bought him a kit for the house :( The 3.5 year old is taking Piano and really enjoying it.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Soooooo... doing some guitar lessons again. This guy teaches all instruments and was in Wayne Newton's band for years. He's old. Anywho, I'm about 3 or so lessons in with him, and doing a stupid kids book learning to read music. And he's shown me about 4 fingering exercises that Glenn Campbell taught him. So he's already complained about my left hand and how my fingers are too far away from the strings when their not being used. Specifically my 3rd and 4th. I've been working on them and only my Pinky now still likes to fly up making the distance it has to cover really far. But it's getting better though I really can't control that damn finger! Today? He starts in on my right hand. So for 30+ or self teaching, instructors, videos, etc. it would seem I've been holding my pick wrong. I THOUGHT I might have been but never could find out for sure till now. Yup, I'm the guy holding my pick parallel with the strings. Making it hard to punch through rapidly. So he has me adjust my pick a little bit in my fingers and then tilt it about 45 degress and low and behold my speed jumped instantly. Now I just have problems finding the right strings as I'm attacking them from a different position.

tldr: I'm old and suck but getting better. Also my 14 year old is taking drum kit lessons and playing with his "rock band" class on Saturdays. We bought him a kit for the house :( The 3.5 year old is taking Piano and really enjoying it.

I'm actually kind of scared to see what bad habits I've picked up over the years, even though I started with lessons. I bought my son (10) his first guitar about a year ago and he picked it up twice and hasn't touched it since. He's not a fan of having to work at something. He says he wants to play drums now, but other than no way in hell am I having a drum kit in my house, I know it'd be the same thing.

In Rocksmith news, I've recently been watching old music videos from the 80's and 90's, stuff I either never saw or didn't pay much attention to, and found a song by The Stone Roses that I really liked ("I Wanna Be Adored", I only ever heard their one hit, Love Spreads, back in the day and didn't care for it). I had the idea to see if it was on Rocksmith, and sure enough, it was. Grabbed it and played it a few times. I'm not a fan of the pentatonic stuff the guy does here and there (it just feels basic and out of place to the song, to me), but I really enjoy everything else about it.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I didn't play a ton of Rocksmith before, but a few months ago I tried to play it again and it just stopped recognizing my guitar at all.

I don't care enough to troubleshoot.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular

I find picking technique fascinating. I think because plectrum guitar is such a folk instrument we tend to assume whatever we try first or whatever comes naturally is the best way. On the other hand, right hand theory and technique for classical fingerstyle is very in depth after the centuries of work. I think there's often a lot to learn and improve there for pick players, because we spend so much time on the left hand (it often seems like what needs the most focus, being the offhand and playing all those notes and patterns).

If anyone interested has the time, check out Tuck (of Tuck and Patti) Andress' article about right hand technique: http://archive.is/5Hrj8.

I don't agree with all of his conclusions, but he knows a lot more about guitar than I and it's very in depth.

There's also a lot of talk about Troy Grady's YouTube series on downward pick slanting, but I haven't gone through them yet.

• Options
    Endaro wrote: »
    There's also a lot of talk about Troy Grady's YouTube series on downward pick slanting, but I haven't gone through them yet.

I was actually about to suggest "Cracking the Code", if nothing else because it's very well made and fun to watch. I particularly like it because his musical journey kind of mirrored my own, at least as far as bands were concerned. He has some very good information in there that, while maybe not for everyone, can at least make you think about how you approach the instrument.

• Options
    The DLC for May 28th, 2019 is 5 Seconds of Summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAOKDhriC-c

“Amnesia” – DADGAD – Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Bass
    “She’s Kinda Hot” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “She Looks So Perfect” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    5 Seconds of Summer, often shortened to 5SOS, are an Australian pop rock band from Sydney, New South Wales, formed in 2011. The group consists of lead vocalist and rhythm guitarist Luke Hemmings, lead guitarist Michael Clifford, bassist Calum Hood, and drummer Ashton Irwin. They were originally YouTube celebrities, posting videos of themselves covering songs from various artists during 2011 and early 2012.

5 Seconds of Summer's musical style has been described as pop rock, pop punk, power pop, and pop.Rolling Stone magazine called them "emo-gone-pop". Matt Collar of AllMusic found a reminiscent of "'90s punk-pop" and "2000s boy band pop" in their sound. John Feldmann of Goldfinger stated that, "this is the best pop-punk band I've ever heard"

My first thought was anthem rock without the rock, but I can kinda see the boy-band comments. Hope some of you like it.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    It's learnin' time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCeDfcal5r4

“Guitar – Easy Linear Playing Exercise 1” – E Standard - Lead
    “Guitar – Easy String Switching Exercise 1” – E Standard - Lead
    “Guitar – Easy String Skipping Exercise 1” – E Standard - Lead
    “Guitar – Easy Hammer-On Exercise 1” – E Standard - Lead
    “Guitar – Easy Pull-Off Exercise 1” – E Standard - Lead

“Bass – Easy Linear Playing Exercise 1” – E Standard - Bass
    “Bass – Easy String Switching Exercise 1” – E Standard - Bass
    “Bass – Easy String Skipping Exercise 1” – E Standard - Bass
    “Bass – Easy Hammer-On Exercise 1” – E Standard - Bass
    “Bass – Easy Pull-Off Exercise 1” – E Standard - Bass

I like the idea, but unfortunately I'm not super thrilled with the implementation -- these specific exercises, at least, are very basic (what you see in the video is pretty much exactly what you get) and they start very slow and gradually increase tempo to still not very fast at all.

I'll be interested to see more advanced exercises in the future, though.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    I'll be interested to see more advanced exercises in the future, though.

Coming soon, a pack curated by John Petrucci and Marty Friedman:

"What fucking scale is that?!"

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Well, they are called "easy". I saw the announcement and liked the idea, but I knew these wouldn't be for me. Even if they were for more advanced players, I'd rather just run the metronome myself. I think they'll be great for a lot of people, though.

• Options
    Well, they are called "easy". I saw the announcement and liked the idea, but I knew these wouldn't be for me. Even if they were for more advanced players, I'd rather just run the metronome myself. I think they'll be great for a lot of people, though.

For me personally, the bass ones will probably turn out to be more helpful. I should also probably lean heavily into the string skipping exercises.

• Options
    Yeah, string skipping is one of those things that seems pretty basic, but it's something amazing players can struggle with at high speeds, at some point. Picking technique becomes a lot more important in those instances.

• Options
    Yeah, string skipping is one of those things that seems pretty basic, but it's something amazing players can struggle with at high speeds, at some point. Picking technique becomes a lot more important in those instances.

Oh god, yes. It's something I didn't start trying to perfect till just a few years ago, I'd compensated for not skipping well by going overboard with palm muting to prevent excess notes/strings ringing and made my fast scales sound muddy as hell.

Lately I've been trying to improve my sweeping/raking, but it's been slow going. But I did at least find a piece that can be broken down into practicable chunks fairly easily and has lots of 3-6 string sweeps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScMsdLKhiyI

That is the hardest I've ever seen Jeff Loomis have to concentrate running a piece and it's borderline depressing to consider that Jason Becker recorded it at like 19. I can do most of the main runs to around 70% tempo (80-85bmp), but going full speed is just brutal.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Oh god, yes. It's something I didn't start trying to perfect till just a few years ago

I'm in the exact same boat. I started playing around 1992, and learned quickly, but was never good at lead stuff. I could play pretty much any Metallica or Megadeth rhythm riff, but anything approaching a solo just made my fingers turn to mush. I just assumed I wasn't a lead player and went on with my life. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I picked up the guitar again after a long absence and actually started practicing, and my lead ability developed way beyond what I thought I could do. I'm still what I would consider "barely adequate", but the right practice can work wonders.

• Options

Oh god, yes. It's something I didn't start trying to perfect till just a few years ago

I'm in the exact same boat. I started playing around 1992, and learned quickly, but was never good at lead stuff. I could play pretty much any Metallica or Megadeth rhythm riff, but anything approaching a solo just made my fingers turn to mush. I just assumed I wasn't a lead player and went on with my life. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I picked up the guitar again after a long absence and actually started practicing, and my lead ability developed way beyond what I thought I could do. I'm still what I would consider "barely adequate", but the right practice can work wonders.

Watching that video and I'm reminded that TBH, one of the biggest challenges I face with RS in particular is that it's difficult to look from the note highway to the fretboard and back, especially when I have to do some kind of big shift from the bottom to the top of the neck or something like that.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    JOE_1967 wrote: »

Watching that video and I'm reminded that TBH, one of the biggest challenges I face with RS in particular is that it's difficult to look from the note highway to the fretboard and back, especially when I have to do some kind of big shift from the bottom to the top of the neck or something like that.

That's something I've noticed I've improved greatly on by using Rocksmith. Not only just looking at the screen and moving my hands where they need to be, but also stuff like glancing down and picking out the 16th fret without really processing it.

Sir Carcass on