As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rocksmith] Rocksmith Plus more money

an_altan_alt Registered User regular
edited July 2021 in Games and Technology
rs-global-header-logo-i8a8.png

This post is mostly stolen from banned user Tommatt. I was hoping someone else would start a new thread, but it looks like I'll have to do it.

So what is Rocksmith? Rocksmith is a rhythm game like RockBand, but not really. It has a cable that allows you to plug in a guitar, any guitar (or bass) and play along to songs. There are various game elements, but its actually designed to teach you songs and the guitar. Songs will start very simple, and as you progress, you will unlock the whole song. It is flowing tab basically. It also has mini games, and lessons, designed to teach you various aspects of guitar. One nice thing about Rocksmith compared to Rockband 3 Pro mode, is any guitar works, and it actually listens to the sound. Which means you can use different fingerings on cords, or say play an open string or on the 5th fret on the string above it, as it is the same note. It's all personal preference. Another awesome feature is you can improvise when there's nothing on screen, and not lose points for it.

Here's an 8/10 review from Gamespot. Keep in mind that this is for Rocksmith 2014, not Rocksmith Remastered, which is a free update to 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KNo1wNwj0w

An introduction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaXQLYS8kL4

The official trailer for Rocksmith 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARNpfTdjbIg

One of the coolest features is the session mode, which is like a customized backing track, but much better. Here's how it works:

https://youtu.be/1mAehvLEzL0

So what about the different versions?

Rocksmith is the original, older, and frankly inferior game. If you already own it or get it on sale for cheap, you can pay an extra $10 to add the songs to 2014/Remastered.

Rocksmith 2014 was a huge improvement that came with a new set of songs and features. When most people say Rocksmith, they're probably referring to 2014.

Rocksmith Remastered is a free upgrade to 2014. It added a ton of quality of life improvements and is better in pretty much every way. If have 2014, you now have Remastered.

With that, let's get playing!

New DLC stopped production in 2020. Looking forward to seeing what's next for the team!

Pony wrote:
I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
an_alt on

• an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
    The March 21, 2017 DLC is the Skid Row Pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWlWhYUPY2c

"18 and Life" - E Standard
    "I Remember You" - E Standard
    "Monkey Business" - E Standard
    "Slave to the Grind" - Drop D
    "Youth Gone Wild" - E Standard

Pony wrote:
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Aww yeah

Anyone actually try out that acoustic guitar mode they added a while ago?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Query: Is the official Ubisoft Rocksmith Real Tone cable the only supported USB cable for the PC version?

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Is there a recommended guitar or list of guitars for people with basically zero experience that are thinking of picking this up in order to learn guitar? Basically something on the cheaper side that's still decent quality but good for a learner with the potential for upgrading if they like it.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Lorek wrote: »
    Is there a recommended guitar or list of guitars for people with basically zero experience that are thinking of picking this up in order to learn guitar? Basically something on the cheaper side that's still decent quality but good for a learner with the potential for upgrading if they like it.

Guitars are all about wood type and pickups. You can upgrade and install new pickups, but you're stuck with the wood used for the neck and body. I would go with a sub-$150 guitar like a Fender Squier Stratocaster (Alder body, Maple neck/fret); also, check local pawnshops, you can usually find used guitars discounted quite a bit

Zavian on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Query: Is the official Ubisoft Rocksmith Real Tone cable the only supported USB cable for the PC version?

Yes, although people have reportedly been able to get other interfaces to work on the PC side. Ubisoft won't help you with them though.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Skid Row is one of my top 10 favorite bands. Can't wait to get some of these!

Yeah, that's the only official way. Otherwise, there's a no cable patch you can use, but it's similar to using a crack (since the cable is basically part of the game's DRM). If you can find a game+cable bundle, you can sometimes get the cable cheaper. All of the different console and PC versions use the same cable. Sub-$40 is a pretty good price for it, though. You can also use it for amp modelers and recording with DAW's. It's what I currently use.

One I see recommended a lot is the Epiphone Les Paul Special II. That's just an example of one, you don't have to get that one from Guitar Center. I haven't personally played one, but it gets good reviews. I'd also recommend finding a local guitar store that has a luthier on staff and have him do a setup on the guitar once you get it, whatever you choose. This will make it play as good as possible, so you aren't fighting the instrument while learning to play it.

From what I understand, there's only one official Rocksmith cable. If find a copy of the original Rocksmith for Xbox with a cable, you can use that for Remastered on your PC. I've heard that the workaround for non-official cables does work, but the results suck.

Pony wrote:

Check the second post. The Reddit one seemed to be the best one I could find.

Pony wrote:
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    This probably should be pointed out here too. All but some of the most recent Rocksmith DLC is on sale on steam right now for 40% off.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    The March 28 DLC is the Skater Rock Pack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JbMDpKxaLk

“Superman” by Goldfinger – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/ Bass
    “You” by Bad Religion – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “May 16” by Lagwagon – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “When Worlds Collide” by Powerman 5000 – Eb Drop Db – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “No Cigar” by Millencolin – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Pony wrote:
    edited March 2017
    holy shit

edit: It's basically a Tony Hawk Pro Skater pack in all but name

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    holy shit

edit: It's basically a Tony Hawk Pro Skater pack in all but name

Yep. I'll get the whole thing for that reason.

Millencolin - No Cigar is so fun, you guys.

• JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Yay! New thread!

edited April 2017
    The April 4, 2017 DLC pack is Pearl Jam 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXvahVxtZYQ

“Even Flow” – E Standard – Lead; Drop D - Rhythm/Bass; Open D – Alt Rhythm
    “Rearviewmirror” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Do The Evolution” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Last Exit” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Yellow Ledbetter – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "Ten Minute Rant About George W. Bush" - E Standard

Will probably be picking this one up when it goes on sale.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    an_alt wrote: »
    The April 4, 2017 DLC pack is Pearl Jam 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXvahVxtZYQ

“Even Flow” – E Standard – Lead; Drop D - Rhythm/Bass; Open D – Alt Rhythm
    “Rearviewmirror” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Do The Evolution” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Last Exit” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Yellow Ledbetter – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Will probably be picking this one up when it goes on sale.

Yeah that's a pretty awesome pack. I love all of those songs. I wonder what they will put for the lyrics of yellow ledbetter :)

steam_sig.png

• Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    I was a huge Pearl Jam fan, and heard of the legendary Yellow Ledbetter from other fans back in the pre internet days. Never heard it, as it was only available on bootlegs etc. By the time I had my own computer to check things out, Pearl Jam broke my heart (cough cough RIOT ACT), I didn't care about them anymore, and to this day I have still never heard the song.

So I'll be getting this.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
    I'll probably get Yellow Bedwetter, even though I have it as CDLC, but I'm not a big Pearl Jam fan outside of a handful of songs.

• EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    I was a huge Pearl Jam fan, and heard of the legendary Yellow Ledbetter from other fans back in the pre internet days. Never heard it, as it was only available on bootlegs etc. By the time I had my own computer to check things out, Pearl Jam broke my heart (cough cough RIOT ACT), I didn't care about them anymore, and to this day I have still never heard the song.

So I'll be getting this.

I'm surprised, it got quite a lot of radio play. One of the few songs after the Ten album anyone seemed to care enough about to play on the radio.

• Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Endaro wrote: »
    Raybies666 wrote: »

So I'll be getting this.

I'm surprised, it got quite a lot of radio play. One of the few songs after the Ten album anyone seemed to care enough about to play on the radio.

I'm in Ireland, hearing Pearl Jam on the radio was super rare in the first place.

Is anyone else having a problem downloading the Pearl Jam pack? I bought it on the Xbox website and it didn't appear on my xbone. It's not on the in-game store either.

I then downloaded it on my 360, where it appears to download suspiciously fast and then is not in my hard drive. This is odd.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
    The DLC for April 11, 2017 is Variety Pack IX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAEIow-fHJA

“Banana Pancakes” by Jack Johnson – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “All Mixed Up” by 311 – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Surfing With The Alien” by Joe Satriani – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Let It Go” by James Bay – D Standard – Lead/Rhythm; C# Standard - Bass

Pony wrote:
    Hmmm ... May have to pick that up even though just reading the name Satriani causes my fingers to fall off of my hands.

Jack Johnson is...an odd choice, but I guess they do have that acoustic game mode now.

steam_sig.png

The DLC for April 18, 2017 is Bob Marley & The Wailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uy4jfbMUG0

“Could You Be Loved" – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass; Drop D - Alt Lead
    “Buffalo Soldier" – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “No Woman, No Cry" – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Redemption Song” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "Is This Love" - E Standard - Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Looks like a fairly mellow pack that will be a next sale purchase for me.

Pony wrote:
    The DLC for April 25, 2017 is Royal Blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7CxTGGRqz8

“Figure It Out" – E Standard – Bass/Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm
    “Little Monster" – C Standard – Bass/Rhythm/Alt Lead/Alt Bass; E Standard - Lead
    “Out Of The Black" – D Standard – Bass/Lead/Rhythm

Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure the Royal Blood fans will be happy.

Pony wrote:
    This week:

Hooked On A Feeling" by Blue Swede – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Go All The Way" by Raspberries – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Moonage Daydream" by David Bowie – E Standard –Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Come And Get Your Love" by Redbone – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Yes. Oh, yes.

You beat me to it.

The May 5, 2017 DLC is the Guardians of the Galaxy Soundtrack Mix Tape Song Pack.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roi2GGArX5Y

Pony wrote:
    Guistar-Lord

Sheryl Crow this week.

“If It Makes You Happy” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass
    “My Favorite Mistake” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Soak Up The Sun” – E Standard –Lead/Bass; Capo Required: Rhythm

No "Strong Enough"?

Boooooo

Sorry, was out of town. Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHIxN_ghB4g

Pony wrote:
    edited May 2017
    The DLC for May 15th is the Grateful Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76eyls9cUEU

“Friend Of The Devil” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Sugar Magnolia” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Truckin’” – E Standard –Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass
    “Uncle John’s Band” – E Standard –Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Casey Jones” – E Standard –Lead/Rhythm/Bass

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    The DLC for May 15th is the Grateful Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76eyls9cUEU

“Friend Of The Devil” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Sugar Magnolia” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Truckin’” – E Standard –Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass
    “Uncle John’s Band” – E Standard –Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Casey Jones” – E Standard –Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Purchased.

I think the URL explains this one fairly well - blog.ubi.com/rocksmith-coming-ios-soft-launch-starts-today/

Pony wrote:
    I think the URL explains this one fairly well - blog.ubi.com/rocksmith-coming-ios-soft-launch-starts-today/

Hmmm ... I'm guessing it would be using the mike on the iPad or whatever? My chief questions would be: Will it bring over my song library from the other version of the game, and will the "new" songs (whatever they are) be available on the other version?

It looks like an electric instrument will actually be able to connect to your iPad somehow

steam_sig.png

Ah -- Another cable, then, I'm guessing.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    hell yeah more dongles